: Just did some touch ups...

Skiller.
03-21-10, 01:33 PM
I had a few minor dings in my car, so I covered the black with an Olympic White, allowed it to dry, then I went over it with Pearl White (WA 8933) from the dealership. I allowed that to dry overnight, but it dried darker than the rest of the car :confused:

Is there any way to lighten it up. I already wet sanded it and buffed it with polishing compound afterward, but it's still darker when you look at it from a certain angle.

Flash man
03-21-10, 05:59 PM
Hi,

Man that looks bad.What did you use to fill in the ding. Touch up paint? When you applied the touch up paint was it an exact match before you wet sanded and polished it? Has your car ever been repainted?

Joe Flash man

Skiller.
03-21-10, 06:33 PM
I sanded that off and tried something else, and now it's too light :(

I added some white to the Pearl White I got from the dealership to lighten it up, but I guess I added too much. Will this touch up paint dry darker?

Skiller.
03-21-10, 06:55 PM
I found out that I was doing it all wrong. Since it's tricoat, I need to apply the basecoat, the midcoat, then the clearcoat.

Skiller.
03-21-10, 09:09 PM
I bought what I needed from automotivetouchup.com. I bought a 1/2 oz bottle of primer, basecoat, midcoat, and clearcoat. Hopefully I can make it look MUCH better than that.

Flash man
03-22-10, 10:55 PM
Hi Skiller,

Usually, touch up paint would be a single stage paint. I never heard of applying primer, base coat, then clear coat unless you are spraying the car. How large of an area are you touching up? Do you have a local Auto Body paint supply store that can match the color? They will usually make you up a pint. Are you sure your car has not been repainted?

Joe Flash man

Skiller.
03-23-10, 10:46 AM
Yes I'm sure.

I'm just touching up that small area on the front driver side area above the headlight. Both online sites I went to for touch up paint said I have to order a basecoat bottle, a midcoat bottle, and a clearcoat bottle because it's a tri-color. I'm only using the primer to cover up black spots.

Flash man
03-23-10, 08:22 PM
Well Then make sure you put a few coats of clear on it. You can wet sand with 1000 grit wet sand paper, then work your way up to 2000.You will then need to compound the wet sand scratches out then polish it out. I hope it matches for you. Keep us posted.

Joe Flash man

Skiller.
03-24-10, 05:30 PM
Thanks Flash. I will apply the primer, wet sand, then apply the basecoat. Before I apply the midcoat and the clearcoat, I'm going to practice on something because I want to blend it perfectly!

Flash man
03-27-10, 10:36 AM
Hi Skiller,

I spoke to my friend Anthony yesterday. He is a paint and bodyman. He told me that the pearl touch up paint that you buy will not be sufficient for touch up. It will turn silver or gray when you apply it. The reason for this is because they can not put the correct pearl dust in the touch up paint. You need to go to a place like Sherwin Williams or a body and paint supply shop. They will give you the correct pearl touch up paint for your car. You can but a pint for your car. This is the only way to get pearl paint to match for scratches and chips. Good Luck.

Joe Flash man

Skiller.
03-28-10, 03:02 PM
Good to know!!

Thanks a lot