: Welded up Borla and installed drone fix inserts

pj96ss
03-14-10, 12:34 PM
Was a little bored yesterday so with the help of a friend, threw the Caddy up on the lift took care of the Borla exhaust. I wasn't thrilled with all the clamps. Chris from Borla had sent me the 'drone fix' inserts. We tacked the inserts into place, re-adjusted the exhaust, and then welded the entire thing up. It turned out great!!! We tig welded the exhaust. No more leak points from the clamps. I'll be taking her out today and will post back about any effect the inserts have, not that I can do anything easily at this point.

P.J.

BlackSTSV
03-14-10, 12:37 PM
What do the inserts look like?

pj96ss
03-14-10, 12:44 PM
The easiest way to describe the inserts is that they look like an hour-glass. They are a tight fit and fit inside the pipes at the rear most joint and the joint on the front side of the resonnators. Chris explained that they direct the exhaust flow to get rid of the vibrations that can be caused at certain rpms.

P.J.

BlackSTSV
03-14-10, 02:36 PM
Hmm. I have a borla exhaust as well. I wonder if you could give me the number and chris would send me a set. Thats the only thing I dont like about this system.

Would you mind sending a picture, or show me on a diagram where you installed them?

pj96ss
03-15-10, 08:28 AM
Here is Chris' email at Borla (ChrisM@Borla.com). I got to him by just calling the basic Borla number from their web site. Here is the picture that Chris sent me on where to put the inserts.
I took it for a long spin yesterday. The inserts do work!!! Just tack weld them in place and re-assemble the exhaust.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v666/pj96ss/BorlaDroneFix.gif?t=1268655860

P.J.

BlackSTSV
03-15-10, 12:07 PM
PJ,

Thank you for that helpful information. Did he send you two or four? I see 4 circled parts. Thanks again.

pj96ss
03-15-10, 12:39 PM
Borla will send you 4 inserts.

BlackSTSV
03-15-10, 01:01 PM
Thanks, I just got done talking to Chris, and he is sending them out to me as well. My question to you is if installing these venturis quiet the sound of the exhaust as well, since its reducing the sound in the cab.

Also, how exactly do they work to reduce noise JUST inside the cab?

pj96ss
03-15-10, 02:25 PM
From what I remember Chris explaining to me when I spoke to him the inserts reduce the vibration or 'drone' that is caused by the exhaust flow at certain rpms. I wasn't able to tell a difference in outside noise but my friend comment after reinstalling the exhaust was that it wasn't your typical Caddy. I don't think that the overall noise changed, just no vibration or 'drone' anymore.

P.J.

meekna
03-15-10, 07:13 PM
So if I was to buy a Borla exhaust now, would it come with those baffles already installed?

pj96ss
03-16-10, 05:53 PM
That would be a big no...

DraganHawk
05-18-10, 07:19 PM
So I guess Luke @ Lindsay Cadillac is the man to talk to to order this Borla. Now are those 4 pieces extra $$$$ or when you order thru Luke he will also send out those pieces with the complete Borla exhaust?

chitownv
05-18-10, 09:05 PM
Are we all talking about the gmpp exhaust system ? I can order it threw my parts dept at work but if I have to then contact borla to get these inserts that seems like a pain if they aren't already included. And I am also curious if they charge extra for those inserts.

Thanks

pj96ss
05-19-10, 08:47 AM
No, Borla doesn't charge for the inserts and they don't include them with the exhausts (not everyone wants them). It doesn't matter whether you have the Borla or the GMPP exhaust. You will have to call Borla and Chris will send you the parts. Before I bought my exhaust (I bought the GMPP due to the fact that I was able to get it for several hundred $$'s less than the Borla version), I spoke with Chris and he said that the only difference in the 2 (besides the fact that one has 'Borla' and one has 'GMPP' stamped on it) is if there is a problem with the exhaust, the 'Borla' exhaust warranty will be quicker to get resolved than the 'GMPP' (one would have to go thru GM and they go to Borla to get the issue resolved via warranty).

P.J.

chitownv
05-19-10, 12:40 PM
Thanks P.J

That answers my question. Just wondering is there a nice power gain with this exhaust or is just louder ?

Also any taughts what's better the exhaust from d3 or gmpp

pj96ss
05-19-10, 10:59 PM
I've used Borla's on many a car that have past thru my garages. I'm a fan!!! I really like the 304 stainless steel that they use vs the the 400 series stainless steel that the OEM's are made out of (304 is better). The price difference between the Corsa that needs some bending vs the GMPP isn't all that much to get a total 304 stainless system (the Corsa only replaces the very rear portion of the exhaust and keeps the original 3/4). The muffer is less restrictive than the factory one so Borla does claim an increase of 15-25hp. The sound is completely amazing!!!!

P.J.

DraganHawk
05-21-10, 07:00 PM
I'm sold on the Borla/GMPP!! I called my chevy dealer thru my account the GMPP would be $1140 thru him (thru my shop).
I'll probably call Luke and Lindsay Caddy and see what he says.

So from what I read, it seems calling a Borla dealer would also have to be included for pricing. Then to call Chris at Borla.

You guys know where or who to call for some excellent pricing?