: Would any of you object....

MrSinatra
03-10-10, 11:46 PM
If I took out the engine of my 47 Cadillac and put in a newer yet still classic V8 in there? I have no problem with the WW2 tank engine but it just doesn't have the power to reliably cruise down the highway in the summer without overworking itself and or overheating.

It's not like its valuable, historical, or important since its a series 62 SEDAN.

Aron9000
03-10-10, 11:56 PM
Put a worked over Cadillac 500 in there. That should move it along nicely.

As for the overheating thing, have you thought about putting a bigger radiator in there with some electric fans? That might cure your problem for a lot less headache than a motor swap.

MrSinatra
03-11-10, 12:05 AM
Put a worked over Cadillac 500 in there. That should move it along nicely.

As for the overheating thing, have you thought about putting a bigger radiator in there with some electric fans? That might cure your problem for a lot less headache than a motor swap.
It's a flathead, it's naturally hot no matter what I do, plus with its design that would just rob it of more horses than it already is losing. I'd like to be able to cruise at 70, not 55. Plus I've been considering painting it black.

Well, I don't want too much power, having no seat belts or power brakes makes driving fast VERY frightening.

Stingroo
03-11-10, 12:08 AM
Throw a 425 in there and call it a day.

MrSinatra
03-11-10, 12:10 AM
Throw a 425 in there and call it a day.

What about a 390? That way I can keep my steering wheel and hydramatic.

csbuckn
03-11-10, 12:25 AM
Is the Hydramatic good for cruising at 70? Drill some seatbelts in there and put the motor that makes the most sense. Nobody's gonna bark at you for swapping the motor, were just glad to see that car still moving. If you plan on having it for a while and driving it alot, I'd put a better motor in. Doesnt even have to be a V8, a V6 would get you around just fine also.

MrSinatra
03-11-10, 12:32 AM
Is the Hydramatic good for cruising at 70? Drill some seatbelts in there and put the motor that makes the most sense. Nobody's gonna bark at you for swapping the motor, were just glad to see that car still moving. If you plan on having it for a while and driving it alot, I'd put a better motor in. Doesnt even have to be a V8, a V6 would get you around just fine also.

Eh, I'm not a fan of seat belts and I definitely don't want to lose that beautiful steering wheel....

greencadillacmatt
03-11-10, 12:35 AM
Why would you lose the steering wheel?

MrSinatra
03-11-10, 12:39 AM
Why would you lose the steering wheel?
If I put in a different transmission that involves a steering wheel mounted gearshift wouldn't I be unable to use my steering wheel? (I also love the gear selector bar with its little ivory handle).

csbuckn
03-11-10, 12:41 AM
You gotta have some seatbelts. You said it yourself, no seatbelts is crazy so put some in and lower your insurance premium.

MrSinatra
03-11-10, 12:45 AM
You gotta have some seatbelts. You said it yourself, no seatbelts is crazy so put some in and lower your insurance premium.
Seat belts + 1940s car = no sense. It just destroys the styling of it. Especially those plastic ones *shudder*.

Would I be able to put a 1950s era V8 in there? It'll give me more power but not enough to make me too fast for my non power brakes.

csbuckn
03-11-10, 12:54 AM
No seatbelts, no power brakes, does it have power steering? This car doesnt sound like a good candidate for a more modern motor. I think you should upgrade to the 12v system and fix the waterpump and you should be good. I dont know much about the 50s motors. You should be able to keep your current steering wheel, how many gears does your current tranny have?

MrSinatra
03-11-10, 12:59 AM
No seatbelts, no power brakes, does it have power steering? This car doesnt sound like a good candidate for a more modern motor. I think you should upgrade to the 12v system and fix the waterpump and you should be good. I dont know much about the 50s motors. You should be able to keep your current steering wheel, how many gears does your current tranny have?

It has a 12 volt system and I got the new water pump. It turns out the battery cable's negative is corroded so when I turned it off at an IN N Out burger I had to be pushed out by hungry, angry customers.

MrSinatra
03-11-10, 01:03 AM
I mean, I don't have a problem with the current set up. I'm just worried the car can't do road trips, especially with its flathead (tendency to overheat engine) and my worry that I will overwork the old low horsepower engine. (only 150)

bicentennialcadillac
03-11-10, 06:42 AM
http://gotbelts.com/beclchlilapb.html

robb257731
03-11-10, 08:30 AM
Eh, I'm not a fan of seat belts and I definitely don't want to lose that beautiful steering wheel....

Don't be an idiot. Why would you want to risk driving around without a seatbelt on when it could prevent you from being killed? You could put in a lap belt.

durrk johnson
03-11-10, 09:27 AM
I was just gonna say^^^

Hes not gonna be a fan of smashing into his beautiful steering wheel, or flying through his plateglass windshield.

Just install seatbelts yo. Theres no way I would drive something that old 70mph w/ no seatbelts.

I felt crazy taking my 80' up to 90mph. haha

durrk johnson
03-11-10, 09:32 AM
Or you can always install a huge catchers mitt on the front of your hood.

MrSinatra
03-11-10, 10:32 AM
Don't be an idiot. Why would you want to risk driving around without a seatbelt on when it could prevent you from being killed? You could put in a lap belt.

People have a tendency to avoid cars as old as mine on the road. Especially when I'm going 40 in a 45 mph zone (my speedometer is about 5 mph off as far as I know).

Ian6
03-11-10, 12:05 PM
Naw I don't think you need to put in a lap belt, I mean if you want to then by all means put one in, but it seems like you don't want to so don't. I won't lie I hardly ever wear mine when I drive.

MrSinatra
03-11-10, 11:19 PM
Naw I don't think you need to put in a lap belt, I mean if you want to then by all means put one in, but it seems like you don't want to so don't. I won't lie I hardly ever wear mine when I drive.

And legally I'm allowed to not wear a belt thanks to my good old fashioned car.

csbuckn
03-11-10, 11:38 PM
I dont know, I guess I'm a gearhead and wouldnt mind seeing the car with some performance mods. Nice small block, disc brakes... Still cant get over the no seatbelts thing. I cant make it to the corner without mine, guess its saved me and mine too many times. That car just looks great. Have you got anymore pics yet?

MrSinatra
03-11-10, 11:47 PM
I dont know, I guess I'm a gearhead and wouldnt mind seeing the car with some performance mods. Nice small block, disc brakes... Still cant get over the no seatbelts thing. I cant make it to the corner without mine, guess its saved me and mine too many times. That car just looks great. Have you got anymore pics yet?

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d28/Bowserfire/IMG00253-20100304-1716.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d28/Bowserfire/IMG00254-20100304-1716.jpghttp://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d28/Bowserfire/IMG00259-20100305-0801.jpg
two of it being towed home and one of it sitting in front of my house.

csbuckn
03-12-10, 12:01 AM
What a car. I'd love to see it with a modern drivetrain.

MrSinatra
03-12-10, 12:02 AM
What a car. I'd love to see it with a modern drivetrain.

I'd love to have the money to do that to. I was thinking about painting it either all black, all white, black roof with white body or black body with white roof. (It's not original color anyway)

Stingroo
03-12-10, 12:13 AM
You remind me eerily of another forum member we have...

77CDV
03-12-10, 02:38 AM
It's your car, do what you want. Most folks who want to restomod these cars go with the 350 and THM700R4. Your shift quadrant won't match, but the old Hydramatics won't mate up with the newer engines, and they're really not built for them anyway. As far as the current flathead overheating, you could solve that by installing a larger radiator and auxillary electric fans. A lot of CLC guys with these old cars do that for this very reason.

MrSinatra
03-12-10, 03:14 AM
It's your car, do what you want. Most folks who want to restomod these cars go with the 350 and THM700R4. Your shift quadrant won't match, but the old Hydramatics won't mate up with the newer engines, and they're really not built for them anyway. As far as the current flathead overheating, you could solve that by installing a larger radiator and auxillary electric fans. A lot of CLC guys with these old cars do that for this very reason.

What sort of radiator can I use in this car and where do I buy the electric fans? Any performance parts for this engine or will I only get these 150 horses? (electric fans will rob it of even more power)

greencadillacmatt
03-12-10, 03:24 AM
I do believe that only they engine-driven fans will rob the engine of power. That's why a LOT of people switch to electric, so that there is no parasitic loss of power through the act of spinning a mechanical fan.

MrSinatra
03-12-10, 03:27 AM
I do believe that only they engine-driven fans will rob the engine of power. That's why a LOT of people switch to electric, so that there is no parasitic loss of power through the act of spinning a mechanical fan.

I'll ask my mechanic for more details. Would it be possible for me to put a heavy duty radiator from a different vehicle in that car?
Also are there any performance parts at all for this vehicle? I would love to actually go places on the freeway without overworking the engine.

albymangled
03-12-10, 04:04 AM
I certainly dont think it is a good idea to put a larger V8 engine in if your not prepared to use seatbelts and power assisted disk brakes.

Pretty sure the highway patrol would agree....

It's a nice old car....perhaps it's not quite what you thought it would be performance wise...

Mebbe you should sell it to someone who understands it and use the money to buy a more modern car with the features you need built in.

If it is an original car in good nick then it would be a travesty to butcher it....just give it up and buy something newer.

MrSinatra
03-12-10, 04:10 AM
I certainly dont think it is a good idea to put a larger V8 engine in if your not prepared to use seatbelts and power assisted disk brakes.

Pretty sure the highway patrol would agree....

It's a nice old car....perhaps it's not quite what you thought it would be performance wise...

Mebbe you should sell it to someone who understands it and use the money to buy a more modern car with the features you need built in.

If it is an original car in good nick then it would be a travesty to butcher it....just give it up and buy something newer.

I'm not asking for a race car. I'm asking to be able to cross the bay bridge. (I live in the San Francisco Bay Area).
I'm asking for a few horses, just enough to not make me shit myself whenever I'm cruising down the highway.

albymangled
03-12-10, 05:01 AM
Hey do what you want mate...for your own sake put some seat belts in it....for everyone else's sake put some brakes on it....

robb257731
03-12-10, 08:26 AM
You remind me eerily of another forum member we have...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. I was thinking the same thing.

77CDV
03-12-10, 10:46 PM
A larger radiator should be no big deal for this car. As far as electric fans, they won't decrease the engine power. However, if you're that concerned, you can hook them up so you can turn them on only on demand, usually when stopped in traffic or under unusually high load conditions. The old flatheads should be able to cruise at 60-70 mph with no difficulty, though most people rarely push theirs beyond 60. You just need to plan your stops well in advance with the undersized drum brakes these cars have.

creeker
03-12-10, 11:43 PM

I was on an ambulance crew for 12 years, put in some seat belts, a crash as low as 20 mph can cause problems.

MrSinatra
03-13-10, 01:37 AM
A larger radiator should be no big deal for this car. As far as electric fans, they won't decrease the engine power. However, if you're that concerned, you can hook them up so you can turn them on only on demand, usually when stopped in traffic or under unusually high load conditions. The old flatheads should be able to cruise at 60-70 mph with no difficulty, though most people rarely push theirs beyond 60. You just need to plan your stops well in advance with the undersized drum brakes these cars have.

I usually don't push it over 45 because it starts getting loud and I fear my engine will blow out.

MT-ED
03-13-10, 08:38 AM
The way to go......won't be cheap.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u88/Martin_Thoene/Caddies_029_opt.jpg

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u88/Martin_Thoene/Caddies_030_opt.jpg

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u88/Martin_Thoene/Caddies_031_opt.jpg

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u88/Martin_Thoene/Caddies_032_opt.jpg

Martin.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-13-10, 11:21 AM
OK, that's freakin cool!

MrSinatra
03-13-10, 10:53 PM
OK, that's freakin cool!

It's pretty tasteful, at least they didn't rape the interior.

77CDV
03-14-10, 05:04 PM
That's what restomods are all about. Stock on the outside, modern under the skin.

caddeville89
03-14-10, 05:38 PM
That is pretty nice. Don't know if I would go with a N*. Would definitely go w/ a 5.7 or something like that that is much easier to work on. Still respect them for doing it though!

sven914
03-14-10, 06:36 PM
I would go with a Cadillac 331, which is an over head valve engine and has a modern cooling system. It was introduced in '49, which is pretty much the same body, so installing one shouldn't be too much trouble. The 331 would also keep a relative authenticity to the car, while giving you more reliability and power.

Benzilla
03-14-10, 11:32 PM
I know nothing about the 331, but that sounds like a good plan. Other than that, my gut would say 425 w/ TH400. Good all around package.

Stingroo
03-15-10, 08:45 AM
Nah man, 500ci or GTFO.

:D

cadillac_al
03-15-10, 08:58 AM
I remember an old timer telling me how fast those old Buick Straight 8's used to be. I don't remember the exact speeds he mentioned but I assumed they would go down the highway pretty fast. He brought it up because one passed him on the highway while he was going about 70. I assume the Caddy V8's of the day would be even faster. The only flaw in my thinking could be that the Straight 8 Buick flying down the highway could have had a Chev 350.

77CDV
03-15-10, 11:54 AM
A properly maintained flathead V8 will cruise at 60-70 without difficulty. They are prone to overheating under extreme conditions, such as prolonged idling in hot weather or pulling a long grade. A larger radiator and auxillary electric cooling fans negate most of those issues.

The-Dullahan
03-16-10, 06:17 PM
Nah man, 500ci or GTFO.

Wouldn't we all love to see that? I'd do it myself if I was able (I know it fits, but where would I get the money?)

sven914
03-16-10, 06:50 PM
For some (disturbing) reason I picture the process of installing a 500 as being comparable to attempting to f**k a squirrel with a horse...

If you stretch the the chassis, you can fit a Cadillac V-16 under the hood.

robb257731
03-16-10, 07:52 PM
Nice Sven....thanks for the image.

sven914
03-16-10, 08:15 PM
^Could be worse...

http://www.theequinest.com/images/horse-photoshop-4.jpg

Stingroo
03-16-10, 08:37 PM
Man, I don't care what it is, but I want a 500 powered car at some point in my life.

I don't care if it's a Civic with no hood or fenders. It would have a 500.

greencadillacmatt
03-16-10, 11:56 PM
^^^Sven, WHAT HATH YOU WROUGHT?!?

77CDV
03-17-10, 02:01 AM
^Could be worse...

http://www.theequinest.com/images/horse-photoshop-4.jpg

Now THAT'S disturbing! :ill::nono:

Stingroo
03-17-10, 02:26 AM
http://www.getonmyhorse.com/

Wins.

77CDV
03-17-10, 03:00 AM
^Even more disturbing. But damn amusing.

EDIT: Damn you, Roo, now I've got that freakin' song stuck in my head!!!! :p

greencadillacmatt
03-17-10, 03:39 AM
Damn you, Roo, now I've got that freakin' song stuck in my head!!!! :p

Curses. He beat me to it. SHUTUPWOMANGETONMYHORSE FTW! :highfive:

ShadowLvr400
03-17-10, 07:43 AM
Wow.... some sick puppies here. I would think a car that big and heavy, go diesel. :) A modern diesel is fairly quiet and could easily handle the limited gears in that old car. Heck, the rpm band would be about the same, anf they're low horsepower, high torque motors. The no seatbelt is your choice, just don't get a significant other until you're well insured.

Old Fleetwood
03-17-10, 11:22 AM
Re: Seat belts -
PUHLEEEEEZE install.
> In the early 1960s, I was Safety Supervisor for Indy's Bureau of Traffic Engineering. We put seat belts in ALL OUR TRUCKS !
Everybody thought it was SILLY until some drunk - estimated to be running about 70 mph - blew a red light on Illinois Street, Northbound, and broadsided one of our really BIG snorkel trucks going Westbound on St. Clair Street, right under the driver's door.
The impact popped the driver's door open and spun the truck partly around but THE BELT RESTRAINED OUR DRIVER FROM BEING SQUASHED BETWEEN THE CRUSHED HOOD OF THE CAR AND THE RUNNING BOARD OF THE TRUCK.
> Same time period, wife and I going to a friend's house for dinner in a new residential neighborhood came up suddenly on the street where they lived. I whipped the steering wheel of my 1960 Mercedes 220Sb to the left to make the turn and . . . slid out of my seat to pin my wife against the right side door !
Luckily, I could still reach the brake with my left toe and stop the car, stalling it, of course.
> My late boss, Ralph, on his way from L.A. to Vegas one evening, saw a car weaving toward him, he slowed down as the headlights aimed at him. He slowed almost to a stop in his 1965 Chevelle convertible WITH SEATBELTS and pulled almost completely off the road when the oncoming car hit the ditch on the other side then bounced once and came directly at him then hit Ralph and his wife HEAD ON.
THE WOMAN DRIVING HAD FALLEN ASLEEP, HAD NO SEAT BELTS. RALPH AND GLORIA WERE WEARING THEIRS. THE WOMAN LATER DIED OF HER INJURIES.
Please, please, please put a pair of belts in that beautiful Cadillac, if for no other reason than to maintain control of your lovely beast.

Old Fleetwood
03-17-10, 01:13 PM
And for somebody with a REAL seat belt phobia, here's a dandy:
A supposedly intelligent cop was driving his big Jeep Station Wagon home one evening when a Ford F-150 came across the center line and got him HEAD ON.
With no seat belt, it took the Fire Department and Paramedics nearly an hour to tear the Jeep apart since he was wedged so completely UNDER THE INSTRUMENT PANEL.
This guy was 6'2" tall and 225 lbs.
He spend a year in recovery and another year in therapy due to spinal destruction from the crash but...
GUESS WHAT?
to this day he STILL says a seat belt would have killed him !!!!!!!!!:cookoo:
Yeahh, right.
Jeeezzzuss.
You just can't reach some people.
IMHO, if he wore a seat belt he would have walked away with minor injuries. PERIOD.

77CDV
03-17-10, 04:19 PM
I guess it's all moot.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1947-Cadillac-Series-62-Sedan_W0QQitemZ160413795449QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_C ars_Trucks?hash=item2559684479

sven914
03-17-10, 05:33 PM
His last post was on the 13th, and he was talking about modifying the hell out of it, and then on the 14th he sells it on eBay (starting bid $500, no reserve). There is something in the water in California; too many coincidences between this guy and the dick with the Coupe de Ville. If they're not the same person, they should be (might be twins split at birth).

A few exerts from his auction, to show that this dude is a real secret squirrel:

Good condition (older restoration). Rated at least a 3 on the 1-6 scale (6 being a parts car, 1 is show condition, I'd say mine could be a 2.5-3)

If you have a 59-64 cadillac this could be your lucky day, talk with me on such offers

I may take this listing down at any time if someone buys it in real life

This ad will NOT be relisted so all you looky loos better go for the gold before its too late.

This is certainly a wonderful car, its a shame its fetching such a low price.

Only Paypal and Cash please (or a 59 or 60 Caddy)

77CDV
03-17-10, 05:55 PM
Your powers of perception are truely astounding, Sven. :D

Fleet
03-19-10, 07:45 PM
A proper Cadillac should have a V-8. :D

Aron9000
03-23-10, 01:54 AM
A proper Cadillac should have a V-8. :D

I don't know, I've always wanted an 80-84 Coupe Deville with the 3.8 turbo V6 from a Grand National. Way better performer than any V8 GM built during the 80's.

sven914
03-23-10, 12:29 PM
I guess some bought it for $14,000. The auction says it was ended on the 18th (three days after it started), and this was added after I last checked:
If you wish to send me an offer go to this listing: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160414702218#ht_500wt_979 Give me your best offer. I need the money to make a payment on my newly bought 59.

I predict that sometime in the near future, we're going to get a third, socially awkward, 18 year old member, who coincidentally has a '59 Cadillac.

outsider
03-23-10, 12:33 PM
^sad...was nice to have the owner of that car here.

sven914
03-23-10, 02:12 PM
^ sad... was nice to have that car here.

outsider
03-23-10, 02:17 PM
^ that's really what I meant... lol

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-04-10, 10:33 AM
I predict that sometime in the near future, we're going to get a third, socially awkward, 18 year old member, who coincidentally has a '59 Cadillac.

I hope not. We've had enough of that kid. But something tells me he'll be back for a third stint, with a new screen name. :nono: :helpless:

There is something in the water in California; too many coincidences between this guy and the dick with the Coupe de Ville. If they're not the same person, they should be (might be twins split at birth).

YUP! I thought the same thing when right after 1964Coupedeville disappeared, and we got another 18 year old kid from California who insisted on having a ridiculously old Cadillac as his daily driver. I knew there was something funny about that kid. And if you go back and look at the eBay page for his '47, go look at the 5th picture down, you'll see that damned fedora of his in the back of that car.

Stingroo
04-04-10, 10:36 AM
LOL I noticed the fedora. It made me giggle.

csbuckn
04-04-10, 10:42 AM
I just wanna see the 59. My favorite year.

77CDV
04-04-10, 01:44 PM
If his last two cars are any indication, you probably don't.

greencadillacmatt
04-04-10, 02:24 PM
LOL I noticed the fedora. It made me giggle.

What's wrong with wearing a fedora? :hmm:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-04-10, 04:54 PM
What's wrong with wearing a fedora? :hmm:

Nothing at all, I want one quite badly actually. But that kid made his fedora to be bigger than it was.

Bro-Ham
04-04-10, 05:28 PM
life is too short to dink around with a big imagination. Can't we all just drink cocktails and be happy?! :)

Bro-Ham
04-04-10, 05:43 PM
When I see big talking young people with big time cars I always wonder how and why they are in the position they claim to be. Trust fund - AOK. Cars belonging to Mom and Dad - OK, but don't call them your own. Fantasy - spare us, please. The 64 Coupe deVille guy was enough to make me vomit. The fact that so many people on this forum pandered to the dick made me scratch my head - that's minimizing, it made me laugh in disbelief. When it sounds too good to be true it often is. Ask questions. As Dick Cheney is famous for saying: trust, but verify. :)

Bro-Ham
04-04-10, 06:07 PM
I should also say, a hard working young person is praiseworthy! They don't need to toot their horns and they know they earned what they have achieved. :) I'm not that old, at age 42, but I've seen plenty of blowhards. Make your life a pleasure to yourself. Share what you've done great. If you haven't done anything great - don't make it up - do it! Make it happen! That's all American! It gives all of us goosebumps when the impossible becomes possible! Everyone wins with the inspiration and we all take a big step forward!!! :)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-04-10, 07:36 PM
In short, poseurs suck, but people who actually can buy the cars they want and claim to have rock.

Bro-Ham
04-05-10, 08:12 AM
In short, poseurs suck, but people who actually can buy the cars they want and claim to have rock.

Chad, Let's get rocking - - where's that Brougham you want? :)

Stingroo
04-05-10, 09:37 AM

^^^ This.

deVille33
04-05-10, 10:25 AM
[quote=Bro-Ham;2202948]I should also say, a hard working young person is praiseworthy!

I just read this post for the first time and I found it pretty amusing. My guess is this young lad has more money than ambition.
If you have an interest in a particular field, you have to study it in order to understand it. I used to be a Pontiac nut. I've forgotten more about that breed than most newer enthusiasts claim. If I ever go back, I'll have to get out my manuals to refresh my memory. The same with point ignition systems. I haven't had to deal with point ignitions in ages.
Flat head engines fall into this catagory also. I do remember that head gaskets had a tendency to seep and contibute to running temperature.

Too bad.

77CDV
04-05-10, 01:29 PM

First things first, Dave. Chad's current goals are:

1) Move out of the parents' basement.

2) Buy Lincoln Mark IV.

The Brougham comes much later.

Bro-Ham
04-05-10, 06:45 PM

2) Buy Lincoln Mark IV.

Craig, Are you the keeper of Chad's goals or is this a psychic prediction? Look into your crystal ball for me, if you'd be so kind: when is my new RR Phantom coming - now or much later? :)

Stingroo
04-05-10, 07:33 PM
^ The same day my ZR1 is delivered. :)

jayoldschool
04-05-10, 07:50 PM
"The Lounge" in 3...2...1...

sven914
04-05-10, 08:01 PM
^...Still in RWD!

jayoldschool
04-05-10, 09:01 PM
Not anymore ;)

billc83
04-05-10, 09:24 PM
Confusing without any backstory thread is confusing without any backstory...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-05-10, 10:28 PM

Where's that big pile of cash that I so desire? Where's the rock solid economy that will lead people to maintain their cars to a T, which will drive sales of BG products in my clients through the roof? Which will only further drive my "move out of parent's house, then buy classic Cadillac/Lincoln" goal, and make it reality, not just a dream.

2) Buy Lincoln Mark IV.

Actually, you're pretty spot on there, except I don't know if I'd rather have the Mark IV or LT1 Brougham first. The LT1 is more practical and easier to own, and more fun to drive, but I've always liked the Mark IV's....

Destroyer
04-05-10, 10:53 PM
Make the car FWD and put an unreliable V8 that performs well but like's to lift it's heads off the block and gives the owner huge headaches. You would truly be blending old school looks with new school unreliability but Cadillac all the way! Of course I'm kidding, what idiot would do that? :histeric: A 472-500 sounds like a great solution. :cool2:

Stingroo
04-05-10, 11:20 PM
^ Appears to have missed the point of the thread, and instead took it as an opportunity to bash the N*.

77CDV
04-06-10, 01:53 AM
Where's that big pile of cash that I so desire? Where's the rock solid economy that will lead people to maintain their cars to a T, which will drive sales of BG products in my clients through the roof? Which will only further drive my "move out of parent's house, then buy classic Cadillac/Lincoln" goal, and make it reality, not just a dream.

Actually, you're pretty spot on there, except I don't know if I'd rather have the Mark IV or LT1 Brougham first. The LT1 is more practical and easier to own, and more fun to drive, but I've always liked the Mark IV's....

Practical, schmatical, you've wanted that Mark so bad for so long, I just can't see you springing for anything else as your first "toy" car. Now, how long you'd keep it and how quickly the Brougham would follow is open to debate (and a steady economy).

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-06-10, 07:49 AM
Practical, schmatical, you've wanted that Mark so bad for so long, I just can't see you springing for anything else as your first "toy" car. Now, how long you'd keep it and how quickly the Brougham would follow is open to debate (and a steady economy).

In all reality, what would probably happen is I'd find a real nice Mark IV for sale, drive it and do one of two things: find out it drives like that '77 Town Car I drove a few years back, which means without any sort of road feel what so ever and not buy it, or find out it drives like a Mark V, which means it has pretty decent road feel and buy it, fulfilling a longtime dream. If it really drives like people say it does, I'd just buy a 77-78 Mark V. Those still look almost as good as the IV, but drive pretty damn good for their age & size.

77CDV
04-06-10, 01:59 PM
So, you'll be getting the Mark V, then.

Bro-Ham
04-06-10, 02:00 PM
Chad, I don't know why I always feel compelled to constantly remind you that I want to see you in a FABulous car! :) If I didn't like you so much I don't think I'd mind but you're almost making ME have as a goal YOU getting a cool car! :) I'm sending all my positive energy in your direction - get out there and sell that BG like hell, cowboy! :) You can do it!!! :) :) :)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-06-10, 07:57 PM
It needs to be a ***** wagon too. The Mark could do that, if we were living in Detroit in 1979.

orconn
04-06-10, 08:07 PM
As I think I've said before, I had a Continental Mark V on order for several months back in 1977. It would have been dark blue, vinyl top deleted, with Tobac (dark tan) leather seating. Because a strike at Ford delayed production and delivery of the car, I got tired of waiting ....actually I got tired of the whole car, and cancelled my order. A few weeks later I saw a '76 Seville on my local Cadillac dealer's lot and since it had very low miles and the discount off of new was substantial I bought my first Seville. Having driven several Mark IVs and Mark Vs since, I have never regretted cancelling the order.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-06-10, 08:11 PM
I did not know that. That would have been one hell of a sweet Mark V. Dark blue/dark tan would be one sweet combo! Did you want the 400 or 460? Why do you like the Seville so much more?

77CDV
04-06-10, 08:31 PM
I'm interested to hear the answer to that one, too. Hell of a swing in direction.

Destroyer
04-06-10, 08:38 PM
^ Appears to have missed the point of the thread, and instead took it as an opportunity to bash the N*.Who said anything about a N*?:histeric: Besides, I own one........I can do that. :cool2:

Stingroo
04-06-10, 08:43 PM
Aw c'mon, I haven't been here as long as some but even I get the gist of it. ;)

You should direct your attention to the link in my signature, by the way. :thumbsup:

77CDV
04-06-10, 11:53 PM
You should direct your attention to the link in my signature, by the way. :thumbsup:

Shameless hussy! ;)

Stingroo
04-06-10, 11:53 PM
Lies and slander.

greencadillacmatt
04-07-10, 01:04 AM
Shameless hussy! ;)

Hey, whatever gets the job done! :lildevil:

77CDV
04-07-10, 01:18 AM
:lol:

orconn
04-07-10, 08:23 PM
I did not know that. That would have been one hell of a sweet Mark V. Dark blue/dark tan would be one sweet combo! Did you want the 400 or 460? Why do you like the Seville so much more?

I think the real question is "Why did I order the Continental in the first place?"
While my own family had Packards and then Cadillacs, I had a favorite uncle that had a 1947 Continental convertible, light green with dark green leather upholstery which I very much admired. Then in 1956 my Aunt Toni was one of the first owners of the then brand new Continental Mark II. It was dark grey metallic with light and dark grey leather upholstry. Now despite having grown up around Rolls-Royces, Mercedes 300s, Jag Saloons and Cads and Lincolns in Los Angeles, the Continental Mark II was in a league by itself, modern but at the same time classic. Then along came the Continentals of the early sixties ..... smaller and elegant. So you can see where I am going, by the mid seventies when I was able to afford a really nice new luxury automobile I decided to try out the Mark V, I had had several friends and assiociates who had Mark IVs. I thought at the time the styling of the Mark V was rather elegant, so I went down to the dealership to try on out, but they only had leftover Mark IVs on the lot to try out. I tried the Mark IV out and although I wasn't impressed with the way it drove (to much like the '67 Thunderbird I had previously owned. Anyway I went ahead and ordered a new Mark V, being assured that if I didn't like the way it drove when it was delivered I would not have to take delivery. So I took the brochure for the new Mark and a receipt for my deposit and went home.

For the first couple of weeks I was still excited about getting the new car, but weeks turned into months and the strike at Ford was still going on and no one could tell me when my car would be delivered. After three and a half months I was getting tired of looking at the brochure and to be honest it seemed like I had already had the car and the ash trays were already full!
To be honest I quess I was just bored with the waiting. So I went in to see the sales manager who was my salesman for this deal and told him I had changed my mind and to please cancel my order.

Meanwhile I had driven the brand new '77 Cadillacs and I really liked the way they drove .... so different from Cadillacs of preveious years. But I really didn't like the way they looked. I also drove an Eldorado convertible and found it as bad as the Contnental Mark IV or maybe worse. I had also driven the new Seville but by 1977 they were approaching $15,000., considerably more than the even the Eldo.

After returning to California from overseas I had had for my DDs a '67 Thunderbird, a '72 XJ6 Jaguar, and a '75 Chrysler Cordoba ... all smaller than the full sized Detroit cars of the day. I think when push came to shove the
Continental was just too big, I wasn't impressed with the build quality of Lincolns in general and truth be told I found their handing attrocious. Later on I drove another uncle's Mark V and found all my initial impressions to be confirmed.

I realize that among admirers of the old Detroit land yachts the first Sevilles are thought to be "gussied up" Novas, but in reality they were very special cars in their time period, which is why they sold so well. They handled better than other American cars of that time, the fuel injected 5.7 ltr gave it adequate performance while overcoming the foibles of smog emission technology so common at the time, fit and finish was superior to all but the very most expensive European cars, ... and the styling was a very nice departure from the norm of the seventies. Many thought the notch back Sevilles to be real classics at the time and many consider them among the best designs of the 1970's.

I kept my Seville for nine years and enjoyed it from the day I took delivery to the day I sadly bid it fairwell. Today I still consider it one my all time favorites; in third place behind my Alfa 164 and my '95 Seville STS. I quess my affinity has just always been with sports sedans (emphasis on handling over 0 to 60 times) as opposed to luxo-barges. But each to his own preferences!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-07-10, 08:41 PM
Interesting. Having driven a '79 Mark V, I will say it handled a lot better than a '77 Town Car I drove earlier, but to say it handled well would be a significant stretch of verbage. But, as I've read in Lincoln magazines, the Mark V handled a lot better than a IV, and it was pretty dang good for it's size and weight all things considered, but I can completely understand how boaty it would feel compared to a Cordoba or XJ6.