: platinum headlights not running during the day..any advice ?

Roger_1
03-25-10, 06:10 PM
Hey guys,

I was finally able to switch out the front end of my 07 EXT.

I changed the frond and the headlights. So far I have to say im REALLY happy, but I have a one single little issue.

The headlights dont come on during the day.

All the parts were new and genuine GM parts including the wire harness, it was all a simple plug and play, so I feel confident that its not that parts aren't compatible.

Anybody got any ideas ?

Ill post up some pictures when the weather gets a little nicer here.

PreachRR
03-25-10, 08:57 PM
Is your nav system switching from night to day colors.. I had a problem with this and it was the ambient light sensor

kars79
03-25-10, 09:15 PM
I have seen couple platinum around town during the day and their headlight was on,

So i guess ur problem might be a sensor issue.

Led lights look very complicated to me.

im sure your truck look awesome.

i thought about changing my front bumper too,

How much does it cost doing something like that ?

Roger_1
03-26-10, 02:32 AM
My nav screen switches properly from day to night modes, and at dusk the headlights do turn on, so I think that the ambient light sensor works as it should.

I know there are some other members on this board that have also done this conversion, i would certainly any input from them.

ill post some pics once the weather gets nicer.

lousy_investor
04-22-10, 11:59 AM
I found the light sensor a bit annoying in the way it decides when it should switch to night mode, or when it shouldn't switch back to day mode. When I start the car in the garage, I understand why it turns on the headlight. But if it is just before sunset and still relatively bright outside, they wouldn't switch back to day mode. So I have to struggle with not seeing the nav screen nor anything on the dashboard for that matter. It works perfectly fine when it is clearly day or night... just the in-between confuses it. None of my other cars with this feature (BMW and Mini) has this problem.

Still LOVING my truck despite this. :)

hcvone
04-22-10, 12:05 PM
I found the light sensor a bit annoying in the way it decides when it should switch to night mode, or when it shouldn't switch back to day mode. When I start the car in the garage, I understand why it turns on the headlight. But if it is just before sunset and still relatively bright outside, they wouldn't switch back to day mode. So I have to struggle with not seeing the nav screen nor anything on the dashboard for that matter. It works perfectly fine when it is clearly day or night... just the in-between confuses it. None of my other cars with this feature (BMW and Mini) has this problem.

Still LOVING my truck despite this. :)

Something must have changed in 2010, because the 2010 switches from day to night and night to day much faster while my 07', 08' and 09' all lag in this area, and in the mountains where my other trucks lights are on until about noon daily, the 2010 turns the light off early in the morning

WaterKing
05-03-10, 06:00 PM
Roger1, I think we are screwed in a way....Just got around to laying out the harness for the Platinum lights for my 2007EXT and remembered your post so I checked the pin outs on the harnesses where they hook to the fuze box (grey) and the other connector under the fuze box (purple) and there are several mismatches that offer no connection although the wires in the harness are obviously necessary. I also have a 2008 EXT so I checked that and the fuze box and connectors are ALL different in some way or another. I think when the guy said it was just plug and play with the new harness he was talking about 2009 models or at least a 2008. Maybe HCVONE can shed some light as well because I think he did one but it may have been a 2009 model (nope, he has to have tow hooks). Anyway since I have to sort this out for my 2007 I will let you know what I find out. It will take probably a week though. Took pictures of the plugs, fuze boxes top and bottom but still have to wring out the wiring harness and look for wiring diagrams.....It would help a lot if someone could provide a picture of a Platinum edition fuze box and inside cover which has the index for the fuzes. If you could pursue that I will work on wringing out the 2007 vs 2008 wiring.

WaterKing
05-03-10, 06:30 PM
Just checked my records and it looked like lactruck81, HUNGLOWE, and Ramimotors may have already done this conversion...Maybe they can provide some more insight.

WaterKing
05-21-10, 01:13 AM
After about 30hrs of downloading diagrams, reading through prints and comparing harnesses, I now know that Platinum headlights are NOT plug and play with 2007 Escalades, and probably not with 2008 either. The headlight harness (GM OEM) does not correspond pin to pin with 2007 or 2008 X103 harnesses nor does it correspond exactly to the X1 connector on the fuse box. It may correspond to 2009 models but I don't have one lying around to physically check but wiring looks good. Hooking up the necessary gm platinum harness without modification should disable the mirror temperature reading, and may result in the DRL not working correctly because 2007 and 2008 do not have the wires running to pins 16 and 19 of the X2 connector on the BCM that the 2009 has and those wires are open ended in the connector. The harness I got also does not even have the left temperature sensor connector (I think it is an export cable because it has an X119 connector on the left that has nowhere to go). It is amazing the little changes that happen year to year without mention. No wonder the techs have such a hard time with wiring issues. I think it can be made to work on 2007's with a few connector pin changes and am pursuing this. I do plan on changing my BCM to a 2009 model in the future so I will probably run the additional wires just before then but for now I will try to do some changes to just make the DRL work even if codes are set. I would appreciate anyone who has changed to Platinum headlights to let me know what model and year they did it on so that I can better figure this out. I may just have the wrong harness. And for Roger1, was your harness missing the wire and connector to the left temperature sensor in front of the radiator? Did it have the unused two pin connector close to the horn and washer fluid cables?

WaterKing
06-08-10, 08:18 PM
Finally think I have the platinum DLR light issue with 2007 wiring harness worked out. The regular 2007 Escalade uses a DLR relay (on the PCB of the engine fuse box) to apply power 12V through the fuses to the dark blue wires in the front harness when a ground is provided by the BCM on (X4 23). The 2009 platinum Escalade does NOT use the DLR relay. It appears that the 2009 BCM turns on the LED lo headlight relay and then provides a ground to a resistor in the front wiring harness via the different harness from the same source (X4 23) which apparently reduces the voltage through the headlight. All of these wires are Not connected when a platinum harness is connected to the 2007 fuse box and J connector. There are two additional wires that go to the BCM on the J connector that I think the BCM uses to monitor headlight condition. These wires do Not exist on the 2007 wiring harness or BCM. I think I have a work around figured out which involves jumpering the 2007 wiring at the fuse box from the DLR relay to the lo headlight relay is energized and also jumpering it to the resistor pack in the wiring harness. I have test this and it seems the headlights dim when the jumpers are in place and DLR is signalled by the BCM. I also ran the two wires required for the mirror temp reading which are missing on the Platinum harness. But I do not have a platinum model to compare it to. What I need from someone with working DLR's on a Platinum edition is to tell me what lights are lit for DLR and if when DLR's are on and they energize the headlights manually from the headlight switch on the dash (while the DLR's are on) if the Lights simply get brighter. I really need this information before I can button this up.....I have wires and front end all apart right now.

WaterKing
06-12-10, 02:42 AM
Finally got it done. Now have DLR during the day but the solution wasn't pretty. Nobody provided any feedback on their harness so this pertains to only the harness I have installed in my 2007 EXT. Basically, the 2009
TQ4 (Led platinum) does not use the DLR relay in the fuse box, instead it energizes the low beam headlights and then provides a ground to a resistor pack taped up in the front harness (BTW, in the 2007 harness the DLR wire is about 30 FT long, it is just folded over many times in the harness) to increase the resistance to the led to reduce light. I wanted to make minimum wiring changes to my major harnesses so I installed a relay that energizes the Low beam relay (by providing a ground) when the 2007 DLR relay is energized. I also ran an additional wire to the fuse box DLR relay energizing point (by providing ground) that goes to the new front harness's resistor pack. I could have done it easier with a diode but when they fail they are really hard to find, as it is I can remove the relay and the wiring is essentially stock although still mismatched. Now when DLR is ON according to the 2007 wiring...it will energize the low beam headlight relay and provide a ground to the resistor pack via the BCM thereby reducing the light output. If the low beam headlights are turned on the during the day the programming inside the BCM turns off the DLR (removes ground) which in my case removes the ground from the resistor pack restoring full light output. Using the relay and retaining the 2007 DLR relay function also allowed me to run additional lights (fog light LED strip) that energize with the DLR. Wired it wrong several times because information is hard to get. Have no room in my picture folder to provide additional pictures. Many thanks to peso611 who was kind enough to tell me what lights and intensity I should expect during the different conditions on a Platinum model so I could confirm proper operation.

zach2011
06-12-10, 03:01 AM
WaterKing, you may know this, but, you don't have to use the website's picture uploading system. Just upload to tinypic.com or photobucket, and use the IMG code it gives you. An example will look like this "link to image".

And then you can share with us as many pictures as you'd like!

WaterKing
06-12-10, 03:06 PM
Thanks Zach. I will try that when I get more computer time.

davecampbell1
09-02-14, 11:21 PM
Did you ever get your day time running lamps working?

hcvone
09-03-14, 08:40 AM
Did you ever get your day time running lamps working?

After 4 years that is how old the post is, he is probably a few tracks down the road by now. ;)

Julian-S
09-05-14, 04:18 AM
HI!
can somebody please tell me how can this transformation be done?
i have a 2008 escalade with regular headlights and i want to have LED
please anyone?