: what kind of computer do you folks use?

illumina
08-20-04, 12:31 AM
i would be interested in knowing what kind of pc's people here use. what are the specs? what OS do you folks prefer? post pics of them if you have them.

i use this:
custom biostar w/amd 2400+ @ 2.0 gig cpu.
nvidia geforce 5200 128 mb video card.
1024 mb dual channel ddr sdram.
80 gig hard drive.
some sort of windows OS.

0004[3].jpg

plus a few other computers that i have. hmm...maybe i should get a life again, huh?

RERM
08-20-04, 12:44 AM
Apple Ibook G4, 1 mghz, 640MB RAM

RBraczyk
08-20-04, 12:45 AM
Some HP
Some compaq monitor
crappy hp printer
Same graphics card.
I love the card
wish i could say the same about the computer

illumina
08-20-04, 12:47 AM
trade you my hp printer for yours...

Ralph
08-20-04, 12:47 AM
Where can I get an FBI hat? :D

Yours sound brand new. Mines really old, as you know, but it's still pretty quick. Not bogged down with a bunch of downloads, etc. I'll probably buy a new one in the next couple of months.

Windows '98
modded to a whooping 10 gigs of harddrive
15 in. monitor
166 mhz :woohoo:
Lexmark printer (no ink) :crying:

I am definately going to get an all-in-one with scanner on the next buy!

illumina
08-20-04, 12:49 AM
the main pc is getting a little older, almost a year. i'll get around to building another one one day.

oh, the fbi hat i got from dc. cost about 10 bucks at some gift shop.

T_Dogg8
08-20-04, 08:20 AM
at work i use an IBM NetVista with 2 ghz proc. and a gig of ram and a 40 gig hard drive.

at home i have 2 dell inspiration laptops with 2 and 2.2 ghz proc. with 256 mb of ram and 30 gig hard drives.

two desktops, one is a 233 mhz proc. with i think 512 ram. i'm not sure. it's the most the board will hold. and there's a 4 gig hard drive and a 20 gig hard drive. the second one is a 350 mhz proc with 740 mb of ram. don't know about the harddrive. it's just a spare.

i need to build a new desktop but just don't have the money. i try to buy things cheap and then fix them up. my next pc i build will be used as a DVR.

i prefer XP pro but also have 2000 and 95 on my desktops.

(is it obvious i work in IT)

Stoneage_Caddy
08-20-04, 09:17 AM
Dell Optiplex
1.1 celeron 20 gig drive ,512 ram ,soundbaster card ,external 80 gig drive , external burner , 15 inch mitsu flat lcd monitor thing ....

Bought "command and conquer -generals " yesterday for my first computer game , turns out ,my dell is too slow for it

tru504187211
08-20-04, 11:14 AM
Very attractive setup you've got there Illumina...

My main computer consists of...
AMD Athlon XP 2000, but only running at 1.25Ghz...not sure why yet - maybe BIOS update needs to be done?
512Mbs DDR RAM
... here is the entire listing of this computer
http://younggotti.no-ip.org/Computers/Gambino/Gambino.html

This is the listing of all my current computers in the network
http://younggotti.no-ip.org/Computers/Computers.html

I'm mostly a fan of XP Prof. and 98SE.

Vesicant
08-20-04, 11:16 AM
Home:
Antec SLK 1600 case | Painted high-gloss black
AMD Athlon XP 2000+ OC'd @ 2100 speeds | Thermal Take Volcano 7+ Cooler (HS and Fan)
768meg of Infineon DDR 266
Shuttle AK32A Motherboard
Maxtor 40gig 7200RPM Hdd
Samsung 20gig 5400RPM Hdd | Backup HDD
Nvidia FX5200 AGP | Philips 107S 17' CRT monitor
SoundBlaster Live 5.1 | Logitech Z-640 5.1 system
D-Link DWL AB520 PCI Wireless w/external antenna
Windows XP Pro - XP Royale theme'd
Cooling: 92mm Antec exhaust fan | 60 mm Sunon intake fan, specially mounted midway in case- Cools HDD's and Cards
Iomega CD-RW (actually won from Microsoft)
Cheapo DVD-Rom

Home/Work Laptop:
Dell Latitude C810
15 inch XGA LCD @ 1600 x 1200 res.
Pentium III Mobile 1.13ghz/733
IBM 30gig 5400rpm Hdd
512meg pc133
D-Link DWL-AB650 PCMCIA Wireless
nVidia GeForce 2 Go
Windows XP Pro
CD-RW

Fellow techies know what all my setup means ;)

Elvis
08-20-04, 11:28 AM
Office: IBM Thinkcentre, 2.53 GHz, 80gig drive, 375+MB RAM, 15" emachines flat-screen monitor.

Home: Compaq laptop, 2.4GHz, 40 gig drive, 256MB RAM

DEAD: Toshiba Satellite laptop, 2.4GHz, 80 gig drive, 500MB RAM (I miss this computer, someday I'll fix it...)

T_Dogg8
08-20-04, 11:30 AM
i have an 18" flat-panel IBM monitor at work and i LOVE it.

Elvis
08-20-04, 11:39 AM
i have an 18" flat-panel IBM monitor at work and i LOVE it.

bastard :annoyed:

jersey dude
08-20-04, 01:45 PM
Only one other MAC guy? You don't know what you're missing. (Use them at work, too.)

For home I have a G4 tower (Superdrive, running Jaguar) hooked to a 22" (no longer offered) Apple Cinema Display. Next will be the G5 but the G4 is so terrific I am in no hurry to upgrade. I do tons of photo/video work and the thing is rock solid.

THEN... when I bought my iPod mini (also awesome) I happened to see the 12" G4 PowerBook. It haunted me for days and by that Friday I had one. 12" G4 PowerBook (rev.C) with Superdrive running Panther. It continues to blow my mind and I can't imagine how I got along without it. (By the way, 12" might seem small but you can easily bridge it to any other monitor). Whatever project I have on the G4 I just dump on the PowerBook and off I go. More than once it has sat on the passenger seat burning DVDs as I cruise up 95. It has built in Airport (Bluetooth, too) so anywhere there's WiFi I can just hook up. It's free in a few places-costs in most others. It kills time checking Mapquest or email or whatever as you fuel up at the FlyingJ truckstop (not free). Great for passengers too, download a few DVDs and they're set for the ride in the cavernous back seat of the mighty Deville Concours. (I use an iTrip to send it over the stereo and the sound is-well...cinematic!). Of course, when Airport Express came out-I grabbed that too. In addition to serving as a portable 'WiFi' base it can also wirelessly send all the iTunes stuff to your stereo. (Airport Extreme base station for home but the Express for travel).

One other thing-the 12" really does fit perfectly on a flight table. Anything bigger is a bit precarious. So far I have used it on a few jets, a couple ferrys (BIG mistake: watching music videos on a VERY rough crossing to Martha's Vineyard, kind of didn't help with calming the stomach) and a bus. I do lots of photo work and just download the stuff in the field. It is a perfect size/weight for hauling anywhere and in my opinion is the sharpest looking laptop around. Battery life has been adequate for my needs-but playing actual DVD DISCs-will eat the power up. Also just found out Apple recalled the batteries on the 15" PowerBook-heat issues. My 12' heats up too, (was worse in earlier versions) but nothing I find annoying.

Attached some pictures- not mine- from Apples site. (At work now). Check the Apples out... clean, sleek, rock-solid machines. Brilliant design. The 15" and 17" have illuminated keys-the ONLY thing I wish I had on my 12".

Vesicant
08-20-04, 02:30 PM
I was a mac guy for a year or two, i had some older macs...bought a last years production iMac(graphite-900mhz) too.. but returned it the day after i bought it. It hated my advanced windows world because at the time i had a server supplying internet through an industrial method (Microsoft ISA Firewall) which needed a client on every pc to access. IT was great while it lasted though... cant get enough of that OSX.

My laptop has wifi, ive also used it for roadtrips... great thing.. i go along the highway picking up various hotspots , including that FlyingJ truck stop on 95.. lol...

ChristianV
08-20-04, 03:24 PM
My system is top of the line.

It's a Hewlett Packard Pavilion 6640C. It was a "gift" from my parents (i.e hand me down) I'd be better off using an Apple II. I'm running Windows 98 SE. I did install a couple sticks of Ram (128 MB a piece, so total RAM is 320 which is the max for my piece of crap machine) It is reliable though and I keep it virus and spyware free. It's primarily for Internet, MP3 use(with my i-pod 10 GIG, 3rd gen), and for photo editing (Sony Cybershot 3.2 Megapixel).

majax
08-20-04, 03:57 PM
Office: IBM Thinkcentre, 2.53 GHz, 80gig drive, 375+MB RAM, 15" emachines flat-screen monitor.
Home: Compaq laptop, 2.4GHz, 40 gig drive, 256MB RAM
DEAD: Toshiba Satellite laptop, 2.4GHz, 80 gig drive, 500MB RAM (I miss this computer, someday I'll fix it...)

I love those Satelites they are great, I had one that lasted 7 years no problems at all. Sorry yours died on ya.

I built my own computer its got

1,000MHz Pentium 3
160mb 100MHz ram needs upgraded to 256 133MHz ram soon!
40gb 7200RPM Maxtor
Soyo Motherboard
ATI Radeon 7,000 Graphics card
DVD drive and CDRW.

19" Viewsonic A90 Monitor, love it!
and of course an HP Printer 845c deskjet.
Windows 2000 Professional

ITS SO MUCH CHEAPER TO BUILD YOUR OWN COMPUTER! usually lol i only paid like 250 for my comptuer.

Elvis
08-20-04, 04:02 PM
The Satellites made around 2001-2002 had a heat problem. My motherboard crapped out. The replacement is around $500.

My 1996 Satellite 460 is still running. My wife plays card games on it. It's even been left out on the porch during a rainstorm. I cut the power, let it dry out for a couple days and it was fine.

Jersey Dude is a showoff. ;)

majax
08-20-04, 04:08 PM
I had a '95 Satelite im sure its almost Identtical to yours, it'd still probably run but I think I threw it out when I moved in 2002, the floppy drive was cruded out anyways and it started gettin goofy.

Yeah JerseyVette is like all Mac owners pretty much :rolleyes2 ;).

jersey dude
08-20-04, 05:07 PM
I'm gonna' convert you guys yet.

My problem is just going into the Apple store itself. Really well designed and in the SoHo store I felt really under-dressed. I always see something that tortures my mind with desire.

I am impressed with all you tech-heads- I can't for the life of me navigate around on a PC let alone even contemplate building one. I have to help my mother out on occasion with her PC (way too many old-lady emails and viruses) and I usually just end up yanking the plug. Fortunately for me, a Mac just kind of does what it is supposed to do but I'm screwed if something doesn't work (knocks on wood).

RERM
08-20-04, 08:40 PM
I used to be a PC person, then I bought two IBooks, a 12 inch (for my mom) and a 14 inch for myself. It has been a truly awesome experience, everything works like its supposed to, I have a wireless network (Air Port) at home, and in a couple of weeks I will be purchasing an IPod and Air Port Express. My only regret is not having bought the 12 inch for myself (I've come to realize that laptops screen is plenty big for surfing the web and the occasional game). :2thumbs: :woohoo: :yeah:

daacon
08-20-04, 08:49 PM
Good mix - albiet mostly windoze relfects the real world (bro in law has the new dual processor G5 Mac ??? sweet machine , fast and quiet !!!)

Laptop - Dell Latitude C800 -PIII 850 512Ram 20gig HD , work horse - almost 4 years old - want to replace it , but it keeps on ticking, (XP-PRO) upgrade ram and CD-RW

Desktop 1 - PIII 1.7 , 512ram , 120gb/40gb HD , Nvidia Geforce2 (low end) - started life as an PII 850 - replaced evernthign expect case and mother board. This is my daily beast (xp-pro)

Desktop 2 (Kids) - Gateway (bought at Costco) 2.4ghz 1gig Ram , 80 gb hd, some Nvidea 128mb card (mid range) (xp-pro) - upgraded Ram put in DVD burner

Maxtor 40gb one touch usb / firewire external backup (sweet - of course now they haqve 120gb versions !!!)

All linked with Linksys WAP BEFW11S4 (802.11B)

Wants (new laptop / desktop and 802.11g home) and a Mac and Linux server (will likley get the later)

slk230mb
08-20-04, 09:15 PM
My computer, I built it
P4 2.6, gig of ram, 2 HDDs(120 and 80). Sony DVD+-RW burner and DVD player. ATI Radeon 9700 Pro 128mb, ATI Pro TV Tuner, SB Live! 5.1, XP Pro

The laptop:
Compaq Evo N610C
P4 2.0 512mb, 40 gigs, and DVD/CDRW, wifi and XP Pro.

The house computer:
Dell XPS T600
P3 600mhz, 640mb, 30 gigs, XP Pro, serves it purpose well

The sisters old college computer: (currently waiting to become my FTP server with server 2k)
Dell XPS T866
P3 866mhx, 128mb (going to at least 512), 40 gigs, packaged with Windows ME, currently running Windows 2000.

At work:
Dell Optiplex GX240
P4 1.8, 512mb, 40 gigs, connected to a Windows 2000 domain with over 1600 computers and 25 remote sites all over the 5 Boroughs and Long Island connected via I2000's network. Every computer in the domain is either a Dell (purchased via a state contract w/considerable savings) or an IBM (for use by social workers who deal with kids assigned from the state). BTW its a children's care agency.

sgilbert
08-20-04, 09:28 PM
Well, I'll try to even the field here somewhat.

I run a 15" Mac Titanium 1Gig, 1Gig Ram, 60 Gig HD. I run OS 9.2.2 and OSX 10.3.5 both off Comcast HS Cable thru Linksys router (ethernet) and/or Apple Airport (wireless).

This is my 6th Mac starting back in the Apple IIc days.

illumina
08-21-04, 02:27 AM
sounds like you folks have some pretty good rigs going there. here are all of mine:

rig 1:
custom biostar motherboard, amd xp 2400+ @ 2 gig cpu.
1024 mb dual channel ddr sdram, samsung.
80 gig hdd @ 7200 rpm, western digital.
nividia geforce 5200 128 mb video card.
dvd-rw cdrom, samsung.
cdrw cdrom 48x, samsung.
nice pretty case with a bunch of lights.
windows xp home.

rig 2:
dell optiplex gx 100 w/pent 2 @ 433 mgh cpu.
320 mb dimms, samsung.
12 gig hdd, maxtor.
cdrw cdrom, generic.
no special video shit.
mandrake linux 8.2.

rig 3:
compaq presario 1277 laptop w/pent 2 @ 433 mgh cpu.
192 mb ram, hyundai.
5 gig hdd, whatever came with it.
cr-rom, not functional.
no special video shit.
windows 2000 pro.

rig 4:
packard bell multimedia s606 w/pent 233 mgh w/mmx cpu.
128 mb edo-dimm ram, crucial.
8 gig hdd, western digital.
dvd-rw cdrom, samsung.
no special video shit.
windows 2000 pro.

rig 5:
microsys w/pent 233 mgh w/mmx cpu.
48 mb edo-simm ram, compaq. :helpless:
8 gig hdd, western digital.
cd-rom, generic
nvidia 32 mb video card.
windows 98 se.

there are 3 others, but they are old and just run my favorite OS of all time...windows 3.1 :D one however has windows 95 on it.

RKunz2
08-21-04, 03:53 AM
Hmmm, interesting discussion for a Cadillac forum, but I'll give it a shot.

I have several "main" computers, both home and business. I definitely believe mo' bigger is better! Example, my file server at the office is MS 2003 Server SMB, Intel box, with P4 3.06 HT running 800 FSB and 1GB DDR, running twin 10,000 72GB drives with 8MB caching. Not SCSI, but the new ATA's that come very close to SCSI performance.

My old standby desktop for home is not all that special anymore, but has good hardware in it, like an ASUS M/B.

My most used (and probably favorite, I'm actually on it now) is my laptop, which is used everywhere; home, business desktop replacement, traveling, presentation, etc. It's an HP nx9010, here's how it lays out;

Mobile Intel P4 3.06 533Mhz 512MB L2 Cache
MS Windows XP Pro SP1 (soon to be SP2)
1GB 333Mhz DDR SDRAM
40GB 4,200 SMART HD
Radeon IGP 345M 64MB Video (shared architecture is the only weak link)
15" TFT XGA Active Matrix LCD Display
Sound card not too special, but JBL Pro is nice
Sony 24X DVD/CDRW (fixed)
Integrated 802.11/g Wireless
and a ton more...

Not a bad unit, when you consider price vs. option level value. It's a full blown business notebook, so it's built a little sturdier than the run of the mill personal notebook you'll find at Best Buy. Example is it runs 2 cooling fans instead of 1 to keep the thermal gremlins at bay. Benchmarking according to PC World is slightly above average, but not stellar by any stretch, mostly due to the shared video memory architechure. But, it's still not bad, I game a little bit on it, Tom Clancy Rainbow Six 3 - Raven Shield, and it does just fine. Of course, I've got a boatload of memory and a fast processor too, which never hurts.

So, that's what it is. If anyone is looking for a good notebook without dropping a huge bank roll on it, I would (and have) recommend this machine. It's my second (first one lost to a failed partnership) and I even recommended one just like this one to my brother, whose previous 1 yr. old Compaq Pavillion notebook kept dying because it just couldn't take the useage.

Take care all!

gothicaleigh
08-21-04, 04:11 AM
VAIO MXS series desktop
WinXP P4 2.4Ghz w/ 1024mb RAM
ATI Radeon 9800 PRO 256mb

Panasonic Toughbook Laptop
Win2000 PIII 1Ghz w/192mb RAM
ATI Radeon Mobility

Sony Clie NX80V handheld
PalmOS 5 200Mhz

Those are the ones at home that I use the most...

T_Dogg8
08-23-04, 08:44 AM
Well, I'll try to even the field here somewhat.

I run a 15" Mac Titanium 1Gig, 1Gig Ram, 60 Gig HD. I run OS 9.2.2 and OSX 10.3.5 both off Comcast HS Cable thru Linksys router (ethernet) and/or Apple Airport (wireless).

This is my 6th Mac starting back in the Apple IIc days.
i learned on an apple IIc and even taught my teachers in elementary school how to use it.

Playdrv4me
08-24-04, 05:00 AM
I work with computers all day. I learned along time ago that even though I am a Mac lover, and an avid PC user, a computer is the LAST thing I want to deal with when I get home.

So for almost a year and a half my only form of home computing has been a laptop connected via a wireless Linksys card to my router and Time Warner cable connection (this is absolutely necessary regardless).

Currently. Its a 1ghz Toshiba with a 14 inch display. I think its a Celeron with a 15gb hard drive, though I mostly dont care as long as I can use Kazaa, visit forums, and chat, and it handles that like a dream.

My previous PC was a work provided IBM ThinkPad T23, one of the most durable laptops Ive ever used, right up there with the Panasonic Toughbook series.

1 computer is enough for me, id rather put the rest of my money toward my car and Home theater. I love PDA's, but I find them quite useless in the daily grind. A better alternative for me is a PDA Cellphone, something that your forced to carry with you, and thats really the key, if it HAS to come with me, then Ill take it, if it doesnt ill eventually tire of it and quit using it. Im eyeing a Samsung SPH-I500 currently as it is one of the few useful ones compatible with Sprint small enough to be worth it.

GodduCaddy97
08-24-04, 12:54 PM
MAC 1.25 GHz G4
1 MB L3 cache
1.75 gig of ram
with a 20" monitor

Sandy
08-24-04, 04:39 PM
1992 Apple Dial Up 8" Monitor

daacon
08-24-04, 07:09 PM
1992 Apple Dial Up 8" Monitor
Garl Dawng a 1992 - That is amazing ....good for you !!! I am sure it does what you need it to ....that puppy don't owe ya a cent :cool:

I am not sure I have any peice of electronic equipment left from 1992 - maybe a radio burried somewhere ......(even my 1992 Deville I put in a new CD player ahahahahah), then again that is of my weak spots....

JohnnyO
08-27-04, 02:01 PM
A beige one. It has a neat cupholder that pops out from near the top. :D

daacon
08-27-04, 04:05 PM
A beige one. It has a neat cupholder that pops out from near the top. :D

Awsome :) - most of mine have two cup holders , although they are right below each other and you can't really use them both at the same time - terrible engineering if ya ask me. (I use them for fault tolerenace in case I break one)

Pimpin_Whity
08-27-04, 06:39 PM
i got an Alienware computer just more than a year ago.
the specs are:
intel D875PBZ mother board
intel p4 2.8Ghz 800Mhz bus
1gig dual channel ddr ram
ATI radeon 9800pro 256meg
sound blaster audigy 2 5.1
80gig seagate 7200rpm sata hd
250gig maxtor 7200rpm sata hd
apple 23" cinema display

Sandy
08-27-04, 09:59 PM
HEY!
Mine has the same two cupholders and more. When you first turn it on, it makes Popcorn, but I dunno where to get the popcorn out from. I hear it making, but there ain;t no shoot for it to come outta :rant2: On the top of it, there are little holes where I pour in the melted butter.
It says on the front "APPLE" ~ but it don't yeld ya no apples :helpless:

My Son's has a emblem on the front that says Intel Inside, but we both tried and we can't get it out :banghead: His must be some kinda Farm model, as it's got stuff on it looking like a cow, all little black & white squares.

My wife has her own (she don't like to share). Hers is a small one, not a desk top ~ It's a Flap-Top or sumpim' - It's a dell. I dont like that kind. They don't make no popcorn!! ;)

Pimpin_Whity
08-27-04, 10:09 PM
My Son's has a emblem on the front that says Intel Inside, but we both tried and we can't get it out :banghead:

:drinker :histeric:

abcdefg
08-30-04, 04:45 PM
I have a typical system from 1999, assembled in 2002.

MSI-6167 motherboard
Amd Athlon K7 500mhz, 100mhz FSB 512K L2 cache
128mb PC100 + 64mb PC100
1992 SB16 with 4W onboard amplifier (ISA)
GeForce 2 ultra, 64mb ram, 360mhz cpu ram O/C'ed to 500mhz
Quantam fireball 4.3gb hard drive
12.3GB hard drive (occasionally clacks and stops working)
OEM AiTech wavewatcher tv tuner
Etherlink III PNP isa ethernet interface
Lite-On 52x CDRW IDE
16x DVD-ROM
240W gateway PSU
Scanport SQ4800 scanner (4800DPI)

all totaling to about 160$

This computer is like a toyota, it just wont die. A screw fell on a chip and was making some impressive sparks, burnt a 256mb PC100 stick, and this computer still keeps going despite some "page fault in none page area" messages. Ive also had the Geforce ultra fan melt or something, and run Warcraft III for quite some time without a fan. This cheap computer can can leave a PIII 1000mhz in the dust when playing Vice city.

Sandy
08-30-04, 07:48 PM
"This computer is like a Toyota......" {this on a Caddy board?} Ummmm, wonder if on the Toyota board they say, "My computer is the Cadillac of computers" ~ ~ :coolgleam

rollincatera
09-09-04, 12:41 AM
picture of my home system:

http://www.99vs1.net/extra/jon/DSC00218.JPG

specs:

desktop:

amd 3200 64 fx
1gb pc3200 ddr
2x 160gb 8mb cache hard drives
16x dvd burner - 4x double layer burn
ati 9600 128mb graphics
2x 19" envision lcd's mounted to the wall