: Bls 1.9d manual wagon 3 month report

cadillac londoner
03-27-10, 08:22 AM
Hi everyone. I have had my BLS 150 wagon since 24/12/2009 from new and thought I would post a review so far.

I have covered 8,000 in the 3 months.

I have no major complaints about the car at all. It is easy to drive, especially in low gears and is quicker than what i expected. My previous car was 2.0dci 150 Laguna Dynamique and the accleration in gears up to 5th seem similar, although the official 0-62 figure is 8.9 for the Renaut and 10.4 for the BLS.

One big difference though is 6th gear, the Cad cannot accellarate at all in this gear and cannot really be used under 50mph, the Laguna would pull away easily in 6th.

I have had no mechanical or trim problems, the quality of materials used are obviously of a higher standard than the Ren.

I am averaging about 48 when i drive leisurely and about 45 when having a heavy right foot. This is much better than the Ren. which only did about 42.

Niggles? the voice recognition is a bit erratic, it sometimes calls wrong numbers etc. but any 'phone would do this. I am not that keen on the cruise control set up. the control on the stalk is awkward to use and I prefer a wheel operated one (i notice the original model had this).

There is no illumination of the mirror controls at night, annoying when you want to fold the mirrors. I know you can do this with the key, but you have to wait for the alarm to be armed.

I am also surprised it does
not have auto dusk headlights, I really miss this from my Renault.

I am a sales rep. and it is fantastically practical, with so many storage spaces (i love the pockets under the front seats) inside and in the boot.

The quality of the Bluetooth connection is brilliant. My son has a new Mazda 6 and it cost 300 as an extra on his car and it is rubbish.

The sat nav has a serious flaw in not having postcode recognition and is no nowhere near as flexible as a Tom Tom, however there are no wires hanging from the windscreen!

So overall a really great choice for me the driver and a really good value for money purchase for my company.

I am interested to see how it will be received when I have it serviced at my local Saab dealer and if there are any warranty/parts gripes etc.

Will keep you informed on this!

S70RMP
03-27-10, 04:21 PM
8000 miles in 3 months ! my god !

I've just done 10000 in 21 months !

Mazuk
03-27-10, 05:51 PM
It`s good news that you have experienced no problems in 8000 miles despite these cars probably being in storage for quite some time.I`m up to 1500 miles and all is well.Fingers crossed!!!Please keep in touch re first service.

ajp558
03-27-10, 07:43 PM
Thanks Cadillac Londoner for the 3 month report, very informative.

Your mpg figures are better than mine, but I assume yours is a 150 TDi manual whereas I have the autobox. I get 41mpg if I drive leisurely but don't think about fuel consumption when I accelerate, and I can just about stretch to 45mpg if I drive like I am short on diesel and the next petrol station is 100 miles away. I have done 2000 miles so far but hope it will improve as the engine wears in.

Although your mpg figures are better than mine, I have to say that I love having an automatic. I had never driven an auto before but got fed up with heavy commuter traffic and inching froward in jams on the M3 & M25 every day. Now I don't think I will ever buy another manual. I have a Porsche Boxster with a manual shift and I think I get just as much enjoyment driving the BLS as I do the Boxster, albeit in different ways. If I am setting off for work and I know traffic is bad then I can't face taking the Boxster.

I know what you mean about the Sat Nav not having postcode entry, but apart from that I have been very impressed compared to my Tom Tom and my wife's BMW. Address entry is good and the system makes good use of touch screen for control. The TMC for traffic has been useful and the lady doing the voice is so polite and helpful it makes me grin.

I also love the Bose Hi Fi. It is much better to use and sound is in a different league compared to the Bose upgrade in my Porsche which was extremely expensive and doesn't even play MP3s.

Even the feel of the indicator stalk and the solid sound it makes when indicating oozes quality compared to a Porsche or any other car I have owned.

The only body or trim problem I had was an annoying rattle from the rear. I eventually traced this to the trim in the rear tailgate (I have the estate). The trim was rattling and vibrating against the tailgate glass/bodywork. The plastic is so thin and unsupported that tapping it made a horrible vibrating sound. I fixed it by taking the thin plastic speaker covers off then inserting thick pieces of foam in the gaps around the speaker cones, in between the plastic and bodywork. Then I put the speaker covers back with adhesive foam pads. Since then it has been quiet and what I would expect from a car of it original retail price rather than the absolute bargain I paid.

The only other issue I have is that after the engine is warm, the cabin sometimes smells faintly of oil or diesel when stopped at traffic lights. I don't think it is as bad as when I first got the car in February, so maybe it is some kind of protective stuff sprayed under the car or engine which is slowly being burned off. Otherwise I shall have to take it to the Saab dealer in Reading who hopefylly can look at it under warranty. I looked in the engine bay, removed the plastic covers and soundproofing but can't see any evidence of a leak. Couldn't see anything underneath either, but a small leak in an exhaust join wouldn't necessarily be too visible anyway.

When I do get it serviced, I hope they can set the car to automatically lock the doors when the car moves off. I am used to that with other cars and think it is useful in this day and age.

Finally, it is great having this forum and hearing about other's experiences with their BLS's.

AJP

S70RMP
03-28-10, 04:15 AM
When I do get it serviced, I hope they can set the car to automatically lock the doors when the car moves off. I am used to that with other cars and think it is useful in this day and age.

AJP

I asked the garage the same thing when I took it for the 1st service when I had mine, but sadky they couldn't find a way of doing it.
It wasnt in any of the system options they said they could change :suspect:

S70RMP
03-28-10, 11:17 AM
after 8000 miles whats your service % left before next service ?

cadillac londoner
03-29-10, 10:47 AM
S70MRP my service indicatior (intermediate) is showing 56% to service at 8,125 miles.

S70RMP
03-29-10, 12:39 PM
56% and 8000 miles thats excellent !

mine is saying time for service and it's only done 4.5K since the alst service

cadillac londoner
03-30-10, 11:36 AM
ajp558 re sat nav, do you know if there is a way of putting your address book into alphabetical order? Mine just seems to store them in order of being entered, not very convenient if you are looking up an address. I have about 75 stored on there and I have to scroll down the whole list to find my destination.

Thanks

ajp558
03-30-10, 05:27 PM
ajp558 re sat nav, do you know if there is a way of putting your address book into alphabetical order? Mine just seems to store them in order of being entered, not very convenient if you are looking up an address. I have about 75 stored on there and I have to scroll down the whole list to find my destination.

Thanks

Hi Cadillac Londoner,

To be honest, I hadn't given the ordering any thought, but suppose that I assumed it would just be ordered by name. I haven't stored many addresses so it hasn't been an issue for me, but now you mention it I shall have to have a play and see if there is anything that can be done to influence the order....

Until now I have been focussed on trying to get my Nokia 5800 mobile to synch fully with the Bluetooth - I can answer and manually dial out, but can't get the phone's address book to transfer, while my Blackberry synchronises immediately without anything have to be done other than connect over Bluetooth, and then the address book is fully available to scroll through and dial.

cadillac londoner
04-01-10, 09:23 AM
Thanks in advance fo looking at this.

I have a an O2 Stellar PDA and it copied the phone book first time with no problems.

Have you checked your tyre pressures? My car felt a bit wobbly the other day so I checked and they were all 28psi., where as they should be a minimum of 32psi Maybe that is the result of 8000+ miles or maybe they were not inflated correctly on collection in December.

Mazuk
04-01-10, 09:59 AM
My Motorpoint Estate arrived with 30ish pressure.Now 35 in accordance with label in glovebox!

ajp558
04-01-10, 08:01 PM
Ditto, all four of my tyres were also consistently under inflated upon delivery. I pumped them up in accordance with the manual for 235s and they have been fine since.

In fact I think mine were originally 28psi from Truro. I;m not criticising, but I am surprised you hadn:t checked them since delivery, especially as you have done 8k miles. I still love driving mine so much compared to my Porsche but can't imagine doing 8k since December.

I tried the Shell V-Power Diesel Extra this week and my car feels much more responsive, a bit more powerful. It is more expensive, but I wonder if the extra is worth it as it may give better mpg. I'll try a few more tankfuls seeing as how it feels like the car drives better than when it is running on Morrison's diesel.

S70RMP
04-02-10, 04:01 AM
in the saloon handbook it says inflate to 41bar if the best MPG

ajp558
04-02-10, 07:05 AM

Thanks

I tried everything I could think of, and I have to admit defeat. I don't think it is possible unless there is a new software update for our Sat Nav/Radio/CD systems. There appears to be no ability to move the entries within the address book, no way of numbering the address names to force an order, and no options in the menu which alter the view to be in name order rather than just the order in which they were first entered.

That all means that if you really want your 75+ entries in name order, you will have to clear them all and then manually re-enter them one-by-one in the order you want them displayed. I bet you don't want to do that, and it won't help when you want to add a new 76th entry for Mr Aaaron A Aardvark in Ayrshire.....

With my wife's BMW there were some Sat Nav software updates which added some new functions. Maybe there is one for Cadillac/Saab but I didn't find anything on the internet so it would be a case of asking a knowledgable dealer.

This may be the same with my Bluetooth problems, trying to get a Nokia 5800 to send its addresses to the car. All other mobiles seem to do it okay, but the Symbian S60 operating system of the Nokia 5800 and the Cadillac Bluetooth just don't want to play nicely together. An internet search showed others with the same problem with other car makes such as Audi, and some of those got fixed by getting the car dealer to load new Bluetooth firmware into the car. I found a number of Nokia programs which attempt to send the phone address book to the car but none work in my case.

cadillac londoner
04-02-10, 01:57 PM
Thanks for trying with the Sat Nav address book.

I agree I should have checked the tyres before, but I assumed they would have been checked on any PDI, and the mileage adds up so quickly for me!

It will be interesting to see if the higher inflation changes the fuel economy. I will also give the premium diesel a go!