: 500 in a 85 eldorado ?

laclover
08-18-04, 03:12 PM
I read the similar post and curiosity got the best of me. I have an opportunity to buy a 500 and tranny real cheap, but i looked and measured my eldo and the older eldo and i just not sure it would fit. If its possible at all i will make it happen regardless of the difficulty. I need any input good or against the project. :welcome: By the way my eldo is a convertible that i really wish could give me more torque than the 4.1. :worship: :suspense:

tripleyellow78cad
08-18-04, 08:20 PM
I read the similar post and curiosity got the best of me. I have an opportunity to buy a 500 and tranny real cheap, but i looked and measured my eldo and the older eldo and i just not sure it would fit. If its possible at all i will make it happen regardless of the difficulty. I need any input good or against the project. :welcome: By the way my eldo is a convertible that i really wish could give me more torque than the 4.1. :worship: :suspense:

the 500 may fit, as i recall the 1981-1982 eldorados had the 368 dfi V864
engine and that engine has the same or almost the same dimentions as a 500
and having a hard running 500 in a light cad drop top would kick@$$!!!.
but going with this engine you wont be able to use quite a few things in your eldo, like the cruise control,and a few other things that i can't recall right now,
but good luck with your build :burn:

barge master
08-19-04, 05:02 AM
The 79-81 cars had the 368 alright. The 500 is no fundamentally different size wize. I don't know what tranny they used, but you don't even want to try the O/D that's in an 85.

laclover
08-19-04, 07:13 PM
This is good, so far i have recieved two yays and no nays. I bought the engine and a spare tranny and figure i might as well drop the heads off to get serviced and cylinder walls honed and new rings installed. Any other ideas i would love to hear. So my install will go smooth as possible. thanks people :)

barge master
08-19-04, 09:15 PM
I'm wondering if that tranny out of the older car is larger than the one in your 85. It is a substantially smaller car than the older ones. I would think the last of the 368 Eldos had some version of the TH400 that was unique to the the smaller body. Some Eldo freak out there must know.

laclover
08-20-04, 03:03 AM
I thought about it and come to remember when i bought the car it had a 368 in it but didnt run right so i snatched it in favor of the 4.1. :hmm: Nothing but trouble since. :banghead: I still have the tranny that came with the car but didnt notice any difference between the two trannys. What should i look for to tell the difference? Also, does any body have any suggestions on the fuel system? Keep the fuel inj or happily embrace the carb deal and maybe even swap intakes for performance. Ok maybe its overkill, im not looking to burn out trannys. Allthough if i dont get some guidance, when in doubt buy the best. Still setting up a formula that will last is one of my goals. Any one with any good ideas i am all ears! :worship:

barge master
08-21-04, 04:25 PM
You took out a 368 and put in a 4100? I hope you're on medication now. LOL. I would bet my life the 368 was gone by 85. Hmmm. Anyways, if it was me for the sake of simplicity, I'd carb it with an intake and twice pipes and be done with it. The car will scream. I'd use the trans that came with the 500 if the size matches. Even back in the day, the trannys behind bigger engines had more clutch material than the 6cyl and small V-8 cars. I just noticed your car is a ragtop too. Sure does sound like it will be worth the effort. Nobody will ever suspect what that car was about 'till you mash it.

luddyludwick
08-21-04, 05:12 PM
Barge master,

The '85 had the TH200R4...lighter duty, saps less power, some say it handles less power.

The 368 cars had the TH400...three speed, heavy duty, used with all the higher power motors.

Bruce

laclover
08-22-04, 02:15 PM
You took out a 368 and put in a 4100? I hope you're on medication now. LOL. I would bet my life the 368 was gone by 85. Hmmm. Anyways, if it was me for the sake of simplicity, I'd carb it with an intake and twice pipes and be done with it. The car will scream. I'd use the trans that came with the 500 if the size matches. Even back in the day, the trannys behind bigger engines had more clutch material than the 6cyl and small V-8 cars. I just noticed your car is a ragtop too. Sure does sound like it will be worth the effort. Nobody will ever suspect what that car was about 'till you mash it.
Yes Barge Master the engine was swapped when i got it. But i couldnt be mad, i only paid 500 for it with the bb motor acting funny (ha,ha, LOL). I didnt know much about caddy engines, so i figured the 4.1 was the best motor for the car. The caddy people made it with the 4.1 so they MUST have known what was best.LOL. Now, three motors later i am sure the only way to go is away from the 4.1