: Tire Inflation question...

ray901537
03-14-10, 10:56 PM
I have a new set of Michelin pilot sport a/s plus tires and have been driving on them for a few hundred miles now. My question is pretty simple..what tire pressure should they be at because on my tire pressure monitor it says the backs are set at 32 and the fronts at 30. I looked on the website and it said max pressure is 51, so did the dealer just horribly set the tire pressure? Any other tires ive had were max inflates of around 36psi, just thought id ask, thanks guys! :thumbsup:

CIWS
03-15-10, 10:43 AM
The car's recommended pressures (at least on my 06) was 30 psi in the fronts and 32 psi in the rears. At that kind of pressure in the rear tires you will almost certainly wear the center of the tires long before the rest of the tread is even close. My original Pirelli's lasted 8K miles at 32 psi, as I tried to follow the recommended pressure, before the tire centers was worn treadless. My next set of G.Y. F1 A/S I ran at 30 psi and their wear was much better, although when I replaced them you could still see the center tread was more worn than the edges. This set of Michelin I've been running at 28 psi and they are wearing just fine.

I currently run my tires at 28psi in the rears and 34-35 psi in the fronts. All those pressure readings are taken when the tires are cold (not driven overnight, first thing in the morning) and measured with a tire gauge, not the TPS's

You'll have to experiment a bit for what works best for you, but the recommended pressures from Cadillac are BS.

MacMuse
03-15-10, 11:51 AM
Ignore the tire's max setting (51). Start with the pressures stated on the sticker in the driver door frame (probably 30-32 as CIWS said). Adjust from there as needed, but only by a few pounds.

BlackSTSV
03-15-10, 01:14 PM
thanks for the helpful info.

silverws6ta
03-15-10, 04:43 PM
Winter -30 Rear - 34-35 Front
Summer - 28 Rear - 33 Front

ray901537
03-15-10, 10:53 PM
anddd this is why i love this forum thanks guys!!! ill probably just measure the tread depth tomorrow and if theres a difference from the centers to the edges ill change things up, thanks again!!