: Love these -- ugly color -- but interesting history

hueterm
03-08-10, 09:30 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1978-TORONADO-XS-LAST-TORO-MADE-IN-LANSING-9K-MILES_W0QQitemZ320497009406QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_C ars_Trucks?hash=item4a9f1c42fe

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-08-10, 09:38 PM
Nice cars. Not something that's first choice to me, but nice nonetheless. When I was a senior in high school, a friend took the keys to his grandpa's '77 Toronado Brougham and we took that out for a few hours one afternoon. I drove it for a little bit. It was a boat, but not nearly as boaty as that '77 Town Car I drove, but it did feel bigger than any 1977-92 Brougham I drove later on. I remember the 403 being able to spin the tires quite readily from a stop, but it was by no means a fast car. Power was readily available though, and it was super comfortable to ride in. His seats were like these, but they were leather and that flat floor sure was cool. I remember there being a real lack of rear seat leg-room, especially for a car of it's size.

itschrome
03-08-10, 11:24 PM
these were FWD, right?

77CDV
03-08-10, 11:28 PM
Lack of rear leg room was an endemic problem in the E cars. I remember sitting in the back of a 1977 Eldorado and being astonished by how tight it was, especially compared with the 77 CDV I had, which was a smaller car! :O

orconn
03-08-10, 11:29 PM
I am a big fan of the first generation Toronados, particularly the first two years. Several family members had first generation Toronados, and my step father bought a new 1978 fully loaded model which he very kindly let me use when the Lamborghini wasn't an appropriate drive. My Mother drove the Toro until 1978 when she got a new BuicK Lesabre coupe.

I was never taken with the second series Toros, just never warmed up to the Studebaker Starliner rear wrap around window. I also just didn't want anything thjat big after I had had the XJ6.

Jesda
03-09-10, 01:10 AM
Frontenac is a town with money, and cars from there, like my brother's Prelude, tend to be very well cared for.

ben.gators
03-09-10, 02:28 AM
Wow, at this moment based of our current flavor the color seems weird, however back in 70s and 80s this should be a classy color. When I was a kid, my dream car was neighbor's Chevy Nova 1976 with the same color that this olds has. The color was pretty nice for me then! (And still it is :D)

Sandy
03-09-10, 09:06 AM
I LOVE THIOSE SPECIAL EDITION TOROS TOO - BUT THAT IS AN UGLY COLOR AND WHY DID THE OWNER CHEAP OUT ON NO LEATHER ? sTILL A WINNER

hueterm
03-09-10, 12:48 PM
She must have just liked it in cloth and in that manila envelope yellow.... The original owner was the wife of a St. Louis area dealer, so surely it wasn't a money thing.