: Powder Coat the Lower Grill Black?

Cataract
03-11-10, 04:19 PM
I have been debating powder coating my grills black, but came to the conclusion I really do like the V grill chrome. Now I am thinking of blacking out the lower grill. The front really screams at you head-on with so much chrome. By deleting the lower chrome, I could make it more subdued without losing the V look.

How do you guys think it would look?? Keep the thin chrome trim around the lower grill?

I can get it powder coated dirt cheap.. but getting it back to stock is a different story.. Where can I find a cheap stock lower grill? I was reading $300+, that really makes me reconsider the whole project. If I don't like it, or want to sell the car.. it would be an expensive conversion back to stock for a 100% cosmetic mod.

TimmyC
03-11-10, 11:28 PM
I have been debating powder coating my grills black, but came to the conclusion I really do like the V grill chrome. Now I am thinking of blacking out the lower grill. The front really screams at you head-on with so much chrome. By deleting the lower chrome, I could make it more subdued without losing the V look.

How do you guys think it would look?? Keep the thin chrome trim around the lower grill?

I can get it powder coated dirt cheap.. but getting it back to stock is a different story.. Where can I find a cheap stock lower grill? I was reading $300+, that really makes me reconsider the whole project. If I don't like it, or want to sell the car.. it would be an expensive conversion back to stock for a 100% cosmetic mod.

I think that would look terrible. There are no aftermarket V grilles and stock ones are hard to find used and expensive.

Cataract
03-12-10, 01:03 PM
Yea, they seem to be very expensive.. theres a used one on Ebay that is nearing $500, and I think its just the top part!

Why did the hood-rats have to ruin chrome for me!!!

Redxped1
03-12-10, 06:43 PM
you could just do the trim around the grill in black?

cad08stsv
03-14-10, 12:13 PM
Cataract, Good Morning,
The ride is yours. If it is not leasted then you should do what make you happy. Buy the time you get ready to sell the car I'm sure who ever buys it will like the mids you have done, or they won't buy it. Live for today and enjoy.
I still have a car I bought 27 years ago and it is not stock by any means. I have notice that the cars that are customized sell very well, either on ebay or in other venues. look at the caddy classifieds in the past. Besides it will not
really be noticed anyway. What ever you do....... Good Luck.
Russell

Cataract
03-16-10, 12:53 PM
Haha thanks for the advice Russell! I just can't figure out what I want to do..

Check out this CTS-V.. Kind of a mix.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=56724&stc=1&d=1268758325

cad08stsv
03-17-10, 04:24 PM
Good afternoon Cataract,
I just found this on ebay, he also has the upper grill take a look.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-07-cadillac-STS-V-lower-grille-OEM_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem25596f35d3QQitemZ16 0414250451QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAcce ssories
I don't know any thing about this guy just thought you might be interested
Russell

Cataract
03-17-10, 04:50 PM
Great find! Thanks.

Hopefully it won't go up hundreds of dollars.. if it stays cheap, I'll definitely do some experimenting with painting it.