: Hell has froze over! Bought a Northstar powered car and may keep it!

Destroyer
03-19-10, 09:16 PM
Well after having sworn off N* powered cars due to the overwhelming amount of H/G problems and my personal experience with my '98 Deville and the dreaded H/G issue (amongst others), I bought another one! This one is a '99 Eldorado (don't think it's a ETC). Snagged this one for $700 (yes, seven hundred). When I was told about this car, it was described as "mint", well aside from some poorly repainted panels on the outside the description was pretty accurate, I was expecting much worse.

A friend of mine is moving out of the country and just wanted this car and many others gone. I figured I'd have my guys at my shop strip it, part it out and then scrap it. So anyway, my friend picked me up and drove me to the car which is about 40 miles from my shop. I was buying it sight unseen and regardless of condition so I was very surprised to see that it looked very decent when we arrived where it was parked. Paint shined ok for sitting parked for over a year, interior was pretty darn near mint. Battery was dead from sitting so we jumped started and it fired right up. Initially there was a bit of valve clatter but that went away after a few minutes. It was running great which surprised me as well. I figured it could have bad gas and who knows what else.

Well now it was time to drive it to my shop. I was a bit nervous cause this car had not budged in over a year. I payed the $700 and was on my way. So I'm driving and keeping a close eye on the temperature gauge and the battery voltage, both were fine but I was still nervous (after all it's a $700 N* car). After 10 miles or so I was getting a bit more comfortable, the temp gauge only went a little past the half way mark. I got stuck in stop and go traffic on the expressway, car did great. When traffic cleared I was feeling real comfortable so I decided to punch it to see if it would run hot, it didn't. Accelerated from 30 to 100, full throttle and no problems at all. Turned the A/C on and it was ice cold (bonus). This with gas that was at least a year old in the tank. Made the 40 mile trip with no issues. Ran great, suspension felt great, quiet inside, no squeaks rattles or anything.

Looks like it was a good buy and it doesn't seem like this one has H/G issues (yet). I've decided to keep it and not part it out until it has a major issue. This car has been through an accident or 2 and the paint where it was redone is not a good match (pearl white is tough) but that is minor. It drives absolutely perfect. For $700 I'm not risking much, who knows, I may have better luck with this one. Here are some pictures. This is how it looked when I picked it up today after sitting for over a year. It is very dirty on the outside but the interior is very clean. It should shine up nice when I detail it.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/P3190046.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/P3190047.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/P3190048.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/P3190049.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/P3190050.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/P3190051.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/P3190052.jpg

VEGASELDO91
03-19-10, 10:02 PM
That looks very nice, I hope you have many trouble free miles!!

concorso
03-19-10, 10:03 PM
Im blown away by what you can buy for a grand in the very warm climates like Florida. Cars run forever in the warmer climates. In Canada, a $1000 Cadillac would have more rust holes then cylinders, and its color would be a mix or browns, oranges, blacks and throwup...inside or out. And it certainly wouldnt be running...all of this, with half the miles. :)

eaucoin
03-19-10, 11:17 PM
Looks like a deal! My 1996 gets consistent 20 MPG w/ 116,000 mi on it. Smoothest running car I've owned. Drive it 'til the wheels fall off. Paid a lot more for mine!

Skiller.
03-19-10, 11:35 PM
Looks like a steal for $700. I paid $3200 for my '97 with 96k. How many miles?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-20-10, 12:37 AM
Very nice! It's a (very) base model Eldorado, but still, one hell of a great deal for $700!

orconn
03-20-10, 12:43 AM
Looks like the Cadillac fairy paid you a visit! I hope the headgasket karma monkey has lost your address! Good luck and enjoy the good points of the Northstar!

Rocket88
03-20-10, 12:50 AM
Knew you'd come around. :D

GizmoQ
03-20-10, 01:04 AM
Great deal for you and us. Maybe soon you'll be bragging about Caddies again.

RightTurn
03-20-10, 01:38 AM
:lies:

Aron9000
03-20-10, 01:48 AM
That was the buy of the century for $700. Even if you only get 10 or 20k miles before something stupid happens, you still got your monies worth.

kjasey
03-20-10, 01:53 AM
Nice car...thats a steal. Im sure you know this but check under the oil cap to see if there's any white residue. I know from experience and had Jake fix mine. :thumbsup:

77CDV
03-20-10, 02:05 AM
Looks good! For $700, you really can't go wrong.

Kick94sts
03-20-10, 03:08 AM
I almost bought one just like that (but I think it was an ETC) for $3900! But I couldn't bring myself to do it lol

gdwriter
03-20-10, 05:09 AM
Damn, that's a smoking (but not oil burning) deal for $700. How many miles on it? Enjoy!

Jesda
03-20-10, 06:47 AM
Brrrrrr

Destroyer
03-20-10, 08:40 AM
Looks like a steal for $700. I paid $3200 for my '97 with 96k. How many miles?

It has 105k miles.

ejguillot
03-20-10, 09:49 AM
Welcome back to the Northstar club! Hope this one treats you right. :thumbsup:

And now we know why it's been so cold around here lately too! :p

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-20-10, 09:53 AM
Did you buy that yesterday? The only reason I ask is because it was 67* here on Thursday, and the high on Friday was 39*!!!!

greencadillacmatt
03-20-10, 12:22 PM
^ I was wondering the same thing. Friday here it was 65* and now it's 33*!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-20-10, 12:45 PM
From Sunday-Tuesday, it's supposed to be in the mid 50's and sunny.

Ranger
03-20-10, 12:57 PM
Oh God, please let those head gaskets hold.

dkozloski
03-20-10, 01:53 PM
Hey Destroyer, I'm sending you a raven to eat. We don't have crows around here.

You have done a noble thing by showing that even somebody as committed to hating Northstars as you can see the error of their ways. Was it a twelve step program that did it for you?

hueterm
03-20-10, 01:55 PM
Was someone murdered in it, or was it used as a drug mule, or something? I paid $700 for my driver's door panel....

gdwriter
03-20-10, 04:09 PM
Oh God, please let those head gaskets hold.:yeah: :histeric:

We've got one of our own up there now, so I'm sure JD will put in a good word for Destroyer and the Eldorado.

Destroyer
03-20-10, 11:05 PM
You have done a noble thing by showing that even somebody as committed to hating Northstars as you can see the error of their ways. Was it a twelve step program that did it for you?I wouldn't say that. How could I turn it down for the price?:cool2:

Destroyer
03-20-10, 11:08 PM
Was someone murdered in it, or was it used as a drug mule, or something? I paid $700 for my driver's door panel....$700 for a door panel????? Car was involved in an accident at one time and has a rebuilt title.

Destroyer
03-21-10, 12:59 AM
Great deal for you and us. Maybe soon you'll be bragging about Caddies again.
I have to admit that I enjoy driving it and like the looks. I spend most my time nowadays in a Dodge cargo van and my '67 Olds Cutlass vert from time to time. I like them both but they both leave a little to be desired in the luxury department. My Dodge cargo van being even more luxurious than my classic Olds, lol. The Eldorado is just gonna be another notch in the belt. I really don't have any practical reason to register and insure it except that I enjoyed driving it. :cool:

Destroyer
03-21-10, 01:03 AM
Did you buy that yesterday? The only reason I ask is because it was 67* here on Thursday, and the high on Friday was 39*!!!!Depends. I always thought it would be a cold day in hell before I bought another Northstar. Is where you live hell?:confused:

hueterm
03-21-10, 01:03 AM
$700 for a door panel????? Car was involved in an accident at one time and has a rebuilt title.

Well, new from the dealer, including installation.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-21-10, 09:08 AM
Is where you live hell?:confused:

Sometimes, I think so. :(

:lol: :p

Rolex
03-21-10, 04:00 PM
Oh God, please let those head gaskets hold.

:histeric:

My exact thought. That's one nice looking Cadi. For $700 why would you NOT buy it? Why can't I find these great looking dirt cheap cars?

:cheers: Destroyer.....never say never. :p

orconn
03-21-10, 04:24 PM

Minneapolis hell, I think not ... unless you count the mosquitos. Now with Duluth, Minnesota you may well have a viable candidate as far a s frozen Hell goes!

77CDV
03-22-10, 12:14 AM

MN is definitely not hell, per se, but it could be considered a circle of purgatory. Someplace to go for all those heat fanbois like me who overwork our heaters during the winter. :lol:

N*Caddy
03-22-10, 12:29 AM
Beautyfull, for $700
The only issues I noticed are:
*Misaligned driver's door
*Pushed in front bumper on the driver's side
*Repainted passenger door (but that might be just my cell screen)
*Worn steering wheel cover and shifter knob
*Non Bose
*Not woodgrain shifter bezel
*Tinted windows
*Base '95 style rims

Color is amazing, seats OK, this car in Canada is 8 times the price

Destroyer
03-22-10, 01:04 AM
Beautyfull, for $700
The only issues I noticed are:
*Misaligned driver's door
*Pushed in front bumper on the driver's side
*Repainted passenger door (but that might be just my cell screen)
*Worn steering wheel cover and shifter knob
*Non Bose
*Not woodgrain shifter bezel
*Tinted windows
*Base '95 style rims

Color is amazing, seats OK, this car in Canada is 8 times the price

Very good. Let me see:

Misaligned drivers door: No
Pushed in front bumper on the drivers side: No, it's on both sides, lol
Prepainted passenger door: No. Repainted hood, front fender and rear quarter but not the door.
Worn steering wheel cover and shifter knob: I didn't even notice. Probably right.
Non Bose Didn't check, probably right
Repainted passenger door (but that might be just my cell screen)think it's just your cell screen.
Not woodgrain shifter bezelCan't argue with you there
Tinted windows I like tinted windows and these are very well done. This is one of the first things I would have had done to the car. I live in Florida, 'nuff said.
Base '95 style rims Ok, are these not what a '99 base came with? I can't imagine these are not original.

N*Caddy
03-22-10, 09:08 PM
*Check the first two pictures, the door is little sagging unless is not closed properly (that may also be the issue). Probably the door striker needs adjustment (3 minutes job if you even bother with it).
*If you are referring to the fender and quarter on the passenger side then yeah the screen is fine the door color is little off (darker) than the other panels (I assumed the smaller piece is the painted one not the other larger pieces). Where is the blending line on the quarter (quarter panel painting = roof + other side quarter panel)?
*Oh yeah I see now (picture 3) the right side of the bumper is also pushed in, is super easy to fix, just the 4 bolts holding the bumper on the impact absorbers, the clips for the mud shield and the 4 (2 on each side) screws holding the inner wheel well plastic liners attached to the bumper ends (along the front of the wheel arch) and the bumper slides forward (oh fog lights disconnected before). Then use a plastic mallet to pull out the cylinders (by the amount the bumper is pushed in on each side). Don’t stay in front of the cylinder while hammering, is a possibility (very small) to shoot out as is pressurized gas inside (I can do this in as little as half hour). You can replace the mallet with a frame puller if you have one (but generally any kind of improvisation should do the trick).
*Usually if I go with somebody to inspect a car he/she is looking to buy if it has tinted windows I walk (run) away. Is like why some insurance company will give higher premium on yellow or bright red painted car. Tinted windows usually means abused car and expect lots of aftermarket equipment (just removed for the sale). “Oh this beauty was owned by an old man” – why an 80 year old had tinted windows and aftermarket stereo with sub (removed just wires left) into the trunk. That tells something about the previous owner. Then the other kind of owners with tinted windows is the one that never cleans the inside of the car (I have seen a couple like that). But then this is up in north where you kid of cherish every single second with sunshine, Florida you are right is a different story.
*Add missing trim on the left side fender and the warped dash panel (defog grill area). I would like to see the ONE car with that dash pad cover not warped after 10 years. That is ~$1200 replacement (if the dash pad cover is not discontinued yet). I have similar issue, I got it fixed one year ago (80%) but still not happy with it (in cold weather the grille still pulls out little bit and really don’t want to put screws or tape).
*The rims are correct for the year (they are just ’95 style). Those rims were the rims to have in ’95, in ‘96 were changed with the newer style brushed aluminum (original on my car) or chrome plated (the ones I have now). Around the same time Eldorado switched to the newer style rims too but kept the older style too I believe up to the end. For some reason some Eldorados came with the older style, some with the newer one (’96-’97 Seville) and some (late in 2001?) got an even newer style (I believe in 2002 you can get as many as 4 rim styles (some having the chromeplated/non-chromeplated option) on Eldorado. Then the ’96-’97 Seville style ones for the chrome plated version had the Cadillac logo on the caps (not “STS”/”SLS” as in ‘96-‘97 Seville) either chrome plated or (very rare) gold plated. But enough about rims…

Put it this way, in Jan ’06 I paid $8.5K for my (very base) STS with misaligned front and rear bumpers (driver’s side), one missing (broken) screw on the outer left taillight, missing most of the clips for the mud shield, worn steering wheel and (especially) shifter knob, right side headlight bottom trim sticking out, broken (badly repaired) bumper under the right side fog light, broken corner of the rear window trim, patched (nylon) fuel line and scratched windshield. The interior was mint (driver seat was showing the 60K), “A” pillar trim burned (smoker!) and driver’s door panel had most of the clips broken (idiot!), engine mint (except the fuel line), no aftermarket crap, no modifications of any kind.
Little over 4 years (and ~$20K more) since I have addressed all these issues (plus many others), converted the car to BOSE, repainted (not talking about quick masking tape on the trims spray thing, it was an almost 2 month job with all trims removed). I have 70K of my own on top of the original 60K and never touched the engine (witch would have been half the price I had to pay just for the struts). Well I did change everything around the engine:
- fuel line (first thing – no recall for Canadian cars go figure!),
- spark plugs and wiring,
- alternator (twice),
-A/C compressor (and plumbing),
- belts,
- water pump,
- Tensioner pulley (no reason just found a new one dirty cheap),
- various small hoses and rubber elbows,
- dog bones,
- battery,
- EGR,
- PCV,
- FPR,
- Bottom piece of the air filter box,
- EBTCM,
- right side headlight assembly (for no reason other that I found a brand new one almost free),
- parking lights (cracked from small rocks and sun – HWY drive),
- over radiator/headlights plastic cover + sticker (lost during the paint job),
- rack and pinion
- $truts (front & rear OEM new),
- upper strut mounts,
- sway bar links (twice) and bushings,
- rear knuckle bushings),
- OEM cat + post O2 sensor (actually the entire exhaust except silencer)
- fuel pump,
- front bumper (remember originally cracked bridge under fog light – some bad repair attempt),
- countless trims & clips & rubber seals (when assembling the car back after the paint job): rear window trim, door upper seals, driver’s door inner upper trim, chrome trim (bumpers and doors), driver’s door valance black trim, etc…
- windshield (remember was scratched),
- “A” pillar covers (both sides - smoker),
- Entire audio system changed w/’99 BOSE Eldorado HU&RIM, ‘97 Seville BOSE speakers (brand new) + AUX input + 12 disk OEM CD Changer,
- white LED interior lights,
- HID,
- rims (chrome ’96-’97 style OEM – paid crazy money for those),
- all dash wood trim,
- repaired clips on the door panel (still looking for a new one),
- steering wheel (’02 Eldorado woodgrane – crazy, crazy, crazy money),
- shifter knob,
- both front wheel bearings,
- fuel filler neck,
- driver’s door lock trim, lock switch and (soon – when I get time) the actual door knob (cracked upper tabs for the trim) and door panel mirror trim,
- rear view mirror (same style like yours),
- flasher (burned) & flasher/wiper wand (no reason just writing was fading),
- gold plated emblems (all 4 – crazy money),
- Cadillac “ducky” logo embroidered floor mats.
- Upper strut brace (original was rusting out around the welds)
Probably I am forgetting others...
I am about to change the entire audio system again (and partially the body controls electrics) to retrofit the ’02 and up Denso NAV unit – finally got it figure out after over 1 year of studies), little fuel door (bought new + sticker need to be painted so far is just primed). Soon either recover or completely replace the driver’s seat (looking for one new or in MINT condition) and also looking for 4 (brand new or MINT) chrome plated center caps with gold plated “STS” logo (in recess as there are two styles). The other on the to do list is embroidered Cadillac logo on the upper side of back rest (front seats) as in the ’02 collectors edition Eldorado and OnStar (so replace rear view mirror again, add VCM, add OnStar antennas (GPS and regular on rear glass + harness) and to investigate if I can go OEM satellite radio (that’s a maybe).
I do have the stupid oil pan gasket leak, not enough to get me to have-it fixed (no dripping on the floor so far).
So how much do you think I love this car?

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/7338/97sts.jpg

Destroyer
03-22-10, 09:45 PM
*Check the first two pictures, the door is little sagging unless is not closed properly (that may also be the issue). Probably the door striker needs adjustment (3 minutes job if you even bother with it).
*If you are referring to the fender and quarter on the passenger side then yeah the screen is fine the door color is little off (darker) than the other panels (I assumed the smaller piece is the painted one not the other larger pieces). Where is the blending line on the quarter (quarter panel painting = roof + other side quarter panel)?
*Oh yeah I see now (picture 3) the right side of the bumper is also pushed in, is super easy to fix, just the 4 bolts holding the bumper on the impact absorbers, the clips for the mud shield and the 4 (2 on each side) screws holding the inner wheel well plastic liners attached to the bumper ends (along the front of the wheel arch) and the bumper slides forward (oh fog lights disconnected before). Then use a plastic mallet to pull out the cylinders (by the amount the bumper is pushed in on each side). Don’t stay in front of the cylinder while hammering, is a possibility (very small) to shoot out as is pressurized gas inside (I can do this in as little as half hour). You can replace the mallet with a frame puller if you have one (but generally any kind of improvisation should do the trick).
*Usually if I go with somebody to inspect a car he/she is looking to buy if it has tinted windows I walk (run) away. Is like why some insurance company will give higher premium on yellow or bright red painted car. Tinted windows usually means abused car and expect lots of aftermarket equipment (just removed for the sale). “Oh this beauty was owned by an old man” – why an 80 year old had tinted windows and aftermarket stereo with sub (removed just wires left) into the trunk. That tells something about the previous owner. Then the other kind of owners with tinted windows is the one that never cleans the inside of the car (I have seen a couple like that). But then this is up in north where you kid of cherish every single second with sunshine, Florida you are right is a different story.
*Add missing trim on the left side fender and the warped dash panel (defog grill area). I would like to see the ONE car with that dash pad cover not warped after 10 years. That is ~$1200 replacement (if the dash pad cover is not discontinued yet). I have similar issue, I got it fixed one year ago (80%) but still not happy with it (in cold weather the grille still pulls out little bit and really don’t want to put screws or tape).
*The rims are correct for the year (they are just ’95 style). Those rims were the rims to have in ’95, in ‘96 were changed with the newer style brushed aluminum (original on my car) or chrome plated (the ones I have now). Around the same time Eldorado switched to the newer style rims too but kept the older style too I believe up to the end. For some reason some Eldorados came with the older style, some with the newer one (’96-’97 Seville) and some (late in 2001?) got an even newer style (I believe in 2002 you can get as many as 4 rim styles (some having the chromeplated/non-chromeplated option) on Eldorado. Then the ’96-’97 Seville style ones for the chrome plated version had the Cadillac logo on the caps (not “STS”/”SLS” as in ‘96-‘97 Seville) either chrome plated or (very rare) gold plated. But enough about rims…

Put it this way, in Jan ’06 I paid $8.5K for my (very base) STS with misaligned front and rear bumpers (driver’s side), one missing (broken) screw on the outer left taillight, missing most of the clips for the mud shield, worn steering wheel and (especially) shifter knob, right side headlight bottom trim sticking out, broken (badly repaired) bumper under the right side fog light, broken corner of the rear window trim, patched (nylon) fuel line and scratched windshield. The interior was mint (driver seat was showing the 60K), “A” pillar trim burned (smoker!) and driver’s door panel had most of the clips broken (idiot!), engine mint (except the fuel line), no aftermarket crap, no modifications of any kind.
Little over 4 years (and ~$20K more) since I have addressed all these issues (plus many others), converted the car to BOSE, repainted (not talking about quick masking tape on the trims spray thing, it was an almost 2 month job with all trims removed). I have 70K of my own on top of the original 60K and never touched the engine (witch would have been half the price I had to pay just for the struts). Well I did change everything around the engine:
- fuel line (first thing – no recall for Canadian cars go figure!),
- spark plugs and wiring,
- alternator (twice),
-A/C compressor (and plumbing),
- belts,
- water pump,
- Tensioner pulley (no reason just found a new one dirty cheap),
- various small hoses and rubber elbows,
- dog bones,
- battery,
- EGR,
- PCV,
- FPR,
- Bottom piece of the air filter box,
- EBTCM,
- right side headlight assembly (for no reason other that I found a brand new one almost free),
- parking lights (cracked from small rocks and sun – HWY drive),
- over radiator/headlights plastic cover + sticker (lost during the paint job),
- rack and pinion
- (front & rear OEM new),
- upper strut mounts,
- sway bar links (twice) and bushings,
- rear knuckle bushings),
- OEM cat + post O2 sensor (actually the entire exhaust except silencer)
- fuel pump,
- front bumper (remember originally cracked bridge under fog light – some bad repair attempt),
- countless trims & clips & rubber seals (when assembling the car back after the paint job): rear window trim, door upper seals, driver’s door inner upper trim, chrome trim (bumpers and doors), driver’s door valance black trim, etc…
- windshield (remember was scratched),
- “A” pillar covers (both sides - smoker),
- Entire audio system changed w/’99 BOSE Eldorado HU&RIM, ‘97 Seville BOSE speakers (brand new) + AUX input + 12 disk OEM CD Changer,
- white LED interior lights,
- HID,
- rims (chrome ’96-’97 style OEM – paid crazy money for those),
- all dash wood trim,
- repaired clips on the door panel (still looking for a new one),
- steering wheel (’02 Eldorado woodgrane – crazy, crazy, crazy money),
- shifter knob,
- both front wheel bearings,
- fuel filler neck,
- driver’s door lock trim, lock switch and (soon – when I get time) the actual door knob (cracked upper tabs for the trim) and door panel mirror trim,
- rear view mirror (same style like yours),
- flasher (burned) & flasher/wiper wand (no reason just writing was fading),
- gold plated emblems (all 4 – crazy money),
- Cadillac “ducky” logo embroidered floor mats.
- Upper strut brace (original was rusting out around the welds)
Probably I am forgetting others...
I am about to change the entire audio system again (and partially the body controls electrics) to retrofit the ’02 and up Denso NAV unit – finally got it figure out after over 1 year of studies), little fuel door (bought new + sticker need to be painted so far is just primed). Soon either recover or completely replace the driver’s seat (looking for one new or in MINT condition) and also looking for 4 (brand new or MINT) chrome plated center caps with gold plated “STS” logo (in recess as there are two styles). The other on the to do list is embroidered Cadillac logo on the upper side of back rest (front seats) as in the ’02 collectors edition Eldorado and OnStar (so replace rear view mirror again, add VCM, add OnStar antennas (GPS and regular on rear glass + harness) and to investigate if I can go OEM satellite radio (that’s a maybe).
I do have the stupid oil pan gasket leak, not enough to get me to have-it fixed (no dripping on the floor so far).
So how much do you think I love this car?

Thanks for the tips on making the small repairs. Tinted windows are perfectly normal in Florida and actually add value IMO. I never found them as a sign of abuse to a car but things may be different in your neck of the woods. Over here even the old folks with new Cadillacs get their windows tinted. Anyway, I'm not going to throw money at this car. I'll drive it till it has a catastrophic failure like an H/G job and then dispose of it.

ejguillot
03-22-10, 11:29 PM
+1 on the tinted windows in FL. They are a requirement down here!

Aron9000
03-23-10, 01:33 AM
^:werd: on the tinted windows. Every car I've ever owned has had the windows tinted. Still debating on doing it to my convertible, seems kind of pointless though.

gdwriter
03-23-10, 02:15 AM
Even in Oregon, I like having tinted windows in the Seville, although I have the lightest tint possible so it's still easy to see out at night. The E-Z Kool glass on the '91 DeVille was really effective, though. I never felt the need to tint the windows in that car, but I noticed a difference with the Seville once summer hit and got them done.

When I lived in Arizona, I had the windows tinted on every car I owned within a few weeks of buying it.

Stingroo
03-23-10, 08:28 AM
I was really happy to learn the wagon had tinted windows when I got it.

They're a gooooooood thing here.

Jesda
03-23-10, 09:03 AM
All the used cars I get with tint were really cheap ones, so they turn purple or bubble over time. Its hell getting the stuff off.

dwight.j.carter
03-23-10, 09:07 PM
believe it or not there are good ones out there. Keep in mind you are only hearing the horror stories on the forum. I have hardly posted since i got my 2000 STS it runs and drives great minus normal wear and tear items. Looks like you found a good one I would hold onto it.

Destroyer
03-24-10, 12:11 AM
^:werd: on the tinted windows. Every car I've ever owned has had the windows tinted. Still debating on doing it to my convertible, seems kind of pointless though.Heh, I thought about tinting the windows on my 67 Cutlass convertible but then I thought to myself, why? I never even drive it with the top and windows up. ;)

eyekandyboats.inc
03-24-10, 12:23 AM
i'm with N*Caddy. window tint up here on a car like that would have signs of abuse.
window tint up here is more of a "ricer" thing or some one who has something to hide, etc etc
tint up here ( for me and my friends at least) are seen on hondas, riced out cars , and that has kinda been kept true.

V-Eight
03-24-10, 12:37 AM
Yeah, window tint usually means its kid who thinks their car is cool and drives the shit out of it. I mostly see it on ricers as well. I mean, if I got a V I'd tint it, but it IS a Cadillac.

AMGoff
03-26-10, 01:27 PM
My my my... Hell hath frozen over. Maybe now that 90's Cadillacs have depreciated to the point of disposable commodities, you'll have a bit less angst if something goes wrong with it.

hueterm
03-26-10, 02:32 PM
The driver's window repair on my Concours will be almost (or possibly more) than what you paid for that Eldo....

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-26-10, 08:27 PM
Does it not move at all or is it stuck down?

hueterm
03-26-10, 08:31 PM
It was stuck down until they pulled it back up at the dealer when they had the door panel off. And apparently the part is discontinued...

It's going to take a few days to decide what to do about parts, so I put it back in storage and got the ETC out. My trip to STL got cancelled for other (dog-related) reasons...

Destroyer
03-27-10, 12:18 AM
My my my... Hell hath frozen over. Maybe now that 90's Cadillacs have depreciated to the point of disposable commodities, you'll have a bit less angst if something goes wrong with it.
I will have much less "angst", none at all in fact. I dumped almost $9k into my '98 Deville within a few months only to have it blow up on me. This time I wont fix it up at all and I certainly won't try to repair any coolant issues. I'm gonna drive it till it dies and then part it out. I already have it all planned out and this is gonna be fun. When (not if) the car starts giving problems like even a hint of overheating or smell of coolant, I will start beating the everloving piss out of it. I will take it to the track and race it. I will start removing parts off it to make it lighter and faster and I will have it all on tape and here online. You don't need a whole lot of coolant in it to run down the 1/8 mile track which is across the street from one of my warehouses!
:thumbsup:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-27-10, 12:21 AM
You dumped NINE THOUSAND DOLLARS into your '98 DeVille? I dunno what's dumber, that, or the fact you won't let your hate of that car die.

orconn
03-27-10, 12:43 AM
$9000.00 on repairs on a '98 Deville ... something tells me that there is something more going on here than N* hatred!

Destroyer
03-27-10, 12:46 AM
You dumped NINE THOUSAND DOLLARS into your '98 DeVille? I dunno what's dumber, that, or the fact you won't let your hate of that car die.Hold on Chad, this isn't about "hate for that car". Facts are facts and that is what I had into that car and that is what happened. My wife loved that car and I wanted to make it nice for her, if I had someone like Jake around here I would have had it fixed. It ain't me dude, look at the N* forums and see how many H/G issues there are and were.

Yes, I had $9k into it. I bought it for $4300 and customized it with nice wheel/tires, tint and put a lot of $$$$$ into repairs other than the H/G issue. Add how much the cost of your S320 was and include the real (non warranty) repair costs that went into it and then what you sold it for before you go calling me dumb. Bet you have me beat.

Destroyer
03-27-10, 12:48 AM
$9000.00 on repairs on a '98 Deville ... something tells me that there is something more going on here than N* hatred!No, that was with the price of the car, repairs and a few custom touches. This was 3 years ago when the cars were going for $4-$7k.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-27-10, 01:25 AM
Hold on Chad, this isn't about "hate for that car". Facts are facts and that is what I had into that car and that is what happened. My wife loved that car and I wanted to make it nice for her, if I had someone like Jake around here I would have had it fixed. It ain't me dude, look at the N* forums and see how many H/G issues there are and were.

Yes, I had $9k into it. I bought it for $4300 and customized it with nice wheel/tires, tint and put a lot of $$$$$ into repairs other than the H/G issue. Add how much the cost of your S320 was and include the real (non warranty) repair costs that went into it and then what you sold it for before you go calling me dumb. Bet you have me beat.

Oh, I thought you put $9,000 into it after you bought it. I bet I had probably $17,000 into that Mercedes all said and done, but I loved that car. I'd totally pick another one up if I came across a lot of money for no particular reason. That was the finest car I'll ever own, bar none, even if it was ridiculously expensive to own and maintain. You know what I'm talking about, you had one too, except yours was a year older.

Destroyer
03-27-10, 01:40 AM
Oh, I thought you put $9,000 into it after you bought it. I bet I had probably $17,000 into that Mercedes all said and done, but I loved that car. I'd totally pick another one up if I came across a lot of money for no particular reason. That was the finest car I'll ever own, bar none, even if it was ridiculously expensive to own and maintain. You know what I'm talking about, you had one too, except yours was a year older.
I know exactly what you are talking about. The 90's S-class Mercedes were great cars. I own nothing that can match the build quality of one of those. I will own one again. The '00-up models do nothing for me. Next time it will be (at least) an S500. The S320 was good but an S500 would me suit me better. Being that you are an enthusiast that likes performance and luxury, I would highly recommend a Porsche 928 to you. An '85-up actually. All the luxury you would expect in a top of the line MB (and then some) plus the performance of a Porsche. Trust me on this one Chad!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-27-10, 01:47 AM
I'd love another W140. I'd have to go with the 500 as well though. The 420 didn't have that much power over the 320 to justify the additional money, and the 600 is far too complicated and expensive. I always liked the 928's, they're my favorite classic Porsche, but I wouldn't be able to buy one for a very long time. Owning German is nice, even more so if you actually have money!

concorso
03-27-10, 01:37 PM
I would have offered the seller $1000. :) Reminds me of the TG episode where the boys comment on a guy selling a really expensive MB for 15 grand and they say "I would have offered him 16!" :)

bicentennialcadillac
03-27-10, 09:31 PM
Nice Eldo.

The W126 is the only Benz I'd ever own.

97EldoCoupe
03-27-10, 11:46 PM
Destroyer, welcome back :thumbsup: .....

If your HG`s blow, I`m packing my tools and heading your way for 2 days of work and a vacation afterwards......

Beautiful Eldorado.

Tinted windows - a DEFINITE must for me. I guess something`s wrong with me for the area of the world I live in, but black tint just makes a car stand out and look sharp. A classy car deserves chrome rims and dark tint.

Destroyer, I just had my 76 Olds with the 455 big block running this afternoon (Thanks Jim- Submariner409) It may lack some luxury options, and it`s not a Caddy, but immediately you realize the differences.....ROOM......legendary V8 power.......and the fact that even stopped, you can turn your wheels with the effort of one finger....

Each vehicle has it`s own advantages. I`m sure you will love that Eldorado - just remember that it`s over 10 years old and it`s full of electronics and odd things will require replacement after this many years.

Destroyer
03-28-10, 01:06 AM
Destroyer, welcome back :thumbsup: .....

If your HG`s blow, I`m packing my tools and heading your way for 2 days of work and a vacation afterwards...... Come on down Jake. Lot's of head gasket failures right around the bend as it gets warmer here. I find these cars regularly on Craigslist with blown head gaskets for real cheap. An affordable and reliable repair like yours would help keep a lot of these cars on the road.

Beautiful Eldorado.

Tinted windows - a DEFINITE must for me. I guess something`s wrong with me for the area of the world I live in, but black tint just makes a car stand out and look sharp. A classy car deserves chrome rims and dark tint.

Destroyer, I just had my 76 Olds with the 455 big block running this afternoon (Thanks Jim- Submariner409) It may lack some luxury options, and it`s not a Caddy, but immediately you realize the differences.....ROOM......legendary V8 power.......and the fact that even stopped, you can turn your wheels with the effort of one finger....

Each vehicle has it`s own advantages. I`m sure you will love that Eldorado - just remember that it`s over 10 years old and it`s full of electronics and odd things will require replacement after this many years.Absolutely right. You can't appreciate cars till you have owned examples of every type of car. Numbers never tell the story. I can enjoy slower cars every bit as much as I can a fast car. I can enjoy a car that takes turns like a go cart as much as one that handles like a wet noodle. Automotive pleasure comes in many shapes and sizes.

ThumperPup
03-28-10, 05:54 PM
Hey Jake Sir on your way can you stop in Lansing Mi or Cleveland Ohio and work on my 2000 seville please
i think you need a vacationa and FL sounds good since you have to pass me on the way i think

Lord Cadillac
03-29-10, 12:58 PM
I can't believe you got that car for $700.00.. The Eldorado is still a head-turner - especially in white diamond.. Very, very nice...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-29-10, 11:25 PM
OK Nick, you gotta admit, that Northstar sure is a fun motor to mess around with. :lildevil: Sure, your Dodge's 318 may be more reliable, but it's nowhere near as fun!

Destroyer
03-31-10, 12:02 AM
OK Nick, you gotta admit, that Northstar sure is a fun motor to mess around with. :lildevil: Sure, your Dodge's 318 may be more reliable, but it's nowhere near as fun!
Yes I admit the N* is more fun than the 318 in my doge cargo/work van. :cool2:

hueterm
04-01-10, 02:08 AM
He's softening up like a bar of Dove left in a wet shower......