: Where to next?

Jesda
03-10-10, 07:37 AM
I'm doing more road trips again. I stopped doing them for a while other than a few regional ones here and there. I want to knock a few more out before graduating and I'm open to ideas.

There's not much left of anything major that I haven't seen in the US. Maybe its time to go to Europe or China or dig more into Canada.

I have no interest in Mexico, but I guess I'd go if a flight deal showed up and my Spanish-speaking friend tagged along.

Stingroo
03-10-10, 07:45 AM
Miami. I'd be totally in on a Jesda-esqe roadtrip. Looks like so much fun. lol

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-10-10, 08:00 AM
I voted Deep South, if not for just the food. You should head up to Minneapolis for the summer meet though. :)

EcSTSatic
03-10-10, 08:46 AM
I'm partial to Texas and especially San Antonio. There's the Alamo (take the guided tour for the history), the Riverwalk with plenty of shops and good food, Fiesta Texas for the Disney-like experience, Sea World, and many more things to see and do.
For a great scenic road trip get off of IH35 before Ft Worth and jump on US281. It runs parallel to 35 but there is no traffic or construction, it's mostly 70MPH and the scenery, especially in the spring is inspiring! The bluebonnets and paintbrush are a must see. It takes you right into San Antonio thru a few cool towns along the way including Hico, home of the famous Koffee Kup restaurant and the disputed resting place of Billy the Kid.

orconn
03-10-10, 09:48 AM
I'd suggest Montreal and Quebec City. Great food, prettty scenery, pleasant people..... as close to Europe as you will get by car. Maritime Provinces of Canada are also a great trip!

itschrome
03-10-10, 10:36 AM
Toronto can be great fun. I guess it really depends on what you consider fun or interested in doing really. But i never pass up a chance to go explore and enjoy Toronto. My personal favorite area is the kensington market area. lots of fun and counter culture goodies to be had.

orconn
03-10-10, 11:07 AM
Save overseas travel for when the exchange rates are more in your favor.

hueterm
03-10-10, 11:38 AM
You're really tempting me to take a blitzkrieg 10 day Toronto/Montreal/Quebec City/Niagara Falls roadtrip in August -- when the temps here are the worst......

gary88
03-10-10, 11:43 AM
Vegas, no question.

itschrome
03-10-10, 11:55 AM
You're really tempting me to take a blitzkrieg 10 day Toronto/Montreal/Quebec City/Niagara Falls roadtrip in August -- when the temps here are the worst......

Oh man that sound slike a great trip. I have never done Quebec city but i have been to all the others. Niagara falls in August though, might want to reconsider this one. Very crowded and so many annoy kids running around. I never go to Niagara in the summer, just too many people. its best in spring/early fall any ways. Montreal is so nice too, but i love Toronto more. It suites me as a person more in the sense that it indulges all my vices and desires. The night life, the music scene, the indie film scene located there, plus there is the molsen and Labbat breweries there. always fun for a tour. I wonder if the GM Oshawa plant offers tours. that would be neat, go see the Camaro get made.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
03-10-10, 01:29 PM
I voted New Orleans as well. I think you'd like it Jesda.

Kick94sts
03-10-10, 01:32 PM
Idk if you've ever been on Rt. 66 but that's something I really want to do.

iowasevillests
03-10-10, 01:44 PM
Vegas, no question.

My vote as well

itschrome
03-10-10, 01:56 PM
i dont see what the huge draw is about vegas. In theory Vegas is definitely a go to destination. How ever once there i found my self disappointed. sure theres the heat, but thats a given. What no one mentions is the smell. Vegas stinks and I dont just mean out side. Which by the way always has a faint smell of sewage. But inside too, think about it you have thousands of people going in and out of the vegas heat getting all sweaty, drinking, eating, smoking, its nauseating some times. Plus you need cash, far more than any other vacation. Every thing is so expensive, sure there are deals but really in the end anything you might actually wanna do is gonna cost you. wanna see a show, your gonna play around $100 a person or more usually. wanna check out some attraction, prepare to drive, and drive. which costs gas money, esp running the ac in the desert heat.

77CDV
03-10-10, 02:52 PM
I vote none of the above, and suggest a trip to the Four Corners. Northeast AZ and northwest NM, along with southern UT, offers some truely amazing scenery. Drive US 93 along the Virgin River. See Monument Valley, the Painted Desert, and Zion National Park.

New England is only really pretty in the Fall, and Mardi Gras is the only time to go the the Big Easy. Having been to Cleveland, I can assure you that you're not missing anything.

Now if we're talking trips abroad, sign me up for Spain and the UK, esp. Scotland. Ireland would be nice, too. Wouldn't say no to Italy, either. Australia and New Zealand would be cool.

Aron9000
03-10-10, 03:10 PM
If you are looking for great food, fun, and weirdos, you can't beat the Big Easy IMO.

hueterm
03-10-10, 04:34 PM
Vegas is nice, but would have to fly there. There's a whole lotta nuthin between STL and LV...

A lot of this depends on time of year. NOLA is miserable in the summer, so is LV. New England would be in the winter, as would Toronto.

I'd take more than one, if you have time.

eyekandyboats.inc
03-10-10, 04:52 PM
come on up to toronto and we will try to gather most caddy folk and meet some place! have a night on the town

slk230mb
03-10-10, 08:08 PM
I'd like to see you come through NY again, for a proper visit this time.

codewize
03-10-10, 08:33 PM
New Orleans

Cleveland - Ehh

"New England" - In deed the best sea food you'll ever eat. Ever anywhere. If you've never been or you think you don't like fish. Go. It'll change your entire outlook on fresh fish and what fish is supposed to taste like.

Miami - Why? Nothing at all in FL. It's a waste of time.

Toronto - Maybe, If you've never been, Canada can be nice.

Nova Scotia/NB/Newfoundland - I was just there and very disappointed. I hear there's great scenery there but not much else. I didn't see anything worth seeing again.

Las Vegas - This would also be a great choice if you've never been there. I've never been but am planning to go this year. I'm sure it's a great time.

San Antonio or Dallas - Ehh

thebigjimsho
03-10-10, 08:33 PM
I vote none of the above, and suggest a trip to the Four Corners. Northeast AZ and northwest NM, along with southern UT, offers some truely amazing scenery. Drive US 93 along the Virgin River. See Monument Valley, the Painted Desert, and Zion National Park.

New England is only really pretty in the Fall, and Mardi Gras is the only time to go the the Big Easy. Having been to Cleveland, I can assure you that you're not missing anything.

Now if we're talking trips abroad, sign me up for Spain and the UK, esp. Scotland. Ireland would be nice, too. Wouldn't say no to Italy, either. Australia and New Zealand would be cool.
Great. So Jesda can take some pics of amazing scenery and hang out with horses? Please. New England is gorgeous with snow, falling leaves and in full greenery. But fun is had at the many Irish pubs. Or eating seafood until you choke on it. New Orleans can't be beat for people watching and partying. Cleveland doesn't sound like fun but has some surprisingly nice scenery and the lake is gorgeous in summer. And downtown isn't dull by any means. They've got a jumpin club scene...

thebigjimsho
03-10-10, 08:35 PM
And, of course, I voted New England...

itschrome
03-10-10, 08:54 PM
Great. So Jesda can take some pics of amazing scenery and hang out with horses? Please. New England is gorgeous with snow, falling leaves and in full greenery. But fun is had at the many Irish pubs. Or eating seafood until you choke on it.

yeah New England is pretty awesome all year round. Tons of cool stops all over the place and tons of awesome food.

creeker
03-10-10, 09:57 PM
My wife and I in the late 70's and early 80's visited the Oregon coast
a lot, 12 times in approx. 15 years,we went into California a few times
along the coast also, it has mind blowing seascapes and scenery, it's
best when there's a storm, quaint motels right on the ocean and very friendly small town people, I hope to go again before too long, haven't been down for quite awhile.

Florian
03-11-10, 12:07 AM
Ive been to all the places listed....N. Orl is good for about 24 hours, and youre confined to the Quarter and the Garden District, outside of that...run, run quickly.
Come to Cleve....lots of things to do (RnR HOF, Football HoF just 50 mins south in Canton) Lake Erie Islands just 45 minutes west of Cleve, Cedar Point....etc, etc, etc. Oh, and Ill buy you a beer.

F

Stingroo
03-11-10, 12:10 AM
Free beer. Cleveland it is. lol

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
03-11-10, 04:01 AM
Hell, Jesda if you head to Cleveland I'll meet you there. Its only a 5-6 hour drive from me.

RightTurn
03-11-10, 10:39 AM
New Orleans. :yup:

93DevilleUSMC
03-11-10, 06:31 PM
Read the lyrics, Jesda..you know where you REALLY wanna go

Come on
I'm goin' down to New Orleans to see about a friend of mine
I'm goin' down to New Orleans and leavin' all of this behind
Headin' south from Detroit
I got Cajun cookin' on my mind
When I get to New Orleans someone gonna treat me right
Yeah in a town like New Orleans someone gonna treat me right
I'll be high 10 Rollin' till the early morning break daylight

A jambalaya and a crawfish pie gonna start my day
But when the sun goes down we gonna "bon temps roulez"
Hey

I'm goin' down to New Orleans where the stars on the sidewalk shine
Burnin' through Mississippi with the Big Easy on my mind

When I get to New Orleans someone gonna treat me right
Yeah in a town like New Orleans someone gonna treat me right
And I'm gonna party like the devil if the Neville brothers play tonight

Jambalaya and a crawfish pie gonna make my day
Down on the Bayou singing Hey Pocky Way

Down in New Orleans good peoples they's hard to find
I bet he's making gumbo and drinkin' homemade wine
A jukebox shakin' and breakin' down in New Orleans
I'll be the highest hillbilly that Bourbon Street has ever seen
Oh yeah, yeah

I'm goin' down to New Orleans and leavin' all of this behind
If the good Lord's willing and the rivers don't start to rise

And when I get to New Orleans someone's gonna treat me right
Said in a town like New Orleans someone gonna treat me right
All the cats in the cradle gonna rock this kid tonight
Oh hey

A jukebox shakin' and breakin' down in New Orleans
And if you're payin' for fun The French Quarter's really all you need

I'm going Down to New Orleans
Down to New Orleans
[Repeat]
Going down, down
Down, down tonight
[Repeat]

fierodough
03-11-10, 07:24 PM
Visit Toronto, Then come down to Ottawa! (you are welcome to stay at our place!) then we can take you to party in Montreal!

PS: Canadian women FTMFW!!! :yup:

XjiwBwBL4Qo

Stingroo
03-11-10, 07:31 PM
PS: Canadian women FTMFW!!! :yup:

Indeed. I'm quite fond of the one I'm with. :thumbsup:

MacMuse
03-11-10, 08:55 PM
I'm going off the board with my vote.

Northwest young man. Specifically, Mt. Rushmore area (Rapid City, SD). Plenty of open plains driving to get there, then wonderful hills for exploring.

dkozloski
03-11-10, 11:12 PM
Grand Canyon. Alaska Highway.

thebigjimsho
03-11-10, 11:18 PM
I will say, Toronto has the best women...AND...they love to marry down. You can talk to any of them, even the stunning ones are personable...

thebigjimsho
03-11-10, 11:19 PM
I'm going off the board with my vote.

Northwest young man. Specifically, Mt. Rushmore area (Rapid City, SD). Plenty of open plains driving to get there, then wonderful hills for exploring.
I think Jesda has done that driving to Washington and back...

V-Eight
03-11-10, 11:23 PM
Indeed. I'm quite fond of the one I'm with. :thumbsup:

Hmmm, I didn't realize she was born in Canada.

orconn
03-11-10, 11:36 PM
Actually I don't know anything about Cleveland, except that it was once a great city and the "Christmas Story" was set there. So my curiousity would tend to lead me to Cleveland .... especially when you throw in free beer and good fellowship! With a little more time on my hands I'd definitely take in Eastern Canada and pick up some New England sea food in Boston before I turned west back to St. Louis.

Stingroo
03-12-10, 12:03 AM
Hmmm, I didn't realize she was born in Canada.

Indeed, she was born in Nova Scotia.