: Where are the jobs?

ga_etc
03-10-10, 11:33 PM
I have been working the same job for 4 years and 5 months at a gas station as a cashier. A couple of years ago the company I hired on with was bought out. I have never really cared for the company that bought out the other, but I had a lot of regular customers so at least seeing some of the same faces kept it somewhat the same as it was. Well, today that all came to an end. There has been a lot going on in my life recently, especially around my house. The manager and assistant manager knew what all was going on, so they understood, but I slipped up this past Sunday. I don't know how all states operate, but in Georgia stores aren't allowed to sell alcohol on Sunday. Well, guess what I did without even thinking about it? Yep, sold beer. I was off Monday and Tuesday, so I wasn't sure what would be done about it. I got to work today and the manager told me to clock in that she needed to talk to me. She had me sign a write up, over selling the beer, and informed me that I was done.

Now that this chapter of my life has come to an close, I am open to the idea of relocating. So tell me where you are and what the job market is like there.

itschrome
03-11-10, 12:06 AM
Dude sorry to her that man. that sucks so much. I hate to tell you but its pretty much shit every where. I have been hunting since September and I'm still hunting. I don't know what your situation is as far as job skills go but I wish you the best of luck man. The only area that i notice has lots of hiring is in data entry and office admin work. Id take one of these jobs my self just to help things out a bit but they wont hire me cause I am over qualified. I hate that phrase so much. I can even get retail work cause they think I wont last long on account of my qualifications being beyond that needed for the position. Its retarded. Then when i go for work in my field I am having the problem of not being as qualified as other, its like I am stuck in some sort of jobless purgatory. So i wish you the best man aand try and keep your chin up.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-11-10, 12:52 AM
Sorry to hear that, you get preoccupied with something else and slip up once, and wham it's over. Stupid no tolerance rules. Atleast you didn't sell to anyone underage.

Up here in MN, it's the same as everywhere else. Dead. No money, no job openings, no progress.

Jesda
03-11-10, 01:32 AM
Damn, that sucks!

What are your skills and what experience do you have? A job loss is a wonderful opportunity to not just move on, but move up as well. St Louis is oriented around healthcare, financial services, engineering, and aerospace (Boeing-MD are here). Lots of corporate headquarters are based here as well, so its a great town to live in if you're into management, accounting, and administration. Enterprise and Emerson Electric are here as well as Purina and Anheuser-Busch.

ga_etc
03-11-10, 01:54 AM
All I have ever really done is basic jobs. My first job was working at a grocery store bagging groceries and general cleaning around the store for a year. Second job was working at a carpet mill running a heat set, the machine that set the twist in yarn. Third job was a delivery driver for a local office supply company. The fourth and longest job was the gas station.

If I could find an entry level position at a good company where there is room for advancement I would go back to school and do what is necessary to move up. I just want to know that if I were to go somewhere I can find a job making enough money to support myself.

dkozloski
03-11-10, 02:35 AM
Join the military. The services have some of the best technical schools in the world. Army aviation is good if you want to learn helicopters.

Jesda
03-11-10, 02:46 AM
And if you dont want to get shipped out, join the guard and use the education benefits to your advantage.

ga_etc
03-11-10, 03:44 AM
No military for me thanks.

dkozloski
03-11-10, 04:05 AM
I am disappoint! May you have an endless line of dead end jobs.

Jesda
03-11-10, 04:14 AM

Guard isn't really military as we commonly know it. You go through boot camp and you end up with a quiet weekend job that's no worse than what you're doing now. However, there's respect and some awesome benefits.

If this was 5 years ago, I'd say try working for an auto dealership, but those jobs (either sales or service) involve long hours that leave little time for school.

The other option is to take out a bunch of federal loans, go to school full time, live on campus, starve a little, and earn a worthwhile degree. You can probably score a work-study program to help with costs.

Stingroo
03-11-10, 08:22 AM
lol Work Study doesn't pay much. You get $2k to start and minimum wage.

Auto dealership service has pretty long hours, but if you're good you can make some serious bank at a big dealership. When we lived in Massachusetts my dad had a draw of 2k a week writing service (basically, you set your own pay with some dealerships, and if you write more than you take in, you're set) with bonus checks that were often the same (these are commission on the sales you make after you cover your draw for the month, in this case, after the first $8000).

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-11-10, 08:34 AM
Yes, the automotive business, as in dealerships and stuff, is one of the few areas where you can get a really decent job with no formal college education needed, provided you can sell and deal with the public. It's one of those few areas of commerce that people always forget about.... I remember back in high school, I was always told that if I didn't get a four year degree that I couldn't get a good paying job anywhere.....well not in the car biz. Many sales and service managers got their high paying jobs though years of experience, not a fancy degree.

ejguillot
03-11-10, 09:03 AM

Do reconsider, not every military job involves deploying overseas to a combat zone. Plus, if you do 4 years and get out, there are a lot of job openings (particularly government) that give a preference to veterans. And if you get a security clearance, there are another group of high paying jobs that 99% of the unemployed don't even qualify for.

cooncat
03-11-10, 09:10 AM
You could perhaps get a temporary job working for the census.

RightTurn
03-11-10, 11:35 AM
I am disappoint!

Ahaha. :lol:

RightTurn
03-11-10, 11:37 AM
GA--the economy is still pretty good in the Houston metro area, as in most large metro areas in TX. How do you plan to support yourself while looking for work?

Stingroo
03-11-10, 12:20 PM
RT you're going to convince him, lol. He was talking about moving to TX to be closer to some friends already too.

I sense road trip.

ga_etc
03-11-10, 12:27 PM
RT you probably remember me asking you abouy Houston before. I still have an open invitation to go stay with my friends that live there, and that's what I am very seriously considering. I can stay with them still I can find a job and get on my feet. She's been telling me that things were still holding out there.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
03-11-10, 01:23 PM
Nothing up North. I know people that have been actively job hunting for months now and still nothing.

RightTurn
03-11-10, 01:31 PM
RT you probably remember me asking you abouy Houston before. I still have an open invitation to go stay with my friends that live there, and that's what I am very seriously considering. I can stay with them still I can find a job and get on my feet. She's been telling me that things were still holding out there.

Well, I'd suggest signing up with as many temp agencies as you can. Once you get a temporary assignment you can often work yourself into a permanent job. There are TONS of industries/refineries/chemical plants along the ship channel. Check the Houston Chronicle online to see job listings. http://www.chron.com/channel/jobs/

Good luck to you.

Jesda
03-11-10, 01:37 PM
You could perhaps get a temporary job working for the census.

Well, I'd suggest signing up with as many temp agencies as you can. Once you get a temporary assignment you can often work yourself into a permanent job. There are TONS of industries/refineries/chemical plants along the ship channel. Check the Houston Chronicle online to see job listings. http://www.chron.com/channel/jobs/

Good luck to you.

Solid ideas! I've found a few decent permanent gigs through temp agencies. Unfortunately the "temp" part these days at most firms is about a year before you get converted to permanent with full benefits. If you can manage your own healthcare/insurance costs for a while, its a great way to get your foot in the door.

Don't rule out trades like plumbing and such. Those jobs pay very well if you're smart, customer-oriented, and logical.

orconn
03-11-10, 01:55 PM
Once you get your immediate income needs met you should address getting some college under your belt. So many doors are closed without some college, if not a degree. Use the community college route to get the first two years out of the way.

It is a shame you have ruled out the military, because Dkoz is right, for a young person looking for training while earning a paycheck a stint in one of the services makes a lot of sense. Not only do you get valuable training and experience, but also a security clearance (hopefully), college eduation opportunites and a chance to travel and meet people from totally different backgrounds from your own. All of which should interest a bright young fellow from central Georgia who has only held low level jobs.

By the way, I recently read that a security clearance was worth anywhere from $10,000 to $30,000 additional pay, not to mention opening many doors that would otherwise be closed to those without one.

93DevilleUSMC
03-11-10, 07:09 PM
And if you dont want to get shipped out, join the guard and use the education benefits to your advantage.

Actually, the states' National Guards have been getting deployed as much as the regular military due to Iraq and Afghanistan. Even still, being a deployed guardsmen means some serious monetary benefits, and I think your pay is tax free while in a combat zone.

Jesda
03-11-10, 07:56 PM
Actually, the states' National Guards have been getting deployed as much as the regular military due to Iraq and Afghanistan. Even still, being a deployed guardsmen means some serious monetary benefits, and I think your pay is tax free while in a combat zone.

Yeah, but you mostly end up doing support/auxiliary work, but in a foreign country with spiders the size of your head.

93DevilleUSMC
03-11-10, 08:25 PM
Yeah, but you mostly end up doing support/auxiliary work, but in a foreign country with spiders the size of your head.

Depends on the unit type. The Guard has both combat and support units, so you see them doing the same stuff as the active units. As for the rest, that's what you gotta do to get the good bennies.

Night Wolf
03-11-10, 10:40 PM
The middle Georgia area is one of the few places that the bad economic times hasn't hit hard, even the house market, while it took a slight hit, isn't nearly as bad as the median.

No doubt it's due to Robins AFB and the extremely large amount of transient people going thru here. The base recently hired on something like 700 new mechanics.

usajobs.com

Select the base and browse jobs. I'm not sure what is there as entry level with no degree or tech school background, but check it out. If you see something that catches your eye, send me a PM before you apply.

Oh and most of the jobs out there are civillan, not military. I work for the Air Force thru the Department of Defense, I am a Gov't (Civil Service) employee working on military aircraft, but I am not military. Most of the perks from working on base apply to me as well.

ga_etc
03-11-10, 11:25 PM
I filed for unemployment today, so hopefully that will kick in and I can still survive until I run across something else. I plan on hitting the temp agencies in town Monday. I was going to work on it today, but the family ruined that thought again.

dkozloski
03-11-10, 11:49 PM
I filed for unemployment today, so hopefully that will kick in and I can still survive until I run across something else. I plan on hitting the temp agencies in town Monday. I was going to work on it today, but the family ruined that thought again.
If you were fired/terminated for cause you're ineligible for unemployment compensation. If you try to collect anyway it's almost always jail time and restitution around here.

Aron9000
03-12-10, 02:18 AM
Sorry about your job loss, but look at it as an opportunity to explore a new avenue in your life. The economy in middle Tennessee is doing okay, but don't go looking for a job in industry/manufacturing/automotive manufacturing.

My mom worked in automotive manufacturing and was probably the #2 or #3 person behind the plant manager, and her company went bankrupt. She's been out of work for over a year trying to find something in her field, anything she has found has been a 25k type of job that she is way overqualified for.

Jesda
03-12-10, 02:27 AM
If you were fired/terminated for cause you're ineligible for unemployment compensation. If you try to collect anyway it's almost always jail time and restitution around here.

Depends on the state.

77CDV
03-12-10, 03:58 AM
All I can say is, forget about CA. Average 12% unemployment out here.

ewill3rd
03-12-10, 08:05 AM
I know people that have been looking for months.

Car dealers used to be good places to go but with recent events things have slowed considerably. That coupled with the advanced technology that you need to understand make it a hard job to walk into. I came in during the early 90's where things were still pretty simple but it has been a steep learning curve.

The automotive business took a hit after 9/11 and then another one when the recent administration came to power.
Threatening banks, terrorizing business owners with the prospect of fines and mandates that will drain company coffers, and punishing every successful person in the country have driven every business owner in the country to cut back and minimize staff. Every business I know of is operating on the bare minimum and heaping more work on the remaining employees. This is probably the worst hiring climate I have seen in my 42 years of existence. I certainly don't want to turn this political.... I'm just saying.

I would agree that concentrating on getting a formal education is an excellent idea. Even if you just go to a trade school or get training at a community college towards a real occupation would be the best starting point.
Try to figure out a career path that you feel suits you and concentrate on meeting requirements to aquire that job. Most jobs require something, and even if they don't you should make an effort to prove that you have some sort of formal training in the essentials.
You might have to take another crappy job to keep the bills paid, Lord knows I worked a few.
I even got fired from some, but finding work wasn't quite as hard as it is these days.

Best of luck to you.
I don't know of any real jobs around here.... I am sure there is work but the cost of living is terrible unless you live pretty far out from the district.

ga_etc
03-16-10, 03:04 PM
I know I have been AWOL so I wanted to update real quick while I can. I am currently hanging out at Krystals eating and using their WiFi. I have to be somewhere that I can plug in my laptop because my battery is trying to crap out on me and will only hold a full charge for 10-15 mins before it shuts off on me.

I just wanted to thank everyone that has offered suggestions on what to do. I have gone around to several of the temp agencies in town and am hoping that I will hear something from one of them soon. With internet no longer readily available it's hard to just jump online and search for something online at will. There's not telling what will happen right now, but I have my fingers crossed that something good will happen. And who knows, this might even work out to my advantage.

As a side note, if anyone has any other ideas while I'm not able to post on here Stingroo or 93devilleUSMC can direct you to my Facebook. I have internet on my phone and can somewhat read the forum, but it takes forever and my phone tends to spaz out and turns itself off for no reason. I can do the mobile versions of Facebook and MySpace with no issues though.

ga_etc
03-16-10, 03:23 PM
http://www.facebook.com/reqs.php#!/profile.php?ref=profile&id=100000290765054

Or I could just do that while I'm thinking about it, huh? I know, I know, don't say it. lol

RightTurn
03-16-10, 07:10 PM
Ok. I won't say it. :tard:

Rocket88
03-17-10, 10:42 AM
Well, there are lots of jobs up here in Canada. Our economy did tank the way the way that the US economy did.

Seriously tho, you are going to have to look into some higher education if you want to stay off the lowest rungs of the corporate ladder. Post secondary education in the US job market is becoming an absolute necessity.

The military is not a bad idea either, as long as you can find a way not to get shipped out into the middle east.

Good luck with your hunt!

93DevilleUSMC
03-18-10, 05:34 PM
Well, there are lots of jobs up here in Canada. Our economy did tank the way the way that the US economy did.

Seriously tho, you are going to have to look into some higher education if you want to stay off the lowest rungs of the corporate ladder. Post secondary education in the US job market is becoming an absolute necessity.

The military is not a bad idea either, as long as you can find a way not to get shipped out into the middle east.

Good luck with your hunt!

Not getting deployed will be next to impossible. We're at war in two theaters right now.

Austin, look into the Hope and Pell grants.

tdyguy2k
03-18-10, 07:13 PM
I am disappoint! May you have an endless line of dead end jobs.

Hey Koz, that's pretty messed up to wish that on the young man. I spent 26 years in the Air Force, and while I agree it's a good deal as far as pay and education, it's not for everyone. Cut the guy some slack.

Good luck with your job search. It's tough out there, but with perseverence and patience you'll find something.

RightTurn
03-19-10, 12:17 AM
Koz is not known for slack-cutting. :lol: He prefers to slap us around.