: Oil change and coolant

steveslattery
08-18-04, 10:56 PM
I'm picking up my 1995 Eldorado Coupe tomorrow. Unfortunately, the owners manual is lost. I have ordered one, but I would like to change the oil immediately. Is it 7.5 quarts of 10 W30 for the Norstar? Also, should I change the coolant and add the Barsleak Gold Powder? The vehicle has 85 K on it and I don't have the service records. I did get the name of the previous owner from the dealer and will try to contact him. But in the meantime . . .
Also, oddly enough, I was checking the tires on this car (these are worn, not new tires the dealer stuck on) and found that they are all H speed rated, while the sticker inside the driver's door says,as I expected, that the car is S speed rated. Do you think somebody was just wishful thinking or some mods have been done to the car? I can't see someone spending the extra cash on H rated tires. Is there anyway to tell?

BeelzeBob
08-18-04, 11:08 PM
7.5 quarts of 10W30 with a dry filter.

Use the green conventional silicated coolant mixed 50/50 with distilled water to replenish the cooling system. Install the BarsLeaks "golden seal" powder into one of the radiator hoses, not the surge tank.

If you search using "coolant supplement" and "coolant" and such there is a lot of previous info on this.

You'll also want to plan on cleaning the throttle body and checking the water pump drive belt and tensioner to make sure both at in good shape on a 95. Considering the mileage and age you might also consider replacing the thermostat along the way also.

zonie77
08-18-04, 11:23 PM
Nothing unusual about H rated tires. That doesn't indicate anything strange. I have H rated tires on my pickup. They aren't expensive.

Oh Yeah, I have W rated tires on my wife's Taurus! No way it'll get close to that speed!

steveslattery
08-19-04, 12:47 AM
Many thanks for the information!

steveslattery
08-19-04, 02:08 AM
By the way, since I don't have an owners manual yet, does anybody know how to reset the computer on the 95 after I change the oil?
Thanks.

TexasETC
08-19-04, 10:30 AM
(1)Turn the ignition switch to the on position (not running)... (2) On the D.I.C. control panel, press the "information" button until "oil life" appears...(3) Press and hold the button marked "reset" until "oil life xxx" appears. ..Thats it.