: Rubberized Undercoating (for wheel wells) - any cons?

lbwd
03-11-10, 11:36 AM
I want to make my wheel wells look more black instead of the faded black they are now. I own a 1996 Seville STS and have heard about this rubberized undercoating that auto detailers use.

Are there any big cons or anything I should watch out for? What about other areas that could be undercoated--are there any?

Thanks in advance.

superprohero
03-12-10, 06:41 AM
I've been in a body shop for years and we used to use rubberized undercoat especially to cover up paint overspray in the wheel wells and on frame rails. Now we tape and paper everything off better.

It's OK for applying over steel wheel wells such as in the rear but I wouldn't spray it on plastic wheel wells/splash shields because it will not stick long term and once it starts flaking off it looks crappy.
You're better off to use a really good cleaner like Blue Max from Car Brite and scrub them, then coat them with Armor All or some other detailing slick stuff.

If you do go with undercoat I would use a good brand like 3M.

lbwd
03-12-10, 11:27 AM
Thank you, superprohero. I think I'll take the cleaner and slick coating route.

creeker
03-12-10, 08:21 PM
For an inexpensive black dressing for front wheel wells I have used stove pipe black liquid, I wouldn't even call it paint,it's
like water,and it does a good job, very easy to apply.

K@ddiD@ddi
03-15-10, 01:55 PM
Yea under coating doesnt work well on plastic its supposed to be rubberized so it flexes but it still flakes, unless you clean the plastic really well, then sand it rough and use plastic self etching primer, then the undercoat.....too much work for that, clean plastic looks better