: Do we need daylight savings time?

CadillacCastle
03-16-10, 09:49 PM
Can someone make a poll to see how many people like daylight savings time and who do not? Arizona and Hawaii seem to be ok without it. And what exactly are the advantages? I've heard reasons as for farmers, and saving electricity getting up in the dark and kids needing daylight when they are waiting for their school bus. Or change it 30 minutes and leave it.

dkozloski
03-16-10, 09:56 PM
It's daylight 24/7 here in the summer so it makes no sense at all.

gdwriter
03-16-10, 10:16 PM
I like it in the summer because I can get in 18 holes after work.

thebigjimsho
03-16-10, 10:18 PM
It is so much better to have it lighter, later...

hueterm
03-16-10, 10:24 PM
Keep Daylight Savings -- scrap Standard...

RightTurn
03-16-10, 11:29 PM
I wish they'd just LEAVE IT ALONE, one way or the frackin' other. The End. :coffee:

gary88
03-16-10, 11:49 PM
Yes, my crops benefit fromthe extra light :shifty

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-16-10, 11:52 PM
I like the late sun on summer nights, and I benefit from a sunny morning on an otherwise dreary, cold winter morning.

Kick94sts
03-17-10, 01:38 AM
I LOVE when it's bright until 9pm in the summer, I'm so much more productive then when it's dark at 5pm.

77CDV
03-17-10, 02:25 AM
Keep Daylight Savings -- scrap Standard...

^That.

C&C
03-17-10, 06:08 AM
Pick one (I don't care which) and then leave the damn time alone. There's no need to mess with all the clocks and everybodies sleep pattern twice a year (especially in the 24 hour society that we typically have in these times).

CIWS
03-17-10, 07:47 AM

^^^ This is why congress likes it.

They say it's to save fuel/oil because people don't have to turn their lights on as early in the evenings. Of course I have to use them longer in the mornings now because it's still dark . . .

ewill3rd
03-17-10, 08:09 AM
Maybe the energy savings existed during WWII when they came up with this brilliant idea... but like a lot of historical things it's drawbacks have begun to far outweigh its benefits. I don't buy the energy saving malarky anyway.
There is no "extra" anything people. The sun doesn't change, just our perception of when it comes up and goes down. Time is some stupid man-made thing anyway.
I rely on my biological clock and this thing really effs it up.
Moving time twice a year to make people off schedule, sick, tired, confused, and have car accidents from fatigue and improper sleep patterns seem enough reason to offset the puny benefit.
My lights are on the same amount regardless of the time, you just trade time in the morning for time in the evening or vice versa.

I am not enjoying trying to shake my kids out of bed every day to keep them on schedule nor am I enjoying the fatigue I feel every day on top of all the stress I have to deal with.
Move it and leave it, it's all made up crap anyway.

Submariner409
03-17-10, 08:59 AM
"Times, they are a-changin' "

Our old Julian (Caesar) calendar is slightly skewed, month-wise, due to precession of the equinoxes. Just think: In another 5,000 years Spring will start in June instead of March !!!

Earthquakes such as the recent Chilean disaster minutely change earth's rotational speed, so sometime in the distant future there will need to be some more "leap minutes" factored in to keep "night" and "day" oriented as we know it.

When I was making sub patrols out of Rota, Spain the Spanish went to double DST in the summer - it was truly weird to have sunset at 2240 (10:40 PM) and sunrise after 0800.

77CDV
03-17-10, 03:34 PM
Um, we don't use the Julian calendar anymore. We haven't for about a millenium. We're currently using the Gregorian calendar, which accounts for the extra quarter day every year. That's why we have leap years, to add that extra day to the calendar every four years so it stays in sync with the earth's rotation.

Submariner409
03-17-10, 03:38 PM
Semantically, I'll buy that - but the Gregorian Calendar currently in use is a long-term modification of the older Julian (which did have leap years).

Night Wolf
03-17-10, 05:27 PM
It's Daylight Saving Time, as in conserving the daylight to be most beneficial to the average person.

Not Daylight Savings Time, as in going to the grocery store and using a bunch of coupons for a lower bill.

c5 rv
03-17-10, 10:01 PM
Farmers hate the change to DST, which is why Indiana held out for so long. Dairy cattle don't accept the change. Plus, most farmers have day jobs off the farm and like having daylight during their early morning chores before leaving for work.

Everyone else generally likes the idea of more daylight in the evening during the warm summer months.

ewill3rd
03-17-10, 10:41 PM
That is one of my points, there isn't "more daylight".
There may be MORE TIME that we have to utilize the available daylight if we adjust when we get off work... etc, but there is no magic switch that makes the Earth rotate slower so we have more daylight.

Based on the research I have done the primary reason for doing this is energy savings, I say, show me the numbers because I don't buy it.

77CDV
03-18-10, 12:30 AM
It's bollocks. The days get longer with or without DST. Just leave the flinkin' clocks alone already!

Night Wolf
03-18-10, 06:05 PM
That is one of my points, there isn't "more daylight".
There may be MORE TIME that we have to utilize the available daylight if we adjust when we get off work... etc, but there is no magic switch that makes the Earth rotate slower so we have more daylight.

Based on the research I have done the primary reason for doing this is energy savings, I say, show me the numbers because I don't buy it.

This is one of those topics you could just research and research.... example:

http://www.webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/c.html

I don't think anyone is trying to say it gives us more daylight.... I remember a year or two ago I read an artical that broke up the common misuse of "savings" instead of "saving" and how that little change makes people perceive the whole thing different then it really is.

aluv76
03-19-10, 06:44 PM

That's what Tiger Woods said!!!! :thumbsup:

orconn
03-19-10, 07:33 PM
^^^ And Tiger does know his holes!

ewill3rd
03-20-10, 07:37 AM
People say Savings because no one bothers to worry about how to use the English language anymore.
It's more important to be able to understand "Fo Shizzle in the Dizzle" than it is to understand "We The People".

Granted my research has been on the internet and people post what they want to believe as fact, but everyone says that studies show the energy savings are minute if they exist at all but it is painfully obvious that traffic indcidents increase and people get sick and confused due to sleep cycle issues.
I don't care about some magical pretend extention of daylight hours, if I want to utilize more daylight I can adjust my personal habits to accomodate the seasonal changes.
Measuring time is one of man's follies that he created, yes we need it to keep track of things but we can do whatever we want with it.
Adjust it forward, backward, whatever will make for the best use of daylight year 'round, but put it someplace that makes sense and leave it alone.

Maybe I'm talking silly talk, but the negatives TO ME far outweigh any potential benefits, real or imagined.

PS, people just outright say they "get more daylight" so yes, people are saying we get more daylight. It is a matter of wording, but again if anyone cared to speak the official language of the country they live in it would be readily understood what I was trying to say.

Wow, I feel old now... :lol:
Those darn whipper-snappers!