: Need some help with the Regal, power window motor??

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-20-10, 09:51 AM
So last night, me and three friends went out for a night on the town. After I dropped two of them off, I heard what sounded like someone throwing a snowball at the car, and the noise was coming from the LR door. Well nobody threw anything at the car, but I noticed when I got back onto the highway that there was a lot of wind noise from the LR door....the power window was down about 2 inches and it won't move at all, but I can manually get out and slide the window up or down with my hands, as there's no resistance at all, but there's nothing holding it tight against the window frame either. So when I got home, I got out the duct tape and taped the window up as best I could.

I wonder what caused this....any ideas? Faulty regulator? Faulty motor? Fall off the tracks? I usually don't open the rear windows at all, but they opened them a few times last night.

FrankT
03-20-10, 11:24 AM
Sounds like the window regulator cable snapped. You probably need a new window regulator. If you’re so inclined, take the door panel off and inspect the regulator, the fault should be obvious.

LS1Mike
03-20-10, 12:48 PM
Sounds like a Regulator Chad. It should be cheap and is standard GM fair, so easy to swap out.

eldorado99
03-20-10, 02:16 PM
Yup, regulator. Regals and GTPs are famous for having them blow up time and time again. I've been lucky so far but expect to have to replace one soon.

ben.gators
03-20-10, 04:01 PM
Chad are you a member of regalgs.org too?
It is a forum for Regal, as good as our cadi forum, and you can find good regal owners there too. I was a member there, when I had my Regal.

ryannel2003
03-20-10, 04:40 PM
Sounds like the regulator to me also. I see quite a few Buick's and Pontiac's running around town with duct tape on the windows as well. Shouldn't be too expensive of a fix, but then again I'm not familiar with Buick's.

orconn
03-20-10, 04:56 PM
I am sure it will be alot cheaper than buying a new window regulator for an Audi 5000S, new $500 or junk yard $300 (1980's prices) labor to install was additional! During the seven years I owned the car I replaced 6 six of the window regulators and motors (both came as one piece and couldn't be replaced separately). With all the experience GM has had with power windows I am sure that the fix will be alot cheaper than the Audi, even in 2010 dollars! Good luck getting it repaired .... and thank your lucky stars it didn't happen with the Mercedes!