: Burping the cooling system?

malibuandryan
03-27-10, 01:32 AM
Well, I got the Northstar back in moms car....and was wondering how to burp the cooling system.....I understand that it is a self purging cooling system?......I feel as if there is a lot of air still in the cooling system....The car has ran a total of 25-30 min today....If I squeeze the top radiator hose, I still feel pockets of air in there.......Thanks again.....by the way I give thanks to every one that has helped me with this project....You know come to think of it, I may be one of the few 19 year olds that has done this project by myself...and of course I couldn't attempt any of this without the help of members on CadillacForums....Keep up the great work everybody......Ryan

1997 Deville Concours

Ranger
03-27-10, 12:05 PM
It IS self purging. Just rev it to about 3K a few times and that should purge most of the air. Then top it off, but check it after each drive for the next few trips. It may need a little top off if you really got a lot of the coolant out.

malibuandryan
03-28-10, 12:32 AM
Ok as well as you know I studded the block correctly...Theres no exhaust gasses in the coolant nor antifreeze being burned.....but why at idle is my temp gauge between 12 and 1 o'clock.(my obd2 reader shows 218-224 at idle). I also noticed the gauge always sits a little past the middle mark when driving.......I have since taken this vehicle out and ran it hard a couple of times with no overheating issues at all, but when I come to a stop and idle the gauge tends to sit a 1 o'clock.............maybe I still have a lot of air in the system.....All fans are working properly.........water pump must be working fine because I can feel the coolant flow when reving the engine up..thermostat is maybe 1-2 years old.

One more thing....I had to cut the 2 old heater hose lines going to the firewall....I replaced the hoses, but I think they may be kinked because there not molded.....I do have heat though, but they shure do appear to be kinked......If there somewhat kinked, would that possibly be a contributing factor to the more than likely warm engine???.

All i can say is when this car was first purchased with 60,000 miles, the temp gauge was always dead center.......around 90,000 the temp gauge moved like crazy because it had a blow headgasket.....I fixed the headgaskets along with studding the block....why isn't it back to normal?? Its around 50-60 degrees down here and come summer time I feel as if the engine will be overheating.:helpless:...........Thanks again ryan

Ranger
03-28-10, 12:18 PM
Have you checked the purge line to be sure it is clear?

creeker
03-28-10, 04:19 PM
It IS self purging. Just rev it to about 3K a few times and that should purge most of the air. Then top it off, but check it after each drive for the next few trips. It may need a little top off if you really got a lot of the coolant out.

Is it also suggested to leave purge cap off while burping it?.

malibuandryan
03-28-10, 05:51 PM
Well I checked the purge line and it was clear. There is plenty of coolant flowing out of the end where it connects to the tank. Tanks is also clear from obstructions. So with that being said, I am starting to wonder it the thermostat may be a higher temp or I now have a misleading gauge. Got the thermostat at Advance long time ago.....My obd reader always show 218-224 at idle. I think that is to warm. Dads 98 caddy(which also has a blown head gasket) runs at 199-222. It was 54 out today and I drove it hard on the highway. No change of temperature at all. The needle is always slightly to the right of 12 o'clock............Also moms is the 300 HP Northstar....I bet it runs a bit hotter than a 275???

Thanks Ryan

Ranger
03-28-10, 06:09 PM
Is it also suggested to leave purge cap off while burping it?.
No..

creeker
03-28-10, 06:20 PM
Maybe I was thinking of my antiquated 4.9 system?.

Submariner409
03-28-10, 07:37 PM
The Northstar thermostat is supposed to begin opening at 188 and be fully open at 206. The engine should run at 196 -202 all day with A/C ON (fans will then run in SLOW at all times) and with A/C OFF, idling or in traffic, fans cycle between 224 ON and 213 OFF.

malibuandryan
03-29-10, 08:55 PM
The thermostat was the problem....Evidently it was not opening all the way......put a new one in today and the temp gauge is dead center again:thumbsup: I also drove the caddy pretty hard and temp gauge never moved once!........The Caddy is now running like it should.......Thanks everyone:) Ryan

tateos
03-29-10, 11:06 PM
Congratulations!