: Need help: go or nogo (buying decision)

BlackBox
03-22-10, 05:26 AM
Hello,

first of all, this is my first post here (hopefully not my last ;) ) so I want to introduce me: My name is Thorsten and I'm living in Munich / Germany. We (my wife and myself) are currently looking to replace our now already 11 years old BMW 316 (E46).
Last saturday we found a car which we both like and both can drive: the Cadillac BLS Wagon with the 2.0 Biofuel engine. As said already it seams to be a perfect car for us.

Unfortunately we have second thoughts with the car. Due to the fact that this one is a rare car, are there problems with spare parts? Ok, we know, that most of the parts are the same as in the Saab 9.3 or Opel / Vauxhall. However not the bodyparts or headlights or rear lights. Are they hard to get?

Than there is this "thing" with the warranty. If called two dealer in Munich, one of them said, no problem at all, the other said that it might be a problem due to the hole story of this car together with the Kroymans story and it could be possible, that there might be no warranty.

The car could be perfect for us, if it is a car with less problems as our BMW had in the 11 years (only standard maintenance, a water pump and of course the normal parts like breaks etc but nothing special except the main gasket of the engine [forgot the english name, sorry] with loosing oil and water).

Kan you help to find us a decision to go or not to go with the Cadillac BLS?

Thanks a lot

Thorsten

ExRPO1
03-22-10, 06:18 AM
Thorsten, hi,
I have only just joined this forum myself as I only bought my own Cadillac BLSD two weeks ago.
Firstly, please don't allow anything I write influence your final decision, as the points I express are a personal view only.
I think if you are looking to buy one of these vehicles, you are preparing to take an informed risk about the rarity of the vehicles themselves, the very small number of dealers and the likely difficulties involved in obtaining a small number of parts if things go wrong. I understand your concerns involving headlights, rear light clusters and the like. As far as my own model is concerned, I am prepared for the first three years to go to Birmingham for its annual service, so long as the dealer there remains a Cadillac agent, otherwise, its off to my local SAAB dealer. I'm unsure about the particular model of BLS Wagon you are looking to purchase, I've not really delved too much into the bio fuel thing. I think you have to weigh up the whole cost involved thing in the long term. I've just paid GBP 14995 for my vehicle, which is an astonishingly low price for a luxury sedan. It has everything I want in a car. The eleven speaker Bose entertainment system is utterly brilliant. I spend a lot of time on the motorway (Autobahn) and it is perfect for the amount of cruising I do. Prior to buying, I read some real horror stories from the British motoring press concerning this vehicle. The conclusion I came to, is that certain elements of the motoring press wanted this car to fail. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the ride, steering or overall feel of the car. I have driven hundreds of different vehicles and whilst this doesn't necessarily come out on top, it is by far one of the most interesting and good looking vehicles I have owned. Also, I am now glad to be part of a very exclusive club. I believe only about 7350 of these vehicles were made. If I keep it, maybe (one day) it could be a very sought after classic!
In summary, only you can make the decision. If you do buy, I hope you enjoy your purchase as much as I enjoy mine.:)

S70RMP
03-22-10, 02:22 PM
Hi

If you can get the car for a good price take it.

It's a Saab/Vauxhall so parts will be easy to get.

if you need body parts 99% of the time the insurance company will need to deal with that.

70eldo
03-26-10, 10:29 AM
There shouldn't be a problem with warranty, as long as the the car is within its 3 years and 100K km. That has been cleared shortly after the Kroymans debacle.
I drove all the versions of the BLS: 2.8T, 2.0T, and 1.9TD; MT and AT, except for the wagon and I loved the ride, the power and the finish.
GM is oblidged to offer all spare parts for the next 10 years after the last production date, so there shouldn't be a problem there either.

If I can get a BLS for a good price, I will seriously consider one for my GF!

Oh, and welcome to the site!
Any questions: I am in Germany too!

BlackBox
03-26-10, 01:48 PM
Hi (and a special "Moin" [a northern germany hello] to 70eldo),

ok, tomorrow we'll pick up our new car.

Mostly helpful was one of my friends, because a his a SAAB fan and enthusiast. He told me about his visit in Trollhättan where he saw the BLS between the 9.3 in the factory.

New for me is:

GM is oblidged to offer all spare parts for the next 10 years after the last production date

Is that realy true? Do you have some more infos?

if you need body parts 99% of the time the insurance company will need to deal with that

Hmm, can't realy say so. What about the smal things which are better for your money you pay by yourself instead of going up in the insurance?

Never the less, I just want to say thanks :)

BlackBox

70eldo
03-29-10, 06:54 AM
Hi (and a special "Moin" [a northern germany hello] to 70eldo),

ok, tomorrow we'll pick up our new car.

Mostly helpful was one of my friends, because a his a SAAB fan and enthusiast. He told me about his visit in Trollhättan where he saw the BLS between the 9.3 in the factory.

New for me is:

Is that realy true? Do you have some more infos?

Hmm, can't realy say so. What about the smal things which are better for your money you pay by yourself instead of going up in the insurance?

Never the less, I just want to say thanks :)

BlackBox

Moin moin!
Where are you in Germany anyway?

Welcome to the club! :highfive:

S70RMP
03-29-10, 07:15 AM
We need to see some pictures asap

BlackBox
03-29-10, 01:40 PM
Moin moin!
Where are you in Germany anyway?

Welcome to the club! :highfive:

Moin,

actually my hometown is München.

If you'll ask now: why "moin" that is easy: my roots are up in the north....some call it already "south of denmark" :devil: The city where I grow up is famous for its sail event: the Kiel Week / Kieler Woche one of the biggest sail events.

I still like the moin and I'm still using it in Bavaria.

SO where is you home located?

Regards

BlackBox

Pictures? Puhh, last week we had beautiful weather but since Saturday.... some guys are talking about snow @ easter! As soon it is ok, I'll post some.

70eldo
04-01-10, 10:34 AM
Moin,

actually my hometown is München.

If you'll ask now: why "moin" that is easy: my roots are up in the north....some call it already "south of denmark" :devil: The city where I grow up is famous for its sail event: the Kiel Week / Kieler Woche one of the biggest sail events.

I still like the moin and I'm still using it in Bavaria.

SO where is you home located?

Regards

BlackBox

Pictures? Puhh, last week we had beautiful weather but since Saturday.... some guys are talking about snow @ easter! As soon it is ok, I'll post some.

Up to Hamburg used to be Danish at some time ;). I still need to go see Kiel. I like sailing and sailing boats!
I am in Hamburg, south of the Elbe though.

Indeed: today we had April snow with occasional sun.