: How does Wait4Me work?

timeforav
03-11-10, 09:31 PM
I have seen numerous threads however, can't seem to pull out some of the basic details I am after. I have an automatic and am quite frustrated with the shifting - listening to the car shift to 6th at 42 MPH is aggravating as hell. I seem to ride around all day outside the power band and it takes forever to respond when I give it some gas.

I am not mechanically inclined so I was hoping someone could give me the wait4me 101 class.
-What does it do?
-How do you install/uninstall it?
-How do you make it undetectable?
-I know we order from someone named Jesse however, what does he send? Do you need anything else?

Any other info you guys can share that will help a greenhorn like me figure out how to do this and if I want to will be greatly appreciated. Of course, my main concern is warranty as I bought the car new and have 43k miles left on the warranty :)

cbloveday
03-11-10, 09:37 PM
I would call Jesse and discuss these questions with him.
1.) Ask Jesse
2.) with an SCT tuner. Instructions are very clear that arrive with the tuner. www.sct.com
3.) Ask Jesse
4.) SCT tuner and you download from OBDII port on your car. Send him a file via an email. He sends you the file back with his corrections. Upload the file to tuner then go to car and upload.

zero26039
03-11-10, 09:49 PM
good question. would like to hear a detailed answer.

cbloveday
03-11-10, 10:04 PM
Let me add one thing as we wait for Jesse to chime in. If your main concern is voiding warranty, I would not do a tune. GM is very clear on this and there have been threads to discuss it. Now, I will wait for Jesse to reply on the undetectable question but I doubt we will comprehend all the terminology he uses.

neuronbob
03-12-10, 12:04 AM
^^^^^
indeed. He is our resident CTS-V geek and talks like it :) . GM should hire the guy already.
The best way to get direct answers is to call him and ask. That's what I did. I am also compiling a list of his replies so I can eventually put together a plain English explanation of the tunes along with objective info about their function.

Tony407
03-12-10, 12:12 AM
Jesse has defended his tunes from the beginning that once you return to stock, it is undetectable to dealer diagnostic equipment. Many people on this forum, who's knowledge far exceeds mine, have said there is no such thing as an "undetectable" tune, but Jesse nonetheless says otherwise. To my knowledge, no one has ever given proof otherwise in terms of "I took my car to the dealer and they detected my tune." Personally, even with all the discussion about the tune being undetectable after returning to stock, I would hope for the best if and when returning to the dealer, with a realistic "what if" attitude. It's probably not an issue, but if they did discover the tune I can't imagine you having any recourse otherwise. If you're going to modify your car, be prepared to the pay the price if something goes wrong. That's the best advice I have heard, and I agree with it 100%.

Timeforav, I was just like you when I purchased my V. I'll give you a lay person's description of things.

You get a hand held tuner/scanner, which plugs into the diagnostics port under the driver's side dash. After following the instructions, the car downloads the tune into its computer. There's a few different tunes that you can download, from mild to wild. I'm running wild, called a "max performance" tune. While Jesse can provide more details if he chooses, I can simply tell you it VASTLY increases throttle response, downshift times, and quickens the shifts themselves. I also believe, but could be mistaken, that there's changes to timing and a few other things to better performance. It also makes your cooling fan come on as soon as you start the car, in an effort to keep the engine cooler I believe. In essence, this particular mod is CRAZY effective and I don't think I've heard of a single person with an auto (myself included) that hasn't been amazed and/or shocked as to the difference in performance they've experienced with this tune. For $400 or whatever it is, it's an amazing value.

Uninstallation is as simple as plugging the scanner into the port again, following the instructions, and then prompting that the car be returned to the stock specifications.

You do not need anything else. There have been numerous reports that you have to disconnect the ONSTAR fuse before installing the tune, as something about ONSTAR interferes with the install. I removed the fuse before doing mine and didn't have a problem. I've read other reports of people not removing the fuse and not having problems, and of course people not removing the fuse and having a problem. Basically, remove the fuse first to be safe.

Hope that helps.

Oh, and another thing. This tune won't keep your car from shifting into 6th at 40 mph. It will however make it shift down to 2nd gear RIGHT NOW when you put your foot into it.

Tony

demorgan59
03-12-10, 10:36 AM
If you want to tune, then Jesse is one of the best. If you don't want to void your warranty, and be completely honest about it, then don't change a thing.

This whole "but is it undetectable if I return it to stock?" is BS. The word scumbag comes to mind. IMHO.

cbloveday
03-12-10, 11:55 AM
demorgan59,

I really don't know enough about the "undetectable" comment from owners or Jesse for that matter. I completely agree with you that if you get a tune, or anything else for that matter, expect your warranty to be voided.

At some point your need for power will outweigh your concern for warranty.
It will happen, just sooner for some of us than others.:thumbsup:

Tony407
03-12-10, 01:56 PM
If you want to tune, then Jesse is one of the best. If you don't want to void your warranty, and be completely honest about it, then don't change a thing.

This whole "but is it undetectable if I return it to stock?" is BS. The word scumbag comes to mind. IMHO.

Wow. So what you're saying is that you endorse his product, but on a personal and/or professional level he's a lying scumbag? Have you even read his technical explanation about why his tune is undetectable?

Tony

The Tony Show
03-12-10, 02:01 PM
Easy, fellas. :tisk:

Tony407
03-12-10, 02:11 PM
Easy, fellas. :tisk:

You mean fella, right? Singular. I was just asking for clarification. Paraphrasing.

Tony

demorgan59
03-12-10, 02:35 PM
You misunderstood. I wasn't calling Jesse anything. He's about ready to "operate" on my car so I don't think it would be wise to do that at this point. Let me withdraw the scumbag comment and put it this way:
In my view, once you make a mod, you own it. No more powertrain warranty. You have changed what the engineers at GM have deemed to be an acceptable compromise between power and durability. There is money involved here - lots of it. Modding your car's powertrain to produce more power and then returning it to stock and taking it back to the dealer for warranty repairs is attempted fraud, in my view. GM's warranty is crystal clear on this. I can see where some people might want an invisible tune if they are just doing a CAI or something else relatively minor, but it still is what it is - a mod, and no one should expect GM to stand behind it. That's the point I was trying to make. :yup:

Ketzer
03-12-10, 03:35 PM
The undetectable part is pretty clear. If you tune it back to stock with the handheld BEFORE you go in to the dealer, the modified tunes are NO LONGER THERE. It may datalog an event (same as pulling codes or getting a GM update), but the modified tunes are not there anymore.

The Tony Show
03-12-10, 05:13 PM
You mean fella, right? Singular. I was just asking for clarification. Paraphrasing.

Tony

I meant exactly what I typed.

We've had far too many arguments about tunes start with this exact type of exchange, and I'm not letting it progress beyond that point.

CTSV4now
03-12-10, 05:37 PM
Wait4me is a vendor that sells not only handheld tuning devices, but CAI, pulleys, heat exchangers, exhaust, and other goodies for the V.

Just give him a call, he is extremely helpful. 574-267-3630

cbloveday
03-13-10, 01:01 PM
He also can take the engine apart in his sleep.

He can almost put it back together again in the time you take to go to the bathroom, relieve yourself, and get back in bed. :)

Mikevette
03-14-10, 09:13 PM
If you must mod, just buy another ECU computer load your basic stock program in and keep as a spare. This way if you ever bring your V to the dealership you swap out ECU with stock program and your good. Return home and and swap back to you modded performance ECU. That's what I did for my 04/08 Zo6's. It keep the dealership from finding your tune and denying your warranty, or if they have to re-flash your ECU because the job guides tells so that you don't loose your tune. Jessie sells both the tuner and ECU's

Mike :thumbsup:

Tony407
03-14-10, 09:31 PM
If you must mod, just buy another ECU computer load your basic stock program in and keep as a spare. This way if you ever bring your V to the dealership you swap out ECU with stock program and your good. Return home and and swap back to you modded performance ECU. That's what I did for my 04/08 Zo6's. It keep the dealership from finding your tune and denying your warranty, or if they have to re-flash your ECU because the job guides tells so that you don't loose your tune. Jessie sells both the tuner and ECU's

Which brings to mind a question I've been wanting to ask but keep forgetting. Where is our ECU and how do you remove it from the car? A bunch of multi-pin connectors or similar?

Great suggestion BTW, thanks. Although I'm afraid that if I have to ask how much one would cost, I don't want to know... LOL

Tony

demorgan59
03-15-10, 10:20 AM
Yeah, great suggestion. Totally dishonest, but great.

Karch
03-15-10, 11:00 AM
Yeah, great suggestion. Totally dishonest, but great.

You do realize that a custom tune does not negatively affect all possible warranty-related problems, right?

There are plenty of instances where warranty was denied due to a custom tune, even though the tune was not the reason for the problem.

Gary Wells
03-15-10, 11:15 AM

Mike:
There are several schools of thought on this, even by the tuners themselves. Some say that a particular method / process of tuning is undetectable, other tuners say that there is no way to do a tune, even on another ECM and be totally undetectable. I prefer to believe the latter.
As the economy now is not the same as what it was in the '04-'08 vette Z06 days. I personally GM will go to whatever extent necessary to prove / disprove that a tune was installed or something was altered anytime the warranty claim is pricey.
Key counts, the possibility of another computer tracking the removal / replacement of a ECM / TCM, etc., etc, concern me, not to mention the most important thing of all. The ethics regarding false claims.
I am not claiming that any tuner is dishonest, unethical, or anything else in this thread. Just my viewpoints.

concorso
03-15-10, 11:37 AM
Im always a little surprised at how dishonest some of the people on this board are with regards to warranty claims. Its not enough that GM allready gives us a sedan that outperforms many much more expensive vehicles, with a platform that easily accepts mods. Now you expect GM to fix your modded vehicles on GM's dime? Sounds like you belong in a Toyota moreso then a GM vehicle.

cbloveday
03-15-10, 02:42 PM
Modding is for the select few who exhibit a "no fear attitude toward component costs or the possibility of failure".

We are a rare and proud breed. Please don't dilute our brotherhood with efforts to defraud GM on warranty claims.

I equate it to being a poser.

euroconvert_ctsV
07-09-10, 01:42 PM
Hi guys,

I'm an attorney, and I'll weigh in on this. There are federal magnusson moss warranty laws that clarify this issue.

Modifying a vehicles does NOT void your warranty. It opens the doors for disagreements over the warranty. For example, if you change the supercharger pulley, and then you rear shocks fail, the dealer cannot refuse to honor the warranty unless there is some clear causation linking the pulley mod to the suspension failure. Actually, let me clarify, they can do whatever they want, they can refuse the warranty work ,but they should not, and if challenged, they will lose.

The reason it is advisable to go into the dealer stock, is not to commit FRAUD, but rather to avoid disagreements.

That being said, I think it is dishonest to overboost the car by 5 PSI and blow the motor and then attempt to get GM to pick up the tab.

But otherwise, I've seen dealers use modifications as an excuse to bill retail rate and get "diagnostic" time even though the problems were KNOWN issues with service bulletins issued, in completely different systems than the modified ones.

Luna.
07-09-10, 07:34 PM

:yeah:

I don't want to turn this thread into "this" discussion again, but give me a break...

If you modify it, have the stones to be honest about it. It ISN'T like you are auto-screwed under the law anyways.

It would seem almost hypocritical to me for the same people who talk about how crappy GM is to be the same people who try and hide their modifications as well.

EDIT: I guess I'm out to lunch, for I didn't at all interpret demorgan59's post to be derogatory towards Jesse at all. I interpreted that as him speaking to the people who try and hide their tune. Jesse simply provides the service. A fine line? Perhaps, but I would be more disappointed in the "hiders" than the ones who provide the ability to hide.

Modding is for the select few who exhibit a "no fear attitude toward component costs or the possibility of failure".

We are a rare and proud breed. Please don't dilute our brotherhood with efforts to defraud GM on warranty claims.

Well said, sir.

On the V1 forums, I believe the adage was something like, "If you want to play, you might have pay."

V&Vette
07-09-10, 09:36 PM
some think its worth it...I tend to agree with those "some".

A tune from Jesse is definitely next on the list as well as a TB once I get a little more info on such.

baabootoo
07-10-10, 12:35 AM
I have seen numerous threads however, can't seem to pull out some of the basic details I am after. I have an automatic and am quite frustrated with the shifting - listening to the car shift to 6th at 42 MPH is aggravating as hell. I seem to ride around all day outside the power band and it takes forever to respond when I give it some gas.

I am not mechanically inclined so I was hoping someone could give me the wait4me 101 class.
-What does it do?
-How do you install/uninstall it?
-How do you make it undetectable?
-I know we order from someone named Jesse however, what does he send? Do you need anything else?

Any other info you guys can share that will help a greenhorn like me figure out how to do this and if I want to will be greatly appreciated. Of course, my main concern is warranty as I bought the car new and have 43k miles left on the warranty :)

Back to your question....... You're probably not bothered by the shifting, but the torque converter clutch locking up. This locks at around 40, and I'm still in 5th. 6th comes in about 43????, but the converter is still locked. This is that "lugging" that you're feeling. I hope I didn't miss it when one of the experts chimed in!!!!!!!! :) If this was reset to around 70, it would make a WORLD of difference since the engine could still spin when the pedal was pushed.

mugatu22
07-10-10, 01:53 AM
:yeah:

I don't want to turn this thread into "this" discussion again, but give me a break...

If you modify it, have the stones to be honest about it. It ISN'T like you are auto-screwed under the law anyways.

It would seem almost hypocritical to me for the same people who talk about how crappy GM is to be the same people who try and hide their modifications as well.

On the V1 forums, I believe the adage was something like, "If you want to play, you might have pay."

Finally, Luna and I agree 100% on something :wtf:

dons
07-10-10, 06:54 AM

I have modified my V greatly, and frankly I don't worry about it breaking. If somethings does happen and my dealer says "sorry, you have been messing with your V", so be it. As one said, "you play, then you pay". Everyone just needs to get over it and stop all of the worrying, and enjoy your exceptional ride, the V. DonS

shchow
07-10-10, 09:33 AM
I have an automatic and I find that the car is always 1 or 2 gears higher than I want it to be, especially when slowing down.
Since I've broken her in, I'm driving it more in the "manual" mode and downshifting much earlier and keeping it between 3-4k rpm so its ready to pounce.
I've also had to adjust to the tremendous lag in time of shifts. It feels like 500-1000 rpms before the gear actually changes (I know I'm exagerating). I'm used to the SMG in my prior M5 which shifted incredibly fast.
But, it's fine. You just make adjustments to adapt to the car...

x-srtjeep
07-15-10, 08:13 PM
Take it from me, Jesse gets the tune done right and you won't be dissapointed. Had to put the stock tune back in after a defective SCT tuner was repaired and I took the stock tune out for a ride after 6 months of Jesse's tune, SCT deleted all his tunes and I just asked him to send them again...the V feels like a turd that won't move or shift when you want it to. Can't believe it's the same car!
Fir the most part, do you really think a canned tune for a few small mods (20hp) is gonna hurt the LSA powerplant??
Just purchase the SCT from him and he will walk you through it if you need help, even if you bought it from him 6 months ago.