: Our friend JD (Dirt Cheap Fleetwood) has died.

Pages : [1] 2

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-13-10, 12:37 PM
http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/03/lisle-dupage-county-coroner-auto-crash-accident.html

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local&id=7327140

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/napervillesun/news/2098880,Death-Lisle-wreck-speed-NA031210.article

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/2098904,lisle-i355-crash-fatal-031210.article

RIP old friend. You were a hell of a guy, a real class act. Hope it's exactly what you wanted up there!

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs496.snc3/27096_618762115592_199104188_35429588_4561694_n.jp g
http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs489.ash1/26722_620437039032_199104188_35477504_6253268_n.jp g
http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_100_6167.jpg
http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_100_6284.jpg

hueterm
03-13-10, 12:41 PM
What??? I haven't read these articles, but how awful!!!

gdwriter
03-13-10, 12:42 PM
I was one of the members fortunate enough to have met JD at the past three Chicago meets, including one just three weeks ago. He was a great guy. Lots of fun, very knowledgeable about cars, and he treated his 1990 Brougham like royalty. He even watched my dog while I played golf with gary88 at the meet last August. We will miss you terribly, JD. Godspeed and rest in peace.

CIWS
03-13-10, 12:45 PM
R.I.P Dirt Cheap :( My heart goes out to his friends and family during this time of loss. Although I only new him from his posts here and not personally, I'm sure he'll be missed.

Out of respect for his friends and family who might read this thread, since it is a public forum, let's please keep the comments positive and remember the good stuff he left us.

ejguillot
03-13-10, 12:46 PM
That's awful! My condolences to his family and friends. RIP.

93DevilleUSMC
03-13-10, 12:47 PM
RIP John JD Kratenak. Good man, good member of the forums.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-13-10, 12:48 PM
This couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. He was truly one of the kindest, most trust worthy, easiest going people I've ever met. Very smart and witty as well. Godspeed old friend. It won't be the same around here without you.

RightTurn
03-13-10, 12:48 PM
God bless you, JD. We'll miss you around here.

hueterm
03-13-10, 12:53 PM
How did you hear, Chad?

RightTurn
03-13-10, 12:54 PM
I believe JD's relative notified Jesda, Hueterm.

fierodough
03-13-10, 12:59 PM
Wow... I never got to meet the guy, sad to see one of our own go like that. RIP buddy...

Something eerie... EXACT same crash in Ottawa Ontario a few months ago... No one knows how it happened. Roads were clear, no traffic, driver was not intoxicated... Seems to be the same in this case..

http://www.ottawasun.com/news/ottawa/2009/05/14/9454286.html

itschrome
03-13-10, 01:01 PM
wow, that sucks. I didn't know him beyond his posts but he was definitely an asset to the site and will be missed. I hope his family and friends are doing well.

On a 2nd note man there are some jerks on those new sites..

hueterm
03-13-10, 01:02 PM
That is so terrible -- for it to be over so young. Hopefully he didn't suffer..

Do they know how it happened? Had he been drinking? Were the roads bad? The articles only say it was a high speed crash....

hueterm
03-13-10, 01:03 PM
On a 2nd note man there are some jerks on those new sites..

Yeah, some were real tools....their comments aren't needed....

derrty_deville
03-13-10, 01:15 PM
Only met him a couple times. John was always a blast to be around. I was fourtunate enough to share a ride through chicago with him. It snowed and we were in the beater Isuzu with two working brakes and one speaker. Still cranked the radio and had a good time. We lost a fellow junkie. I miss the guy.

Thanks for the text Chad.

gary88
03-13-10, 01:18 PM
I'm glad I got to meet him a couple of times, an incredibly nice and smart guy who will be missed greatly by many. RIP :(

c5 rv
03-13-10, 01:24 PM
Prayers for his family and friends.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-13-10, 01:31 PM
I'll never forget the time he raced his dad's Econoline at the track. That was awesome.
5qS11NrDgz8

V-Eight
03-13-10, 01:31 PM
OMG, I can't believe this. You will be missed my friend, RIP

gdwriter
03-13-10, 01:46 PM
I'll never forget the time he raced his dad's Econoline at the track. That was awesome.I wish I could have seen that in person. That tells you just what a fun, car-crazy guy JD was. What did he race against?

MacMuse
03-13-10, 01:58 PM
Brief story from local paper...

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=365468

My condolences to JD's family.

I met JD at the last two Chicago area gatherings in addition to developing a great respect for him through his postings here. JD was a fine young man who clearly appreciated his opportunities to meet and share experiences with a variety of people - a trait sorely needed in every generation.

May he rest in peace.

Submariner409
03-13-10, 02:03 PM
This is bad, sad news.

Karen and I offer our deepest sympathy and condolences to his family and friends.

JD was a good Forum member and contributor. Why do the nice guys always finish last ?

97EldoCoupe
03-13-10, 02:04 PM
I didn't know JD very well at all, saw some of his posts and that's about it. As a fellow forum member, I hope he didn't feel any pain and I hope that he's in peace now. Someday, I have no doubts, that we will all be reunited.

Rest peacefully JD.

JimmyH
03-13-10, 03:05 PM
I am just floored. I don't know what to say or think. I did not know JD real well, but I did have plenty of conversations with him at meets. Including one of a personal nature. But I never saw this coming.

There are alot of mods here who are going to be watching this thread folks. Let's please keep all posts in honor and memory of him. This is not the place to discuss the accident or make any conjecture.

Rodya234
03-13-10, 03:33 PM
I'm absolutely shocked to hear this. I never met JD in person, and I'm really sad that I didn't get the chance. When I signed up for this forum, he was the first person to welcome me, and I really appreciated that. He was a really cool, really smart, very nice guy. He will be missed!

R.I.P. Friend, my thoughts and prayers are with your family.

gdwriter
03-13-10, 03:34 PM
I had the privilege of driving JD's Brougham back in August, and he got to drive my Seville (thread here (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-forums-lounge-member-introductions/178886-quick-impressions-00-regal-gs-90-a.html)). Our two Cadillacs were so different, but we really enjoyed trying them out. I think Jesda said it best about the Brougham: a majestic cruiser. And it was. It actually drove much tighter than I expected; this was not a sloppy, floaty boat. And JD had it detailed to perfection. What a nice car.

JimmyH
03-13-10, 03:48 PM
Jd definitely took pride in his ride.

codewize
03-13-10, 04:07 PM
Wow, I don't know what to say. RIP our friend. You'll be missed.

ben.gators
03-13-10, 04:33 PM
OMG, he was so young, what an early and regrettable end for the life of a young fellow who can have a great future. RIP my friend....

eyekandyboats.inc
03-13-10, 04:59 PM
My prayers go out to his family! wow. :(
i was dumb-founded when i saw the picture of his car ruined

slk230mb
03-13-10, 05:14 PM
RIP

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

Kick94sts
03-13-10, 05:20 PM
Wow I didn't personally know him but he seemed like a great guy, I loved his car too. Him and his family will be in my prayers.

JimmyH
03-13-10, 05:22 PM
He was a class act and very mature for his age.

orconn
03-13-10, 05:22 PM
It is always sad when we lose someone we have known, and it is especially sad when that person is so young. I know he will be missed on the forum, and especially by his close friends and family. My sincerest condolences to his loved ones as they mourn his passing. May his sole rest in peace.

Nutz
03-13-10, 05:52 PM
Those that knew him in person as family or friends, be proud, for you are the lucky ones that got to meet a great person up close. May the sunshine that he has created for 20 years shine bright over the darkness of his tragic departure.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-13-10, 05:59 PM
UPbozLRU3so

This song rings especially true to me now. Shine A Light- The Rolling Stones, 1972.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-13-10, 06:09 PM
I got funeral information from his sister:

Julie Katrenak March 13 at 4:07pm:
The wake will be at Adams-Winterfield & Sullivan Funeral Home on Wednesday from 3 pm to 9 pm. In lieu of flowers, memorial to Boy Scouts of America, Friends of Scouting, Three Fires Council, Downers Grove North High Music Boosters, or Woodridge Organization of Music Parents at Jefferson Jr. High School, Woodridge School District 68, appreciated.

Nutz
03-13-10, 06:17 PM
Seems rather fitting that he will enter into eternal rest on one of the biggest party days of the year.

JimmyH
03-13-10, 06:22 PM
I will definitely be at the funeral. Thanks for letting us know the details Chad. I don't know if I will go to the wake. I generally don't go to wakes, because they are typically too emotional for me. If the wake is Wed, I assume the service will be Thursday morning? Any details on that? Or is it a private service?

Michelle and I were looking into getting, or making, a floral arrangement of a Cadillac Crest and Wreath. But if they don't want flowers, I guess I will skip it.

Ranger
03-13-10, 06:24 PM
My God! I'm still getting over the shock of reading this. I thought the thread title was a joke. I wish it was. I'm sitting here at work with tears in my eyes. To damn young. My condolences to his family. Rest in peace my friend.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-13-10, 06:40 PM
I'd be totally down for a Cadillac Crest & Wreath for the wake, but if they don't want flowers, we shouldn't. Maybe we could have one made by the summer meet and give it to his parents?

No info on the funeral, everything I heard from Julie is what I posted.

c5 rv
03-13-10, 06:50 PM
How about a group donation to one of the memorial funds listed?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-13-10, 06:53 PM
Yeah, probably the best idea. Which one?

MacMuse
03-13-10, 06:54 PM
I wish I knew he was involved in Scouts.

Can't do the funeral, but I'd like to stop by the wake Wednesday evening for at least a few minutes. Sometime between 6:30-8:00. Anyone interested in stopping by around the same time?

JimmyH
03-13-10, 07:00 PM
I think some have paypalled flower money to Nicky. Perhaps she should be the caretaker and donate all the money to the funds. If she is comfortable with that. If so, I will send some money. I am sure she will chime in on this thread eventually.

MacMuse
03-13-10, 07:03 PM
Friends of Scouting (https://www.kintera.org/site/apps/ka/sd/donor.asp?c=iwKWJ9NXJxF&b=407757&en=fjKKI6OJI8LTL3NFIlL4KiPQJcJNJZMFJiK2KgNPIlK9E) is the fundraising/charity portion of Scouting. That previous link is from the Three Fires Council page, so it probably gives them credit for the donation and would be the best option for a memorial gift. Three Fires Council supervises Boy Scouts in this area. Both my sons are Eagle Scouts from this council.

Has anyone made sure Sal knows about this?

JimmyH
03-13-10, 07:04 PM
Sal has been MIA the last few days. I emailed him about some of the matters in the feedback forum, and have not heard from him since.
I am sure he would like to know since he met JD at the last meet.

Ranger
03-13-10, 07:09 PM
Personally, I would give the money to his family for "Family wishes". They can donate it where they want or use it for the expenses. Dieing ain't cheap.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-13-10, 07:21 PM
I just sent Sal a text.

Jesda
03-13-10, 07:25 PM
I just got a phone call from Eileen, JD's aunt. She said his mother wanted to write us a thank you card for our support but she could barely contain her grief enough to pick up a pen. She said the family never believed in spending money on flowers and encouraged us to make a donation. I told her all of us here loved him and are keeping his family in our thoughts/prayers.

hueterm
03-13-10, 07:34 PM
How awful for her....I'd never even met him, but it just rips you up to hear that...

Lord Cadillac
03-13-10, 07:47 PM
Chad, I have text messaging turned off on my iPhone... I received an email from JimmyH that brought me here.. This is such terrible news.. JD seemed like a great guy to me.. I only knew him personally for the couple of days I was in Chicago for the auto show... I really don't know what else to say.. I wish he would have figured out another way to deal with whatever his issues were..

Let me know how you guys feel about setting up a memorial page for him on this site..

Sal C.

hueterm
03-13-10, 07:50 PM
That would be very nice. Once it's done, maybe Jesda can let his family know how to view it.

Brizzal
03-13-10, 08:13 PM
This is very sad to hear.... I heard from Sal.

I have talked to JD a few times before his 95 deville was wrecked. Great guy! He will be missed!

96Fleetwood
03-13-10, 08:14 PM
This is a pure tragedy, my thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends. We had a good time meeting up several times for car shows last year... I will miss going to car shows with him this spring/summer :( RIP JD.

MacMuse
03-13-10, 08:39 PM
Could a mod drop a link in the Fleetwood forum to direct people here? Not everyone that encountered JD in the regular areas may frequent this forum.

Ranger
03-13-10, 08:56 PM
Done

I assume you meant the Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum

LS1Mike
03-13-10, 09:15 PM
Wow, sad to hear. Such a young guy. Even thought I didn't ever get to me him always enjoyed his posts on here.
RIP. Prayers for his family.

Boombotz
03-13-10, 09:58 PM
My Condolences are to his friends and family, RIP JD.
Plus 1 on the memorial page.

Domino1968
03-13-10, 10:03 PM
A very sad day for the forum. My condolences and prayers go out to all family and friends.

R.I.P.

thebigjimsho
03-13-10, 10:10 PM
I've always admired that young man. He'll be missed...

Rolex
03-13-10, 11:13 PM
This is terrible and tragic news. I'm very sad to hear about this untimely death. I will keep him and his family in my prayers. :sad:

97EldoCoupe
03-13-10, 11:17 PM
If a fund gets set up for contributions to JD's family, to allow them to decide what to do with the money (i.e. funeral costs, Scouts, etc.) - I will donate the profits from one stud kit to this fund. I am in a real pickle right now with some legal issues regarding the events of last night so money is going to be really tight. I will do what I can. If things go ok I will donate the entire sale price of one Northstar stud kit to this fund. People need to stick together (all of us forum members) and help. I don't know how his family is financially set- they may be in need of help immediately. So I suggest we don't delay.

How soon can some type of fund be set up? Someone we can all trust to hold the money for JD's family. Someone with a paypal account. Anyone? Chad?

JimmyH
03-13-10, 11:22 PM
Waiting for CadillacGurl to chime in on being caretaker of the funds.

Stingroo
03-13-10, 11:24 PM
Yeah. Chad would be good. I can't believe he's gone. It's ridiculous. :( I saw it on Jesda's facebook when I went to add him, and I was like "NO WAY!"

Seeing the pictures doesn't make it any better. I didn't really know him, but I looked up to him as a pretty knowledgeable person and he seemed like a good friend. RIP John, you will be missed.

ga_etc
03-14-10, 12:03 AM
I am shocked by this news. I also only knew him from his posts on here, but he always came off as a great guy. I feel terrible for him family and friends and wish them all the best in this time of sorrow. I know words are empty, but my greatest condolences are still there. RIP JD. I can only hope you are in a far better place.

The Tony Show
03-14-10, 12:26 AM
Everyone who'd like to, please set this image as your signature. The IMG code is http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=56633&stc=1&d=1268542555

RightTurn
03-14-10, 12:33 AM
Very nice, Tony. Thanks.

GizmoQ
03-14-10, 12:43 AM
We had some great conversations over the last few years that I've known him. He will be missed.
RIP

Aron9000
03-14-10, 03:09 AM
I really wish I had met JD in person. He was such a nice guy on this forum, a true class act. Wise beyond his years as well, I had no idea he was so young until this thread. I know words sometimes sound hollow, but I really do give my deepest sympathies for his friends and family.

97EldoCoupe
03-14-10, 03:16 AM
I read quite a few of his posts and he knew a lot about cars.

ryannel2003
03-14-10, 03:36 AM
I never knew JD but he seemed like such a great guy. I saw the news on Chad's Facebook and I was in shock but I really wasn't sure it was him until I came on here tonight. It's hard to believe that somebody the same age as me passed away, and in such a horrible way. RIP JD.

chatterbox
03-14-10, 03:49 AM
Hey everyone I just joined here to post this, thank you for all of your support and prayers. I am sure we are all feeling them. By the way, I was a friend of JD's, I worked with him and was someone who he could talk to any time of the day about anything. I know he loved all of you and that you were his second family. My name is Brittany, and because I'm looking for some way to get past this, would it be ok if I lurked around here for a while?

Jesda
03-14-10, 04:00 AM
Glad to have you! Put your feet up and stick around, Brittany.

greencadillacmatt
03-14-10, 04:03 AM
I don't even know what to say. I've read so many of his excellent posts. He's even responded to a few of mine. He was a great person, and we will all truly miss him. Good Luck JD. Rest In Peace.

Nutz
03-14-10, 04:32 AM
Welcome brittany, please feel at home. We too have many thoughts we can only hope to put into words.

maeng9981
03-14-10, 04:39 AM
I remember when I was getting some good help from him to figure out where the random noise was coming from. I have never seen him in real life but I read lots of his posts and all of those were helpful, enjoyable, and informative.

RIP to the fellow member. You'll be missed.....

thebigjimsho
03-14-10, 05:11 AM
Hey everyone I just joined here to post this, thank you for all of your support and prayers. I am sure we are all feeling them. By the way, I was a friend of JD's, I worked with him and was someone who he could talk to any time of the day about anything. I know he loved all of you and that you were his second family. My name is Brittany, and because I'm looking for some way to get past this, would it be ok if I lurked around here for a while?
It's always nice to know people outside our circle who felt the same way about him. Thanks for taking the time to post, Brittany! Lurk as long as you like...

eldorado99
03-14-10, 05:18 AM
Wow... I can't believe it... I didn't know you beyond your posts online, but you seemed like a very intelligent mature guy. Everyone goes some time, but it is sure sad when someone goes as young as you did. Rest in Peace John.

gdwriter
03-14-10, 05:35 AM
Hey everyone I just joined here to post this, thank you for all of your support and prayers. I am sure we are all feeling them. By the way, I was a friend of JD's, I worked with him and was someone who he could talk to any time of the day about anything. I know he loved all of you and that you were his second family. My name is Brittany, and because I'm looking for some way to get past this, would it be ok if I lurked around here for a while?Hang around here as long as you'd like, Brittany. As you can see, we loved JD as much he loved us. I'm a little choked up (again) reading that we were his second family. It was an honor to have him with us, and whether we knew him in person or just online, we're going to miss him.

Lord Cadillac
03-14-10, 08:33 AM
You're very welcome to stay as long as you like, Brittany..

Thank you, Tony, for the signature image. I'd like to place that image at the top of our homepage for awhile - but I want to link it to a memorial that we create. At some point today, I'll set something up. If anyone has any input on what should be included in the memorial, please PM it to me or use the Contact link at the bottom of this page...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-14-10, 10:14 AM
Welcome Brittany, good to have someone from his "other life" here to share stories and reflect in his life. :)

caddeville89
03-14-10, 10:37 AM
Damn! Caught sight of the signatures and found this post. What a tragedy. My prayers go to his friends and family.

JimmyH
03-14-10, 01:44 PM
Welcome Brittany. One of the great things about this forum is what a melting pot it is. Many people here don't even own cadillacs :)

gdwriter
03-14-10, 02:18 PM
Could a mod drop a link in the Fleetwood forum to direct people here? Not everyone that encountered JD in the regular areas may frequent this forum.

Done

I assume you meant the Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD ForumSince he had the Brougham, I figured he spent a good deal of time over in the RWD section, so I basically cut and pasted what Ranger put in the FWD section and created a referral thread over there.

MacMuse
03-14-10, 02:25 PM
This got much more difficult for me after seeing his Boy Scout & music background. I have two sons, one year older & one year younger than JD - both Eagle Scouts from the same Boy Scout Council & musicians.

RightTurn
03-14-10, 02:26 PM

Welcome, Brittany. Many of us are feeling the same as you...what a terrible loss.

Ranger
03-14-10, 02:32 PM
My name is Brittany, and because I'm looking for some way to get past this, would it be ok if I lurked around here for a while?
Of coarse you can and maybe you can help us get past this as well. I just saw him last month at the meet. I still have a hard time believing this.

hueterm
03-14-10, 02:35 PM
Seeing the Mark VII in that banner, and then seeing it in the photos in the newspaper articles is really hard...

BTW, it looks like the obit has shown up on Legacy.com -- just FYI if anyone wants to post....

MacMuse
03-14-10, 02:39 PM
The Chicago Tribune listing (which is hosted at legacy.com)...

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/chicagotribune/obituary.aspx?n=john-david-katrenak&pid=140698410

mjs182004
03-14-10, 02:58 PM
Wow, this makes me sad. It felt like just the other day everything was fine, talking on the forums and what not. I personally did not know him, but I don't like seeing this stuff. My condolences to the Family and Friends, and may he Rest in Peace:sorry:

97EldoCoupe
03-14-10, 04:25 PM
I say we get started on that fund to help JD's family out in this time of sorrow. Is Chad hanging around? I think he would be the best one to take care of the donations and pass it on to his JD's family. We have a lot of members here on the forums, a small donation from as many members as possible would go a very long way for a greiving family. If they aren't in serious need it can go to the Boy Scouts in JD's name.

Say we have 1,000 members that post on a very regular basis. Even $5 from each of us will do a lot. Many of us are paid members of the forums- let's dig a bit deeper and get this going. If JD considered us family, even though I've never met him, let's make a difference and help his.

I say make the amounts anonymous, but see if we can get a fair sum together.

A forum that would do this in honor of the loss of one of its members, I am very, very proud to be a part of.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-14-10, 04:34 PM
Nicki volunteered to be the head of the donation station, plus she lives right near there....I'm 7 hours north. I'm down for volunteering a little money though.

97EldoCoupe
03-14-10, 04:39 PM
OK is there an official email address to send paypal payments to?

Sal can you create a link somewhere to contribute to this?

gdwriter
03-14-10, 05:00 PM
I also like the idea of making a group donation to the Scouts, and I'm assuming the money I sent to Nicki for flowers originally has gone into that pool. Like JD, I was a Scout (many years ago); they do good work, and I'm sure his Scout leaders and friends there helped shape JD into the friend we knew and loved.

Jesda has been in direct contact with one of JD's aunts, and the funeral expenses are all covered. JD's co-workers have been very generous.

gdwriter
03-14-10, 05:09 PM
OK is there an official email address to send paypal payments to?

Sal can you create a link somewhere to contribute to this?Nicki's (CadillacGurl) PayPal is soccerstr7@zoominternet.net

Just include a message that you're making a memorial gift for JD.

Nicki, I hope it is OK that I posted this. If it's not, please just tell Sal or one of the other mods, and they can delete this post.

77CDV
03-14-10, 05:14 PM
The Chicago Tribune listing (which is hosted at legacy.com)...

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/chicagotribune/obituary.aspx?n=john-david-katrenak&pid=140698410

Thanks for that, Mac. I'm in utter shock and disbelief. Twenty is just way too young to die. My condolences to his family, and to Chad, Jesda, and the rest of the Midwest Crew who were priveleged to know him personally. He will be sorely missed.

orconn
03-14-10, 05:17 PM
If a donation to Scouting is the agreed recipient of a group donation from those of us at the Cadillac Forum, I would suggest making it in John's name to his local Boy Scout Council. I was an Assistant Scout Leader for many years. I am proud to say that I helped in preparing many boys to achieve Eagle Scout rank. My son was one of those boys and I credit Scouting with teaching him that the top of a ladder can be achieved by climbing one rung after another. Perhaps our tragic loss of our young friend John can benefit boys and young men as they prepare for life as young adults.

Please let me know where I can send my contribution to JD's memorial fund.

hueterm
03-14-10, 05:18 PM
Sent...I'm OK w/any of the charities listed, or just to the family -- however the majority decides.

77CDV
03-14-10, 05:20 PM
Nicki's (CadillacGurl) PayPal is soccerstr7@zoominternet.net

Just include a message that you're making a memorial gift for JD.

Nicki, I hope it is OK that I posted this. If it's not, please just tell Sal or one of the other mods, and they can delete this post.

Thanks, Gary.

gdwriter
03-14-10, 05:27 PM
JD's family gave information about his local Scout council, so our memorial gift will go there. I'm sure there will be people there who remember JD.

97EldoCoupe
03-14-10, 06:03 PM
I will make my donation soon. Company just came over so I'll hang out with them for a while.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-14-10, 06:07 PM
I was a scout from the 5th to 7th grade as well, made it to second class.

Ranger
03-14-10, 06:08 PM
Donation sent

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-14-10, 06:53 PM
Money sent.

CadillacGurl
03-14-10, 07:03 PM
Hey guys,
I just wanted to let know so far we have over $200 to donate to the Boy Scouts of America in Memory of JD (dirty cheap fleetwood). For those who still want to donate, you can paypal the money here: soccerstr7@zoominternet.net

billc83
03-14-10, 07:10 PM
I have no words to express the feelings I have. I knew him as Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood, and though I only knew JD through technology and these forums, I always smiled when I saw his avatar and the "Redneck With Class" custom user title.

I had to look over some of his old posts. He certainly knew his cars and kept his rides pampered. From all your descriptions I'm sure he was a great guy and will be missed by all.

It's never easy to lose someone. My deepest sympathies and condolences to his family and friends.

tdyguy2k
03-14-10, 07:20 PM
What a tragic loss. I was just catching up on a thread he started in the current issues forum when I saw the banner and found this thread. Although I never met him, I enjoyed reading the posts. He was very insightful, and will be missed. Donation sent. RIP.

JimmyH
03-14-10, 07:25 PM
Thanks to all of you who have made donations. I am sure his family will be honored.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-14-10, 07:26 PM
Nik, it was Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood. No "Y" in Dirt.

JD was a lot like me. First of all, he was young, he liked the older, bigger Cadillacs, he liked the same sort of music I did, both of us liked a lot of the same tv shows and stuff, we got along real well. I get the feeling he was the kinda guy I could have been real good friends with if we lived closer.

hueterm
03-14-10, 07:28 PM
I bet he would have liked that...!

JimmyH
03-14-10, 07:37 PM
He was a 32-regular. The kind of guy who could fit in anywhere.

gdwriter
03-14-10, 08:30 PM
I get the feeling he was the kinda guy I could have been real good friends with if we lived closer.I agree. The funny thing is, I considered JD a good friend. And JD was just one of the good friends I have here. This is a place where I truly feel I belong. That's no small thing.

Because my family is a bit scattered around the country, and I now live far away from my closest friends, geography has never been a limitation for me. Friends are friends, wherever you are. Fortunately, technology has made it much easier to get around the distance. And when we get to see each other in person (as is the case with my friend Louis that I'm visiting in Montreal; it's been 4 1/2 years since we last saw each other), we just pick up where we left off.

Sevillian273
03-14-10, 08:43 PM
Just caught wind of this from someone's sig.. headed straight to the lounge. Unbelievable. Hueterm nailed it - Seeing all the pictures of that Lincoln over the last year and then seeing those news articles is quite the shock... Rest in peace dude.

hueterm
03-14-10, 08:44 PM
I agree. The funny thing is, I considered JD a good friend. And JD was just one of the good friends I have here.

Because my family is a bit scattered around the country, and I now live far away from my closest friends, geography has never been a limitation for me. Friends are friends, wherever you are. Fortunately, technology has made it much easier to get around the distance. And when we get to see each other in person (as is the case with my friend Louis that I'm visiting in Montreal; it's been 4 1/2 years since we last saw each other), we just pick up where we left off.

Very well said -- I feel the same way. I've made friends here in NW Arkansas, but my oldest and closest are spread out across the Midwest.

Have you been to Montreal before, Gary? I'm really considering a road trip to there and Quebec City -- let me know how you like it. It's totally sad that I took French all through high school, I got my Bachelor's in it in 1995, and I've never been to either.....

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-14-10, 08:47 PM
I took French in middle school. It was "le suck".

hueterm
03-14-10, 08:50 PM
Mais non.....!!

77CDV
03-14-10, 09:10 PM
I took French in middle school. It was "le suck".

I believe that's "le sucage".:canttalk:

GizmoQ
03-14-10, 09:32 PM
Sent

bicentennialcadillac
03-14-10, 09:35 PM
Terrible news. I never met this man, but he kept a damn fine car.

Condolences to those who knew him far better than I.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-14-10, 09:43 PM
I'm kinda sad I never got to see that Brougham of his. He brought it to the summer meet, but me, being the big douche I am, did not attend.

c5 rv
03-14-10, 10:18 PM
How can we send $$ if we don't use paypal?

MacMuse
03-14-10, 10:24 PM
I did the paypal thing, also.

Chad - here's the Brougham in a pose down with the other cars that attended the Summer '09 meet.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b215/MacMuse/CAR/CHGMeet-Day2_3.jpg

Left to right - JD, GizmoQ, MacMuse, somebodys rental junk (sorry, I forgot who that was), JimmyH. And I believe Ranger & GDWriter ended up on the other side of JD.

MacMuse
03-14-10, 10:31 PM
How can we send $$ if we don't use paypal?

You can use the 'Donate to FOS' link in the left margin at the Three Fires Council site (http://www.threefirescouncil.org/). Three Fires is the local Boy Scout council for this area. Be sure to mention JD's real info - for example...

in memory of John David Katrenak of Woodridge, IL.

'FOS' stands for Friends of Scouting.

77CDV
03-14-10, 10:35 PM
I'm kinda sad I never got to see that Brougham of his. He brought it to the summer meet, but me, being the big douche I am, did not attend.

Think of it this way. You got to meet the man himself many a time and call him friend. Hopefully, when the family is ready, his Brougham will pass to someone who will care for it with the same passion he had. So, who knows? You may yet see it.

Night Wolf
03-14-10, 10:43 PM
His family will be in kept in my prayers. These events remind us just how fragile life is and to cherish every moment as you never know when it'll be your last. I know personally it has caused myself to ask the question "Is it worth it?" when arguing/upset at friends/family in the big picture.

I never met him in person, but talked quite a bit on the forums. We've sent many messages back and fourth about the Isuzu and Lincoln.

Anyone know more information as to the cause? From reading some of the replies it sounds like it may not have been an accident, unless I misunderstood.

http://www.gotquestions.org/jesus-only-way.html

CadillacGurl
03-14-10, 11:20 PM
Update: over $450 donated so far :)

RightTurn
03-14-10, 11:27 PM
Anyone know more information as to the cause?

No. And we are not speculating on that here. Thanks.

RightTurn
03-14-10, 11:28 PM

That's wonderful, Nik. The CF guys are a great bunch. :heart:

Sevillian273
03-14-10, 11:32 PM
His family will be in kept in my prayers. These events remind us just how fragile life is and to cherish every moment as you never know when it'll be your last. I know personally it has caused myself to ask the question "Is it worth it?" when arguing/upset at friends/family in the big picture.

I never met him in person, but talked quite a bit on the forums. We've sent many messages back and fourth about the Isuzu and Lincoln.

Anyone know more information as to the cause? From reading some of the replies it sounds like it may not have been an accident, unless I misunderstood.

Suicide happens when pain exceeds resources for coping with pain. Death is no matter for the dead, it is those who are still living that must bear the burden of death.

EDIT:

Understood. My apologies.

Night Wolf
03-14-10, 11:38 PM
Suicide happens when pain exceeds resources for coping with pain. Death is no matter for the dead, it is those who are still living that must bear the burden of death.

I understand, and have felt similar in my past. Some of the comments pointed in that direction. Without being in his place, one can never fully understand what that person is feeling, going thru and experiencing.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-14-10, 11:43 PM
Only one person will ever know the cause of this and he's dead. No more speculation, please.

hueterm
03-14-10, 11:46 PM

That's great Nicki -- keep us posted!

77CDV
03-14-10, 11:56 PM

Well said.

This piece has been running through my head since I first read this terrible news, and as it's time for Compline....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDRoL7ziDP4

GizmoQ
03-15-10, 12:19 AM

Chad - here's the Brougham in a pose down with the other cars that attended the Summer '09 meet.

Left to right - JD, GizmoQ, MacMuse, somebodys rental junk (sorry, I forgot who that was), JimmyH. And I believe Ranger & GDWriter ended up on the other side of JD.

I love that picture. Quelili hasn't glistened like that since. A few minutes after it was taken we moved our cars around to get some group shots and JD and I joked about the V guys not wanting me to get too close. Luckily Elias showed up and we had the new (PRODUCTION Vs) against the old (handcrafted V-specs) to admire.

chatterbox
03-15-10, 12:19 AM
Thank you to everyone for the donations, I know that his family will appreciate it.

I knew JD from work, he was the first one to welcome me into the younger people group. I got many rides in his Lincoln, we joked and called it his pimp mobile and I always said he needed a pimp cane or hat. He was indeed a great guy. Who all is going to try to make it to the services? I saw the information had been posted.

And as for the not owning a Cadillac or Lincoln, I am one of those, I own a 2001 Ford Focus ZX3, and MAN did JD give me and my boyfriend a hard time about driving a focus.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-15-10, 12:26 AM
Think of it this way. You got to meet the man himself many a time and call him friend. Hopefully, when the family is ready, his Brougham will pass to someone who will care for it with the same passion he had. So, who knows? You may yet see it.

I hope someone here buys it and preserves it as well as JD did. I'd buy it but....no space/money and I want to save up and move out. I'd really hate to see it fall into disregard though.

hueterm
03-15-10, 12:26 AM

I love that picture of his Brougham -- the fact that it has the old school hinged hood, instead of the hydraulic struts you see now...

77CDV
03-15-10, 12:27 AM
Now, now, some of my best friends owned Focuses. Until they experienced a Cadillac. :D

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-15-10, 12:31 AM
Has anyone in the area seen or heard any updated stories on the news?

gdwriter
03-15-10, 12:50 AM
Has anyone in the area seen or heard any updated stories on the news?I haven't, and I've looked.

Brittany, I will be at both the wake and the service. Not sure what time I will be at the wake, because I will need to get a ride from Nicki or Jesda.

gdwriter
03-15-10, 12:53 AM
I hope someone here buys it and preserves it as well as JD did. I'd buy it but....no space/money and I want to save up and move out. I'd really hate to see it fall into disregard though.If his family doesn't keep it, I expect they will be very selective in who is allowed to buy it.

If his mother can handle it, I kind of hope his aunt brings the Brougham out for the services. His love for his cars was very much part of who JD was. That lovely car is a tangible part of him we still have with us.

CadillacGurl
03-15-10, 12:54 AM
I can either go to the wake at 3PM since I work at 4PM or go after work which is after 8PM

77CDV
03-15-10, 12:54 AM
^Spoken like a man who understands.

iowasevillests
03-15-10, 12:58 AM
Wow.....I don't log in for a couple days and I see this bomb on the page. My deepest sympathy goes out to all, I never had the pleasure of meeting him but from all his posts and the way he took care of his car I'm pretty sure we would've gotten along just fine. Once again my sympathies goes out to all who had the joys of being touched in some way by JD's too short life, you will be missed.

Donation sent

MacMuse
03-15-10, 12:58 AM
Has anyone in the area seen or heard any updated stories on the news?

No, haven't seen any updates. But I would like to add a couple thoughts.

I drove by the scene, and saw a couple of his friends visiting. Most Interesting part of that is you must park about a quarter mile away since it's such a busy street and interchange.

But I prefer to remember the brief times I was around JD, especially last summer's gathering at Volo Museum. I was so impressed with his knowledge of these fine cars at his very young age. I freely admit to knowing little about car technology, but I did recognize his real knowledge. Let's stay focused on those great memories.

gdwriter
03-15-10, 12:59 AM
And as for the not owning a Cadillac or Lincoln, I am one of those, I own a 2001 Ford Focus ZX3, and MAN did JD give me and my boyfriend a hard time about driving a focus.Nobody's perfect, Brittany. :histeric:

And it doesn't surprise me a bit that JD would give you a hard time about your wheels. We car guys can be pretty merciless (I have one friend who used to have the worst taste in cars, and I was always ragging on him for it). You could do worse than a Focus. At least you don't drive a Kia or a Dodge Caliber.

MacMuse
03-15-10, 01:05 AM
because I will need to get a ride from Nicki or Jesda.

Keep me in the loop on timing - I'd like to go to the wake. Evening preferred, anytime after 6:30 probably. Able to do some chauffering as well if needed.

MacMuse
03-15-10, 01:08 AM
I kind of hope his aunt brings the Brougham out ...

Does anyone in the family know where to find all the dryer sheets he stuffed in the car for winter storage animal control? :)

MacMuse
03-15-10, 01:17 AM
Another shot of JD's ride from last summer, in fine show condition among his LaSalle club & CadillacForums friends. Downtown Downers Grove for this shot, where we enjoyed the weekly downtown car show on 'tail fin night'.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b215/MacMuse/CAR/CHGMeetDay1-1.jpg

hueterm
03-15-10, 01:25 AM
I haven't seen any news updates...I guess in Chicago, by the time they released his identity, they'd moved on to newer stories.............

No loss, considering the multitude of tools that posted nasty comments on the story pages....

chatterbox
03-15-10, 01:34 AM
I will be at both the wake and the funeral. Not sure what time for the wake though. I know some of us are going to meet up from work for the wake. Btw...if anyone is into face to face introductions, please don't let anyone know i joined here. My boyfriend is afraid that with facebook and everything, I'm doing more damage than trying to move on. But I would love to meet some of you guys who can come out if it could be arranged. He talked about you guys a lot.

Nobody's perfect, Brittany. :histeric:

And it doesn't surprise me a bit that JD would give you a hard time about your wheels. We car guys can be pretty merciless (I have one friend who used to have the worst taste in cars, and I was always ragging on him for it). You could do worse than a Focus. At least you don't drive a Kia or a Dodge Caliber.

YES I HATE the Caliber. My ex drives one and BLECH. I think the thing that JD had the hardest time understanding is that we modify our Foci lol. My boyfriend actually auto crosses his.

gdwriter
03-15-10, 01:47 AM
Does anyone in the family know where to find all the dryer sheets he stuffed in the car for winter storage animal control? :)I had forgotten about that. Fortunately, the site's search function worked this time:

The original Bounce dryer sheets keep mice away. They don't like the smell. We have been using them for years in the garages and basements out on the farm, never had any mice. When I put my Brougham in for storage I spaced some in the engine bay (they like to nest on top of valve covers and eat wires), interior and trunk. I also put one near each of the wheels to keep them from climbing up in the first place.
I'm going to forward this information to Jesda since he's been in contact with JD's aunt; I think the Brougham is stored at her place.

Koooop
03-15-10, 02:10 AM
It's a real shock to drop into a part of the forum I rarely look at to find sad news like this. He seemed like a nice straight up young guy with his head on straight. He was fun to poke at, he took my BS and gave it right back! Good humor and good natured, he will be missed.

blue07cts
03-15-10, 02:16 AM
Wow I have been following this post but was so floored I only now realized I had not posted my condolences, i never met J.D. but his posts where always logical and very mature, in fact I had no idea he was my age until reading this thread. I can tell that he was a stand up guy though, when i first joined this forum not only was he one of the first to welcome me but he also sent me PM's to help me plan out my sched for the chicago meet and where we would all meet, even sent me his phone number to help with the planning and such, he will be missed, guys like JD are to few and far between.

Ranger
03-15-10, 02:39 AM
I plan on being at the wake. Probably between 6:00 & 7:00. Long drive down in the middle of rush hour.

ewill3rd
03-15-10, 07:42 AM
I'm not sure where I have been that I missed all this.
What a tragedy regardless of the circumstances.
Loss of life is sad, sadder when you are this young. To go before you have even had a chance to live...
God bless his soul and be with his family in their time of need. God bless all of you for your love and compassion for this man.
Amazing how many lives we touch and how much what happens to us really means to other people even when we may not realize it.

Bro-Ham
03-15-10, 08:49 AM
I'm very sorry to hear the news. My condolences to family and friends.

Sandy
03-15-10, 09:59 AM
I was away Sat. Nite & all day Sunday. Just caught up with the news.
This is horrible! JD was a really good guy, and never put anyone down on the site. I feel horrible. I'd guess it was a blow-out tire.

DopeStar 156
03-15-10, 10:51 AM
I just saw this now, that really sucks I always thought he was a nice guy and he was only 20......

One of the articles say it was a suicide?

Submariner409
03-15-10, 11:02 AM
Read Post #132

Sandy
03-15-10, 11:25 AM
Just caught that he took his own life. How sad. I wish - somehow - I coulda stopped that. If I was not so far away, I'd go to the funeral.

Florian
03-15-10, 12:08 PM
Rip, jd......

F

CadillacGurl
03-15-10, 12:35 PM
Donations are up to $700.

Please remember this thread is not to speculate on what happened that resulted in his death. Thank you.

K@ddiD@ddi
03-15-10, 01:00 PM
Rest In Peace Bro, i never met you, but you were loved by all and thats enough for me......

RightTurn
03-15-10, 01:09 PM
Donations are up to $700.

Please remember this thread is not to speculate on what happened that resulted in his death. Thank you.

:yeah:

Thanks for the update on the donations, Nik. That's a wonderful tribute to JD.

txbest1980
03-15-10, 01:19 PM
wow, i have too been gone for the weekend and just came accross this...words can not describe this tragic lose. RIP JD and my condolences go out to all his family and friends...

donation sent

gdwriter
03-15-10, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the update on the donations, Nik. That's a wonderful tribute to JD.I agree. The fact that so many of the contributors only knew JD from the site tells you a lot about how well he was liked.

It also says a lot about the caliber of the people here. My hat's off to all of you for your compassion and generosity.

AlBundy
03-15-10, 03:06 PM
Condolences to the family.

HAZZARDJOHN
03-15-10, 03:38 PM
Wow, I have just been reading all the posts. I was not with a computer all weekend. This is tragic, I never met him in person but I enjoyed his posts and he had great taste cars. My condolences.

cvettr/cts-v
03-15-10, 04:37 PM
Never met him but deepest condolances to his family and friends. Just sent a donation hope it is not too late.

jayoldschool
03-15-10, 05:51 PM
I'm in FL this week, so I haven't been on the net much. Very sad news. Thoughts and prayers go out to JD's family and friends.

Jason.

JimmyH
03-15-10, 07:05 PM
I haven't, and I've looked.

Brittany, I will be at both the wake and the service. Not sure what time I will be at the wake, because I will need to get a ride from Nicki or Jesda.

No you don't. I decided I am going to go to the wake too. I will manage.

$700 in donation. That's incredible. Lots of big hearts on this site.

97EldoCoupe
03-15-10, 07:42 PM
Donation sent.

pompste
03-15-10, 07:55 PM
GOD called you home so young, JD.
I truly enjoyed all the very knowledgeable posts you provided us here.

I know you`re in a better place now.Sooner or later we`ll all see each other again in heaven.

Rest in peace,JD.You are and will be missed by all the people whos lives you touched.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-15-10, 08:23 PM
I'm going to post some pictures I saw on Facebook of his friends visiting his crash site and doing a memorial. Warning, this may be a bit gruesome for some, to see where the car burned.

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs384.snc3/23498_1241922564615_1125859601_30623235_2901902_n. jpg
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs364.snc3/23498_1241922604616_1125859601_30623236_543213_n.j pg
http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs424.ash1/23498_1241922764620_1125859601_30623238_3990263_n. jpg

Those kids did a damn good job. They should be honored.

It also says a lot about the caliber of the people here. My hat's off to all of you for your compassion and generosity.

Was that pun intended? :)

I really hope someone from here can buy his Brougham and keep it as nice as he did. That's the last bit of him that we have to remember him by. I'd hate to see it fall into hands that will neglect it. I'd love to pick it up myself, but I have no money or space.

ShadowLvr400
03-15-10, 08:34 PM
Wow, that's uhm... RIP sir. Suddenly don't have the urge to drive as fast...

JimmyH
03-15-10, 08:40 PM
I am surprised they don't have energy absorbers there.

MacMuse
03-15-10, 08:50 PM
... I really hope someone from here can buy his Brougham and keep it as nice as he did. ...

I suspect someone from the local Cadillac & LaSalle club will show interest as well. Although his car may be a little too new in their eyes, but I believe he was active in the local chapter.

gdwriter
03-15-10, 08:50 PM
It's hard seeing the remains from the fire, but the memorial itself is beautiful. I notice they included pictures of both cars; nice touch.

MacMuse
03-15-10, 08:56 PM
I am surprised they don't have energy absorbers there.

It is an unusual setup (that you'll see on Wed., the funeral home is a mile or so east of this spot). It's a 3-way stop light on Ogden Ave, with the 3rd leg the southbound exit ramp from I-355 tollway. The support in the pics holds up the northbound lanes. You come down the ramp to the light, and go left or right on Ogden.

Perhaps "they" thought the absorbers took away too much of the sight lines for normal traffic, although I expect to see at least a few absorbers go up after this.

Another interesting note - the 3 story building in the left side of the first picture is the Illinois Tollway Authority headquarters - home of "they".

C0RSA1R
03-15-10, 08:58 PM
I am still beyond words at what has happened. JD was a fine young man. He will be sorely missed around here for quite some time.

Anima eius et animae omnium fidelium defunctorum per Dei misericordiam requiescant in pace.

May his soul and the souls of all the departed by God's mercy rest in peace.

RIP, buddy.

c5 rv
03-15-10, 09:05 PM
You can use the 'Donate to FOS' link in the left margin at the Three Fires Council site (http://www.threefirescouncil.org/). Three Fires is the local Boy Scout council for this area. Be sure to mention JD's real info - for example...

in memory of John David Katrenak of Woodridge, IL.

'FOS' stands for Friends of Scouting.

Thank you. Memorial gift sent.

hueterm
03-15-10, 10:05 PM
Sad pics -- those guys need to be careful not to get run down....

V-Eight
03-15-10, 10:28 PM
I am still beyond words at what has happened. JD was a fine young man. He will be sorely missed around here for quite some time.
]

RIP, buddy.

I've still got the image of the Mark against the wall burned into my mind.

hueterm
03-15-10, 10:43 PM
Some of JD's best threads:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/rwd-19xx-1984-deville-fleetwood-1985/161465-what-you-guys-think.html

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/rwd-19xx-1984-deville-fleetwood-1985/162459-beast-gone-im-back-cadillac.html

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-forums-lounge-member-introductions/171439-greetings-whiteman-afb-missouri-3.html

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-forums-lounge-member-introductions/173415-well-unexpected.html

DILLIGAF
03-15-10, 11:24 PM
This is so sad and I am so sorry for this loss.

To the family,I am so sorry for your loss,no words will of mine could ever ease your pain,just trust in Christ and look forward to the promise of being reunited on the other side.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-16-10, 12:33 AM
The thread when he bought the Lincoln was titled "Well, This Was Unexpected". Yeah, it certainly was old friend. It certainly was. It tears me up to see that car the day he bought it and then to think of what happened to it.

thebigjimsho
03-16-10, 01:09 AM
I couldn't care less about the car. It means nothing in itself. The symbol of it and what it meant to JD and the care he took in it, a relic, is more important. He may not have had many means, but the way he treated his vehicles says a ton about him. Whether the cars survive or rot away doesn't mean as much as how they were under his possession.

I admired him and his happiness in seemingly simple possessions. I won't pretend to know him, but I admired in what I did know of him...

gdwriter
03-16-10, 01:24 AM
Mike, thanks for posting "The Best of Dirt Cheap Fleetwood." I had forgotten that he ditched us on Sunday at the Chicago meet last year to go buy the Brougham. I had to zip through the thread about the Mark VII, though. Too hard seeing the before pictures having seen the after. Not so much about the car, but about its owner.

JD's cars were a big part of who he was. And Jim's right. He treated them right. I hope I can see the Brougham one last time this week. It's a tangible part of JD that's still here.

hueterm
03-16-10, 01:29 AM
There were others, but didn't have time to read all.

I'd forgotten that he'd had a '95 SDV that he really loved, but was t-boned.

gdwriter
03-16-10, 01:30 AM
I went to Notre Dame Basilica in Montreal today and lit a candle for JD. Although I'm Lutheran, JD was Catholic, so it still counts. Prayed for his friends and family. Talked to his spirit. Painful, but still cathartic. It's a four-day candle, so it will still be going through JD's wake and funeral.

http://www.gdwriter.com/IMG_0107.jpg

gdwriter
03-16-10, 01:35 AM
Sad pics -- those guys need to be careful not to get run down....They're on a median between the lanes of traffic, so they're OK.

77CDV
03-16-10, 04:03 AM
I really hope someone from here can buy his Brougham and keep it as nice as he did. That's the last bit of him that we have to remember him by. I'd hate to see it fall into hands that will neglect it. I'd love to pick it up myself, but I have no money or space.

I'm sure if or when his family decides to part with the car, we'll hear about it. I'm sure it's not really high on their list of things to do right now.

I suspect someone from the local Cadillac & LaSalle club will show interest as well. Although his car may be a little too new in their eyes, but I believe he was active in the local chapter.

I just checked my CLC international directory. I don't see JD listed. Regardless, if he hung around with the local CLC region, there are likely more than a few who would take that Brougham under their wing and keep it safe. I know I surely would.

It was funny. I took my 77 over to the mechanic this morning for her annual Spring cleaning (I'm anal about my cars, is that so wrong?). It was a stunning day here in SoCal, bright, sunny, warm, faultlessly clear blue sky. The car is still pretty clean from having been in a show this past Saturday, so she's looking all nice and shiny, and of course, I'm thinking about JD and how fabulous he kept his cars and how he would have enjoyed a long drive on a day like this. Switched on the radio and what should play? "I'm Already There" by Lonestar, right from the start. That's when I knew beyond doubt that JD's at peace. My thoughts have been lighter ever since.

Kingoftypos
03-16-10, 04:31 AM
My thoughts and prayers goes out to JD's family and friends. God Speed JD

KOT

Jesda
03-16-10, 06:03 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIyezThN-zQ

This was pretty cool. A video of John, Gary, Chad, and I driving Chad's S-class.

AJxtcman
03-16-10, 07:52 AM
We had a good time that weekend. He will be missed. Very Sad News :nono:

I'll never forget the time he raced his dad's Econoline at the track. That was awesome.
5qS11NrDgz8

CadillacCastle
03-16-10, 07:55 AM
This is so sad I have so many thoughts I don't know how to say it. He sure had a lot of friends. And he sure was tall with a lot of hair, it reminded me of when I was his age. He had just got to the age when he could really enjoy life. I wish I had met him in person. I read a lot of his posts. My condolences to his family. RIP JD

gdwriter
03-16-10, 10:43 AM
YouTube- Gary, Jesda and John test driving my 1999 Mercedes Benz S320 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIyezThN-zQ)

This was pretty cool. A video of John, Gary, Chad, and I driving Chad's S-class.Thanks for posting that; I remember it now.

lawfive
03-16-10, 01:13 PM
Very sorry to hear about this, via email from Sarah. I can't imagine the difficult time his family will have dealing with the pain and trying to understand why it happened.

CadillacGurl
03-17-10, 02:11 AM
Evening/ Morning guys,

Final Donation total: $965.58 ($50.00 is pending via e-check until the 18th though which is included in the total)

77CDV
03-17-10, 03:29 AM
Wow, nearly a grand! I knew we were a swell group, just never knew how much. We did him proud.

CadillacGurl
03-17-10, 10:43 AM
Well I'm proud to announce we made $1005.58 as of this morning. Thank you guys for all of your generous donations :)

Nutz
03-17-10, 11:10 AM
Very cool. That oughta really help the kids well. That kind of stuff is great father and son quality time. Thanks for providing us an opportunity to donate in his honor and representing the Cadillac family with the highest regard.

orconn
03-17-10, 11:23 AM
Thanks, Nikki, for taking the time to handle the funds for JD's memorial fund. I am sure it is much appreciated by all of JD's friends here at the Cadillac Forums.

hueterm
03-17-10, 12:25 PM
I'm glad we topped $1000 -- and also don't forget that some may have donated directly to the Boy Scouts.

Thanks Nicki!

gdwriter
03-17-10, 01:30 PM
That is great news. What a fine tribute to JD. Thanks again for taking care of this for us Nicki.

77CDV
03-17-10, 04:28 PM
Nicki, you're a goddess among women. Thanks for doing this for us.

Ranger
03-17-10, 04:39 PM
Yes, thanks Nik! :worship:

eldorado99
03-17-10, 09:18 PM
A well-deserved thank you is in order Nikki.

Thank-you!

iowasevillests
03-17-10, 09:31 PM
+1 on :worship: Nik, with her help we proved that this really is a great group of people I'm proud to be a member of, I wish it was better circumstances that brought us together but it is a worthy tribute for a great member!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-17-10, 10:13 PM
Wow, $1005?! Holy shit, nice job Caddy owners!! (collective pat on the back). Thanks again Nicki for taking care of this.

Destroyer
03-17-10, 11:22 PM
Pheww! Wow. I only read the first few posts and am shocked. Not much to say really. Only that he went way too soon, RIP.

CaddymanTom
03-18-10, 12:59 AM
I can not express my sadness for this tragedy! I grew up in Woodridge IL. I only knew him from the forum but I did know he loved his cars and was very knowledgable! My prayers and deepest sympathy to his family and friends> RIP

MacMuse
03-18-10, 11:10 AM
Yesterday's wake was extremely well attended. A wonderful number of JD's school friends were obviously in attendance. The funeral home ran several LCD picture frames throughout the facility, and one of them cycled through about 30 pictures taken by forum members featuring JD and his love of cars. JD's dad snagged a copy of drag strip run in the family van and it ran on the picture frame as well. Even Sal was in one shot!

I'm very proud to have represented CadillacForums at this event along with Ranger, Jesda, JimmyH and GDWriter. We spoke with JD's father and he expressed how appreciative the family is to hear about this side of JD's life.

I'll defer to others' more detailed summary of yesterday and today as Gary, Jesda and Jimmy are attending the funeral today and I'm sure will have more comments. And I bet we'll get to see a few new pictures, after all we did get something to eat! Perhaps it's time for a new thread to cover this part of the story.

minnesotamom
03-18-10, 11:46 AM
Hi..
Mostly I'm just a lurker since I upgraded to a newer car with less mechanical problems, but did want to say that I am very impressed by this group's rally of support for his family. It's such a tragic, tragic loss. As a mom who has lost a child, I know that one of the greatest comforts is knowing that your child has touched the lives of other people and that they won't be forgotten.

txbest1980
03-18-10, 04:42 PM
thanks Nikki for taking on the role of collector...

MacMuse, thanks for the details about the wake

gdwriter
03-18-10, 04:43 PM
Got through the funeral; it was a nicely done service, but very emotional. At the end, the cantor sang "Precious Lord, Take My Hand," a song I love that was very fitting.

I was one of the pallbearers; JD's Dad asked me last night. He wanted to include someone from the club, a part of JD's life that his Dad only knew through JD's stories. I thought it was a tremendous honor to represent all of you, and I tried to mention as many of you as I could remember in a whispered prayer as I helped take the casket to the hearse (a Cadillac; JD's Dad made sure of that).

There was a luncheon afterward where we got to meet the parents of a couple JD's friends who sat at our table. We also got to talk a bit more with his Dad, grandparents, aunts and uncles. He had a large extended family who loved him dearly.

I'm still terribly sad, yet feel like I'm starting to heal. But I'm really going to miss him.

hueterm
03-18-10, 04:51 PM
THX for the update. I'm so glad that there were some forum members who were able to attend.

Take care of yourself, and hope you have an uneventful trip back.........

JimmyH
03-18-10, 05:03 PM
The funeral procession was looooooonnnnnnnnngggggggggg......

I have never been a fan of them, but was amazing just to see the sheer numbers. On a couple of stretches, I could see the lead cars (that yellow Bumblebee Camaro in front helped :D) And they were way up there (I was near the back).

JimmyH
03-18-10, 05:07 PM
BTW, after the wake last night, Todd, Larry, Jesda, Gary and I went to get something to eat. While we were at the restaurant, there was this man walking past our table, and Todd leans over to me (I thought he was making a move on me for a second) and mouths "Bob Rohrman!" I looked over and said "Holy Crap!"

I went to wash my hands, and he was there in front me washing his hands. So I said "You're Bob Rohrman!"

He said "Yes I am, young man" (It always flatters me when someone calls me that)

I said "Hey, I bought a car from you once"

He said "Well, let me dry my hands, so I can shake your hand!"

He then asked me where I was from, I told him Gurnee area. He said "I have alot of dealers up there!" I said "I know!"

So he followed me back to the table and I introduced him to the others. He said "Well, maybe I just made 5 more car sales here!"

Very pleasurable, down to earth fellow. Kind of like JD. I think JD would have been proud.

MacMuse
03-18-10, 06:07 PM
... So he followed me back to the table and I introduced him to the others. He said "Well, maybe I just made 5 more car sales here!"

Except... just as Jimmy brought Mr. Rohrman back to our table I had just noticed on his website that he sells everything except GM.

But still, a local celebrity is still a local celebrity.

Ranger
03-18-10, 06:32 PM
Only locals would know this, so for those who don't Bob is one of those guys who does his own commercials and the local stations have plenty of them (and somewhat catchy) so he is as mentioned somewhat of a local celebrity.

tr's-cts
03-18-10, 06:34 PM
As usual a day late and a dollar short.

Just wanted to send my condolences. I've read a lot of his threads. Very interesting! I'll assume from his threads and the praise bestowed upon him here he was an intriguing man and will be greatly missed.

JD, you're in God's hands now.....rest in peace young man!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-18-10, 08:09 PM
Who's Bob Rohrman? Some big car dealer or something?

I'm glad to hear that the funeral was very well attended. That's the ultimate sign of respect to someone after they passed on. Think of the funeral size for Don Corleone in the end of Godfather Part I. Huge. I hope JD's was that big. I'm sorry I couldn't make it down, but I was there in spirit.

CadillacGurl
03-18-10, 08:28 PM
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs437.snc3/25139_1224328776698_1483350014_30522447_1282596_n. jpg
I got this prayer card when I went to wake. Sadly, I could only stay for about 5 minutes since I was on break at work. It was very crowded but still it showed how many people loved and cared for JD.

The funeral went smoothly, very emotional. There was not a dry eye in the house.

The luncheon was great for us since we got to meet JD's extended family. His best friend's parents sat with us at our table. One of the moms was a HUGE cadillac fan. The other woman's husband owned a 69 vette in that malibu blue color :drool: Of course there was more drooling to be had over JD's aunt's Camaro, Bumblebee Transformers edition (Jimmy might lose his wife to that car).

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs417.snc3/25139_1224981153007_1483350014_30523559_4385552_n. jpg

I officially got to introduce myself to JD's Dad to let him know that the Cadillac Forum raised over a $1000 in his son's name. I plan on posting a copy of the check hopefully Saturday when the e-check clears. :)

Ranger
03-18-10, 10:30 PM
Who's Bob Rohrman? Some big car dealer or something?

I'm glad to hear that the funeral was very well attended. That's the ultimate sign of respect to someone after they passed on. Think of the funeral size for Don Corleone in the end of Godfather Part I. Huge. I hope JD's was that big. I'm sorry I couldn't make it down, but I was there in spirit.
Only locals would know. Bob owns several dealerships in the area and runs many commercials. He also does his own commercials so he has a familiar face. The commercials always end with Bob Roooaarman, so they stick with you. He's somewhat of a local celebrity so to speak.

77CDV
03-18-10, 10:32 PM

We think alike. :highfive:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-19-10, 12:29 AM
I wonder what he's driving up there? A mint black Brougham D'Elegance? A Mark V? A Gentleman Jim?

hueterm
03-19-10, 12:50 AM
He got his '95 Deville back, that had been t-boned, but instead it was a decked mint Concours with invulnerable HGs an no rear main seal leak -- ever....

Jesda
03-19-10, 01:00 AM
Gary was a class act and represented us VERY well. I'm so glad he was asked to be a pallbearer.

The funeral was a time for me to let it all out with the company and support of Gary, Nicki, Jimmy, and JD's family and friends. Now I can move on.

RightTurn
03-19-10, 01:40 AM
Thanks to everyone who posted about the wake and the funeral, and to Nik for handling the memorial donations from CF. And thanks to most who posted here, with the exception of a few we managed to keep it on track and show respect for J.D. I know he would have done the same for us.

God bless you, J.D. We don't understand why you had to go, and we'll miss you.

77CDV
03-19-10, 01:44 AM
Amen, RT.

eldorado99
03-19-10, 01:56 AM
I thought it was a tremendous honor to represent all of you, and I tried to mention as many of you as I could remember in a whispered prayer as I helped take the casket to the hearse (a Cadillac; JD's Dad made sure of that).

That is nothing short of awesome.

Thank-you very much for representing us Gary.

gdwriter
03-19-10, 02:18 AM
Gary was a class act and represented us VERY well. I'm so glad he was asked to be a pallbearer.Thank you, Jesda. That's very kind of you to say. I felt tremendously honored to have been asked. Knowing how many friends JD had here, it meant a lot to represent all of you.

The funeral was a time for me to let it all out with the company and support of Gary, Nicki, Jimmy, and JD's family and friends. Now I can move on.I'm glad we could be there for each other. It really did help.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-19-10, 08:55 AM
Thank you, Jesda. That's very kind of you to say. I felt tremendously honored to have been asked. Knowing how many friends JD had here, it meant a lot to represent all of you.

You did a great job, thank you.

N0DIH
03-19-10, 06:11 PM
I didn't know, I heard about the crash on the radio last week! Good gosh. :(

We'll miss you JD!

N0DIH
03-19-10, 06:25 PM
I can say I feel the same way. :(..........

It is just too final.... I keep going over the posts from everyone, it is choking me up. I have a 4 kids, I can't imagine losing one for any reason. Keep the family in prayer ladies and gents, they really need it.

My God! I'm still getting over the shock of reading this. I thought the thread title was a joke. I wish it was. I'm sitting here at work with tears in my eyes. To damn young. My condolences to his family. Rest in peace my friend.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-19-10, 06:34 PM
Here's JD's Youtube Channel, if anyone wants to go take a gander through it. There are some good videos of his cars on it.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Saber2050

DonRSD
03-20-10, 10:35 AM
Rip!!!!

Destroyer
03-21-10, 12:38 AM
God, this whole thread has a surreal feel about it. It was nice of all of you to attend the funeral and do what you did. :thumbsup:

"G$"
04-04-10, 10:28 PM
R.I.P. I haven't logged on in a while and all I can say is...WOW.

thebigjimsho
04-08-10, 12:39 PM
Yep, we miss him...

Stingroo
04-08-10, 12:55 PM
Agreed. It's still really weird to not see him chiming in on the RWD forum. Makes me sad... and scares me at the same time, because we were the same age.

gdwriter
04-08-10, 01:06 PM
I miss seeing JD's posts, too. He usually had something interesting and/or witty to say. I still think about him a lot, a combination of sadness and anger that he's gone. Having known him in person, however briefly, makes it harder in some ways.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-08-10, 08:21 PM
I can still picture him popping up in my daily life.

gdwriter
04-08-10, 08:57 PM
I can still picture him popping up in my daily life.Me, too, considering how often I visit here. I think it's going to take a while before I'm used to him not being around anymore.

aamusls06
04-08-10, 11:20 PM
R.I.P. sending out my condolences

MN-STS-LOVER
04-09-10, 05:21 PM
Sorry to read the bad news. R.I.P. Sometimes it's hard to understand Gods plan!

cvpiftw
04-10-10, 07:18 AM
I just remember sitting across from him at cheesecake factory.... what the hell....

Its crown vic owner here.

Just... what the hell.

Oh.... my...god....

Poor guy