: NO Auto Down on rear windows?????

LITTLEELVISDAN
03-16-10, 01:51 PM
Are mine not working or didn't the Escalade come with Auto Down rear windows?:hmm:

This should be a basic feature on ANY luxury vehicle.:banghead:

Are you freeking kidding me GM?????

I would expect it from Dodge.

Alien
03-16-10, 02:14 PM
Nope.. My 10 doesn't have them...but, I never open them anyway...I'm spoiled with air cond.

LITTLEELVISDAN
03-16-10, 02:22 PM
For that matter "Auto Down / Auto Up" should be standard on all windows for ANYTHING Cadillac.

Now I have to order 4 switches and convert them myself??? ON a $70,000 car??? No wonder they are going under.

Time to call Luke at Lindsay and get 4 front seat switches...

hcvone
03-16-10, 02:23 PM
Yea no auto up or down in the middle, I don't let anyone sit in the middle row anyway, it's my two seat Escalade. ;)

evois
03-16-10, 04:02 PM
not even a MB or lexus has the rear window auto up/down switch.

CadX6
03-16-10, 08:13 PM
There's a certain wisdom in not having auto up/down on the rear windows & I personally definitely wouldn't want it.
Curtain climbers tend to fiddle with things & I don't always remember to activate the rear window override after my adult passengers depart. (The auto up probably senses anything in its way, but I'd still worry about a kid getting caught).

tonygxp
03-16-10, 08:32 PM
my '07 SRX had auto dwn/up in all positions. My '09 Ram Quad cab (only an SLT with the 4.7) has auto dwn/up fro the front two positions.. GM for all the good they do they just fall a tiny bit short..

101mph62
03-16-10, 11:29 PM
my late 90s lexus had auto up and down, lol....i was suprised when i started looking for my escalade that GM didnt put it on this truck

hcvone
03-17-10, 07:24 AM
I just checked and my 06' and 08' SRX have auto up and down from the back seats

Big Windy Ext
03-17-10, 07:45 AM
So auto up and down is just switches , I thought it was more than that .

ewill3rd
03-17-10, 08:13 AM
It is more than just switches, a lot more.

It must be nice not to have any REAL problems in life.
Someday I hope the fact that my windows in my $70,000 luxury car won't roll themselves up or down automatically is the biggest issue I have to deal with.
In the mean time I guess I'll just have to put up with actual problems.
Sorry to sound snippy.
This is always a hide chapper for me.

Big Windy Ext
03-17-10, 08:21 AM
Yep , life has its problems . But some of us are just Car Crazy (in my best Barry Maguire voice) :bonkers:

hcvone
03-17-10, 09:42 AM

Someday I hope the fact that my windows in my $70,000 luxury car won't roll themselves up or down automatically is the biggest issue I have to deal with.
Sorry to sound snippy.
This is always a hide chapper for me.

Hi Bill, it's not like everyone does not have problems in live at least at some time, but the car forums are places where owners can get together and bitch and compare notes, we total understand that GM is a poor run company that has made stupid choices for many years, but we buy their stuff anyway. ;)

LITTLEELVISDAN
03-17-10, 12:46 PM
My 06 STS-V has Auto up and down on all windows. AND it has voice commands. I can tell the car to put all windows down and they all do at the same time. I can tell the car to put all windows up and they do. I can even put them up from the house if I leave them open and it starts to rain.

So you can see my quandry as to if GM has the technology and puts in in some of its cars why not make it standard? Really? is the front seat switches really that much more than the rear seat switches? I think not.

AND

You can adapt the rear with just switches. What you don't get is the pressure sensors that stop the window from going up if a arm of a finger or ladder is in the way. That will take some research to figure out. I did it on my S2000 that came with only the drivers door auto. All it took was a drivers door switch installed in the passenger door. Iwould think GM uses the same technology in the switches.

Easiest way to find out is, switch the wiring on the drivers door and connect the front switch with the rear wiring. Its free and when I get my truck back I am going to try it out.

LITTLEELVISDAN
03-17-10, 01:06 PM

Sorry to sound snippy.
This is always a hide chapper for me.Really? GM taking shortcuts chaps YOUR hide? You ever try to install a break controller on a 07-10 Escalade? What you fine is the even more astounding things GM cut corners on.

On the 04 Escalade/Denali GM had a "connector block" that provided standard wiring for accessories like break controllers to plug into, hot and ready to go (and found in the owners manual). 07-10 GM decided to do away with that connector block and LEAVE THE BARE WIRES (blunt cut) under the dash. To make matters worse the Positive wires are not connected to anything under the hood either. You have to find them and connect them to the power lugs in the fuse box. To top it all off the FUN FACTS I just typed for the 07-10 ARE NOT IN THE OWNERS MANUAL. You have to call your service manager and have him look it up in the spec sheets, and I know from finding out all this out, that most service techs have no clue what the hell you are looking for and why, so you get alot of " I don't know and can't find it":cookoo:

That Chaps my hide. And yes I have the time because I do pull a double axel trailer ALOT and need a break controller.... I actually use it as a truck

Don't get me wrong they do alot right (hence I just bought one) but it's the little things I use that I am tripping across and the lack of dealer knowledge compounds the issues.

ewill3rd
03-17-10, 01:28 PM
Well I can see where this is headed.
I just wanted to say that it is more complex than changing out a switch.
I said it, probably not a good idea to express my personal opinion on the subject.

You guys know where to find me if you have an ACTUAL problem. ;)

krieghoff
03-17-10, 02:40 PM
And this is the only thing you can find wrong with your Cadillac???

LITTLEELVISDAN
03-17-10, 04:14 PM
Bill,

This wasn't a GM beat down session. I clearly stated 2 areas where GM took short cuts on the Escalade. Features that clearly exist on other Cadillac offerings (auto up/down) and on the previous model (Escalade and Denali accessory block). The latter was not a beat down on you as a GM Tech. It was more a beatdown of 3 different dealers in Atlanta not knowing GM did away with the accessory block and talked to me like I hadn't a clue when clearly I knew exactly what I was looking for in the end. I don't think it's my responsibility to educate GM certified tech's in my area.

K9Caddy
03-17-10, 04:24 PM
I can name a plethora of different issues NOT pertaining to a non-existent feature on my Escalade.

I currently have my blind-zone indicators lit up constantly now, after taking it to my dealer with an intermittent issue of being disabled on its own on occasion. Dealer stated he was having "software" issues with his Tech 2 and returned my vehicle worse than it was when I brought it in!! I'm tired of ignorant service techs... Don't know how to fix the issue, don't mess with it!!

ewill3rd
03-18-10, 06:59 AM
GM changes things so fast they can't even keep up with it, it's tough for us.
Most techs won't apply themselves to learn and for that I feel bad for many customers.
I would reiterate that GM is not responsible for the individual drive to be aware of changes or how techs learn of the changes.
I try to keep studied up but there is an overwhelming amount of information to cover from year to year.
I tell people I don't memorize things, I memorize where to find them. I may not have an answer but I know how to get it, and that is far more important given the sheer quantity of information there is out there.

I appreciate your position but as I say from time to time, give credit where credit is due, blaming GM for the actions of individuals at a local dealer isn't always (rarely ever) appropriate. Sadly most dealers blame everything on GM because it is easy to put it on the shoulders of a big "evil" corporation when actually the failure is usually at the dealer level.
Granted there are design failures from time to time and parts issues and on and on.
As dealers we have to learn how to explain what is normal, what is not, and understand what we are doing.
I'd say less than 10% of the techs out there can do that with any degree of clarity, which is another dealer problem. They don't want to pay us to work on these rolling computers.
A lot of times we are treated like the grease monkeys of days gone by.
(I am talking about dealers I have worked for before)

hcvone
03-18-10, 07:13 AM
Bill, GM and the people like us need more techs like you, I am glad I have a dealership that treats me right, and has a clue what is going on and how to take care of customers, you seem to be that type of person. :thumbsup:

silverws6ta
03-20-10, 05:49 PM
I'm going to jump on the bandwagon too since I have an outstanding dealer and the technician at my dealer (Robbie) here in Spartanburg is as sharp as a tack. He has the attitude that you do Bill, if he doesn't know whats wrong, he wants to figure it out. One story I recall recently the service manager told me was about a model (might have been Escalade) that wouldn't start on certain inclines. Fuel pump, no -- module that controls the fuel pump had water in it, and would slosh to one side and cause a short, thus causing the failure. GM had not encountered it; but its now logged. That takes some analytical skills used primary in technology realated fields.

ewill3rd
03-20-10, 07:49 PM
Thanks guys, I don't mean to be disrespectful to the OP.
I think this thread struck me the wrong way and in a bad mood.
I understand that features you think might be standard, or even available, aren't.

Sadly sometimes guys like me end up being the guy who has to take the blame and get the lecture for a choice we didn't make.
I have seen some real doozies in my time let me tell you.
Not to go on a rant, but some of the younger guys in this business really don't have any drive or determination. I think there is a generation of folks that have had everything handed to them who are just walking around looking for someone to give them what they "deserve" rather than actually becoming a man and earning it.
(with many exceptions I am sure)
Oh I know guys my age that are panzies like that but it seems like they are fewer and further between than a lot of these young whippersnappers I see today... I love saying that now.... :lol:

I love a challenge and I have only met 2 cars that I couldn't fix, the main reasons were time and the fact that GM didn't know what to do to fix them either.
I have been involved in a lot of buyback situations and each time I was able to fix the vehicle.
One time in fact I got all the bugs worked out after the owner had begun the buyback process. She said it was all fixed but it was too late and she had to give it back.
The car she got instead was even worse!
Even though I got the bugs out of it, she was pretty bummed out.

OlDirtyRobb
03-23-10, 10:17 AM
I hate the no auto down for the rear too, and no auto up for the fronts is g@y also!