: scratches in windows

07caddyesv
03-19-10, 09:28 PM
Does anyone have a good idea or solution to get scratches out of my front/side windows, it looks like it was caused by pebbles/dirt in the window track.

itsrixter
03-20-10, 12:32 AM
my front passenger windows had perfectly straight (up and down) scratches. I had he dealer check, they pull the door panel and claimed nothing was in the way interfering with the window to cause it. If others have this issue also, please chime in

07caddyesv
03-20-10, 09:43 AM
I have a bunch of scratches on both the front and back windows, I have yet taken it back to the dealership, ( I just bought this a month ago - used) I priced out all 4 windows to be replaced ($1500) hopefully the dealership will help me.

owyz1
03-22-10, 04:12 AM
my front passenger windows had perfectly straight (up and down) scratches. I had he dealer check, they pull the door panel and claimed nothing was in the way interfering with the window to cause it. If others have this issue also, please chime in
I have scratches like that?? Always wondered where they came from....

Zhariak
03-22-10, 09:56 AM
Same issue here.

When I first got my vehicle, even without any real KMs on it, for some reason the tracks would scratch the drivers side glass. It eventually stopped (since I wash my vehicle every 2nd day! lol).

One thing that gets me, is the pukish colored stuff that goes on the back windows when I open/close them...

hcvone
03-22-10, 10:11 AM
I have my windows aftermarket tinted and have no scratching issues, they on the inside or outside of the glass?

TSS
03-24-10, 10:12 AM
I heard, never tried, that 0000 steel wool with window cleaner can get rid of glass exterior scratches. You might need to go to a local hardware store for quadruple zero wool. AGAIN: I have not tried this and cannot endorse it. But if you GOOGLE it, you can get more info. Or, go to the NAIOA (North American Impala Owners Association) site and look for a sticky under the car care section. This is where I first read about the do it yourself process.

hcvone
03-24-10, 10:29 AM
I have used 0000 steel wool many times on glass, it will NOT scratch the glass, never removed any scratches with it, but it is a great glass cleaner, and give you polishing action when used with a abrasive glass cleaner.

TSS
03-24-10, 01:08 PM
I have used 0000 steel wool many times on glass, it will NOT scratch the glass, never removed any scratches with it, but it is a great glass cleaner, and give you polishing action when used with a abrasive glass cleaner.

Do you use it with Stoner's Invisible Glass? I might try it on the SLS windshield exterior.

hcvone
03-24-10, 01:53 PM
Hi Todd, I have found with IG a cheap rough microfiber works the best, with steel wool I use Z-12 Glass Polish or the product called Glass Polish that you can get in some hardware stores, they are abrasive products. It would not hurt to use IG with steel wool, just not sure how much it would help. :)

TSS
03-24-10, 02:19 PM
Gotcha. The windshield just does not look as clear as a new windshield. Not a big deal, but I will give the 0000 and IG a shot first, and then move on from there. As always, thanks for all your detailing advice Carl.