: Which car do you guys suggest to buy with 7K in hand?

ben.gators
03-26-10, 05:51 AM
Hey folks,

I have a very near friend, who has almost no idea about the cars, and he is trying to buy a car. From his point of view, I am the Goodness of Cars :alchi:and he is now asking me to suggest and find him a good car.

He has around 7K in hand and looking for a low millage almost new car to buy. His flavor is something sporty and midsize, and a bit girly (But not a pink VW Beetle please :D).

Definitely with the money he has, he can not find a low millage almost new Cadi, so I am thinking about other GMs midsize cars. Once he liked a Cobalt, and with that money he can find a good low millage Cobalt. But I guess the car itself and the material are cheap. I am thinking about a Pontiac G6 V6. There are immaculate G6s around for 7-8K.

What do you guys suggest? Do you think a G6 is a good car? Or suggest any other car for this price range?

Jesda
03-26-10, 06:43 AM
G6 has a cheap interior, decent drive, good reliability. There's better out there though, like the Maxima before 2003, Saturn Aura, Mazda 6.

ben.gators
03-26-10, 06:58 AM
G6 has a cheap interior, decent drive, good reliability. There's better out there though, like the Maxima before 2003, Saturn Aura, Mazda 6.

All Nissan cars that are based on FF-L platform, especially Altima and Maxima seem to be a pile of garbage. As you said, old generations were good, but they are too old. He is looking for a newer car.

I have no idea about Saturn Aura! Indeed I personally dont like the way Saturns look, and just neglect them. Is it a good car?

Mazda 6, hum, it can be a good candidate too, although I personally prefer American cars. Protege not only did not keep its value, but also it was not a very reliable car. Mazda 6 at least looks much more sexier than it.

Jesda
03-26-10, 07:16 AM
All Nissan cars that are based on FF-L platform, especially Altima and Maxima seem to be a pile of garbage. As you said, old generations were good, but they are too old. He is looking for a newer car.

I have no idea about Saturn Aura! Indeed I personally dont like the way Saturns look, and just neglect them. Is it a good car?

Mazda 6, hum, it can be a good candidate too, although I personally prefer American cars. Protege not only did not keep its value, but also it was not a very reliable car. Mazda 6 at least looks much more sexier than it.

The Aura is the same as the G6 but with slightly better styling and a higher quality interior. I recently put 10,000 miles on one and enjoyed it. The Maxima is plenty reliable and powerful with a beautiful interior, but 03-onward suffer from nasty torque steer. My friend's 4-cylinder 2002 Altima is currently in need of a new engine at 80k.

If you require something domestic you could look for a first-generation Fusion but its just a fattened up Mazda 6. The 6 has quicker steering, less weight, and more road feel. Probably the best car non-luxury I've ever rented.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-26-10, 07:33 AM
Something sporty, midsized, domestic, but a bit girly.....Grand Prix GTP. It's got all the things we love of our Regal's, but it's a Pontiac, so therefore it's inherently more feminine and youthful than a Buick. The G6's are OK, but they don't have the power of the GTP. Plus, seeing as how the GTP's go back farther, you'd have an easier time finding a nice one in your price range. Or, if you went back to the 00-03 Grand Prix, before they changed the styling, I'm sure you could find a REAL nice one for 7-8k. :)

Jesda
03-26-10, 07:40 AM
Grand Prix GTP. It's got all the things we love of our Regal's, but it's a Pontiac

Pontiac People
http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/methlab.jpg

ben.gators
03-26-10, 08:06 AM
Something sporty, midsized, domestic, but a bit girly.....Grand Prix GTP. It's got all the things we love of our Regal's, but it's a Pontiac, so therefore it's inherently more feminine and youthful than a Buick. The G6's are OK, but they don't have the power of the GTP. Plus, seeing as how the GTP's go back farther, you'd have an easier time finding a nice one in your price range. Or, if you went back to the 00-03 Grand Prix, before they changed the styling, I'm sure you could find a REAL nice one for 7-8k. :)

Indeed the first car that we were looking for was Pontiac Grand Prix 2004+. GTP is higher than his price range, but base Grand Prix is in the range. Then we moved to some thing a bit more compact and more fuel efficient than Grand Prix, and an obvious candidate was G6! But pontiac Grand Prix is still in the list. I have very good memories from Regal, so I walk toward a Grand Prix with higher confident than any other car. It is amazing for me to see how similar are these two cars. Under the hood, they are exactly the same!

BTW Chad, Pontiac Grand Prix is Real Men's Car! It is not a Girly :sneaky:

Also Pontiac Grand Prix is too good for him! I am looking for some thing that his car remains deep under the shadow of my car! :D just kidding...

V-Eight
03-26-10, 08:50 AM

If you get the V6 its got an American engine in it

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-26-10, 07:20 PM
Indeed the first car that we were looking for was Pontiac Grand Prix 2004+. GTP is higher than his price range, but base Grand Prix is in the range. Then we moved to some thing a bit more compact and more fuel efficient than Grand Prix, and an obvious candidate was G6! But pontiac Grand Prix is still in the list. I have very good memories from Regal, so I walk toward a Grand Prix with higher confident than any other car. It is amazing for me to see how similar are these two cars. Under the hood, they are exactly the same!

BTW Chad, Pontiac Grand Prix is Real Men's Car! It is not a Girly :sneaky:

The naturally aspirated 3.8 should pull atleast 20mpg in town, and atleast 30 on the highway. It's without a doubt, the best V6 engine made by GM.

ben.gators
03-26-10, 08:25 PM
The naturally aspirated 3.8 should pull atleast 20mpg in town, and atleast 30 on the highway. It's without a doubt, the best V6 engine made by GM.

Yeah, GM 3800CC was an award winning great engine. I had a Series II on my Regal, but I never get better Gas millage than 15 in city! I am an aggressive driver, so it explains it some how. But EPA rating was not better than 18 for city as far as I remember. I suppose you are speaking about series III, which runs Grand Prix. hum, so there is such an improvement in new series, interesting.

c5 rv
03-26-10, 08:36 PM
Unfortunately, I don't think he's going to fine an "almost new" used Mazda6 or Mazda3 for $7-8K. When I do a search in that price range, I see cars with nearly 100K miles or more and most are at least 5 years old. If he wants something in the $7-8K range, under 60K miles, 05 or later, he can check out the Fusion / Milan in midsize. For a larger car, theres the Taurus / 500 / Sable. For smaller, there's the Focus or Pontiac Vibe. I can find all of those in his price range.

Vinsanity
03-26-10, 10:15 PM
If he wants something sporty and ends up with a non-S/C Grand Prix, then you will no longer be The Goodness of Cars. The G6 is meh, but decent for the price, I suppose. As for the Cobalt, the only ones worth mentioning are the forced induction ones. A $7k Taurus? Only if you want to play a cruel joke on him.

For that price, you'll have to look outside of Detroit for "sporty" and "midsize" in the same car. ~2002 Maxima is probably the best choice. Maybe a 1.8T Jetta, if he's willing to go smaller. Those are plenty girly ;)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-26-10, 10:30 PM
For that price, you'll have to look outside of Detroit for "sporty" and "midsize" in the same car. ~2002 Maxima is probably the best choice. Maybe a 1.8T Jetta, if he's willing to go smaller. Those are plenty girly ;)

Maxima yes, Jetta, no. Only if you don't like your friend at all and want him to spend lots of time and money in repair shops.

Yeah, GM 3800CC was an award winning great engine. I had a Series II on my Regal, but I never get better Gas millage than 15 in city! I am an aggressive driver, so it explains it some how. But EPA rating was not better than 18 for city as far as I remember. I suppose you are speaking about series III, which runs Grand Prix. hum, so there is such an improvement in new series, interesting.

You only got 15 MPG out of a Regal LS? Yeah I guess you do drive aggressively... I get about 18-19 out of my GS, and that's when I'm driving aggressively in town. On the open road, I'll get 28-30, and if it's mixed, it's usually 21-22.

Destroyer
03-26-10, 11:09 PM
It's got all the things we love of our Regal's, but it's a Pontiac, so therefore it's inherently more feminine and youthful than a Buick. I'm with you on the "youthful" part but not on the "more feminine" part. Since when are Ponchos "feminine"? If anything, I think a GTP is more masculine looking than a Regal. Both look kinda "feminine" but the GTP looks and sounds (by name) more masculine.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-26-10, 11:16 PM
Nobody my age lived through the good Pontiacs you older folks did. For my generation, the Pontiac name was tarnished with Grand Ams, Sunfires, Vibes, Azteks and other mediocre FWD junk driven mainly by women. The GTP in and of it's self isn't feminine, but neither are the Trans Ams, Formulas, G8's, GTO's and other honest muscle cars they've made in their past.

As of late, Pontiac is the #1 brand preferred by women. Here, look at this survey from Forbes.com
http://www.forbes.com/2005/05/23/cx_dl_0523feat.html

orconn
03-26-10, 11:38 PM
Holy cow! Pontiac a ladies' car? Well maybe the four cylinder models you sight, but the GTP or even a regular old Grand Prix I would think would fall into the guy category .... or at least the gender neutral "enthusiast" realm. And the recent GTO would definitely not be a car that comes to mind when thinking "secretarial" or "high school teeny bopper" transportation.

As for gas mileage on the 3800 powered cars, I got 34 mpg consistantly on thr Interstates of the midwest on my trip from Virginia to Illinois with the Regal. I know because I kept very close tabs on the car's mileage and was shocked how good it was. I think the car returned a pretty consistant 19 mpg in Northern Virginia traffic. I know it got the best gas mileage of any car we've had with the exception of the '83 VW Scirocco with stick.

Destroyer
03-27-10, 12:03 AM
Nobody my age lived through the good Pontiacs you older folks did. For my generation, the Pontiac name was tarnished with Grand Ams, Sunfires, Vibes, Azteks and other mediocre FWD junk driven mainly by women. The GTP in and of it's self isn't feminine, but neither are the Trans Ams, Formulas, G8's, GTO's and other honest muscle cars they've made in their past.

As of late, Pontiac is the #1 brand preferred by women. Here, look at this survey from Forbes.com
http://www.forbes.com/2005/05/23/cx_dl_0523feat.html
First of all thanks for referring to me as an "older folk", lol. You are right though, since 1988 all you have been exposed to is the junkiest that Pontiac has ever offered. God, has it been over 2 decades of crap? Guess that's why they now cease to exist. It amazes me to learn that the #1 brand preferred by women is Pontiac. Any bitch I ever met prefers expensive cars like MB or Bimmers but whatever.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-27-10, 12:29 AM
It's funny that Pontiac created some of their best products in the last 20 years right before they were axed. The G8 was one hell of a good sports sedan, probably the best all around in the company's history.

Jesda
03-27-10, 12:37 AM
Holy cow! Pontiac a ladies' car? Well maybe the four cylinder models you sight, but the GTP or even a regular old Grand Prix I would think would fall into the guy category .... or at least the gender neutral "enthusiast" realm. And the recent GTO would definitely not be a car that comes to mind when thinking "secretarial" or "high school teeny bopper" transportation.

Pontiac, as a brand, had the highest percentage of registered female owners before going out of business. I think VW was #2.

I think the de facto secretary cars now are the Mustang V6 auto, Altima coupe, and Mercury Mariner.

gary88
03-27-10, 12:39 AM
It's funny that Pontiac created some of their best products in the last 20 years right before they were axed. The G8 was one hell of a good sports sedan, probably the best all around in the company's history.

Except that was really a Holden :alchi:

Aron9000
03-27-10, 02:20 AM
Can you buy a new style(the spaceship model) Civic for 7-8k now days? I'd look for one of those or a Mazda 3 for his price range. See if he's blind and show him a picture of a Honda Fit, that's another good option if you can get over it being ugly. Same thing with the Scion Xb(abbrv for extra-boxy).

ben.gators
03-27-10, 07:13 AM
Can you buy a new style(the spaceship model) Civic for 7-8k now days? I'd look for one of those or a Mazda 3 for his price range. See if he's blind and show him a picture of a Honda Fit, that's another good option if you can get over it being ugly. Same thing with the Scion Xb(abbrv for extra-boxy).

Hondas are usually too expensive, and for his money the car will have a lot of miles on it. The main advantageous of American cars is their price, a 2 year old American car with reasonable miles on it, experiences a more than 40% loss of original value, which makes it totally affordable.

ben.gators
03-27-10, 07:24 AM
Unfortunately, I don't think he's going to fine an "almost new" used Mazda6 or Mazda3 for $7-8K. When I do a search in that price range, I see cars with nearly 100K miles or more and most are at least 5 years old. If he wants something in the $7-8K range, under 60K miles, 05 or later, he can check out the Fusion / Milan in midsize. For a larger car, theres the Taurus / 500 / Sable. For smaller, there's the Focus or Pontiac Vibe. I can find all of those in his price range.

Yes, looking around in local listings I realized that used Mazda 6 and 3 are still holding their values, and it is hard to find a low millage mazda for 7-8K.

About Fords, Yes, Ford is manufacturing really nice cars, and they are really affordable, but most of them look very tame, and except Mustang, non of them have aggressive, sporty, or eye catching look. Also it may return back to this fact that I am a loyal GM driver.

ben.gators
03-27-10, 07:46 AM
If he wants something sporty and ends up with a non-S/C Grand Prix, then you will no longer be The Goodness of Cars. The G6 is meh, but decent for the price, I suppose. As for the Cobalt, the only ones worth mentioning are the forced induction ones. A $7k Taurus? Only if you want to play a cruel joke on him.

He is not a kinda car lover person that the definition of sporty car gets restricted to just high performance sport cars like Shelby, Camaro SS, etc. So for him a non super charged Grand Prix is still an sport car. Also I have owned a Regal LS before, which had a non SC 3800cc on it and it was still a big bad beast!

German cars are too expensive to maintain, even VW. BTW, is VW an sport car? Old generation of Maxima are good cars, but they are too old.

c5 rv
03-27-10, 07:47 AM
Your original idea of a G6 isn't a bad one. My barber had lots of brake problems with hers that the dealer could never sort out under warranty. Eventually, her son put on a good set of front pads and rotors and the problem went away. She hasn't had any other problems with the car - except for the deer she hit.

Don't overlook the Vibe. The flexible interior space is really useful. It has a kinda funky driving position, with the steering wheel close to the dash. (I think it was designed for women to not sit too close to the airbag.) I would avoid the AWD version (very slow) and the GT (at least some required premium fuel and may have been driven hard).

A buddy of mine was helping his son find a car. They generally only buy Japanese cars and were hating not being able to find a decent Matrix at a good price. At lunch one day I with my buddy I mentioned that the Vibe is the same as the Matrix, but without the premium price. Within about 3 days, his son bought a used Vibe and I got a free lunch the next week. It's now a year or more later and his son is still loving the Vibe.

Stingroo
03-27-10, 09:27 AM
The Vibe actually isn't that bad. My cousin and his wife both owned one at one point (he sold his to trade up to a Yukon XL for the kid-moving ability and what not). But they're pretty decent, and dare I say -- "quick" for what they are.

Vinsanity
03-27-10, 11:55 AM
He is not a kinda car lover person that the definition of sporty car gets restricted to just high performance sport cars like Shelby, Camaro SS, etc. So for him a non super charged Grand Prix is still an sport car. Also I have owned a Regal LS before, which had a non SC 3800cc on it and it was still a big bad beast!

German cars are too expensive to maintain, even VW. BTW, is VW an sport car? Old generation of Maxima are good cars, but they are too old.

a turbocharged Jetta is just as much a sports car as a non-S/C Grand Prix is.

If he's looking at GP's and Regals, he might as well consider a Mustang while he's at it, unless he needs 4 doors. In which case pretty much anything with a V6 would suffice if the definition of "sporty" is that broad.

concorso
03-27-10, 12:22 PM
First of all thanks for referring to me as an "older folk", lol. You are right though, since 1988 all you have been exposed to is the junkiest that Pontiac has ever offered. God, has it been over 2 decades of crap? Guess that's why they now cease to exist. It amazes me to learn that the #1 brand preferred by women is Pontiac. Any bitch I ever met prefers expensive cars like MB or Bimmers but whatever.Most everyone prefers expensive cars. Not everyone can afford expensive cars.

concorso
03-27-10, 12:41 PM
It's funny that Pontiac created some of their best products in the last 20 years right before they were axed. The G8 was one hell of a good sports sedan, probably the best all around in the company's history.Pontiac didnt make it, tho. :)

concorso
03-27-10, 12:43 PM
The Vibe actually isn't that bad. My cousin and his wife both owned one at one point (he sold his to trade up to a Yukon XL for the kid-moving ability and what not). But they're pretty decent, and dare I say -- "quick" for what they are.The Vibe shares alot of parts with the Toyota MAtrix. Id be skeptical.

concorso
03-27-10, 12:45 PM
a turbocharged Jetta is just as much a sports car as a non-S/C Grand Prix is.

If he's looking at GP's and Regals, he might as well consider a Mustang while he's at it, unless he needs 4 doors. In which case pretty much anything with a V6 would suffice if the definition of "sporty" is that broad.Grand Prix has the wide track and is lower while the Jetta is a fair bit lighter. Kinda equals out.

orconn
03-27-10, 01:08 PM
For that kind of money I wouldn't be looking for anything very "sporty." Anything with any attractive style and performance would come with very high mileage for age. He would probably be best served by a newer low mileage transportation car like the ones already suggested here.

Koooop
03-28-10, 01:05 AM
Fox body Mustang V8 Convertible, C4 corvette, V8 Firebird, V8 Camero... Any of these can be found with low mileage and at least the guy might get laid.

ben.gators
03-28-10, 04:02 AM
Fox body Mustang V8 Convertible, C4 corvette, V8 Firebird, V8 Camero... Any of these can be found with low mileage and at least the guy might get laid.

If I say your advice to him, definitely he will purchase a car from your suggested list, with some dirty wishes in mind! :D

ben.gators
03-28-10, 04:04 AM
For that kind of money I wouldn't be looking for anything very "sporty." Anything with any attractive style and performance would come with very high mileage for age. He would probably be best served by a newer low mileage transportation car like the ones already suggested here.

Yes, you are right, I have the same idea, a usual transportation car, which has some sort of sporty flavor will be good.

ben.gators
03-28-10, 04:12 AM
Your original idea of a G6 isn't a bad one. My barber had lots of brake problems with hers that the dealer could never sort out under warranty. Eventually, her son put on a good set of front pads and rotors and the problem went away. She hasn't had any other problems with the car - except for the deer she hit.

Don't overlook the Vibe. The flexible interior space is really useful. It has a kinda funky driving position, with the steering wheel close to the dash. (I think it was designed for women to not sit too close to the airbag.) I would avoid the AWD version (very slow) and the GT (at least some required premium fuel and may have been driven hard).

A buddy of mine was helping his son find a car. They generally only buy Japanese cars and were hating not being able to find a decent Matrix at a good price. At lunch one day I with my buddy I mentioned that the Vibe is the same as the Matrix, but without the premium price. Within about 3 days, his son bought a used Vibe and I got a free lunch the next week. It's now a year or more later and his son is still loving the Vibe.

Thanks for sharing your experience, I will look for vibe as well too.

Koooop
03-28-10, 06:02 PM
I must've missed the "Girly" part.

A minivan?

LOL

V-Eight
03-28-10, 06:27 PM
Yesterday I saw a chromed out Caravan with spinners....and no, I'm not kidding.

hueterm
03-29-10, 10:01 AM
I recommend the latest model, lowest mileage Crown Vic or Grand Marquis he can find.

Koooop
03-29-10, 01:30 PM
All kidding aside, the Crown Vic is a solid reliable car. If that is a consideration Town Cars are bullet proof. The Lincoln LS with a V8 is a great car and they can be had under $7,000. I don't know if the V6 was a good set up in that car, but the LS is a super nice car.

With the cash your friend has in hand a V8 Lincoln LS would be a very nice car to own.

orconn
03-29-10, 01:51 PM
I agree with the transportation value of a Crown Vic, but the guy would have to go pretty far out in the country to find a girl that would be seen in one ..... other than her grandmother's! But if the guy has a great girl pleasing personality and looks like a young Robert Redford, then, by all means, go for the Crown Vic as it would then fall into the category of "untested waters."

hueterm
03-29-10, 02:11 PM
Seriously -- if your main reason for buying a car is for :kittyball: -- then you deserve as many problems as you're bound to get...

Stingroo
03-29-10, 02:12 PM
I would LOVE a V8 Lincoln LS. I think that's a very, VERY good looking car.

Like, I'd totally buy one after college... *puts thought in head*

orconn
03-29-10, 02:15 PM
Seriously -- if your main reason for buying a car is for :kittyball: -- then you deserve as many problems as you're bound to get...

And not just with the car!

hueterm
03-29-10, 02:18 PM

Well, of course -- that was implied... :shhh:

Koooop
03-29-10, 05:40 PM

There's nothing wrong with owning a poonwagon.

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2008/09/weve-got-some-b/

Don't knock unless you've tried it! But if it's not your thing that's okay too.

Kick94sts
03-29-10, 06:39 PM
a fuel-efficient econobox doesn’t stimulate anyone’s mpg-spot.

:lol:

hueterm
03-29-10, 07:49 PM

Then I'd up the budget......

ben.gators
03-29-10, 08:04 PM
:histeric::histeric::histeric::histeric::histeric: :histeric::histeric::histeric:

ha ha ha, This is so funny to trace this topic to see what was the starting point of this topic (I asked suggestions for a good sporty and a bit girly car for my friend), and at the folks are discussing as following:

I agree with the transportation value of a Crown Vic, but the guy would have to go pretty far out in the country to find a girl that would be seen in one ..... other than her grandmother's! But if the guy has a great girl pleasing personality and looks like a young Robert Redford, then, by all means, go for the Crown Vic as it would then fall into the category of "untested waters."

Well, of course -- that was implied... :shhh:

a fuel-efficient econobox doesn’t stimulate anyone’s mpg-spot.

:lol:

This is the funniest (and the best:bigroll:) topic that I ever have had... My poor friend was just looking for a car that is a bit girly, meaning not very huge or a muscle car, some thing refined, but you guys changed the discussion to mpg- spot...:sneaky::D:lildevil:

c5 rv
03-29-10, 08:14 PM
^^^
And you expected anything different from us?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-29-10, 10:40 PM
Crown Vic? Ewwww no. The only people who drive Crown Vics are cops and douchebags who try to impersonate cops. If we're going the full size route, get a Town Car, or a really nice LT1 B/D Body.

ben.gators
03-29-10, 10:42 PM
^^^
And you expected anything different from us?

Indeed No! :D

ben.gators
03-29-10, 10:47 PM
Crown Vic? Ewwww no. The only people who drive Crown Vics are cops and douchebags who try to impersonate cops. If we're going the full size route, get a Town Car, or a really nice LT1 B/D Body.

Crown Victoria, no way! Indeed he is not a Crown Victoria type person too.

ben.gators
03-29-10, 10:50 PM
Here is an update for what we have done yet:

Here Mazda 3 and 6 are too expensive, or have too many miles on it. So we almost put it out of list, unless suddenly a good one appears. We took a look to a vibe, but it was too small for him and he needs some thing more roomy.

We could find a G6 with only 33K on it for 9K, and it is under factory warranty. The owner still owes money for car, so she is firm on price. we are trying to see can we reduce the price or not.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-29-10, 10:57 PM
Well, they are better than a Grand Am.

But that's not saying much...

ben.gators
03-29-10, 11:11 PM
Well, they are better than a Grand Am.

But that's not saying much...

In your post "they" refer to which car? G6, Crown, Mazda, or maybe "the MPG-spot stimulating car"? :D

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-29-10, 11:12 PM
G6, the Grand Am's replacement. Now, if you can score a G6 Coupe, that wouldn't be so bad.

ben.gators
03-29-10, 11:38 PM
G6, the Grand Am's replacement. Now, if you can score a G6 Coupe, that wouldn't be so bad.

Grand AM!:nono: however the point is when a company replaces a model with another one, the new model is not in charge of all down sides of old model.
Just aside, CTS is the replacement of Catera!

c5 rv
03-30-10, 09:09 AM
Just aside, CTS is the replacement of Catera!

Even more aside, I believe the CTS was originally planned to keep the Catera name, but Cadillac went to the new naming strategy and CTS (Catera Touring Sedan) was the first one out of the gate. I swapped out the grille on my 04 CTS and the inside of the factory grille was embossed with "Catera". This discussion used to generate lots of heat in the 1st gen CTS forum.

Stingroo
03-30-10, 09:51 AM
How about a 2000+ Mazda Millenia? Those are really nice cars.

AVOID THE MILLENIA S with the Miller-Cycle engine. Dad worked at a Mazda dealer for 3 years; I heard nothing but horror stories. However, the Millennia on its own is a really nice car. Good examples can be had for about 5-7k.

For example: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=265565638&dealer_id=616136&car_year=2002&doors=&systime=&listingCounter=0&model=MILL&adModel=MILL&search_lang=en&style_flag=1&start_year=1981&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&search_type=used&lastStartYear=1981&distance=0&min_price=&rdm=1269957149092&drive=&marketZipError=false&advanced=&fuel=&listingPriority=30&keywords_display=&end_year=2011&showZipError=n&make2=&certified=&engine=&adBodyStyle=&page_location=findacar::ispsearchform&body_code=0&transmission=&default_sort=&max_mileage=&address=32211&color=&sort_type=priceDESC&adMake=MAZDA&max_price=&awsp=false&adClassSeries=&make=MAZDA&seller_type=b&num_records=25&cardist=111

2002. $5500. 77k miles.

Jesda
03-30-10, 12:51 PM
The Millenia is one of my all-time favorite FWD cars, and yeah, its a shame they cost so much to maintain. Parts prices can be horrific and Mazda dealers don't have a clue how to service them.

Stingroo
03-30-10, 12:57 PM
The regular Millenia isn't too bad, it's the supercharged S variant that will really screw you, maintenance wise.

Jesda
03-30-10, 02:51 PM
My understanding is that the supercharged one is less prone to cracked blocks and oil leaks?

Stingroo
03-30-10, 03:04 PM
Not entirely sure. I know they had a notorious problem, I think it was timing related, if my memory serves. It's been a couple of years since dad's worked there.

But yeah. I still like them.

Koooop
03-30-10, 07:24 PM
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p&car_id=269395951&dealer_id=64662941&car_year=2001&rdm=1269991345272&lastStartYear=1981&model=LSLINCOLN&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=8%20Cylinder&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&only_price=1&awsp=false&search_type=used&distance=0&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&showZipError=n&make=LINC&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=5000&drive=&default_sort=priceASC&seller_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceASC&address=92660&advanced=y&only_photo=1&end_year=2011&doors=&transmission=&max_price=8000&cardist=41&standard=false

And it's a V8

Koooop
03-30-10, 07:36 PM
How about this.

Cough up $9,500 and you can have my 79,000 mile, 1984 Eldorado Factory Convertible, Cotillion White, Red Leather, Biarittz, Continental kit, Pimp Daddy Grille and Cragar model 25 Truspokes. The total Pimp Car.

All he need is some Bitches and he's in Bidnezz.

Stingroo
03-30-10, 08:13 PM
I want that LS.

Hopefully they depreciate sufficiently by the time I get out of school. :)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-30-10, 11:48 PM
Even more aside, I believe the CTS was originally planned to keep the Catera name, but Cadillac went to the new naming strategy and CTS (Catera Touring Sedan) was the first one out of the gate. I swapped out the grille on my 04 CTS and the inside of the factory grille was embossed with "Catera". This discussion used to generate lots of heat in the 1st gen CTS forum.

Oh that is gold! :lol: :histeric:

Catera Touring Sedan!

The Millenia is one of my all-time favorite FWD cars, and yeah, its a shame they cost so much to maintain. Parts prices can be horrific and Mazda dealers don't have a clue how to service them.

Yeah, they were a real nice car thru and thru. Beautiful design, neat motor design, good performance, good mileage, etc etc.

The regular Millenia isn't too bad, it's the supercharged S variant that will really screw you, maintenance wise.

Was that pun intended? :lol:

Stingroo
03-31-10, 12:21 AM
Yes, actually. Thank you for catching it. I expected Jesda to. lol

ben.gators
06-06-10, 09:12 PM
OK OK OK. here is the end of story, my friend finally ended up with a Scion tC 2006, 52K miles on it, for 9600$.
I personally didnt like it, since it is a TOYOTA and I am not a big fan of it, and second the car is really a GIRLY car!:cookoo:

However, I should confess that Scion tC is a better car than most of other cars TOYOTA builds. My friend and me had test driven Corolla and Camry for him, and they both were a big disappointment, very plain interior, very cheap materials for dash and panels,... tC is not my favoriate car at all, but is a good car in the scope of TOYOTA.

Here is a very brief review of car:

Goods:
Sporty look (good for gals, not for guys),

Although it is a compact coupe, it has very large interior space and leg room for both front and rear seats.

Very good acceleration, it is a sharp car

Sporty and almost nice interior design, you will not feel cheap, when you look inside the car.

Good sound system

Cheap to repair and maintain

Bads:

I feel TOYOTA is exaggerating engine power and acceleration by overdriving the engine at higher RPMs. Just by a touch of acceleration, engine RPM jumps to 2500, 3000, contributing a high acceleration to the car. This gives a fake feeling to the driver that there is a powerful engine under the hood, but there is NOT!

Very stiff suspension, this is a coupe and it should have a bit stiff suspension to be sharp at corners, but not so much!

There are some cheap parts in the car, e.g. left and right glasses are built by very cheap materials.

poor gas millage, 20 MPG city, and 27 MPG highway for a very light 4 cylinder is really low. I guess it is all because of overdriving the engine, to give the fake feeling of a powerful engine to the driver!

VEEY stiff and hard steering, I may get used to my Cadi, but it shouldn't be so stiff.

A very small trunk

Last, but not least, tC is not real men's car! :yup:

The car may look cute, but I am not sure looking cute means good or bad!
Driving the car for first time was fun, the car is SHARP, but when I watched RPM I scared by how high it goes.... Hard steering is really annoying, especially in U turns, suspension is very hard and the car is not very comfortable passing the bumps or road hazards.
For me, driving the car looks like to driving a toy car, very small and fancy steering wheel, shifter, small and fancy gages, etc.

The original sticker says, 16200$, a reasonable price for a compact car, but used ones really keep their value, as the one that my friend bought has done!

Overall, it can be a good car for gals, as the first two owners of the car were both female, but not for men. I prefer to stick with my own classy 11 year old STS, instead of this toy!

Stingroo
06-06-10, 09:16 PM
LOL 27 highway? My wagon can do close to that. That's a fail.

ben.gators
06-06-10, 09:39 PM
LOL 27 highway? My wagon can do close to that. That's a fail.

Yeap, it is, my 3,972 lb car, with 8 cylinder 4.6L engine has almost the same gas millage that the light 4 cylinder tC has, but come on, I am driving a full size, beautiful, safe, and comfortable Cadillac, not an small, compact, unstable and light car!

I guess it is all because of overdriving the engine. In highway, if you want to drive by 80Miles, RPM will go near to 4000RPM, so what is the point in putting a 4 cylinder engines in this car, really?

Stingroo
06-06-10, 09:50 PM
Wow really? That's stupid high revs for that.

Koooop
06-07-10, 12:27 AM
That sounds so much better than the V8 LS.

Not! Epic Fail.

Aron9000
06-07-10, 12:59 AM
That car was such a LAME ASS replacement for the Celica. Although I'm not a huge fan of that car, the last generation looked pretty sharp and wasn't a total bitch car like the Tc.

Interesting specs:

Celica:
2425lb curb weight
140hp base motor
180hp optional motor that's also used in the Lotus Elise and has an 8500rpm redline!!
Tighter handling due to stiffer suspension and less weight.
24/30mpg with base motor/5 speed

tC:
2970lb curb weight
161hp
19/27 mpg with 5 speed

Toyota really went backwards and made a fat lazy car out of the tC.

Jesda
06-07-10, 06:05 AM
Well, its transportation. I'd have a hard time parting with 7 grand for it though.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-07-10, 07:25 AM
Total chick car. I test drove a Scion Tc last year and left really unimpressed. It didn't drive very sporty or nimble like a car it's size should. Rather it was spongy, uninspiring and dull. I don't remember the steering as being particularly tight, nor was it especially quick and it didn't offer a very "connected" feel through the suspension. It felt like you took a Civic Si, which was a very tight & sporty car, and added molasses in the entire driveline and though the steering and gearbox, and then you had a Tc.