: Which Cadillac to buy?

Easthiller
08-20-04, 10:28 AM
I hope this an appropriate place to post this message; if not, I apologize.
I am planning to upgrade from a 1995 Mark VIII to a Cadillac because I need a 4-door car. I'm not familiar enough with Cadillacs to know which model I want. I like the DeVille. I'm looking for comfort and nimbleness/handling and some reasonable degree of economy. I plan to buy a 2 to 4 year old model. Your thoughts or input on the pros and cons of the various models will be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

caddydaddy
08-20-04, 12:26 PM
I'd check out a Deville DTS. It's the sportier version of the Deville, and it will have the room and nimbleness you want. The base Devilles ride a bit smoother, but don't handle as tight. The Devilles get mid-20's MPG all around and high 20's on the highway, so for a 4,000 lb car with a 300 HP V-8, that is very respectable.
There's also the Seville SLS and STS, but they are quite a bit smaller than the Deville. The Deville and Seville are all there is for late model big 4-door Cadillac.
I would make sure you get one that's still under factory warranty, and buy and extended warranty for it if you plan to keep it. It's money well spent!

Easthiller
08-20-04, 11:49 PM
Caddy Daddy, thanks for the response.
The DTS sounds interesting and I also may be interested in the Seville, in terms of size.
How much difference in size is there and what are other major differences?
I'll do some Internet searching on the models to see what I come up with. Thanks again.

caddydaddy
08-23-04, 10:43 AM
Other than size and styling, the DTS and STS are very similar. They are both built on the same chassis, with the same drivetrain.
The Deville is considerably bigger than the Seville, so I guess it's a matter of how much room you do need. Test drive both, and see which one you like better.
I love my STS because it's like a 4 door Corvette, awesome power and handling, but it has the extra room and luxury the Corvette lacks!

BeelzeBob
08-23-04, 03:50 PM
Just butting my nose in here to say something.. When I sit in a Seville and a DeVille, I almost can't tell the difference. From the front seat - everything seems almost exact. From the back, there's more leg room in the DeVille.. Here are the numbers:

2002 Cadillac Seville
Exterior
Length: 201 in. Width: 75 in.
Height: 55.4 in. Wheel Base: 112.2 in.
Ground Clearance: 5 in. Curb Weight: 3992 lbs.
Interior
Front Head Room: 38.2 in. Front Hip Room: 55.6 in.
Front Shoulder Room: 59.1 in. Rear Head Room: 38 in.
Rear Shoulder Room: 58 in. Rear Hip Room: 57.5 in.
Front Leg Room: 42.5 in. Rear Leg Room: 38.2 in.
Luggage Capacity: 15.7 cu. ft. Maximum Cargo Capacity: 16 cu. ft.
Maximum Seating: 5

Performance Data
Base Number of Cylinders: 8 Base Engine Size: 4.6 liters
Base Engine Type: V8 Horsepower: 300 hp
Max Horsepower: 6000 rpm Torque: 295 ft-lbs.
Max Torque: 4400 rpm Maximum Towing Capacity: 2000 lbs.
Drive Type: FWD Turning Circle: 40.5 ft.

2002 Cadillac DeVille
Exterior
Length: 207.2 in. Width: 74.5 in.
Height: 56.7 in. Wheel Base: 115.3 in.
Ground Clearance: 5.3 in. Curb Weight: 4047 lbs.
Interior
Front Head Room: 39.1 in. Front Hip Room: 56.4 in.
Front Shoulder Room: 60.4 in. Rear Head Room: 38.4 in.
Rear Shoulder Room: 60.1 in. Rear Hip Room: 56.7 in.
Front Leg Room: 42.4 in. Rear Leg Room: 43.2 in.
Luggage Capacity: 19.1 cu. ft. Maximum Cargo Capacity: 19 cu. ft.
Maximum Seating: 5

Performance Data
Base Number of Cylinders: 8 Base Engine Size: 4.6 liters
Base Engine Type: V8 Horsepower: 300 hp
Max Horsepower: 6000 rpm Torque: 295 ft-lbs.
Max Torque: 4400 rpm Drive Type: FWD
Turning Circle: 41.4 ft.

Easthiller
08-23-04, 06:26 PM
Sal, good info, thanks!
Thanks all for responding. There does not seem to be any significant difference in size, weight, roominess, etc. I'll be upgrading from a 95 Mark VIII so I think the Seville probably will be a better fit for me. I'll be looking for a 2-4 year old model in the next couple of months. Thanks again...this is a good group.

BeelzeBob
08-23-04, 07:46 PM
Any time! I agree with the Seville if you're coming out of a Mark VIII. You'll probably be better off with an STS as opposed to an SLS. The STS will handle a little better and the SLS will have the softer ride. I'm not sure how much you'll notice, though. I've only been in the STS.

ben72227
08-23-04, 09:27 PM
Sal's definately right on this one i think. The STS (Seville Touring Sedan, in case you don't already know) (I drive Grandpa's '93 STS all the time) is a luxary vehicle (as are all cadillacs :p ), but its more of a sporty sedan that can go and looks like it wants to go too ;)

As for the Deville, i think this is the Cadillac you want if you have a big family or you just like the styling (land yacht :p ) of it better. Its more of a traditional design, not as radical as the STS was/is. And then you have the SLS (Seville Luxary Sedan) which is a fancy Seville and the DTS which is a Deville that performs like an STS :bonkers: all confusing i suppose.

Basically, just pick one that looks better to you and if you want power/handling, get the Touring Sedan and if you want luxary get the Luxary Sedan.

Also, if i may suggest, the 2002 models that Sal pointed out range in the upper $20,000 near $30,000. You may just want to look into getting a new CTS, which besides being newer and more (IMHO) stylish looking than the previous Sevilles or Devilles, is more of a all around nice sedan. But whatever you pick, im sure it will be good. after all, it is a cadillac ;)

Easthiller
08-24-04, 11:04 AM
More good info!
Although I like the CTS styling, I wonder if the look might become dated (older looking) faster than the Sevilles/Devilles, thereby affecting resale value.
What was the first model year of the CTS?
A friend has one, but I've not yet spent a lot of time in it. I intend to get familiar with it before making a final decision.
Thanks.

caddydaddy
08-24-04, 11:11 AM
2003 was the first year for the CTS. It came with a kinda weak 3.2 V-6, while in 2004, the automatic equipped ones have a 3.6 VVT with 255 HP. Later this year the 3.6 will be available with a manual trans.
My Mom has a '04 CTS with the 3.6 VVT, and it's an amazing car! I have a STS, and I was really impressed with her CTS! It is just as fast, handles just as good, if not better than the STS and rides smooth, but tight.
Not sure if you'd like the size of the CTS though, it's quite a bit smaller than an STS. But it's still an amazing car!

Easthiller
08-24-04, 11:49 AM
CaddyDaddy,
Is there any noticeable increase in engine noise in the cabin with the v6 over the v8s in the Seville/Deville?
Also what grades of fuel do the various models need?
I'm in real estate and the main reason for going to a 4 door is to occasionally carry people to see property. So, as long as there is an adequate back seat, I'm not overly concerned with roominess. And of course with a lot of driving at today's gas prices, engine efficiency is important. What are your thoughts on the CTS styling?
Thanks.

caddydaddy
08-24-04, 02:57 PM
They are still Cadillacs, so the engines are quiet. The only time you hear noise is if you are heavy into the throttle. The Northstar and the 3.6VVT have awesome sounds when they are winding out! But if you are just cruising around, they are very quiet. I'm thinking of adding some better mufflers to my STS just to give it a little more V-8 growl.
The Northstars and the 3.6VVT run best on premium. The 2000 and up Northstars can run on regular, but with decreased power.
You might want to check the CTS for rear legroom since it's a much smaller car than a Deville or Seville.
The CTS styling is growing on me, I didn't like it at first, but it does stick out! If I bought a CTS, the only thing I would change would be to add a billet grille, the stock grilles are ugly, except for the CTS-V's mesh grille. But that's just my opinion!

ben72227
08-24-04, 07:07 PM
Well Easthiller, sounds like you're interested in fuel economy....

THe 2004 CTS, with the 3.6 V6 (automatic) gets 18 MPG city and 28 MPG highway.

the 2002 Deville and Seville both get 18 MPG city and 27 MPG highway, with a combined overall MPG of 21.

Another thing i may point out to you is that the CTS has a 5 speed automatic, while the Seville and Deville (S&D from here on out since im too lazy to type that much :p ) have 4 speed autos

The cts had read wheel drive while both the S&D have front wheel drive.

the cts has 99 cubic feet of passenger room, seville has 104 cubic feet, and the deville has 115 cubic feet (it is after all, a land yacht :p )

Also, about the styling, i think that both the STS and the CTS look quite stylish to me, with the CTS edging out the STS just because its a more modern look. As for the Deville, well :p , if you want people to think you're a grandma who leaves her blinker on all the time because she's too old to hear it, this is your car lol just kidding :p

like i said before, they're all about the same (apart from the CTS having RWD and being smaller) so just pick whichever looks nicest to you. I think your customers (house buyers) would probably be most impressed with the CTS just because its new and not as many people are familiar with it yet.

Caddy Man
08-25-04, 01:16 AM
They are still Cadillacs, so the engines are quiet. The only time you hear noise is if you are heavy into the throttle. The Northstar and the 3.6VVT have awesome sounds when they are winding out! But if you are just cruising around, they are very quiet. I'm thinking of adding some better mufflers to my STS just to give it a little more V-8 growl.
The Northstars and the 3.6VVT run best on premium. The 2000 and up Northstars can run on regular, but with decreased power.
You might want to check the CTS for rear legroom since it's a much smaller car than a Deville or Seville.
The CTS styling is growing on me, I didn't like it at first, but it does stick out! If I bought a CTS, the only thing I would change would be to add a billet grille, the stock grilles are ugly, except for the CTS-V's mesh grille. But that's just my opinion!
the 2000+ models ran on regualar gas, but with 300hp. They did NOT have decreased performance due to unleaded gas. That was they great thing, full power and full torque on unleaded gas. and to Ben72227, forget the deville, have you ever looked at a DTS???? I used to get so many compliments on my DTS, it truly is an amazing looking car, way more unique than an STS.