: CHanging the top-speed cut-out.

BIGGUN
08-18-04, 09:18 PM
A friend has access to a tech II and is willing to change my top speed shut off from 110 MPH :annoyed: to the most it can be. How difficult is it to do this? What all is involved? Is it just plug and play or does something need to be downloaded from GM or does it need to be tricked somehow?

While he's in there is there anything else to change to improve performance (shift points up 1 or 2 hundred RPM, fuel curve, timing?????) ?

Thanks for any advice,
Kevin

ShadowLvr400
08-18-04, 10:15 PM
If you have an OBD2, you're into uncharted territory my friend. Noone's managed to hack the OBD2 computer and pull the gov yet. At least not in enough numbers. You and your friend are on your own. Sorry.

foo
08-19-04, 01:26 AM
Hey man if you find out LET ME KNOW :)
I'm wicked interested in changing the stuff in my computer..

Thanks

BIGGUN
08-19-04, 11:45 AM
I keep searching and Reading that all that needs to be done is take it back to a dealer with Z rated tires and tell them you want it changed.........Is that just bullcrap?

Thanks,
Kevin

foo
08-19-04, 12:37 PM
well I'm not talking about just the top speed.. I"m talking about stuff like disabling traction control while stil retaining 1st gear, changing the air fuel curve, timing, etc..

BIGGUN
08-19-04, 09:50 PM
From what I've seen the general opinion on that is that it's not possible yet.

But I read mixed posts about the top speed.

Kevin

ShadowLvr400
08-20-04, 12:56 PM
It's possible to do it, but not easy. Not many people have done it. As for the dealer... In theory they possibly could, doesn't mean they will. As for the top speed limits, there's 3 available. 112, 130, 150. The Z rated option puts the 150 in. All I can offer is good luck.

BIGGUN
08-20-04, 11:37 PM
If it is possible my dealer will do it for me (GOOD friend).
I just wanted to try to find out what the steps were as he is a GMC service tech not Caddy.

Thanks,
Kevin

w8itgtsbtr
08-22-04, 04:30 PM
It might take the limiter off if you change the country code to Germany. But I never did it myself or anything.

speedyman_2
08-22-04, 05:19 PM
What about the Hypertech Power Programmer III?? This works for OBD-II doesn't it??? Or is it non Cadillac OBD-II??? :hmm: I saw these and I didn't know.

STS 310
08-22-04, 07:48 PM
I believe theres more to it than just a reflash. OBD II has not been hacked by any body on this board, or we would have definately heard of it.

got to love that VIN 9.

PMBLACK12
08-22-04, 11:28 PM
It depends on what year it is and if it is an ESC or VIN Y or an ETC or VIN 9. If it is an ETC or VIN 9 you can relace the original tires with Z or W rated tires and most dealerships will reflash your OBDII to raise the top speed limiter to 150 MPH which is possible since the ETC or VIN 9 cars had the option from the factory for the Z rated tires and 150 MPH top speed limit. However, if it is an ESC or VIN Y the top speed is limited to 113 MPH. Since there was no option available from the factory for Z-rated tires and higher top speed limit, the computer cannot be reflashed to raise the limit as it only has the one speed limit figure programmed into it. This is the problem I have with my 2000 ESC. I upgraded the tires to W-rated ones, but the service manager at my local dealership says it can't be changed. He said if it was an ETC or VIN 9 no problem it could be changed very easily, but not possible with mine since there is no option to change. He also says that there is ONE WAY it could be done but would require someone to actually plug into and rewrite parts of the program of the OBD II system, and as of right now he nor I knows of anyone or anywhere that the car could be brought to do it. If anyone does figure a way to do it or knows someone who can I'd love to know about it myself. I desperatley want to do a whole list of performance mods including heads and cams from CHRFab and a tranny swap to the lower final geared 3.71 VIN 9 tranny, but unless I can get the top speed limiter raised it's not worth the money since it will end up hittin' the limiter before it reaches the end of the quarter mile. That and what's the point of having that kind of power and speed if you could never race her on the open road, you might take off on the other car but within seconds the other persons gonna be laughin' cause your dead in the water and their now flyin past you. It's happened a couple times already the way it is stock and it makes you feel pretty stupid believe me. It would feel even worse if I had a ton of money invested into performance mods.