Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Head and Cam Recommendation

3K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  TexasLonghorn 
#1 ·
I have an 07' with Kooks LT headers, full corsa exhaust and LPE CAI.

My goal is a NA 450 RWHP daily driver. I am leaning towards L92 heads with a pretty high lift cam. Can anyone recommend a specific heads and cam package with the L92 heads and an intake and throttle body.

I would like to hear from anyone running this type of combo. Thanks.

#2 ·
Where are you located?

#4 ·
If I were you I'd find a few good Corvette shops near you and talk with them. See which one you feel most comfortable with and go with them. They will have great recommendations for your goals.

When I was researching cams I was getting advice from all these "internet mechanics" that "knew" what they were talking about. Once I talked to my shop I figured out that most of what I had heard was wrong. I was worried about a high lift cam because of some posts on here, but come to find out it was all crap.

Good luck on your search!

#5 ·
That is my next project as well. I took a lesson from "bolt on King" Chris AKA Trukk. The way to go is the AFR 205 Mongoose heads from what I've read. They pass emmissions and have a good reputation for putting down some good numbers. The cam I had spec'ed from Patrick G of LS1 forum fame ($25.00 fee). The springs would be PAC 1518s which replace the doubles which come from AFR. They are the bee-hive type which are similar to LS6 springs but are supposed to be better for cams under .6 lift. In the cam specs I asked for daily driver manners (even though it's not a daily driver) but with a power curve that will get a weighty sedan like the V in and out of the corners on a road course. 222/226 .597”/.598” 115LSA +2 advance. I'm hoping for 425 to 435 with the stock intake and a ported 78mm TB. Get a fast LSX intake and you should get to 450 easy. Trukk also recommends to look at the oil pump and timing chain while you have the front cover off. I think a real top notch cam & head project with a oil pump and chain. lifters, and push rods and tune could be in the 4-5K range.

#6 ·
That is my next project as well. I took a lesson from "bolt on King" Chris AKA Trukk. The way to go is the AFR 205 Mongoose heads from what I've read. They pass emmissions and have a good reputation for putting down some good numbers. The cam I had spec'ed from Patrick G of LS1 forum fame ($25.00 fee). The springs would be PAC 1518s which replace the doubles which come from AFR. They are the bee-hive type which are similar to LS6 springs but are supposed to be better for cams under .6 lift. In the cam specs I asked for daily driver manners (even though it's not a daily driver) but with a power curve that will get a weighty sedan like the V in and out of the corners on a road course. 222/226 .597”/.598” 115LSA +2 advance. I'm hoping for 425 to 435 with the stock intake and a ported 78mm TB. Get a fast LSX intake and you should get to 450 easy. Trukk also recommends to look at the oil pump and timing chain while you have the front cover off. I think a real top notch cam & head project with a oil pump and chain. lifters, and push rods and tune could be in the 4-5K range.

AFR's are really nice. The OP is lucky in that he has the options of going with much cheaper L92's if he wants since he has the 4" bore LS2.

The main thing I've heard about using the L92's is that they are *very* picky about what cam they work well with. You can get a monster for cheap with the right cam choice, or you can get a dog with the wrong.

Make sure you work with someone that has proven results with cam selection for the L92 heads.

Good luck!

-Chris

#11 · (Edited)
TRUKK your right... 3.903 cast sleeves... means 10 thou MAX can be removed (of course 3.91 is an odd ball size.. custom)... otherwise.. re-sleeve time, some nice Dartons can be punched in ;) heft cost though.
3.905 with a light hone is common and safe hone limit on an LS1/6

- 500rwhp is achievable.. but very aggressive. LG cams G5X-4 with possible piston fly cutting, mongoose 225cc (AFR 1610) heads from what i remember back in the day flowed insane numbers... almost too much for a 346.
FAST intake required ;)

OVER 500 with g5x-4:
ref:
http://www.lgmotorsports.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=361&fullsize=1

C5-G5X-4, LG headers, AFR, FAST 90 for the above dyno

Here is another with AFR 205 / G5x-3 cam w/bolt on.s
http://www.lgmotorsports.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=3&pos=73

TRUKK brings up a VERY IMPORTANT remark.. supporting mods to support these numbers, mechanical and tuning. - Tuning is huge, having the right valve train is crucial (geometries), fueling no limited etc. clutch that holds... g5x-3 is lumpy let alone a g5x-e or 4. Your shifter still bang your leg. ;) and you will have to idle at 1000 rpm.

#12 ·
Thanks Chris!
Thanks CTSVmapper!

Those post are a good read. Appreciate your insight. Used to do cams and heads (and the other stuff that goes along with them) on a few motors long ago, but we are talking 327s, 396s, and 454s. I love how far it has come, and love this LS motor!

Things have come along way (especially with today's engine management), and it is all for the better! You guys that are getting to modify these days, have so much more to work with, and many more details to consider now with the new options/ choices you can make. It is a good time to be hotrodding! :) :)

#13 ·
There's a thread on LS1tech in the Gen III section on developing 500bhp, but Patrick G. He used the AFR 205s. The AFR 205s, and the TFS 215s, are going to set you back around 2300. A CNC ported LS6 head package runs around $1100. The ported LS6 isn't going to do as well as the AFRs, but they're half the price. Patrick stated he gained fuel mileage with the 205s because of the increased port velocity compared to 225s he previously ran.

#14 ·
Which of the following packages look the best:

Texas Speed has an L92 and cam package for ~2000
Precision Race Components L92/LS3 64-72cc Stage 2.5 Cylinder Heads Fully CNC Ported & Assembled With Factory GM 2.165" Intake Valves and 1.59" Exhaust Valves, & PRC Dual Valve Spring Kit with Titanium Retainers; Good to .660" Lift. Kit Also Includes TSP Hardened Pushrods & Your Choice Of Camshaft!!

Livernois Motorsports has the following for ~2200
Livernois Motorsports Stage 2 CNC Ported LS-Series Cylinder Heads
Livernois Motorsports Stage 2 Camshaft
GM MLS Head Gaskets
GM Exhaust Gaskets
ARP Head Bolts
Hardened Pushrods
NGK TR5 Spark Plugs ... $2179.99

Anyone using these specific packages? Anyone using a specific texas speed cam? Thanks for the responses.

#16 ·
I also need suggestions on what intake and throttle body to use. Aftermarket, ported, etc. Thanks.
If you go with L92 style heads, you have to swap to the L76 style intake manifold as well. I think you just re-use you stock 90mm TB. I don't think fast has released an LS3 style intake manifold yet, although I could be wrong, I haven't stayed up with the LS3 style stuff that much.

Make sure you do your homework on this one. Might want to check out the GEN IV internals section over on ls1tech or the dyno section to get some first hand accounts of L92 heads/cam results from other LS2 owners.

-Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.