: Certification Thread

tru504187211
08-20-04, 12:42 PM
I know TDogg and Msilva have mentioned them before...but in this thread, could you post your PC certifications that you have or plan on getting, just so we have an idea of how technical oriented us Caddy owners are!

Have completed...
70-210: Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
A+ 2003 Core 220-301

Up next...
A+ 2003 OS 220-302 - Next week!
Considering MCDST...

What exactly do you study from and about how long? Do you sign up when you are confident enough, or sign up and study very intense for the time until or what?

Elvis
08-20-04, 04:04 PM
I don't get certifications, I GIVE them.

For example, Wes is certifiable.

majax
08-20-04, 04:33 PM
:bonkers: certifications, wess is certifiable. I'm lost guys what you talkin about?

majax
08-20-04, 04:37 PM
OH i read one of the other threads and now I get what your talkin about. Those kind of certifications hahaha.

well I dont have any im 15 and in high shcool.

My dads a certified attorney hahaha

Msilva954
08-20-04, 05:20 PM
Just starting now, but for the next 2 yrs........3hrs a day....I will be learning to configure,administer,and basically master....A+,Server2000,Server2003,Cisco, and many others that I wont start on until my Senior year........this is only the first week of school and we have already gone through,tested and worked on the first 3-4 ch of all.One hellava lota work.

daacon
08-20-04, 08:57 PM
May become Oracle OCP certified (dba and or IAS server) - have not decided - at this stage in my career , not much need I think - but may do it just to have it (never looks bad).

There is also a Canadian ISP (Information System Professional) I may get. This one is purely a networking opertunity - I have enough years in the field , there is no test - just gotta fill out some forms , pay my $300.00 and get to dress up in a suit once a month for a networking dinner ......not my cup of tea really - but again at some point may be a necessary evil.

And like Wes I have also been called "certifiable" (that is usually my answer when people ask me if I have an OCP)

But I think for those starting out , certification is definatley a plus and worthwhile (shows comittement if nothing else). Given equal candiates , an unlikley scenario I know , if neither of them wowed me with their persoanlity - certification would tip the scale.

Msilva954
08-20-04, 10:23 PM
That certification in the IT field is just like a Real Estate agent getting a Brokers license, it shows you are credible and most likely more experienced.

T_Dogg8
08-23-04, 08:42 AM
certifications are almost becoming more important than a degree. which sort of sucks since i'm more interested in the business side. i want to move into management more than i want to be a lab rat forever. so for me, i need certifications to get started, but most likely won't be using them in the not too distant future (with any luck). so that's why i haven't gotten any yet. i have so many other things going on with 2 jobs and a third in the winter, plus coaching basketball. i barely have time for my girl friend so i don't like to take time away from her just to study for something that might or might not help me in the future.

Sean McDonald
08-23-04, 09:32 AM
It's been a couple of years, but I have A+ and Novell CNA. Also studied Solaris 7 (currently work with Linux), NT Server, Cisco, Network security and interoperability. As well as a few other odds and ends. BTW, if any one knows of any jobs available I'm alway's looking! :)

tru504187211
08-24-04, 11:05 AM
chalk up another for Mr. Hoppe...

MCP and now A+ certified as of today!

T_Dogg8
08-24-04, 11:10 AM
congrats. i really should get my ass on that.

tru504187211
10-03-04, 10:40 AM
FINALLY!! These certifications along with the skills I've used over the years, and the business have FINALLY turned into a job in the IT field!! Net+ will have to work around my regular 8-5 schedule now. I am now part of the desktop support team at the Racine County Courthouse, but I am technically employeed by Velocity Partners Inc. Best part was I did not even apply, they must have found my resume posted on Yahoo Hot Jobs or somewhere similar! Every job I applied for had hundreds of applicants, so I am truely blessed. PicknSave Dairy dept. will still be for weekends, so welcome the 7 day workweeks again...

T_Dogg8
10-04-04, 08:59 AM
congrats. welcome to hell. hopefully your contracting company isn't raping you like mine is. good luck and have fun!

tru504187211
10-04-04, 04:24 PM
We shall soon see...either way...it will get me that 'official' experience with I needed soooo bad, but as time goes on, more certifications will be on the way to hopefully bring me up and up on the IT chain!

T_Dogg8
10-05-04, 07:31 AM
that's still something i haven't gotten too. i guess because deep down i want to get out of IT. i'm more of a business man who happens to be good with computers. ultimately i want my own business. hopefully that won't be too far down the road. problem is, you need money to get things like that really rolling.

tru504187211
10-05-04, 08:14 AM
that's still something i haven't gotten too. i guess because deep down i want to get out of IT. i'm more of a business man who happens to be good with computers. ultimately i want my own business. hopefully that won't be too far down the road. problem is, you need money to get things like that really rolling.

Ahh, ok gottcha. What type of business are you looking to get into? What should I look out for so this staffing firm will not attempt to rape me?