: New 5.0 Mustang Dyno'd: 395 RWHP/ 365 TQ

gary88
03-25-10, 02:10 PM
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/25/video-inside-line-dynos-the-2011-ford-mustang-gt-5-0/

Ford says that the 2011 Mustang GT makes 412 horsepower and 390 pound-feet of torque, thanks to its new, advanced 5.0-liter V8. Well, Ford may just be full of crap. Autojournos have descended upon California this week to to kick the snot out of the 2011 Mustangs at the Blue Oval's invitation, and Inside Line took one of the new 5.0 GT models and strapped it to a Dynojet to see what the real numbers were. Thankfully, they do not disappoint.

It's like this: after seven pulls, Inside Line's tester reliably belted out 395 horsepower at 6,600 RPM and 365 pound-feet of torque at 4,350 rpm. That's at the wheel, natch, and since IL estimates the 'Stang sees only an 11% to 13% driveline loss thanks to its stick axle, the car is likely making somewhere between 438 and 446 horsepower at the crank far more than the advertised 412.

This should come as no surprise to anyone, especially Inside Line. After all, last year they did the same thing with a 2010 GT500 only to learn that - surprise! - it was underrated. (Their tester put down 511 horsepower at the wheel. The guys figured the number at the crank to be around 570 horses, not the 540 advertised).

Is it possible that the 2011 Ford Mustang GT media launch testers are juiced? Sure it is, but we think it's unlikely. Reason number one is that Ford would be exposed the moment customer cars started getting delivered and dynoed, which would then look really foolish. Reason number two is the 1999 SVT Cobra. Upon its release, that particular car became infamous for not making its advertised 320 horsepower. While Ford eventually made things right via a recall, the incident was clearly embarrassing and likely left Dearborn with a "never again" mentality that sticks to this day. Hence, we're inclined to think Inside Line's numbers are no fluke. The 2011 Ford Mustang GT, with its new engine, is designed to punch the Chevrolet Camaro in the teeth and make it taste blood. By underrating the 5.0, Ford's just, you know, making sure.

I must say, Ford is doing some good things lately. I hope they keep it up.

http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/af175/gheb882/ford_100302454_m.jpg?t=1269540356

http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/af175/gheb882/ford_100309020_m.jpg?t=1269540356

orconn
03-25-10, 02:32 PM
The dash on this Mustang certainly is more attractive than the Boombox inspired dash on the new Camaro. A little restraint and good taste goes a long way!

Rolex
03-25-10, 03:12 PM
Return of the 5 liter. :cool2:

C'mon sing it wit me: rollin' in my five point oh.....wit my rag top down so mah hair can blow

girlies on standby waiting just say hi......did I stop? NO....I just rolled by. :bouncy:

hueterm
03-25-10, 04:00 PM
OMG -- so sad... Next time you get your hair buzzed, be sure to get some stripes added :-p

thebigjimsho
03-25-10, 04:03 PM
I want to make love to this motor...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-25-10, 06:52 PM
Ford = win. I've always preferred the Camaro to the Mustang, but it changes in '11.

Stingroo
03-25-10, 07:06 PM
Nah. Only years I prefer the Mustang are '65 and '66. ;)

<3 the Camaro.

Kick94sts
03-25-10, 07:25 PM
Finally they make some more power out of their V8's

V-Eight
03-25-10, 07:32 PM
^ That.

And now, Chevy is going to be pushed to make the Camaro faster again. The Pony Wars return....

Stingroo
03-25-10, 07:36 PM
Hooray!

V-Eight
03-25-10, 07:41 PM
Yeah, I can't wait to see what these guys come out with in the next few years. I haven't heard any news on a new Challenger yet though.

LS1Mike
03-25-10, 10:20 PM
Dyno numbers are cool. Everyone loves a dyno Queen...
I want to see track times.

Destroyer
03-25-10, 11:24 PM
Problem with the Mustang and Camaro is that they are both ugly. Yes, ugly. The ass end on both the Mustang and Camaro is ugly! I was once the biggest fan of both the Mustang and Camaro and now can't see me in either. The horsepower is great but they are just too damn ugly. Ford had it right with the '05-'09 Stang. Chevy just missed the mark with the new Camaro. The SRT Challenger is the best representative of the muscle car era IMO.

thebigjimsho
03-25-10, 11:36 PM
Rumor has it a Stang w/ the Coyote motor and track pack was pulling times at GingerMan faster than the M3 track record...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-25-10, 11:52 PM
The SRT Challenger is the best representative of the muscle car era IMO.

Yes, except for the fact it's huge, heavy and horrible in the corners. It's pretty sad when a "pony car" is longer, wider and taller than most family sedans.

Destroyer
03-26-10, 12:01 AM
Yes, except for the fact it's huge, heavy and horrible in the corners. It's pretty sad when a "pony car" is longer, wider and taller than most family sedans.
Muscle cars weren't about 'takin corners. It's all about the sound, the stance and the acceleration. I wouldn't call it "horrible in the corners". I recently drove one and it handled beautifully. Loved it! Just wouldn't be practical for me at the present time.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-26-10, 12:04 AM
Yeah, but they're huge. Only Chrysler would take a car that was once in the pony car class and build it on their full sized sedan's chassis!

V-Eight
03-26-10, 12:53 AM
horrible in the corners. .

I'd say that's pretty representative of the era :P

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-26-10, 07:35 AM
I'd say that's pretty representative of the era :P

Right, but that was 1970. This is 2010. The Camaro & Mustang handle quite nicely, as the car mags say, but the Challenger isn't as tight as they are.

C&C
03-26-10, 11:25 AM
Well, Camaro can counter with a rumored DI 'LS' engine, and I'm sure there's a 'Z-28' in the near future. The 'Pony' wars are alive and well; except maybe the Challenger (they need to work on that one).

concorso
03-26-10, 11:45 AM
Yes, except for the fact it's huge, heavy and horrible in the corners. It's pretty sad when a "pony car" is longer, wider and taller than most family sedans.How is huge, heavy, and horrible in the corners NOT representative of old muscle cars, even if it was a Pony car? The 3rd gen Challenger is the length of my hand longer then the 1st gen. The new Challenger is the only 1 of the 3 that is a real throwback to old muscle.
The Challenger isnt that bad in the corners anyhow. Its well balanced and it offers good grip...

dkozloski
03-26-10, 11:53 AM
The other night on "Pass Time" on Speed Channel they asked one guy how much horsepower his motor put out and he said 8000. It was a top fuel funny car and he wasn't lying.

V-Eight
03-26-10, 01:37 PM
The other night on "Pass Time" on Speed Channel they asked one guy how much horsepower his motor put out and he said 8000. It was a top fuel funny car and he wasn't lying.

That's awesome! I love that show.

Right, but that was 1970. This is 2010. The Camaro & Mustang handle quite nicely, as the car mags say, but the Challenger isn't as tight as they are.

Yeah, that's true. Hopefully they come out with a dedicated platform for it but with Chrylers current money situation, I doubt that'll happen.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-26-10, 08:11 PM
How is huge, heavy, and horrible in the corners NOT representative of old muscle cars, even if it was a Pony car? The 3rd gen Challenger is the length of my hand longer then the 1st gen. The new Challenger is the only 1 of the 3 that is a real throwback to old muscle.
The Challenger isnt that bad in the corners anyhow. Its well balanced and it offers good grip...

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm sure the Challenger is amazing in the corners compared to what I'm used to driving, and 80% of the other cars currently on the road. But, it's big. The R/T is 4041 lbs, the SE is 3819 lbs. The '70 Challenger was about 36-3700 lbs. The '10 Camaro SS is 3700 lbs, The '10 Mustang GT is 3401 lbs.

But, the Challenger is the only car of the three that looks almost like a spot on duplicate of the original. It's a good looking car, but I wish they would have been a bit more original with it.

Destroyer
03-26-10, 11:30 PM
How is huge, heavy, and horrible in the corners NOT representative of old muscle cars, even if it was a Pony car? The 3rd gen Challenger is the length of my hand longer then the 1st gen. The new Challenger is the only 1 of the 3 that is a real throwback to old muscle.
Exactly what I'm saying. The Challenger is much closer than the Mustang and Camaro to it's origins. It may not be faster and it may not be the best handler but it is the coolest. I'm approaching 40 years of age and I would pick the fastest of the 3 if I were younger. Today I would simply want the one that I thought was the "coolest". I'd pick the Mopar!:eek::thumbsup:

Destroyer
03-26-10, 11:34 PM
The R/T is 4041 lbs, '10 Camaro SS is 3700 lbs
Hmm. Well, if you have a Challenger and you want to have an even race with a Camaro SS you can get yourself a fat friend and make him jump into the competitors Camaro SS and even things out. :alchi:

Aron9000
03-27-10, 02:27 AM
I parked next to a Challenger in the Cadillac the other day, just to see how big the Dodge is. Its wider and just as tall as the Caddy, and only about 12" shorter. Just too damn big IMO, it reminds me more of the 1960's Charger or a 60's Riveria in terms of scale/purpose.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-27-10, 08:05 AM
I parked next to a Challenger in the Cadillac the other day, just to see how big the Dodge is. Its wider and just as tall as the Caddy, and only about 12" shorter. Just too damn big IMO, it reminds me more of the 1960's Charger or a 60's Riveria in terms of scale/purpose.

Exactly!! They should have made this car the Charger, made it look just like the 68-70 Charger, then made a smaller one called the Challenger, and called the current Charger the Polara or something like that. I never liked the idea of using the most badass name in muscle car history, the Charger, on a four door family sedan. Granted, it could get a hemi, but still....

concorso
03-27-10, 12:26 PM
I parked next to a Challenger in the Cadillac the other day, just to see how big the Dodge is. Its wider and just as tall as the Caddy, and only about 12" shorter. Just too damn big IMO, it reminds me more of the 1960's Charger or a 60's Riveria in terms of scale/purpose.If you look at the dimensions, the 1st gen Challenger was only 6 inches shorter then the present 3rd gen. The only dimension with the new Challenger that is significantly different is the height. The footprint is fairly close. Park a 1st gen Challenger next to 3rd gen, youll see what I mean. The sizes are not as different as you make them out to be.

concorso
03-27-10, 12:32 PM
Exactly what I'm saying. The Challenger is much closer than the Mustang and Camaro to it's origins. It may not be faster and it may not be the best handler but it is the coolest. I'm approaching 40 years of age and I would pick the fastest of the 3 if I were younger. Today I would simply want the one that I thought was the "coolest". I'd pick the Mopar!:eek::thumbsup:Im glad the sales of the the Mustang and Camaro are so high, but I still wouldnt want them. Im younger then you are by the way, but thats middle aged by todays standards apparently. :) For me,I just want the car I want the most. The Camaro and the newer new Mustang really dont do anything for me. THey dont have the historic look, so at this point they lose their appeal. Id cross shop a Challenger and a 335i Coupe, before Id look at a Mustand or Camaro.

concorso
03-27-10, 12:34 PM
Exactly!! They should have made this car the Charger, made it look just like the 68-70 Charger, then made a smaller one called the Challenger, and called the current Charger the Polara or something like that. I never liked the idea of using the most badass name in muscle car history, the Charger, on a four door family sedan. Granted, it could get a hemi, but still....I think sales would have been better if they had followed your line of thinking more... The original Challenger was outsold by the Camaro and Mustang as well, so theres even more historical significance. :)

96Fleetwood
03-27-10, 01:58 PM
. I never liked the idea of using the most badass name in muscle car history, the Charger, on a four door family sedan. Granted, it could get a hemi, but still....

Have you ever driven a SRT-8 Charger? My Father had two of them... talk about BADASS! Still one of the most fun vehicles I have driven from his stable. :lildevil: Loud, burly, and menacing... Very worthy of the name!

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g147/sixtyspecial/IMG_9431.jpg

As for the new Camaro.. bleh. My wife and I rented a LT 6 cylinder in Vegas last month (brand new with only 18 miles on it). I know it is not a SS.. but talk about the worst interior ergonomics I have ever experienced (Just as bad as my 2002 Trans Am)! It felt cheap compared to the 2010 rental V6 Mustangs I have driven. I have yet to drive a SS to compare to the SRT-8... maybe I should do that later today.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j69/leloz/Vegas%20Vacation%202-2010/Picture094.jpg

As for the new 2010 Mustang GT... I can't wait to drive one! They looked/felt great at the Chicago auto show.

gary88
03-27-10, 02:07 PM
^^^ I see an E39 touring in your sig now, nice!

gary88
03-27-10, 05:37 PM
I noticed a new Challenger parked way out by itself today, so I decided to quickly sneak some pictures near it to roughly compare its size to my car.

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/7294/img8956l.jpg

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/6215/img8957k.jpg

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/4918/img8961.jpg

Conclusion: yep, the Challenger is big.

thebigjimsho
03-29-10, 12:32 AM
Compare a new SHO to an original SHO for a wow comparison...

Lord Cadillac
03-29-10, 12:01 PM
All these cars need to get smaller. The Camaro is too heavy as well. The Mustang is the lightest of the bunch but I bet the next Camaro is going to be close in size to a G37 Coupe. There's no reason a Camaro needs to be any bigger than that...

I noticed a new Challenger parked way out by itself today, so I decided to quickly sneak some pictures near it to roughly compare its size to my car.

Your 335i is a touch faster than the Challenger stock. But for about $700.00 and 30 minutes under the hood, you can add 100 horsepower... I'm guessing you already knew that, though. :D

1ATony
03-29-10, 03:54 PM
I love the Shelby GT350 that thing is awesome. The new Challenger is very nice too

Lord Cadillac
03-29-10, 04:16 PM
I love the Shelby GT350 that thing is awesome. The new Challenger is very nice too
I was never a Mustang "guy". I always had F-Bodies growing up. But I've always admired the 5.0s - and I love the look of the new retro styled Mustangs. The Camaro is, to me, the best retro styled car there is. I'm not crazy about the Challenger.. But the Camaro is very heavy. I'd love to see it lose weight. The Mustang could drop some weight as well - though I hear the 2011 is going to be quite a bit lighter than the outgoing model...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-29-10, 10:35 PM
Have you ever driven a SRT-8 Charger? My Father had two of them... talk about BADASS! Still one of the most fun vehicles I have driven from his stable. :lildevil: Loud, burly, and menacing... Very worthy of the name!

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g147/sixtyspecial/IMG_9431.jpg

I have not driven a Charger R/T or SRT, and I'm sure they're all everyone says they are, but IMO, a Charger should be a coupe, no other way about it.

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/7294/img8956l.jpg

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/6215/img8957k.jpg

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/4918/img8961.jpg

Man, that Challenger is big. Especially when you look at them from behind.

Compare a new SHO to an original SHO for a wow comparison...

Yeah no kidding, the original SHO was a midsized car in 1986 terms, which would practically be a compact today! The new SHO is almost as long as a Crown Victoria, and probably taller.

thebigjimsho
03-31-10, 12:36 AM
http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezflow_site/storage/images/reviews/car/09q3/2010-ford-taurus-sho-road-test/2010-ford-taurus-sho/node_283131/2683202-1-eng-US/image_cd_gallery_zoomed.jpg

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-31-10, 12:47 AM
Man, that's weird. Not really digging the grille on that 89-91 on the far right, but it's not stock so no matter. I guess I really like the 92-95's the most. They were more rounded and modern looking than the 89-91's, and they lost those half skirts over the rear wheels, and they had a far better interior and I could finally get one with an automatic! Although, I do like the original SHO's wire look wheels (dad's 89 Taurus LX wagon had the same ones) and I hear they were the quickest and most fun to drive..

I always thought it would have been neat if someone put the SHO's 3.2L V6 and four speed automatic into a 88-94 Continental. Man, that would have been a sleeper!
How did those compare to a similar vintage Maxima SE?

thebigjimsho
03-31-10, 01:08 AM
To a SHO owner, 4DSC meant 4 Door Slow Car...

Kick94sts
03-31-10, 01:37 AM
That's a crazy picture!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-31-10, 07:37 AM
I always thought it would be fun to run an ATX SHO and a 93-95 STS back to back and see how they compared. I wonder if the SHO has more noticeable kick when it gets into the engine's sweet spot in the RPM range?

gary88
04-01-10, 01:30 PM

According to Motor Trend:
0-60 in 4.3 seconds
1/4 mile in 12.8 seconds @ 110mph

YouTube- First Test: 2011 Ford Mustang GT

I am officially impressed.

HAZZARDJOHN
04-01-10, 03:54 PM
Man, that's weird. Not really digging the grille on that 89-91 on the far right, but it's not stock so no matter.

It is a Stock Taurus Piece. It was on the Police Package Taurus of the era. It let more air into the radiator.

http://www.spragers.com/graphics/bull/popo1.jpg

Lot of SHO guys like them.

Oh and Automatics suck!

~HJ

C&C
04-01-10, 03:55 PM
It may very well be that stout (but was it a production model, off the line) or a supplied from Ford representation. I don't know and I'm not trying to cast any dispersions (but cheating has been known to occur). Besides, when it's all said and done; It's still just a Mustang. :ohthedrama:

notld67
04-01-10, 05:44 PM
I more impressed with the 2011 V6 stang.... 13.7 1/4 stock out of a 6? wtf...thats faster then a challenger R/T and most gt's...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-01-10, 06:56 PM
Stock or not, that grille is UUUUUGLY! I do understand the need for increased airflow though. My dad always complained that our '89 Taurus LX Wagon ran hot.

Kick94sts
04-01-10, 07:59 PM
Motortrend really needs less cheesy acting and camera work lol

AlBundy
04-02-10, 03:36 PM
Stock or not, that grille is UUUUUGLY! I do understand the need for increased airflow though. My dad always complained that our '89 Taurus LX Wagon ran hot.

I always thought that car was fugly so the grill fits.:histeric:

CIWS
04-05-10, 09:59 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_fsxDreKYo

stoveguyy
04-05-10, 11:04 AM
i see 2010 V6 mustangs for 17k. what is the expected price for a 2011 V6 manual trans nice suspension mustang?

V-Eight
04-05-10, 01:44 PM
YouTube- 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 vs. Camaro SS Drag Race (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_fsxDreKYo)

Holy shit! Chevy had better come out with some iteration that can beat that.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-05-10, 10:18 PM
Nice video! I'd love to see them run it on the 1/4 mile track and use better camera work!

CIWS
04-06-10, 09:10 AM
Nice video! I'd love to see them run it on the 1/4 mile track and use better camera work!

With it pulling on the Camaro like that in the 1/8, chances are the 1/4 would just be even worse. However I would still like to see the 5.0 run an SS manual in the 1/4 :yup:

AlBundy
04-06-10, 12:03 PM
Sup C. Good video. I didn't think the Mustange would win that easy.

gary88
04-06-10, 01:04 PM
Looks like the tables have turned :stirpot:

CIWS
04-06-10, 01:50 PM
Sup C. Good video. I didn't think the Mustange would win that easy.

How D Al :)

Yeah with it being roughly the same or more HP and a lighter platform, it makes sense. Although that video looks kinda lopsided ;)