: major problem with my HG job

Pete315
03-15-10, 06:54 PM
OK, tell me what kind of trouble I'm in. In process of doing job, everything has been going smoothly. I started to remove head bolts while engine is in car. As I was attempting to remove a right side head bolt top row, the bolt snapped. The bolt is 1 1/4" shorter then the other heads bolts. There is 1 1/4" of bolt in the block. I had plan on doing job with engine in car because I don't have the room to drop cradle. Does the block now have to come out of the car? Has this happened to anyone else?

Pete315
03-15-10, 07:58 PM
update, I snapped one off the left head now. all 9 other bolts out of left head. 4 other top row head bolts out on right head. all I have left to loosen is bottom row right head. I want to dropped the front cradle to get more room. I found my head gasket problem though. the top row end drivers side head bolt on right head came right out with no pressure. when i removed bolt, it looks like there's half an insert still on the bolt. As I suspected when I began this job, this motor at one point had the heads off for an insert job.

Ranger
03-15-10, 09:28 PM
Holy shit Batman! :eek: Never heard of that happening before, but that's gotta be one hell of a job getting those broken bolts out of there. They must be set in pretty deep.

jsiddall
03-16-10, 07:15 PM
Hmmm... don't want to sound too negative but it might be time to start shopping for a new block.

tateos
03-16-10, 07:17 PM
Some of you may recall that I snapped the top left bolt when installing my heads. I was able to drill it and remove it easily with an easy-out.

jsiddall
03-16-10, 07:31 PM
Some of you may recall that I snapped the top left bolt when installing my heads. I was able to drill it and remove it easily with an easy-out.

Out of curiosity had your block been timeserted previously?

tateos
03-16-10, 08:48 PM
Not. What happened is I think maybe I got a bad bolt. When I turned it to the correct angle, it didn't tighten up like it should. I thought maybe my Norm's insert was turning in the block, but when I tried to tighten that bolt to about the same torque as the rest by turning it some more, it never seemed to tighten and finally snapped. Boy was I bummed! Once I calmed down, I could see that I could access the remaining part in the block, I drilled it, and used the easy out. The Norm's insert had not turned and was not damaged in any way, and the new bolt went right in no problem. I like Jake's studs even better, but I think this does demonstrate that a properly installed Norm's stud in a block with uncompromised aluminum is damn strong - at least when first installed. Well - actually, that was 2 years/13K miles ago - it's still holding as of my trip to work today.

But I still like Jakes studs better. He has never expressed it this way, but his solution is one piece with one "interface" - where the stud's attach to the block. Inserts - Time or Norm's have two "interfaces" where something can go wrong - one where the insert attaches to the block, and a second where the bolt attaches to the insert. So...Jake's system has 1/2 as many things that can mess up.

Pete315
03-16-10, 10:39 PM
Out of curiosity had your block been timeserted previously?

yes, my engine was timeserted. one of the studs came out with half the insert still attached to the bolt. in all, I broke not 1 but 4 bolts in the block. I tried everything not to break them. used a breaker bar, used an impact gun so the vibrations might loosen it up. so now I have to remove engine from car. really sucks.

Ranger
03-16-10, 10:41 PM
If it was Timeserted and failed again, you may be looking for another block (or engine).

Submariner409
03-17-10, 09:59 AM
I wonder if someone used thread locker (not thread sealant, which is what comes on new GM head bolts) on the head bolts. If they did, you can thank them when you buy your new block.

Unless you take the short block to a professional machine shop, which will use some pretty heavy duty drilling and boring equipment on the broken studs, you'll never successfully remove them yourself with hand tools.

Pete315
03-17-10, 01:42 PM
that's what I figured. not giving up yet :bonkers: