: top 10 low pass flybys

25lighters
03-21-10, 09:59 PM
YouTube- Top 10 Low Pass Flyby's of All Time
:hide:

Rolex
03-21-10, 10:17 PM
I'll bet even money that the guy in #3 makes a metallic clanking sound when he walks. :pwn:

Submariner409
03-21-10, 11:52 PM
The first Blue Angel cut - the F15 rapid pullup over water - is from commencement week at USNA - great show every year. The second - the water vapor halo - is at the show in SF Bay.

You oughtta ride an aircraft carrier for a while - interesting to say the least.

orconn
03-22-10, 12:00 AM
Number 3 brought back memories of the scene from the movie "Catch 22"! I remember the guys flying Phantoms doing their low level "farewell rolls" over our operations building in Phu Bai, South Vietnam ... I think the big kick for them was cutting in their afterburners just after they started their climb over our building. I don't think they knew they were buzzing the main intelligence base in I Corp, rather they were just jealous of our swimming pool!

dkozloski
03-22-10, 12:36 AM
The "Sonic Boom" episode on Mythbusters deserves at least an honorable mention.

YouTube- Mythbusters Sonic Boom Sound Off

Aron9000
03-22-10, 12:50 AM
^That's one of the best myths they've ever done . . .

Also, was that guy in #1 flying at supersonic speeds? I've seen that phenomoenon in pictures, I think at those speeds the ambient moisture in the air condenses into a cloud.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5f/Supersonic_aircraft_breaking_sound_barrier.jpg

GizmoQ
03-22-10, 01:26 AM
C'mon guys. If you're gonna do it, do it like a Cadillac would...

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/images/AIR_B-1B_Extreme_Low_lg.jpg

Submariner409
03-22-10, 10:32 AM
You mean sonic clouds like these ????

Click to enlarge (rather than fill an entire column)............

dkozloski
03-22-10, 11:03 AM
The water vapor indicates that these are transonic aircraft with part of the airflow supersonic and part subsonic. The edge of the vapor delineates the change.

tati25
03-22-10, 11:40 AM
Nr. 1 was mind blowing and the photos are so cool. Loved the thread.

orconn
03-22-10, 12:00 PM
Gizmo's photo is really fantastic! I had never seen it before, thanks for posting it!

CIWS
03-22-10, 12:23 PM
Gizmo's photo is really fantastic! I had never seen it before, thanks for posting it!

That's not a photo, that's a print from a painting called "Power" by Dru Blair.

http://www.drublair.com/

LS1Mike
03-22-10, 12:56 PM
The Video is awesome!!
YouTube- World's Windiest Airport
Since we are talking Jets/Planes. I like this one.

Rolex
03-22-10, 07:03 PM
The Video is awesome!!
YouTube- World's Windiest Airport (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h966cxQyjvc)
Since we are talking Jets/Planes. I like this one.

I HATE landing in a tail wind. I had a landing in Memphis about a year ago that made me pucker up like a snare drum. The plane was swaying left to right so badly I was certain one of the wings would strike the runway before the wheels. THe plane felt like it was flying sideways above the runway.

When we landed the firefighters had just put out a FedEx jet that crashed in those winds and burst into flames. :bonkers:

orconn
03-22-10, 07:48 PM
I ahd a similar xperience with landing with extremely high cross winds. After being delayed for three days and enduring intermittant mortar fire at Ton Son Nut air field in South Vietnam, my Saturn Airways 707 contract flight that was to take me home after 8 months in Vietnam in 1969 (had been there since the summer of '68). The plane had been delayed due to a very heavy sonw storm that immobilized Yakota Air Base outside Tokyo. We finally got on the Saturn flight and after several hours landed at Yakota where we had to run 100 or more yards through sub freezing temperatures in our jungle fatiques to a terminal to wait while the plane was beining serviced. After cold run back to the aircraft and boarding we took off for our next stop Anchorage, Alaska. We had a very bumpy and squirrely approach to the runway with the plane yawing, when we were just about to touch, in fact one wing landing gear wheel was already on the ground the whole planelifted to the contact side. From where I was sitting I could see the wing tip was only a few feet from the run way and the outboard engine pod was also coming very close to striking the grounds. Fortunately the pilot was able to correct and got the plane on the gound with only one blown tire. Afterwards the pilot said that if he had known the crosswinds were as badas they were he never would have attempted the landing. After the plane was on the ground and parked we were treated to another long run (and Belive me we ran) into the terminal again in very cold temperatures. The next hop to McCord AFB outside Seattle was uneventful. From there to L.A. via scheduled commercial flight was a relatively short hop. Saigon to Pasadena, CA in less than 24 hours! The next morning I got to see and drive my Lamborghiini 350 Gt for the first time in the United States! Thirty days leave and it was back to fighting the Cold War from an ASA field station in Northern Japan.

EcSTSatic
03-23-10, 09:49 AM
I am one of a few non-com Marines to get the opportunities to launch and land with a carrier's catapult and arresting gear on different occasions. Those were days I'll never forget. I've also been helo'd off the deck on deployment missions. Pretty cool stuff for a teenager/20yr old!

dkozloski
03-23-10, 12:31 PM
Carrier catapult and helo ops are indeed fun. I was so happy to be heading home I didn't care if they were going to hoist me off the DDG by my neck.

Helicopters have too many moving parts.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-23-10, 07:09 PM
Top 10 low pass flybys? I thought we were talking about Jesda's latest trips to the all-you-can-eat buffets! :lol:

Stingroo
03-23-10, 07:11 PM
Top 10 low pass flybys? I thought we were talking about Jesda's latest trips to the all-you-can-eat buffets! :lol:

:histeric: So wrong, but so funny.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-23-10, 07:13 PM
There was that one epic time, at that Old Country Buffet in Kansas City in June of '04. He hit them so hard they had to close up shop for three months.