Cadillac Owners Forum banner

GM Drilled Rotors - Question

1K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  JD03Cobra 
#1 · (Edited)
I received my Rotors but there is a silver coating over the whole rotor. Do I need to remove this stuff before mouting them up and bedding the pads?

I've never seen the actualy face of the rotors covered with this stuff before...

Obviously this is not the rotor but it's the same coating...

See less See more
#6 ·
http://rotorpros.net/Break_In.html

It's a zinc/cadmium coating
If you have just installed rotors with zinc or cadmium plating, or if the rotors have an anti-corrosion phosphate coating on the braking surface, you should postpone the bedding process until normal driving has allowed your brake pads to polish the rotors clean and removed all traces of the plating or coating.. It may feel like the rotors are warped “initially” but do not worry… .Keep driving they will begin to feel better. Give them atleast 10-100 miles of normal driving if they initially feel warped.

#9 · (Edited)
quick question regarding drilled/slotted rotors.
my rotors are on it's last turn. In about 3 to 6 months am sure they will be shot. what company's make quality drilled/slotted rotors and how much do they usually run. what type of materials should one look for to distinguish good vs bad rotors if any. Also do they offer oversize rotors ( i now the vettes offer standard or over sized rotors) or do we already have the biggest rotors they offer. when i was looking into them about 4 months ago , Brembo, where the only company that offered rotors for the V at that time, with a price tag of $1300.

Also, am interested in getting the calipers powder coated with a gloss red finish. would this cause any jeopardy of braking performance to occur.

#10 ·
quick question regarding drilled/slotted rotors.
my rotors are on it's last turn. In about 3 to 6 months am sure they will be shot. what company's make quality drilled/slotted rotors and how much do they usually run. what type of materials should one look for to distinguish good vs bad rotors if any. Also do they offer oversize rotors ( i now the vettes offer standard or over sized rotors) or do we already have the biggest rotors they offer. when i was looking into them about 4 months ago , Brembo, where the only company that offered rotors for the V at that time, with a price tag of $1300.

Also, am interested in getting the calipers powder coated with a gloss red finish. would this cause any jeopardy of braking performance to occur.
The trick to buying rotors in the current market is avoid the inferior rotors being peddled mostly over the internet. If you don't know the rotor - know the seller. I buy my rotors from Luke (see below).

Lindsay Cadillac | 1525 Kenwood Ave | Alexandria, VA 22302 |
Direct: (703) 824-9670 | Main: (703) 998-6600 | Fax: (703) 671-4517
Visit our website www.lindsaycadillac.com

He carries a vairety of quality rotors at good prices. If you have the money, the UUC two-piece rotors are incredibile in terms of stopping performance - and the bling rating ain't bad either.

On the calipers, I have had good luck just applying 3-4 coats of Duplicolor spray caliper paint from any local auto parts store. It comes in several colors, including red, and will last several years.

#11 ·
Thanks guys...I just mounted them up with HPS pads and followed the bedding process documented in the FAQ's. The HPS pads work great.

I bought the rotors from Luke at Lindsay of course!

#12 ·
Wow dude, NICE. Super Clean!!

#15 ·
Check with Luke at Lindsay because I bought them a while ago...I want to say about $630 delivered...rotors only.

Did you have to remove the coating or did you just mount and bed them?
I didn't remove the coating...just bedded the brakes.

#14 ·
Did you have to remove the coating or did you just mount and bed them?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.