: Looking to Buy STS - V, some questions

fast_lane10
03-06-10, 12:52 AM
Hi All -

I am in the market looking for a STS-V (my budget allows for 2006 or 2007) but I am little nervous as i don't know too much about these cars. I went to couple of dealers/sellers and to me all the cars look great from outside. My questions is is there anything(s) particular i should be looking at.
One car I checked out was very clean with about 36000 miles on it and the carfax did not show any service records . I asked the dealer to pull up service records on their internal website (an idea i got from this forum) and i saw quite a few records, couple of them had towing involved. One of the record was concerning transmission along with words R&R. Should i be concerned about all this ?
I also noticed white smoke from exhaust with hint of burning oil smell when they first started it, when i pointed it out to the dealer ..he said its normal with the Vs. IS that true ?

Thanks for reading my post

jedhead
03-06-10, 01:54 AM
If you are concerned I would buy a CPO with the extended warranty. The factory warranty is good for 3 years and 50K. The CPO warranty goes 3 more years and 100K. R&R usually means remove and replace.

Bob

fast_lane10
03-06-10, 02:05 AM
If you are concerned I would buy a CPO with the extended warranty. The factory warranty is good for 3 years and 50K. The CPO warranty goes 3 more years and 100K. R&R usually means remove and replace.

Bob

Thanks jedhead for explaining R&R. Now i will have to go back and see if the R&R was by the transmission or seal (Dealer wont give me printout of service record and it was never reported to car fax i guess) . By the way what do you think about buying a car knowing that the transmission has been replaced (if that's the case) even though it has CPO. Frankly all the text in the service record was all gibberish to me.

Thanks again for your reply, do you think white smoke from exhaust and burning oil smell can be related to transmission (again if replaced )

jedhead
03-06-10, 03:44 AM
The white smoke could be just water vapor from a cold start in the morning. I can't say for sure. You may want want to have another mechanic to look over the car for you. I didn't find out about the repairs that were done on my STS-V until the first time I took it in for warranty repair and the service adviser showed me the repair history on the car. The dealership I took the car to did a very through inspection after repairing the wheel hub and replaced a leaky seal they found on the pinion and ordered a new motor mounts. Mine is a CPO and has the extended warranty. My plan is only keep the car for three years and get a CTS-V coupe as a replacement.

Bob

fast_lane10
03-06-10, 01:13 PM
The white smoke could be just water vapor from a cold start in the morning. I can't say for sure. You may want want to have another mechanic to look over the car for you. I didn't find out about the repairs that were done on my STS-V until the first time I took it in for warranty repair and the service adviser showed me the repair history on the car. The dealership I took the car to did a very through inspection after repairing the wheel hub and replaced a leaky seal they found on the pinion and ordered a new motor mounts. Mine is a CPO and has the extended warranty. My plan is only keep the car for three years and get a CTS-V coupe as a replacement.

Bob

I also thought the smoke would be vapors but the smell of oil made me pause. As far as repairs are concerned being a CPO i don't think i will have any problems. I did some research and the deal looks good to me but i am not in a hurry to buy so i think i will wait for the dealer to sweeten the deal The only thing is its hard to find CPO's for this model as there are not too many out there and even less at GM dealers. I am also planning to keep it for 3 yrs or so unless i fall in love with it too much (read it has chances to becomes collectible as some people mentioned here) . I dont think i will be lucky to get another V for a while , seems i will have to go for an SUV to haul kids(s) around. Have fun driving that V

lavi