: Damn...I miss acouple days here and I miss hundreds of new threads

Msilva954
08-18-04, 07:04 PM
Well, school started up...and as most of you know I was goin to go to the Automotive section of my school, well I changed my mind and ended up goin to the Networking portion of our school.........well besides having TONS of work from there on the first day of school....I also am in College AP English....alot of crap and philosophys there too.......

Sorry for the outburst topic....but man im going to miss being here every 30 min like during the summer................11th grade is going to suck.

Ralph
08-18-04, 07:09 PM
I know, I missed 4 days when getting my computer fixed and there were 440 new posts! In the old days there were about 25 per day!

Good luck in school, you'll get into the groove I'm sure. I remember in college having to do a 15 page Philosophy paper on answering "Are We Free?" (as in "free will") I'm not sure how I did it, but I used a lot of source references, etc. :rolleyes2

Sandy
08-18-04, 09:04 PM
Funny that you made this post, just today. TOMORROW I am driving to pick our son up at college. He went over the summer to gain credit towards his Jr year, beginning in 20 days. So, he'll be home for 19 days. It's like an all day event! 90 minutes ride down, about 3 hours loading all of his stuff into our car and his car. Then some lunch, then the ride home (90 minutes) and then like 2 hours bringing it all into the house!! I will be OFF of here from like 9:30 AM until maybe 5PM. I dread coming on to see 185 posts since you were last on! That's like 90 minutes, sometimes. :banghead: :bonkers: :helpless: :rolleyes2 :devil: :devil: :rant2:

tru504187211
08-18-04, 09:28 PM
Kinda glad to hear you changed your interest area for schooling -- WELCOME fellow IT student! Are there a lot of IT jobs in Florida, more specifically, the Orlando area???

Msilva954
08-18-04, 09:40 PM
^^ Thanks...me too.......I officially have the hardest teacher in the US.....Mr.Williams of William T. Mcfatter High School. Teacher of the year and all.......he is in the process of weeding out the kids he doesnt want.....so even though it was our second day we were expected to know 40 key terms......tommorw morning about 120 then about 500 by next week.

On top of that Im reading the A+,Win 2000server....2003...and Cisco soon...

Plus Im reading Walden by Henry David Thoreau for College Language........which takes forever to get through a page....not to mention the first chapter.

illumina
08-18-04, 09:52 PM
im going back to school this fall too after a summer hiatus. going for a law degree, which will take a few years. im not technically in law school yet (study it well though), but i am going for a political science degree, then on to law school.

(mental note...how am i going to pay for all of this???)

majax
08-18-04, 10:03 PM
School dont start for me till the 1st of next month :p. But, usually when I am gone from here I only miss like 2 or 3 threads. The only reason I say I miss them is because they get like 4 pages long and I aint usually up to reading the whole thing, cause it takes a lot of time,lol.

T_Dogg8
08-19-04, 09:17 AM
when i came home from the beach after 10 days i had missed so many i didn't bother reading them. i would have never caught up.

welcome also to the IT world. just don't believe all the crap about how if you work hard in school you'll get to pick your job and your salary. even after a year of myself and all my friends i graduated with not having jobs, my college was still saying everyone was graduating with a job.

Imprl59
08-19-04, 11:53 AM
welcome also to the IT world. just don't believe all the crap about how if you work hard in school you'll get to pick your job and your salary. even after a year of myself and all my friends i graduated with not having jobs, my college was still saying everyone was graduating with a job.

Isn't that the truth. I've been playing this game for 16 years and am now looking for a job again. Been looking for a month and have gotten one interview so far.... On that one interview the interviewer told me he had goten over 500 applications for a job making half what I make now. Times are tough in the IT world and only getting tougher. My best advice is to study your ass off and get as many certifications as you can.

Steve B.

Msilva954
08-19-04, 06:43 PM
We get Server 2000,A+,Cisco,and Server2003......plus other info here and there every day for 2 yrs 3 hours a day.

T_Dogg8
08-20-04, 09:04 AM
i wish i could have gotten all that in school. i didn't even get that in college.

tru504187211
08-20-04, 12:18 PM
i wish i could have gotten all that in school. i didn't even get that in college.

Same deal here man...I had only one complaint about the program back at college...not enough emphasis on certifications!!

T_Dogg8
08-20-04, 12:32 PM
i didn't do shit in college. all we got was a touch of computers and a lot of business. which in the long run will be good because that's what i want to focus on, but it's been tough to get started with such limited tech knowledge. i have to make up for it by working my ass off. everything i've learned is on-the-job, and so far i've been lucky to get a lot of good experience.

Elvis
08-20-04, 12:41 PM
When I was in college, all we had was that damn Univac.

Msilva954
08-20-04, 06:16 PM
I feel im lucky......our teacher is Teacher of the Year for the county and we are the #1 public school in the State of Florida...only ranking like #9 right behind some private schools.......everything is free of charge and given to you...books,A+computers,EVERYTHING.

daacon
08-20-04, 09:37 PM
Wow I have been gone about a week and yep post galore !!! IT world is picking up here some what in Canada. It was pretty dead the last couple of years. I remember the Univac at school as well (and Assembler, Fortran, Cobol, "micro computers" hahahaha etc..).

I still think IT is a good field - work hard. My personal opinion is marks and certifications will certainly get you in the door , but take it from someone with over 18 years in the field (last 5 as an independant) - it is your work ethic and networking that will keep you in the 'bidness. (no one cares to see my marks from 1986 anymore ) yet I have been fortunate to always be employed (see work eithic and networking). Another word of advice - be well rounded in your knowledge but be the best at something :coolgleam (I.E. pick a speciality) - but have enough knowledge to do other things.

Good luck :-) ok time to read some of the other 680 post :drinker

Elvis
08-20-04, 10:00 PM
When I was in high school, I used a "mini-computer" that had two single-density 8" floppy drives, 92K of RAM, and a 4MHz processor Jack!

I hope this picture works...

http://home.wxs.nl/~mhamm/Computer/Datapoint/datapnt1800.jpg

If not, here's a link: http://home.wxs.nl/~mhamm/Computer/Datapoint/datapoin.htm

daacon
08-20-04, 10:13 PM
When I was in high school, I used a "mini-computer" that had two single-density 8" floppy drives, 92K of RAM, and a 4MHz processor Jack!

I hope this picture works...

Yes that is where I cut my 'PC' teeth nice picture !!! I also remeber JCL having to submit the "job" to the data center , wating until the next day to find out I still had syntax errors :bonkers: - don't miss those days ...

Elvis
08-20-04, 10:32 PM
Yes that is where I cut my 'PC' teeth nice picture !!! I also remeber JCL having to submit the "job" to the data center , wating until the next day to find out I still had syntax errors :bonkers: - don't miss those days ...

Would you believe that one of my guys converted a customer of ours from 3780 (bi-synch) to FTP today? He asked me to interpret some JCL for him. Over the years they've gone from an IBM 4381 to a System 36 to an AS/400 running in "36 mode," whatever that means.

There are STILL shops operating in the dark ages. I think that was the last one.

daacon
08-20-04, 10:39 PM
There are STILL shops operating in the dark ages. I think that was the last one.

Oh Yeah I believe it. A few years ago I was offered a contract to do some RPG progamming (gawd like I remeber that!!!) and the place where I first started (a Hospital on Tandem Mainframe) called last week to wonder if I was interested in writing a custom COBOL / SCOBOL app (Scobol is Tandem Screen Cobol).....There are lost of shops left in the Dark Ages ........

I even had some people contact me about converting Oracle 7.3 database to 9i ( Oracle production 10g was relased recentll - so they are 4 versions and about 7 years behind !!!! Change keeps me in buisness (and educated :D )

Ralph
08-20-04, 11:14 PM
Daacon, my future brother-in-law works at Nortel as a programmer and some stuff in AI, etc. Things are not looking good in Ottawa because there is another RCMP investigation! He was lucky enough a few years ago to be one of the last of hundreds laid off when 911 hit the industry hard. He always kisses a$$, and is a phoney, and I suppose that helps allright, but I think it is a "burn-out" career that one had better love to do it in the long term.

What effects Nortel effects the whole country! It's that big.

daacon
08-21-04, 10:18 AM
Daacon, my future brother-in-law works at Nortel as a programmer and some stuff in AI, etc. Things are not looking good in Ottawa because there is another RCMP investigation! He was lucky enough a few years ago to be one of the last of hundreds laid off when 911 hit the industry hard.
Funny my Bro-in_law works for Nortel as well. Telecomutes from home. He left Telus after 17 years. Still working as they still need good people (he travles allot - not my cup of tea).

Ok my take on the IT world. Telco's had their day. (anyone remember WorldCom? )I worked on a contract with a Telco about 5 years ago (Saville Systems owned by Bruce Saville, who later got bought out by Amercian Giant ADC). In the beginning , with De-regualtion, Saville systems had numerous Amercian and even some European clients, then well Companies died out, money dried up , and buy out ...Bruce did ok (quite a story there - built a Telco Billing engine on a AS400 as a Consultant for Ed Tel (now Telus) who paid him and got the software rights !!! Genuis ......)

I should have not said Canadian IT Market. Here in Alberta things are definately looking better. The industries that are starting to spend money are Utilities (Gas / Power), Oil Companies and Health Care. Looking for a variety of skill sets (lots of Java / C++, .net , Oracle , sql server). I am on a local Head Hunters Email spam list (SI Systems) and have been getting 2-4 Emails a week for Job oppertunities in Calgary / Edmonton area. Most short term contracts, but speaking from experiece all my contacts started out short term and most lasted about 20 - 26 months.

He always kisses a$$, and is a phoney, and I suppose that helps allright, but I think it is a "burn-out" career that one had better love to do it in the long term..

Couple points. I hate a$$ kissers. They usually get theirs but not always. One can only hope.

Any career can be considered "burn out". My advice on this is move around. I was fortunate enough to start in a large Hopsital. Started out as a Cobol maintenance programmer - and yeah that got old quick. But becuase I was willing to try new things, in my 12 years there - I was on the in house developed Payroll / HR system using a new tool (Tandem SQL wow!), then production support of that system. I learned some Medical Records , Patient Acuity , Discharge Abstracting, Service Log, was Sys Admin (Tandem , various Unix servers, various NT servers) , Got into the PC server world (NT 3.51 AAAAAAAAAHHHHHH and Windows for Workgroups 3.1 ...MS Mail admin ), Help Desk , finally database admin (by then we had some Oralce apps ). So I never spendt more than a couple years doing "one thing". Some peole get into a comfort zone and stay there and that is fine. Me I enjoy learning new buisness models and the technology (albiet I am pretty much focused on Oralce these days - but even Oralce changes every couple of years as well)

So another peice of advice for IT beginners - learn the buisness. That will go a long way to keeping your employed and generally it is interesting. Technical skills are always being changed and upgraded. If you establish yourslef as someone who knows the buisness model , or can learn it - well technical skills can be learned, usually the buisness rules remain the same. In my career I have learned Hospital Applcaitions , Telco Billing, Large Payroll / HR / AR/ AP/ GL outsouing (People Soft) , Power Derugualtion (that was interesting) and currently working for a large Construction firm (Compliance, Job Costing, Sub contracts , etc...). While there are facits of my job I find mundane - I generally learn new things and this keeps me from the burn out factor. And for gwads sake , teach others what you know !!! Quickest way to be stuck doing something forever, is being the only one who knows how to do it !!!

What effects Nortel effects the whole country! It's that big.
Yes Nortel is too big to go under even with recent cuts they employe 10's of thousands of people world wide - their book keeping is interesting :hide: . Wish I owed as much money as them. It has been said , owe the Bank a $200k and they own you , owe the Bank $100,000k and your own them :rolleyes2 (Air Canada ring any bells :want: )

carguy16
08-21-04, 02:02 PM
Well, school started up...and as most of you know I was goin to go to the Automotive section of my school, well I changed my mind and ended up goin to the Networking portion of our school.........well besides having TONS of work from there on the first day of school....I also am in College AP English....alot of crap and philosophys there too.......

Sorry for the outburst topic....but man im going to miss being here every 30 min like during the summer................11th grade is going to suck.

Schools in here, im a senior! haha! my last year, when I get my car, I am considering weather I should bring it to auto shop. As long as I bring parts, they will fix it for free. But, I just dont want any clowning around to damage my car, that is when I get a car.

Elvis
08-22-04, 12:22 AM
Amen to what daacon said about learning the business. Technical geeks are a dime a dozen, but people who know how to implement the technology to have an impact on the bottom line are rare.

Burnout and a$$ kissing are related. I would have a very difficult time adapting to the corporate world. I'm better in the independent contractor mode. I can speak their language but I don't have the time or the patience to adapt to their culture. Too many are just trying to build their own little empires and don't care about actually getting any work done.

daacon
08-22-04, 12:40 AM
I would have a very difficult time adapting to the corporate world. I'm better in the independent contractor mode. I can speak their language but I don't have the time or the patience to adapt to their culture. Too many are just trying to build their own little empires and don't care about actually getting any work done.

Yep I give an Ahem to that (maybe we sould start our own company ;) ) - got no time for politics - exactly I can speak at steering comittee's when I have to - have no desire to be a member of one ., come in get the job done, on to the next challenge ....

So Elvis what is your area of expertise ?

Elvis
08-22-04, 03:52 PM
Communications, primarily for order entry in the distribution industry. Drug, grocery, and hardware wholesalers. We still do a lot of dial-up work, but we're doing more and more broadband FTP.

Some are trying to do all their order entry via websites, but they're having some difficulty. It's tough to show custom pricing for 5000+ accounts, and their servers just aren't powerful enough to handle the crunch of volume they get at closing time every day. Stores like to wait until the last minute to place their orders.