: 2010 Camaro, Mustang, Challenger: Which Ponycar is more popular in your area?

ben.gators
03-28-10, 05:38 AM
It was so exciting to me to hear that in 2010 we would have three legendary Ponycars, Mustang, Camaro, and Challenger in streets.

Right now enough time has passed to judge which of these three companies, GM, Ford, or Dodge, has been more successful in attracting the costumers and sending these beautiful beasts to streets.

As far as I read, statistics say that Camaro 2010 has outsold Ford 2010, and Challenger is in the third place. However in streets I can see some thing different. As far as I see it seems that in our area, Arizona Sun Valley, Mustang is more popular than Camaro, but Challenger is still the third. I assume these three cars have different situation in different cities and states. It can be fun to compare the popularity of these cars in different cities.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2di3ofa.jpg

Jesda
03-28-10, 05:45 AM
Everyone and their dog owns a Mustang. They're cheap, widely available, and friendly.

Sandy
03-28-10, 01:16 PM
Northern New Jersey

Mustangs are number one. Challengers are a strong #2 and Camaros are a distant 3rd. This is with guys. When looking at the same cars, female-driven, that is, the Camaro is #1, the Mustang is #2 and the Challenger is like # 5 :) I think that is because dealers mostly stock Hi Po Challengers and few (if any) 6-Cyl. Challengers, which is what the girls buy.

Dodge is also keeping it interesting by releasing new exterior paint colors every month! It's like the color-of-the-Month program, that Ford had in 1967, when they fronted 27 colors in one year, on the Mustangs.

Alot opf guys are - lets say "ROBUST" due to beer, cola, snacks, cookies and did I say....Beer? The Challenger's interior is huge, when compared to the Camaro/Mustang, and that might be a reason also for its popularity with guys.
It's definately the largest car of the 3.

Kick94sts
03-28-10, 04:28 PM
I never see any of them where I live hardly. 1 new camaro in town that's it. Other than that it's grand prix's and prius's.

V-Eight
03-28-10, 05:12 PM
I think Mustangs are number one pretty well everywhere. Camaros and Challengers are pretty well tied in my area though, both are still fairly rare.

eldorado99
03-28-10, 05:48 PM
Mustangs by far. Camaros are starting to show up a little more now. Challengers are pretty rare; I see maybe one per week.

concorso
03-28-10, 06:35 PM
Id guess Mustangs outnumber Camaros+Challengers, 2 - 1, maybe even 3 - 1.

Destroyer
03-29-10, 08:58 AM
Same here in Florida. I do see many of each on a daily basis but the Mustang in higher numbers for sure. I too was excited about the Camaro and Challenger but in all honesty the problem I have with all these cars is the fact that they are everywhere. ;)

Lord Cadillac
03-29-10, 12:54 PM
Once the 5.0 comes out, we'll be seeing a lot more Mustang GTs.. I don't know why anybody would buy the Challenger with the Camaro and Mustang available...

billc83
03-29-10, 01:15 PM
I've been seeing more and more Camaros lately. They're popping up everywhere, but the Mustang is by far the most ubiquitous. The Challenger is a distant third, I haven't seen any of those for some time.

Submariner409
03-29-10, 01:45 PM
Baltimore/DC/Annapolis = Mustang by far. All models, colors, mods and tunes. There are some scary fast late model Mustangs around here.

Aron9000
03-29-10, 02:42 PM
If we are talking strictly 2010 models, the Camaro is by far more popular. That being said, there are lot more Mustangs around here if you consider all years. As far as older cars go, I see more 1960's Camaros than 60's Mustangs. Challengers are a rare site around here, new or vintage.

Also, I see way more C5 and C6 Vettes in Nashville than I do new Camaros or 4th gen Trans Ams/Camaros.

Stingroo
03-29-10, 03:18 PM
^ Sounds identical to Florida.

93DevilleUSMC
03-29-10, 04:35 PM
Around Atlanta, the Camaro and Challenger seem to be equally popular, but still ahead of the Mustang. I attribute that to the hip-hop and urban communities, which have always had appreciation for retro American body styles (Challenger) and the newest, sleekest, and hottest (Camaro). The Mustang is solid and a beautiful design, but it just doesn't match the Camaro and Challenger in the qualities I mentioned.

Sandy
03-29-10, 08:16 PM
Coming home this late afternoon, I was in back of a Challenger R/T at a light. As I waited, another Challenger
was at the other side street corner and he turned my way and the guy in front of me honked and the turning guy honked back
and he had a huge smile on his face.

orconn
03-29-10, 08:26 PM
Coming home this late afternoon, I was in back of a Challenger R/T at a light. As I waited, another Challenger
was at the other side street corner and he turned my way and the guy in front of me honked and the turning guy honked back
and he had a huge smile on his face.

Sounds like the MG and Jag guys when I was growing up back in the fifties!

AlBundy
03-29-10, 09:06 PM
2010 Camaros>Challenger> Mustangs.

ben.gators
03-29-10, 10:34 PM
Wow, it is interesting to see how the flavor of people in US is a function of the place that they live! I can see totally different answers from different regions!

Destroyer
03-29-10, 11:42 PM
Once the 5.0 comes out, we'll be seeing a lot more Mustang GTs.. I don't know why anybody would buy the Challenger with the Camaro and Mustang available...I'd take the SRT Challenger over the Mustang or Camaro. My friend has a heavily modded '08 Steeda Mustang w/Saleen supercharger and other mods. Makes 450+ rwhp. Other than speed I'm just not all that impressed by the car. The Camaro is real ugly and the Challenger is the truest incarnation of the quintessential "muscle car".

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-29-10, 11:42 PM
Around Minnesota...probably the Mustang as #1, then the Camaro, then the Challenger. Even though the Challenger has been around longer, I still see more 5th gen Camaros.

Lord Cadillac
03-30-10, 11:13 AM
the Challenger is the truest incarnation of the quintessential "muscle car".

I guess mainly the size?

Sandy
03-30-10, 11:53 AM
Well, yes, the interior room (size); but also the truest engine to that of the original Hemi, 426 Cu. In. and the style of the dash, the exterior colors, the similiar "idea" taillights, doorpanels are similiar, but improved. I drove one, the 5.9 Litre, not the 426 Full Hemi, one step down from that, and I had a huge smile on my face the whole time. The wife DID NOT share my love of it.
She is totally dedicated to Jeep(s), drives a Cherokee Limited. 4X4 2001
(XJ) The Original. Me? I am still awaiting a SRT-8 Convertible, if they make it - it will be black-on-black with white leather interior. R/T Full Hemi
with an automatic tranny. I don't like shifting. I m lazy.

Stingroo
03-30-10, 12:08 PM
They don't offer a 426 in the Challenger.

The 6.1 for the SRT-8 ends up being 372 ci.

And oh god... a Convertible Challenger... :drool: :drool: :drool:

V-Eight
03-30-10, 05:29 PM
^ Not to mention its a 5.7, not a 5.9 :P

Convertibles = gay, they ruin the lines of the car.

MacMuse
03-30-10, 10:40 PM
I like that picture in the OP. But do we really need all three to have the same recessed headlight design cue?

Destroyer
03-30-10, 11:15 PM
Convertibles = gay, they ruin the lines of the car.I don't think so, in fact I like the way most cars look as convertibles more than how they do ordinarily. I really enjoy convertibles. Verts amplify my driving pleasure ten fold. :thumbsup:

Sandy
03-30-10, 11:46 PM
I love convertibles, too. I own 2 right now. ascMcLarens. (and) I am NOT Gay. I have a 26 year old son, who is a CPA and is now back in NYU Law School, married to the same woman for 30 years So I like Convertibles. Sorry if that offends you!

So, it's not a 426 ? I still really like the car. It's got great lines, is true to the original design, has alot of interior room and a great interior. Way better than Camaro's thin creeky plastic and park-bench back seat, and silly looking slitty-eyed taillamps.

Sandy
03-30-10, 11:51 PM
I love convertibles, too. I own 2 right now. ascMcLarens. (and) I am NOT Gay. I have a 26 year old son, who is a CPA and is now back in NYU Law School, married to the same woman for 30 years. So, I like Convertibles!!

So, it's not a 426 ? I still really like the car. It's got great lines, is true to the original design, has alot of interior room and a great interior. Way better than Camaro's thin creeky plastic and park-bench back seat, and silly looking slitty-eyed taillamps.

V-Eight
03-31-10, 12:01 AM
I love convertibles, too. I own 2 right now. ascMcLarens. (and) I am NOT Gay. I have a 26 year old son, who is a CPA and is now back in NYU Law School, married to the same woman for 30 years So I like Convertibles. Sorry if that offends you!

I didn't call you gay, but that damn emoticon popped in lol. I meant to just say GAY due to the fact that it ruins the lines. I still prefer T-tops because its the best of both worlds.

orconn
03-31-10, 12:37 AM
I have always preferred convertibles if given a choice. But I have to say that for many years now that thew wind shield slope so far into the cabin that for the driver, at least it makes one feel much more closed in than the old convertibles of the fifties and sixties. In that vintage convertible you put the top down abd you feel really liberated. I don't agree that the "T Top" is good substitute, not if you know what the real Mc coy is like. The trouble with bit the new cars windshield that sweep back until they almost cover the driver's head and the T-top which does, in fact, cover the driver's head is that the driver still feels like he is in a closed car so there is really no point in putting up with some of the inconveniences of a true convertible.

Give me back my '62 Cadillac convertible or an '64 Olds Sarfire convertible or an Alfa Romeo Spider and I'd be a happy man!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-31-10, 12:38 AM
I've never been one for convertibles...I dunno why, I just never liked 'em. I do like t-tops & sunroofs though. After having a sunroof in the S320 and not having one in the GS, I really miss it.

orconn
03-31-10, 12:51 AM
I never found a sun roof much of a substitute for a convertible. I had always thought they would be neat until I actually had one. After the novelty wore off I never used it. They also gave trouble as the cars got older, so I always tried to avoid having one if it could be avoided. Never had a T-top; from what I heard from friends they were leaky, rattly things that took up space when they were being used, kind of a half-assed idea that fell out of use with the improvements in son roofs. T-tops also looked cheap and did nothing for the lines of the car.

V-Eight
03-31-10, 01:27 AM
T-tops allowed the lines of the car to remain exactly the same, which is why I liked them. But yes, leaking was a pretty major issue with them which was certainly a downside

Aron9000
03-31-10, 03:26 AM
I'll comment here since I've owned all three:

1999 Z28, t-top- Wasn't a huge fan of that mess. Mainly they cluttered up the lines of the car IMO, especially that plastic drip rail above the door. They leaked only if you parked the car on a steep incline, otherwise they were good. I didn't take them out all that much because it was kind of a pain, but on the 4th gen cars they just locked into a holder in the trunk. Much better setup than the stupid bag on 3rd gen cars. I also kept the sunshades in all the time, otherwise the tinted glass would heat the car up. Didn't rattle either.

1991 Brougham, sunroof- God I hate the sunroof. It rattles and lets in a hellacious amount of wind noise. If you close the shade the noise becomes bearable, but still obvious. It also sticks on occasion, but I know the secrets to get it going again. It is nice and big though, and fun on a nice day. Doesn't leak. I swear I'll never own another GM car with a sunroof.

1998 Z28 drop top- Love the convertible, way more than the t-top. The top on this car is really well made and is in mint shape. Its padded and has a glass window, power motor raises and lowers it. Doesn't leak, and there is less wind noise than the Caddy. Nothing like flipping two levers and pressing a button to go topless in 20 seconds. I agree that the raked windshield takes away from the experience though, and the parade boot is a pain.

Kick94sts
03-31-10, 03:34 PM
I have t-tops on my 85 monte carlo and I could live without them, don't rattle really. windows don't seal up great though, and they only leak in a hellascious downpour I found out (yea that was fun with drag radials...)

Sandy
03-31-10, 04:39 PM
Best one is the VW Eos. It's a retractable aluminum hardtop, 2-door car and has a POWER Moonroof. So, ya get a 2-Door hardtop, with a moonroof and the entire thing retracts into a full convertible. Only car with this.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-01-10, 12:40 AM
Best one is the VW Eos. It's a retractable aluminum hardtop, 2-door car and has a POWER Moonroof. So, ya get a 2-Door hardtop, with a moonroof and the entire thing retracts into a full convertible. Only car with this.

Well yeah.....but it's in a Volkswagen! That in and of it's self is reason not to buy it. Especially considering their history, especially in the second world war and their long, long line of crappy products.

Sunroofs could go either way. I loved the one in my S320. It always worked fine, smoothly and quickly, and it never leaked water, and it was quiet on the highway, even at speeds in excess of 100. In your Brougham, does the sunroof slide into the roof, or over it? It slid into the roof in the S-Class, very nifty. But having the motor break was always in the back of my mind, and they're never cheap or easy to fix, no matter what kind of car they're in.

Some people make good, quiet, tight fitting sunroofs. Some don't. I've seen enough cars with leaking sunroofs that don't stand up well to car washes or torrential downpours to make me very leery about them.

ThumperPup
04-01-10, 12:41 AM
the chalenger seems to be more popular here on the road in Cleveland and also in some Mi areas that i notice
i know that if i where to pick one of those i would get a chalenger in bright red however im not planning on it because they problaby have a tiket they can give you for intent to speed and they would use that for those cars LOL

itschrome
04-01-10, 12:49 AM
I see about equal challengers and Camaro's. Which isn't to say there are a lot of either around. As for mustangs Im not a big enough mustang fan to know the new new bodys from old ones. so I cant say.

Destroyer
04-01-10, 01:01 AM
Best one is the VW Eos. It's a retractable aluminum hardtop, 2-door car and has a POWER Moonroof. So, ya get a 2-Door hardtop, with a moonroof and the entire thing retracts into a full convertible. Only car with this.But it's a VW Eos which is GAY. :hide:

Destroyer
04-01-10, 01:14 AM
I have always preferred convertibles if given a choice. But I have to say that for many years now that thew wind shield slope so far into the cabin that for the driver, at least it makes one feel much more closed in than the old convertibles of the fifties and sixties. In that vintage convertible you put the top down and you feel really liberated. I don't agree that the "T Top" is good substitute, not if you know what the real Mc coy is like. The trouble with bit the new cars windshield that sweep back until they almost cover the driver's head and the T-top which does, in fact, cover the driver's head is that the driver still feels like he is in a closed car so there is really no point in putting up with some of the inconveniences of a true convertible.

Give me back my '62 Cadillac convertible or an '64 Olds Sarfire convertible or an Alfa Romeo Spider and I'd be a happy man!I agree with everything you said here. Especially about the windshield slope of the newer cars vs the older cars. I owned several late model convertibles including a '95 Z28, '99 Cobra amongst others. I have also owned many older convertibles including a '68 Dodge Dart GT vert, '66 Chrysler Newport vert, '68 Buick vert and my current (not to mention favorite)'67 Cutlass vert. There is no comparison for me, I enjoy the older models more regardless of performance or handling. It's worth the price of admission just for all the positive comments from everyone and yes, the "convertible" feeling is stronger with the older models.

I have had many, many cars with t-tops and sunroofs. No comparison there either. Thing is you have to love the feeling of the sun shining on you and the wind blowing through your hair. If you don't then you won't like ragtops. T-tops are better than sunroofs but neither provides the same effect as a 'vert" IMO. ;)

orconn
04-01-10, 01:15 AM
I don't know if the VW EOS is Gay or not ( I don't live near West Hollywood anymore) But I do know that it is ugly!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-01-10, 01:21 AM
But it's a VW Eos which is GAY. :hide:

Wait....I thought the Cabrio was the GAY(est) VW? The EOS always seemed like the middle aged trophy wife car....for the lady who's husband couldn't afford a 3 Series for her...

orconn
04-01-10, 01:33 AM
Wait....I thought the Cabrio was the GAY(est) VW? The EOS always seemed like the middle aged trophy wife car....for the lady who's husband couldn't afford a 3 Series for her...

Trophy Wives must be a lot easier to satisfy in Minneapolis than the places I've lived. In L.A. any trophy wife worth her salt would expect at least a Mercedes SLK, and if she really knew her business she hold out for a Bentley! Here in the Tonier neighborhoods of Richmond Porsches seem too be de rigeur with Corvettes being the choice among the older Trophy-ettes! An VW EOS, I think not, perhaps for a teenage daughter of a Trophy Wife.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-01-10, 01:37 AM
Trophy Wives must be a lot easier to satisfy in Minneapolis than the places I've lived.

Well it's Minnesota.....people are just nicer out here. Salt Of The Earth n' stuff like that. :)

Aron9000
04-01-10, 02:18 AM
The VW Eos is the spiritual sucessor to the VW Cabrio IMO. Both were/are ugly, poorly made, and driven by women or extremely flaming homosexuals.

notld67
04-01-10, 06:47 PM
Don't See alot of challengers here, i'll see 1 maybe every week....Mustangs are everywhere, not some many 2010's yet but 99-08 I see at least 15 a day. 2010 camaro's are around, maybe 2-4 a day now...4th gen f-bodies 93-02 use to be everywhere around here back 5-6 years ago, hell I had one...Those have died off, 90% of 93-02 camaros/birds I see now are beat up and driven by kids. I saw a slick sexy as hell red 00-02 ws6 last week, was disgusted to get up to see and see a line of fake fender vent's on it....ugh..

Sandy
04-02-10, 10:22 PM
I am no lover of the VW line of vehicles. I was pointing out that the workings of the EOS roof offer something that no other current car offers. the roof is pretty amazing. Aluminum folding with a moonroof, allowing the driver to have a solid hardtop, an open moonroof or a full convertible. nobody else has such.

Stingroo
04-02-10, 10:38 PM
I do like the EOS for that fact. I would honestly drive a blacked out one. It'd be a fun car, and I bet it would be a serious chick magnet. :thumbsup: