: CAI, if you have one - what's your opinion?

vjjack04
03-14-10, 10:30 PM
Been looking for a new cold air intake and have seen several - new era claims a big HP increase - anyone seen a big difference with one of these -how much?

cbloveday
03-14-10, 10:40 PM
Dvandentop has one. Here is his thread.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/188920-anyone-have-intake.html

Gotham CTS-V
03-15-10, 10:04 AM
I have the W4M cold air intake. I had other work done so I can not tell you what gains I got from that alone, but it is problem free and it has totally changed the sound of the car.

cbloveday
03-15-10, 11:03 AM
I have the W4M cold air intake. I had other work done so I can not tell you what gains I got from that alone, but it is problem free and it has totally changed the sound of the car.

x2, I used my LPE Throttle body adapter cause I had the LPE supercharger upgrade done before my W4M mods. I then had W4m put in his full length CAI and the rest of the stuff in my sig. It has been trouble free and is nice and shiny! The filter is huge http://store.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=E-1796

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x99/cbloveday_bucket/wait4meinstall/DSC_0181.jpg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x99/cbloveday_bucket/wait4meinstall/DSC_0182.jpg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x99/cbloveday_bucket/wait4meinstall/DSC_0183.jpg

dvandentop
03-15-10, 11:54 AM
i think they are worth it. i have the new era one and like it quite a bit, no dyno test or anything but the sound increase for whine alone is worth it to me :D

Tony407
03-16-10, 02:45 AM

Can you be specific? Besides increased S/C whine, what else have you observed from the cabin in terms of noise?

Thanks,

Tony

Tony407
03-16-10, 02:47 AM
Does anyone know if having the Wait4Me handheld tune would require an additional tune if I added a CAI? And are all the CAIs pretty much the same in this respect?

Tony

Gotham CTS-V
03-16-10, 07:47 AM
Can you be specific? Besides increased S/C whine, what else have you observed from the cabin in terms of noise?

Thanks,

Tony

Slightly more "engine noise." You can hear the motor a bit more than before. You can also hear a slight air "whoosh" when you first hit the gas, if you listen hard enough. The biggest difference is the supercharger whine though. Before this I would have to be at top gear at WOT with the windows down and I could make out the s/c noise. Now, everytime I give it gas I am reminded that I have a blown motor. WOT it screams too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUTtIPlycIo

That's how it sounds. Obviously quite different than a regular CTS-V.

neuronbob
03-16-10, 01:45 PM
^^^^
Thanks for reposting that. That is perhaps my favorite V video ever.

Back on topic, thans for the posts about CAIs. I'm still evaluating which CAI is best. I'm a little disturbed at reading in other threads that for some of these, the brake duct has be be modified or removed. Is there a CAI where that is not an issue?

Gary Wells
03-16-10, 04:06 PM
^^^^
Thanks for reposting that. That is perhaps my favorite V video ever.

Back on topic, thans for the posts about CAIs. I'm still evaluating which CAI is best. I'm a little disturbed at reading in other threads that for some of these, the brake duct has be be modified or removed. Is there a CAI where that is not an issue?

Yes, D3's CAI does not need the brake duct removed. I would think that there must be others.

GM-4-LIFE
03-17-10, 01:06 AM
I want to do a CAI, but I don't know which one will provide some decent gains with a custom dyno tune.

Can anyone really say which one provides the best power gains?

Shawn

Gary Wells
03-17-10, 10:59 AM
I want to do a CAI, but I don't know which one will provide some decent gains with a custom dyno tune.

Can anyone really say which one provides the best power gains?

Shawn

Shawn:
Post # 18, page # 2, I believe, has some very interesting points to consider when going to a CAI:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/188920-anyone-have-intake.html

I, too, would like to run a CAI and will have to at some point in my modification process, but I am still unsure as top what is best. I do like the looks of the D3 set-up. I also like the looks of the set-up in this thread.
HTH

neuronbob
03-17-10, 11:19 AM
Funny you mention that post, Gary. I just bumped that thread to see if Brandon had any new results for us on the intake they are testing. Otherwise, it's between the wait4me and the D3 intakes for me. wait4me also has a ABS plastic intake that they were testing a couple of months ago and that I'd also be interested in (plastic retains less heat, so cooler intake temps).

hunterkiller
03-17-10, 11:34 AM
Wait4me told me they abandond the ABS intake. It failed to make more hp than the one they sell know. I have it and love the looks and results

Gary Wells
03-17-10, 11:39 AM
I think for my 1st round of modifications I am going to go with just removing the bottom floor out of the stock housing, which seems to me like trying to fart under water in the bathtub while breathing through a straw.

Gary Wells
03-17-10, 11:47 AM
FWIW:
I really like the looks of the one pictured in this thread, but did it require removal of the *brake* duct? It also seems to me that isolating the filter from direct *engine* heat is going to be a must-do. That's one of the things that I like about the D3 set-up is that it looks very professional and factory with the cover.

GM-4-LIFE
03-17-10, 08:08 PM
I really like the way the New Era CAI intake looks. Is the New Era unit metal?

Anyone throwing codes or malfunctioning MAFs with any of the CAI units?

Shawn

cbloveday
03-17-10, 09:21 PM
I will check on the brake duct and report shortly, I am inclined to say no. Jesse did the install. I kept track of as many parts, nuts, bolts, tabs, etc. etc. that I could.
After 1.5 of installing parts, when we were done, there were only a few nuts and bolts left on the shop floor. LOL

Gary Wells
03-18-10, 05:04 AM
Curtis:
Thanks - would really like to know.

cbloveday
03-18-10, 06:08 AM
Gary,

I went out and tried to determine if the brake duct had been removed.
I put a flashlight in the bumper opening and then turned off all lights in the garage to see where the light exited. It did not shine into the engine bay.
The light exited the brake duct hole in the fender. This was done in complete darkness. From this, I preliminarily concluded that the duct work is intact.
I also visually tried to determine if the duct tubes were altered and could not tell as the filter was in the way.
I sent a pm to Jesse to confirm my findings and will let you know what he says. It may be a little bit cause we spoke late last week and he advised me he would be traveling for 2 weeks. I hope he is checking emails.

Curtis

Gary Wells
03-18-10, 07:19 AM
Thanks, Curtis, I would really like a confirmation on this, although I am sure that you are correct. I like the looks of your motor compartment without the covers & with the coils showing. And the looks of the big CAI piping. D3 sells some MSD coils for our cars that are the typical MSD red in color that would really dress up a little color. MSD makes some nice plug wires in red also. I hope that my motor compartment looks as good as yours when I am done.

cbloveday
03-18-10, 09:07 AM
Gary,

I don't normlly drive around with the engine bay dressing off. This photo was taken at Jesse's shop. You can see there is no strut tower brace and it is missing a belt on the pulley. However, I like the engine without all the coverings as well. Although, the dressings may help reduce the dirt flying around, it does retain heat.