: What year N* engine block will work for 2000 deville

jaguarstype24
03-08-10, 11:47 AM
and what special tools do you need to remove the heads? Thanks for any help

Ranger
03-08-10, 05:26 PM
I am not sure what 2000+ blocks will work, but I do know you can't use a pre 2000 block.

Once the engine is out, just conventional tools are all that's needed.

tateos
03-09-10, 11:40 AM
Well, Ranger, it depends on what you consider special tools.

He will need a 10mm male hex driver for the head bolts. A torque wrench. An angle gauge to tighten the head bolts (not if you use Jake's studs) and some other bolts correctly. He will need a very good impact wrench or a very long breaker bar to break loose the crankshaft damper bolt. A power steering pulley puller and installer for the water pump drive. There is a special tool used to lock the flywheel in place while timing the engine, but as I recall, I used a bolt and a pair of vice grips. I used a speed square on the cylinder heads to make sure the marks were at 90 degrees/12:00. If he is going to replace the rear main seal, a very special tool is required - I purchased mine directly form SPX for almost $300, although I have since seen them on e-bay for ~$25 used.

Ranger
03-09-10, 12:19 PM
Very true, but I guess that with the exception of a power steering pulley puller and installer for the water pump drive and the flywheel locker, I consider most of that stuff basic if you are doing a job like this.

tateos
03-09-10, 08:10 PM
Very true, but I guess that with the exception of a power steering pulley puller and installer for the water pump drive and the flywheel locker, I consider most of that stuff basic if you are doing a job like this.

I'm nit arguing with you, Ranger, but who knows what someone else considers basic.

BTW, I forgot to mention I purchased this harmonic balancer installer

http://www.kikaenterprises.com/images/CJ139p.jpg

Others have purchased a longer bolt and used it and greased up washers, but the installer was so slick, with the ball bearings and all, it made it a real pleasure. I think I paid around $20 for the tool on e-bay, new, and delivered