Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Calling all clutch gurus, issue with spec

2K views 30 replies 9 participants last post by  ctsv154 
#1 ·
I have a spec 3+ kit, around 2k on it.

Im having issues getting into gear at high rpms, tried bleeding the hell out of this thing.. It has a brand new slave .

Sounds like A adjustable master will fix my issues, but I see other guys have adjustable masters and still have issues with the spec 3 ...

Im debating on wether I should buy the adjustable master, or just junk this kit and buy a LS7 kit.

:mad:

#4 ·
brand new kit . I used the spec spacer that came with the kit, and the slave is brand new with 2k on it just like the clutch, got the slave right from spec.

Im going to try drilling my master and seeing if that helps, Im also debating on getting a tick adjustable master.

Or I might just bite the bullet , pull the spec out and put in something else...

#5 ·
I have the same problem, but it seems to get better as time goes on or I am just shifting slower....

#7 ·
The rep for spec told me to try shifting with the pedal only half engaged and it seemed to help. I gota take it out for a real rip one of these days.

But other then that he is no help, hes just telling me I need to do a vacum bleeding and that my slave is no good and that I need a adjustable master.

I scanned through the ls1tech trans section and theres alot of people with the same issue....

#8 ·
i had an issue with my Stage 2 Spec in my 'stang... the customer service rep said that there was no way, with 100% certainty, that there could possibly be anything wrong with their clutch. took it out after only 1k miles. toast. it looked like the pressure plate was only engaging half-way (if that makes any sense). they refused to work with me.

in the end, i ended up going with Center Force DF with a Fidanza aluminum flywheel. worked perfect from then on out.

my Spec now hangs on my garage wall as a reminder of what NOT TO BUY. EVER!

#10 ·
Seemed like just the other day a lot of guys were saying how much they loved their Spec clutches. Didn't hear this side of the argument. Did Spec warranty any of these "bad batch" of clutches?

#11 ·
Not one. They all said it was installer error or made other various excuses. There is some version of Spec clutch in my SVT though (bought the car used done know what lever Spec) that seems to be working fine right now but I know most of the Spec +3 in the Contours were wearing out in under 3k miles.

#14 ·
They warrantied another forum members clutch, and he paid for Installation, again and again it did the same thing.

He then went with monster

I'm going with MAPerfrormance and there twin...

Any reviews yet on this setup?

#18 ·
ya the rep is telling me It may be installed wrong or my hydros are bad.

Im going to try bleeding it all again for the third time this weekend.

I dont have time right now to deal with the headache of removing the trans, its a nighmare doing it without a lift.

But I think im gona look into getting a LS7 kit if I dont solve this issue soon.

Also I see alot of guys saying the adjustable master helps, but it seems like a baindaid to me.

#19 ·
My LS7 had the same issue.

#24 ·
If was to go back in time Id go with the twin disk, But I just spent almost $1,000 on the spec setup so im kind off upset right now...

Hopefully my post keeps someone else from buying thier headache , but im
going to try bleeding again this weekend, and if that doesnt work Im going to drill the master.

Then after that it comes down to spending some more money :bonkers:
(either a new kit or give the tic master a try)

MAP whats a basic twin disk pacakage go for ? .... .shot me a Pm if you want.

Also Ive gota add the clutch issue on my car has been a nighmare...First I bought the hendrix one and wasnt happy with it before I even got it in the car, sent that back.

Then I orderd a monster, and turned out they had a 2 month backorder on flywheels.

So I was going to get the LS7 kit and then ended up going with the SPEC. what a nighmare this has been...

Also I noticed it seems to shift better with the pedal pressed only 1/2 to 3/4 of the way.. does this make sence to anyone?

#25 ·
Seems Monster clutches are the only sure clutch to go with right now. Even with the twin disks available now, I am thinking of waiting and letting some other guys be the guinea pigs for it and see if any issues arise.

#28 ·
Well I guess my spec has shit the bed too. I was able to fix the sticking peddle the first few times by bleeding but it stuck the other day and and bled the piss out of it and it still sticks. I can make it into third and as long as I stay under 4500 I can shift into 4th but anything over and I get a hard pedal and it stick like a mofo. When I get the hard peddle I can't even get it out of gear let alone another.

#30 ·
Not yet. I think I'm going to just burn the car and collect insurance lol I broke the CV the other day so I popped another axle in and now I get this funky vib on decel. Not sure if its the diff or what. I'm seriously done with this car. I just want it fixed and gone. I may through a monster and a diff at it and sell it.

#31 ·
Ok after driving the car some more I think it's the trans bits definetly gear specific an I think this pos spec is to blame.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.