: Bob Lutz retiring

V-Eight
03-10-10, 11:59 AM
Just read this:

http://www.businessweek.com/autos/autobeat/archives/2010/03/bob_lutz_retire.html

Hopefully someone else like him comes along to keep GM on the right track.

Stingroo
03-10-10, 12:04 PM
I'm saddened by this.

Who doesn't love Maximum Bob? He was the driving force behind so many GM vehicles I love. :(

itschrome
03-10-10, 12:05 PM
Aw man, total bummer. He will be missed and one can only hope his lead and direction will be carried on.

orconn
03-10-10, 12:14 PM
Well, the guy deserves some retirement. I agree Bob Lutz had a hand in most of what GM had that I was interested in, but let's face it can't be fun working with those "Peter Principaled" out numbers wonks currently busting chops at GM. Better Bob has a few years to enjoy the fruits of his labors!

V-Eight
03-10-10, 12:16 PM
That's true he's certainly earned it

billc83
03-10-10, 05:40 PM
Lutz certainly has his place in motoring history, and is an interesting case study for being probably the only real "car guy" near the top. But, he's also overseen as many failures as successes throughout his lengthy career. He was also known for putting his foot in his mouth. More than anything, he was an over-the-top character.

Not to downplay the man's accomplishments. It is sad to see him go. But he's just a man; not the automotive messiah.

His book about his time at Chrysler during the 90s was pretty entertaining, and had some unorthodox business tips.

Stingroo
03-10-10, 05:46 PM
Oh, I agree, there've been some flops too, but all in all, I think he's a good genuine car guy, and exactly what the industry needs. He would be the automotive messiah if he had his talent and the cost-cutting ways of a Carlos Goshn. That'd be a deadly combo (for those of you who don't know, look what Goshn did for Nissan/Renault). Again, not a perfect person, or automotive messiah, but definitely a positive force in the long run.

I'll miss reading about Bob's speculation. Even the ones that aren't/weren't true (see Return of the Caprice) were still nice to entertain your thoughts about what could have been, and sometimes should have.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-10-10, 06:00 PM
Lutz saved GM as much as Roger Smith almost killed it. Lutz made GM's cars cool and desirable again, after Smith worked tirelessly to make them bland and badge engineer the hell out of them to cut costs. Thanks to Smith, Oldsmobile got a mangled brand image and is now dead and ironically enough, his brain child, Saturn, never turned a profit in it's entire life and is now being killed as well.

gary88
03-10-10, 06:20 PM
He gets props from me for helping develop the 3-series :thumbsup:

Jesda
03-11-10, 12:43 AM
Goodbye Lutz, hello Cimarron, Cavalier, and Beretta!

Stingroo
03-11-10, 01:46 AM
Goodbye Lutz, hello Cimarron, Cavalier, and Beretta!

You mean ATS, Cobalt, and uh... slightly-larger Cobalt.

:thepan: