: Used northstar

scottm
08-18-04, 08:46 AM
Are there any ways to find out how many miles are on a used n. star? The motor im getting is already out of the car so carfax wont work. Not enough serial numbers on the block need 17. Any tricks ? The shops stating it has 63k

jonrodman
08-18-04, 03:58 PM
I don't know of any way to find out. In my opinion what is more important is how well it was taken care of prior to being removed. You really don't know how it was maintained or driven. That is at least important as how many miles it has. Some people drive a lot of steady highway miles and that does not seem to hurt engines at all. During the 70s cars would wear out or rust out before reaching 100,000 miles. Many people still expect cars to fall apart before 100,000 miles. This is not the case anymore. Cars really don't wear out anymore. They seem to run until they rust out which takes longer than before. Occasionally an engine or transmission may need to be replaced, but that is the exception.

I would be more concerned with the skill level of the people doing the removal and install. You have to take a chance. If the engine comes with any type of warranty, you will have time to try it out. If it has problems you will know pretty quickly. There are many Northstar engines with way over 200,000 miles driving around every day.

Mine has about 150,000 and has had poor maintenance prior to my getting it, and it has had some hard use. The car was in terrible condition when I purchased it. It took a couple months to get everything working properly. Now it runs perfectly. I am confident that it will run well for many more years.

I bet there are 150,000 mile engines that run better than some 60,000 mile engines. It all comes down to maintenance, use, and condition. Frequently there are a lot of good miles left in used engines. Most used engines are a good value.

If someone is really worried about miles, there are always factory new crate engines. With a new engine people don't have to worry about damage done by previous owners.

Jon
96STS