Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Brake pads EBC or Hawks

4K views 30 replies 13 participants last post by  trukk 
#1 ·
I am going to Replace the brake pads and havent decided which one to pull the trigger on

EBC ceramic OR hawk Ceramic

I do have stock rotors (25k ) they look in good shape so just a pad change would do it now.

Anyone having any good or bad things to say about either, please feel free.
I also considered hawk HPS but too many people complained about the noise and low stopping power.

#4 ·
i really like my EBC Redstuff pads, but they did chew up my stock rotors forcing me to buy aftermarket ones. Much less dust than stock and nice stopping power. I'd ask some Hawks guys but i wonder if the Hawks pads would be as aggressive on the rotors?

#6 ·
I'm pretty sure most of the guys I ran with at the last track meet seemed to be running Hawks including myself. No experience with the EBC. Hawk's seem to be the way to go.

#10 ·
So i've got a question - i need to replace my front pads, will probably do all 4, and will probably turn my rotors at the same time.

I've heard that ceramic pads, while very low on dust, do not have the same stopping power as the metallic compounds, particularly when cold. The OP seems to indicate that he's thinking Ceramic over HPS because the HPS pads don't stop well. Seems contrary to my understanding.

Can anyone clarify whether it makes more sense to go ceramic or metallic. This would be for street use only. If and when i get around to tracking the car, i'll swap in some HP+ or track compound pads. So i'm not concerned with trackability.

Thanks

#14 ·
Some say you can't, some say you can. I think it all depends on how much rotor thickness you have left. At your mileage, it would probably be fine.

Some people also say it's not necessary, but every mechanic i've talked to, including a close friend who's spent 30 years of his life wrenching and working on cars (modern and classic restorations) has said that he turns his rotors ever time he changes pads. There is nothing better than having a clean, freshly turned surface for new pads to bed onto.

That's his advice to me, and i trust him, so i'm going to go with it.

I guess i'll try the ceramic pads going forward.

#12 ·
There was a recent article in Hot Rod about brake pads and the different components that make them up. I do believe the ceramics are for track use and yes don't stop as well when cold. I went through a set of stock pads and HPS pads on one rotor life (approaching 105,000 miles). I did notice a small difference between stock and HPS, but over time the difference made the less dust way worth it. I also herd that getting stainless brake lines help pedal feel and maybe that's what you're looking for.

#29 ·
Hawk Ceramics SUCK.....put them on my V since its my DD due to brake dust, yes they dust much less and they also dont stop nearly as good as stock IMO. Ill be going back to stock or HPS and washing them more. In the rain the ceramics are even worse.

Guys. I dunno about the Hawk Ceramics (supposed to be worse than HPS's), but the Hawk HPS's blow donkey balls (is that clear enough?) Hawk HP+ are great....HPS SUCK.

HPS are a worse than the stock ferodo's. Anyone that tells you diffent hasn't driven both.

HP+ > than stock.

I'm going to try out some Carbotech AX6's very soon. The Carbotech's are all non-metallic so theoretically they should dust less....HOWEVER I don't care about that I just want great stopping power that doesn't require significant rotor heat for the street. I've ran carbotechs on the track (XP12's/XP10's), and really liked the performance, and loved that I didn't need to worry about caustic brake dust eating my paint (AHEM...*cough* HAWK Blues/HT/DT *cough*).

Everyone here spends so much loot on go fast bits.....buy the right pads to make the car go slow fast. You spend as much time slowing down as you do speeding up, have fun all the time!

-Chris

#18 ·
I have put EBC on everything I own including my STS V. I have better stopping power and lower dust than stock. I strongly recommend EBC. They made their place through racing so they know what they are doing.

#21 ·
Maybe your tools are better than what I know about.

I've also seen drilled rotors split at the hole after being turned on a lathe. Now...some fancy shops "sand" them down rather than digging them with a lathe.

#23 ·
You should always machine rotors when replacing pads.....lateral runout (wobble) causes DTV (disk thickness variation) or as many refer to as a "warped" rotor.....rotors cant warp but they can get "high" and "low" spots 180 Deg. from each other (DTV) and give a pulsation that many believe is a "warped" rotor........on car lathes take care of this issue.

Yes you can cut drilled and slotted rotors just have to cut them 1/1000 at a time...most machines that use positive rake bits can handle this. Just my 2 cents :thumbsup:

#25 ·
this is why we participate in these forums, to learn! Thanks for that info. I use two shops, the smaller one will turn the slotted/drilled rotors, the larger one, and largest one in my small town, will not touch a slotted/drilled rotor. So, i know which one to go to when i need rotor work now.

G
#24 ·
Hawk Ceramics SUCK.....put them on my V since its my DD due to brake dust, yes they dust much less and they also dont stop nearly as good as stock IMO. Ill be going back to stock or HPS and washing them more. In the rain the ceramics are even worse.

#30 ·
I've got the Hawk Ceramics on mine as of 2 weeks ago. Freshly turned rotors as well. I'm still bedding them in over time, but i'm not sure i entirely agree with this statement.

When cold, yes, the ceramics have a pretty soft feel and take a little longer to stop, but it doesn't take much to warm them up, and once hot, they grip much better than the stock brakes (at least by my seat of pants feel they do). I'm very happy with the way the ceramics have turned out, you just need to be aware that when cold, they might need a little more room. But i don't drive like a maniac with a cold car anyway.

Oh yeah, and I bought them from Adam at MAPerformance and got a hell of a deal. Thanks for the help Adam!!!

#27 ·
i'm going to be needing HPS all around in a few weeks, any quotes? still debating on getting the stock rotors turned, or to just get the UUC slotted..... i'm sure someone can push me in the right direction, lol....

ps, my V may be up for sale in the next month or so, the itch for a used 09 is getting worse by the day...

#28 ·
Hey Rangerrob,

I just picked up a set of HPS from MAP Performance. Shoot him a PM. The best price I could find by far. :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.