: Tires rubbing wheel well

NATEMAC
03-07-10, 02:02 PM
I have a 2004 Cadi CTS base. I just purchased 19"x8 Front & 20"x8.5 Rear Zinik Luni Wheels with 2-General Exclaim UHP 245/35/19 Front tires and 2-General Exclaim 255/35/20 UHP Rear tires off a 2006 Cadi CTS and they rub my wheel wells in the rear at times and it's cutting the tires. The guy I bought them from says they didn't do it on his. What's the remedy? New CTS V shocks? Spacers in the springs? I don't want the high back look tho. Please help!!! Lower profile tires? What?

stoveguyy
04-20-10, 10:39 PM
don't know if both cars have same wheelwell size. but do you know the size and offset of the other guys wheels? the tires fit and did not rub on the other car so it has to be due to different offset or perhaps rim width.

NATEMAC
04-20-10, 11:54 PM
We have the exact same car. Different year. Mine is a 2004 his is a 2006 Cadi CTS. Same offset and wheel width. They come off his car.

SPreston2001
05-01-10, 01:28 AM
Maybe your springs and/or shocks are bad in the rear.

oshcosh86
11-26-10, 10:46 PM
I work in an aftermarket wheel shop so I know for certian the tire size on the rear is a bit excessive and probably is the main problem. I highly recommend a 35series sidewall if you want to run 255's on the rear. not to mention it will look better by evening out the front and rear sidewall height and overall tire diameter. although i can't guarentee it will fix the problem, try having the fenders rolled as an alternative to buying new tires.

As to why yours rubs and his didn't could be any number of things... your rear shocks could be shot, he could have a different suspension package (as cadillac offered sever differnt suspensions over the years on first gen cts') or, my guess is some rolled his fenders.

Hairball
11-30-10, 01:04 PM
I highly recommend a 35series sidewall if you want to run 255's on the rear.

As to why yours rubs and his didn't could be any number of things... your rear shocks could be shot, he could have a different suspension package (as cadillac offered sever different suspensions over the years on first gen cts).

He did say he's running 35 series 255's, and is having problems. Not sure why a tire dealer would suggest a 255/35-20.

That vehicle came stock with 225/55-16's, correct? The recommended 20" size for both years of that CTS is actually 245/30-20, which is so close to your factory tire size you wouldn't even notice you had them on your car! There is a huge difference in the suggested size and the size you got!

A 245/30-20 is 25.8" in diameter and a 255/35-20 is 27" in diameter.
A 245/30-20 is 81" circumference and a 255/35-20 is 84.9" in circumference.
A 245/30-20 has a 2.9" sidewall and a 255/35-20 has a 3.5" sidewall.
A 245/30-20 has a 12.9" radius and a 255/35-20 has a 13.5" radius.

So as you can see, the tires you got are different enough in size to cause issues. But my guess would be that unless the guy who sold you the wheels & tires was a very good personal friend, he may have told you anything just to get you to buy them. Especially if you got them off Craigslist and you won't ever see the guy again. He may not have told you that he has brand new shocks or something. I'm almost certain he sold them to you because he found out they are too big. Some tire dealers don't even recommend anything bigger than a 19" for that year of CTS.

And I certainly hope you didn't pay very much because Tire Rack has that exact 20" wheel on a close-out for $59 each, with caps and lugs!

By the way, good choice in tires in my opinion! I was super close to getting that same tire for my Seville! I narrowed down my choices to either the General Exclaim UHP or the BFG Traction T/A and decided on the T/A even though the UHP has a better traction rating. And ironically, I'm buying Ziniks for my Seville this week! But I'm going with a 5-spoke (the Rissos) in spite of some people saying I should get a multi-spoke.

And I agree on everyone about the suspension. A lot of extra wear can be put on the shocks in 2 years, especially if you live in an area where there are lots of dips in the road or you go over lots of speed bumps or maybe carry extra stuff in the back. Many things could make your shocks weaker. I'm guessing it's a combination of your stock shocks and maybe he had new ones, or he didn't tell you they actually rubbed on his CTS and that was why we was really selling them.

Hairball
11-30-10, 01:08 PM
(Technical glitch! This posted 3 times! Sorry!)

Hairball
11-30-10, 01:09 PM
(Technical glitch! This posted 3 times! Sorry!)

Hairball
11-30-10, 02:14 PM
Another mistake was to spend so much money on mismatched sized tires and wheels because you'll never be able to rotate them. If they wear uneven you'll be forced to buy new tires all the time. Nice choice on both, except for the size.

spencerk73
02-20-11, 05:08 PM
I'd say combo of excessively large rear tires and worn spring/struts