: Temp Gauge

paulikorg
03-14-10, 11:18 AM
Hi Everybody

I have owned my 97 SLS for about 1 month now..everythings great!
I just have one question to throw out here.... the temp gauge hovers just a
bit past the 12 o'clock mark(about the width of the needle) It stays there
whether Im going 35 or 85 mph ...is this an ok range???

Thanks
Pauli

Skiller.
03-14-10, 11:37 AM
Yes. 12 o'clock = 190-205 and as long as it's at or below 215, that's totally normal! Standing still, or in a traffic jam, you might notice it jump up to the 1 o'clock hash mark, which is 225. This is also normal since you're standing still and are getting no air flow. The fans will then kick on and drop it back down.

Ranger
03-14-10, 01:39 PM
As long as it is steady, I wouldn't worry about it.

tateos
03-15-10, 01:45 PM
Just a bit past 12:00 is exactly where my '97 ETC temp needle has been since new, when warmed up and under stable conditions

Submariner409
03-15-10, 02:01 PM
Once more, with feeling...............

02CadillacEldorado
03-20-10, 06:14 PM
My 02 Eldorado is also a hair past the 12 o'clock position in normal driving. It worried me for a minute when I first got it because every other car I have driven it is always a hair to the right of 12 o'clock. I had it idling a while for the other day and it climbed a little bit but then the fans came on and it went back to normal and once I started to drive again it was where it usually stays.

Skiller.
03-20-10, 06:22 PM
My 02 Eldorado is also a hair past the 12 o'clock position in normal driving. It worried me for a minute when I first got it because every other car I have driven it is always a hair to the right of 12 o'clock. I had it idling a while for the other day and it climbed a little bit but then the fans came on and it went back to normal and once I started to drive again it was where it usually stays.

You mean to the left of 12 o'clock? My car definitely runs warmer than my previous car ('97 Altima). My Altima ran at about 11:30.

Submariner409
03-20-10, 06:23 PM
Remember that fans run in slow with ANY A/C mode selected in the HVAC, even DEFROST. With the HVAC system OFF the fans are controlled by the PCM and coolant temperature sensor. In slow traffic or stopped the fans will come on in SLOW at 224 degrees (maybe halfway or so toward the 1:30 mark, then the engine cools to about 213 and the cycle starts over again. Fans go to FAST at 236.

You're normal................look at my temp gauge again.......the center or 12:00 area is highly damped to prevent Granny from worrying about a moving gauge. Real gauges move all the time. That's why we don't have oil pressure gauges any more (or worse, phony damped gauges): most drivers would have a fit if they saw oil pressure constantly go from 20 to 60 psi in traffic.

Whether you like it or not, a Northstar will cycle from about 185 to 225 during highway and town driving with the A/C OFF. Normal. If you have the means to monitor coolant temperature, watch what happens if you shift to 3 at 60 mph and let it wind for a few minutes: the coolant temperature goes DOWN 8 degrees !

My A/C has been OFF all winter, except for 5 minute exercise once a week, and will not be turned on until late June or July. Why waste gas and HP cooling already cool air ??? Defrost ?? Once in a while........and you can still blow air out the windshield vents without turning on A/C.

02CadillacEldorado
03-21-10, 11:50 AM
My bad, I meant a hair to the left of 12 o'clock.