: Any tips on touching up chips on pearl white

joe cat
03-14-10, 10:16 PM
I have a 2001 eldo convertible with a few chips and minor (to the primer) scratches . Any tips on that would be great,

Joe

Flash man
03-24-10, 07:13 PM
Hi Joe,

First get the correct OEM touch up paint. Clean the area with alcohol. For deep chips and scratches you can fill it in by applying light coats of touch up until you build up the area. Let cure and use an aggressive compound (Tru-Grit) to smooth down the paint and help blend it in. Then polish and wax. You can also wet sand the touch up paint then compound and polish. But dont wet sand on sharp edges or you will burn thru the clear coat. Good Luck.

Joe Flash man
Flash Auto Detail Products
www.flashwax.com

concorso
03-24-10, 08:27 PM
If you are very particular about the paint, then you won't be satisfied with the results. Youll want a repaint. Metallics and pearls (which you have) need very skilled hands to make it look 'ok'. Its practically impossible to get it looking 'good'.

joe cat
03-25-10, 08:01 AM
Yes I bought the cooreect oem paint the little pen paint and then it was suggested to me to by the matching BAse paint
I did both- many coats of the base as it was dep and only a single coat or two of the pearl - BUT look one way at it- It looks great - Look the other way and its Dark Grey =- But to paint a whole quarter panel for a one inch scratch - Cant see doing it yet - especially since the car was never painted or hit before-

Just like my wife not throwing out the gargbage- Ill have to live with it! LOL Thanks all!

Ranger
03-26-10, 09:32 PM
On a white diamond tricoat you are better off just dabbing the base coat on a chip and leaving well enough alone.

Flash man
03-27-10, 09:38 AM
Hi Joe,

I spoke to my friend Anthony yesterday. He is a paint and bodyman. He told me that the white pearl touch up paint that you buy from the dealer will not be sufficient for touch up. It will turn silver or gray when you apply it. The reason for this is because they can not put the correct pearl dust in the touch up paint. You need to go to a place like Sherwin Williams or a body and paint supply shop. They will give you the correct pearl touch up paint for your car. You can but a pint for your car. This is the only way to get a perfect match for scratches and chips. Good Luck.

Joe Flash man