: Oil level sensor & alternator terminal hookup

Pete315
03-18-10, 10:25 AM
before I break it, how do you disconnect the wire from the sensor? there is no plug on end of sensor. looks like wires go directly into sensor. I followed the wire on the other end and there is no plug also.

Submariner409
03-18-10, 12:01 PM
The oil level sensor has a 2-pin plug connector in the end of the hex head. There's a lock tab on the side of the connector body - in the hex head.

STSS
03-18-10, 12:08 PM
There is a plug on the sensor end... the "leg" you have to bend out to remove it is further down inside the end of the sensor. Try to look into the end of the sensor with a flashlight.

DO NOT JUST PULL, YOU WILL BREAK THE END OF THE SENSOR... ask me how I know.

Pete315
03-18-10, 05:34 PM
thanks for the info. got it off.

tateos
03-18-10, 08:44 PM
There is a plug on the sensor end... the "leg" you have to bend out to remove it is further down inside the end of the sensor. Try to look into the end of the sensor with a flashlight.

DO NOT JUST PULL, YOU WILL BREAK THE END OF THE SENSOR... ask me how I know.

I like that part - "ask me how I know" - sounds like me a lot of the time! LOL

barrylee
08-30-12, 08:27 PM
i pulledvthat wire out apart by accident. now i need to know which wire goes on which side of the plug?

Submariner409
08-30-12, 10:15 PM
Makes no difference - it's a magnetic "on/off" switch.

Wiring diagrams and connector pinouts in your car subscription to www.alldatadiy.com

barrylee
08-30-12, 11:58 PM
i have the fsm finally got the thing back together, still needvto get the serp belt on and put the freshly charged battery in. is there any use or benefit to hooking up the F pin of the alt ? the salvaged alt i got with the harness and it has not only the L but also the F dont know but can i benefit from it some how? what is it?

barrylee
08-31-12, 01:20 AM
oh and thank you for the help i appreciate it. i still have a lot to learn.

Submariner409
08-31-12, 11:29 AM
The alternator F terminal is the Field excitation voltage - that's literally what turns the alternator "ON", and also is a part of the electrical voltage circuit that determines alternator output.

The L terminal is the old "Light" circuit - the red dashboard idiot light - in your case, the check charging circuit signal.

You can find various alternator wiring diagrams in the Balmar site - www.balmar.net (http://www.balmar.net) - look at the various voltage regulator wiring diagrams. You might also try to Google something like "automotive voltage regulator wiring diagrams" or "automotive alternator wiring diagrams".

barrylee
08-31-12, 02:41 PM
The alternator F terminal is the Field excitation voltage - that's literally what turns the alternator "ON", and also is a part of the electrical voltage circuit that determines alternator output.

The L terminal is the old "Light" circuit - the red dashboard idiot light - in your case, the check charging circuit signal.

You can find various alternator wiring diagrams in the Balmar site - www.balmar.net (http://www.balmar.net) - look at the various voltage regulator wiring diagrams. You might also try to Google something like "automotive voltage regulator wiring diagrams" or "automotive alternator wiring diagrams".

the diagrams im seeing show L turns on input. thats all me other one had, but this alt has that L and so do i just leave off the F wire?

Submariner409
08-31-12, 02:59 PM
I don't have a '95 charging circuit diagram, so I won't guess at your terminal lineup.

barrylee
08-31-12, 03:02 PM
why not i am guessing...i guess ill thumb through the fsm for a while. nthanks.

barrylee
08-31-12, 03:26 PM
why not i am guessing...i guess ill thumb through the fsm for a while. nthanks.

i guess what im asking is where do i run the sense wire to, the other alt didnt have one

barrylee
08-31-12, 10:37 PM
battery? run a wire from red batt to this pin on alt?

MRneatfreak-
09-01-12, 11:28 AM
I like that part - "ask me how I know" - sounds like me a lot of the time! LOL

When I removed the harness from the engine, this was the only one that I missed. I was blessed that the wires just broke about 4 inches from the sensor and only had to be spliced, and I didn't have to replace the sensor.

barrylee
09-01-12, 11:57 AM
the wires and the moisture guard came right out of the clip on mine. the car doesnt seem to care that its unhooked. going to have to recrimp them.