: met ga_etc, ate Quiznos, test drove `99 ETC. Reviews inside.

93DevilleUSMC
03-03-10, 10:20 PM
Last Sunday night, me and ga_etc met up in Atlanta to test-drive each others cars. Mine is a 1993 Deville, and his is a 1999 Eldorado Touring Coupe (ETC) in Crimson Pearl Metallic with a tan interior.

I had the protein craving from hell itself, and the only Quiznos still open was 26 miles away. Too far a drive for a restaurant? Not when you're testing a car with an L37 Northstar. :lildevil: So I got to test the ETC in both city and highway traffic. Preamble aside, here's the review.

Driving Impressions:
The `99 Cadillac Eldorado Touring Coupe is, as you all know, a personal luxury coupe. Therefore, it's built to be personal, comfortable, smooth, stylish, and blisteringly fast. The ETC fits the bill, with very fluid, quick, quiet acceleration in low-speed city traffic, and precise, effortless steering around corners and between lanes. Below 4,000 RPM, the L37 Northstar is almost inaudible.

On the highway, the ETC will pass easily without having to go above 4,000RPM much, but where is the fun in that? Punch the throttle and hit the redline: the L37 bellows in anger as the car is thrown forward almost before you know you are going there. The smoothness and ease of handling never let up; 90MPH feels like the ETC is barely moving, and you can change lanes at that speed with just the slightest wrist movements.

This ETC needs new rotors, so I don't have anything to really base braking impressions on.

Exterior impressions.
For an 11 year-old car, the exterior barely seems to have a flaw. The lines are sharp and sleek in a European sense, but very broad-shouldered and creased in a distinctly American style. The car has bold looks, yet never looks ungainly: the more you look at it, the more you appreciate the fine details. My personal favorite is the crease line of the front fender. In pictures, you car barely see how the fenders rise in a slight but sharp crease above the hood. Viewed up close, you can see that particular detail, and you can see how it evokes the front fenders of earlier Eldorados. The brake lights are tall yet almost flush with the rear fenders, suggesting classic tail fins without lengthening the car unnecessarily.

Interior impressions.
The interior of ga_etc's ETC is perfect. No wear spots, cracks, and blemishes, and the leather is soft, with no padding worn down. The interior of the ETC is geared mainly towards driver comfort (read: spoiling the driver). The controls are neatly arranged and easy to reach, and the seats are heated. The heated seats are crispy on the lowest setting, and are almost furnaces on the high setting.

Overall, the `99 ETC is a penultimate all-around cruising machine, capable of being a soft cruiser or a joyously fast executive's Corvette. The much-maligned front-wheel drive does not detract in any way from this car's performance, smoothness, and all-around excellence.

Destroyer
03-03-10, 10:27 PM
I'm picking up a '99 ETC in a few days. Pearl white and only 77k miles for $700! Buddy is moving out of the country and needs it gone. Only problem is the trunk opens and the gas cap opens when car is started (bad ground?, who cares?). It is actually in excellent condition and it's ashame I'm gonna part it out and then scrap the remains. :eek:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-03-10, 10:33 PM
I drove a crimson/beige '98 ETC a few years back. It remember it being just as you described the '99 you drove, but I preferred the '93 STS I drove prior. It was sharper, louder, faster. Atleast it seemed that way.

ga_etc
03-04-10, 02:23 AM
A review isn't complete without a pic. In this case I will supply one for you lol.
http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv220/austin99etc/0907091656.jpg
Only on the day of the trip it wasn't this clean. And thank you for the kind words Josiah. :thumbsup:

And just for the record Destroyer, if you do that to said car, I will lose all respect for you as a car lover. Even though I know you don't like the NorthStar engine, that's no excuse. If the car is as nice as you say it is, spend a couple of bucks on it and put a new battery in it to fix the random trunk/fuel door opening, then turn around and sell the car for a profit to someone who will actually enjoy the car. There is no sense in dismantling a perfectly good car. :cookoo::banghead:

itschrome
03-04-10, 02:39 AM
A review isn't complete without a pic. In this case I will supply one for you lol.

God i could stare at that all night.. its not so much the sexy red head in the middle, every thing is so green and alive... i want to be there.. i want to live in that picture.. and of course drive that car.. :thumbsup:

Aron9000
03-04-10, 03:20 AM
I will say that the 95-02 Eldorado is one of Cadillac's best designs in the post land yatch era. Its my second favorite Eldorado, right after the 67-68 models with concealed headlights. Its a drop dead sexy car:drool::drool::drool:

ga_etc
03-04-10, 04:08 AM
Thanks guys. It's still my baby. And that pic was taken back in the summer, that's why everything is so green there.

Stingroo
03-04-10, 08:10 AM
Hmm... see now that sounds like something my roommate and I would do, drive forever just to get Quizno's. :)

93DevilleUSMC
03-04-10, 09:44 PM
Hmm... see now that sounds like something my roommate and I would do, drive forever just to get Quizno's. :)

So drive yourself up here some time and hang out with me and ga_etc...for the Quiznos, of course. :thumbsup:

I actually drove about two hours once just to get one of their prime rib subs.

Stingroo
03-04-10, 10:13 PM
How far from you to Jacksonville?

93DevilleUSMC
03-04-10, 10:13 PM
Only on the day of the trip it wasn't this clean. And thank you for the kind words Josiah. :thumbsup:

And just for the record Destroyer, if you do that to said car, I will lose all respect for you as a car lover. Even though I know you don't like the NorthStar engine, that's no excuse. If the car is as nice as you say it is, spend a couple of bucks on it and put a new battery in it to fix the random trunk/fuel door opening, then turn around and sell the car for a profit to someone who will actually enjoy the car. There is no sense in dismantling a perfectly good car. :cookoo::banghead:

Anytime, Austin!

And just for the record, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Destroyer made up that detail about the Eldorado.

Stingroo
03-04-10, 10:15 PM
I'm picking up a '99 ETC in a few days. Pearl white and only 77k miles for $700! Buddy is moving out of the country and needs it gone. Only problem is the trunk opens and the gas cap opens when car is started (bad ground?, who cares?). It is actually in excellent condition and it's ashame I'm gonna part it out and then scrap the remains. :eek:

Pics or it didn't happen.

93DevilleUSMC
03-04-10, 10:25 PM
How far from you to Jacksonville?

355 miles, via I-75 to I-16 to I-95. 333 miles via I-75.

Stingroo
03-04-10, 10:38 PM
Eh, that's a bit of a drive. lol You guys are too far North. :(

93DevilleUSMC
03-04-10, 10:50 PM
Maybe I'll see you at the meet?

Stingroo
03-04-10, 10:56 PM
Which?

Destroyer
03-04-10, 11:09 PM
And just for the record Destroyer, if you do that to said car, I will lose all respect for you as a car lover. Even though I know you don't like the NorthStar engine, that's no excuse. If the car is as nice as you say it is, spend a couple of bucks on it and put a new battery in it to fix the random trunk/fuel door opening, then turn around and sell the car for a profit to someone who will actually enjoy the car. There is no sense in dismantling a perfectly good car. :cookoo::banghead:It was supposed to be dropped off to me yesterday and it wasn't so I don't know what is going on. I'm not dismantling it because I hate Northstars. I simply don't need or want the car and I can't resell it without registering it and paying taxes on it. The car is probably worth more in parts than whole anyway. Around here N* Cadillacs don't bring much money. A kid that works for me loves scrapping, after he strips it of valuable parts the rest will be scrapped.

Destroyer
03-04-10, 11:15 PM
And just for the record, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Destroyer made up that detail about the Eldorado.No, actually I was quite shocked to see a review about '99 Eldorado ETC. I was like "holy crap, thats the same car Charles is selling me". The one I'm getting has the chrome wheels to. The car was not dropped off to me when it was supposed to be and my friend is not returning calls so I may not be getting it after all. :helpless: If I do, I'll post some before and after pics though. :hide:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-04-10, 11:38 PM
I'm not dismantling it because I hate Northstars. I simply don't need or want the car and I can't resell it without registering it and paying taxes on it. The car is probably worth more in parts than whole anyway. Around here N* Cadillacs don't bring much money.

Why bother with the trouble of it anyways? It's not like it's some super rare car that you never see anymore, who's parts are worth an arm and a leg on the market. I find it hard to believe that there's a big demand for Eldorado parts and that you would have the space and time devoted to doing some venture like this.

If you do, then good for you, but I (among many others on here) still think you've got an axe to grind against the Northstars, for a car you had what, three....four years ago?

ga_etc
03-05-10, 03:16 AM
It was supposed to be dropped off to me yesterday and it wasn't so I don't know what is going on. I'm not dismantling it because I hate Northstars. I simply don't need or want the car and I can't resell it without registering it and paying taxes on it. The car is probably worth more in parts than whole anyway. Around here N* Cadillacs don't bring much money. A kid that works for me loves scrapping, after he strips it of valuable parts the rest will be scrapped.

Why would you have to register it to resell it? If he hands you title to it, signed where it is open, simply do not sign it putting it in your name. Leave the title open, fix the known issue, and post for sale. Even if N* cars aren't bringing much money in your area, you can't more than your $700 back out of it? If not I know where I'm coming to buy my next car.

If you don't need or want the car, why bother with stripping it??? Simply tell the guy that you don't want it and allow someone else that will keep it on the road to buy it from him. I just don't understand why a "car guy" would willingly and senselessly destroy ANY car that there is nothing wrong with it, much less something as beautiful and powerful as a '99 ETC.

And if all of my b*tching fails, if the car has Shale interior I need the passenger door speaker cover. The clips on mine broke when trying to put it back on after cleaning it like 6 months ago.

Destroyer
03-05-10, 09:48 AM
Why bother with the trouble of it anyways? It's not like it's some super rare car that you never see anymore, who's parts are worth an arm and a leg on the market. I find it hard to believe that there's a big demand for Eldorado parts and that you would have the space and time devoted to doing some venture like this.

If you do, then good for you, but I (among many others on here) still think you've got an axe to grind against the Northstars, for a car you had what, three....four years ago?I have 3 warehouses worth of space (1 with a large yard too) and I'm not doing the work. I'm adding auto dismantling to the many things I do. My mechanic and his son are out of work and this was their idea. I'm learning things about scrap value and so forth. It has nothing to do with the fact it's a N* Caddy. I wouldn't buy one and dismantle one because I don't like the motor in it, that would be childish. The same guy that has this sold me a box truck for $200 and offered me an '02 Mustang V6 for $800 (which he ended up selling to someone else for $1k). If I needed this Eldo I'd drive it till it had issues and then do whatever with it but I don't even have to time to drive my Olds these days.

Destroyer
03-05-10, 09:58 AM
If you don't need or want the car, why bother with stripping it??? Simply tell the guy that you don't want it and allow someone else that will keep it on the road to buy it from him. I just don't understand why a "car guy" would willingly and senselessly destroy ANY car that there is nothing wrong with it, much less something as beautiful and powerful as a '99 ETC.

I started this dismantling thing to help out a friend and his son who are both out of work mechanics and want to make some extra bucks. I just talked to the owner of the Eldo in the middle of writing this response and it should be coming today. He also just pointed out that it has a "rebuilt title". I have a feeling it's not going to be as "mint" as he says it is. :suspense: Someone here wants to make an offer on it before it goes under the knife is welcome to. I'll post pics.

hueterm
03-05-10, 11:17 AM
It's Destroyer and the car is powered by a N*....the question is....what?

93DevilleUSMC
03-05-10, 09:24 PM
Back on topic here, the item me and Austin both had was the Prime Rib and Peppercorn. Lots of prime rib beef in that, to the point where the bread can't be folded around the contents of the entire sub. Eat the 11-inch one, and you're going to be unwilling to eat until at least the next day. This is far more than I can say for Subways items, which, while healthier by far, aren't even nearly as satisfying. The prime rib meat itself is hot and juicy, mouthwatering, and served at 150 degrees. For $10.97 including a drink and huge cookie, that is pretty good!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-19-10, 08:12 PM
I transferred all my pics from my old computer onto the new one last week, and i found the video I took while I test drove a '99 ETC
from 2006. Here's a 0-60 run:
09FAyVL1jKw

Like Austin's, this one was crimson as well.
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/ETCandAngie-1.jpg

orconn
03-19-10, 08:36 PM
^^^ Damn that's a nice looking car!

hueterm
03-19-10, 08:56 PM
Chad, was that your Deville parked next to it?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-20-10, 12:34 AM
Yep, that was the old girl. That was probably October of '06.

77CDV
03-20-10, 02:07 AM
I rather miss your old Deville.

ben.gators
03-20-10, 06:45 AM
Destroyer

Wow, I guess the Paradise that people speak about is Florida, the place you live, where a Mustang 02 is 800$ and Eldo is 700$!
I need to move to Florida. BTW, wait, I have been there until last summer, and as far as I remember cars in FL are more expensive that Arizona, the state that I live right now. I can remember that when I arrived here, I was amazed by how cheep are cars here. However still in this Cheap state, Mustang and Seville/eldo have values much more than 1k!

ben.gators
03-20-10, 06:50 AM
I transferred all my pics from my old computer onto the new one last week, and i found the video I took while I test drove a '99 ETC
from 2006. Here's a 0-60 run:
09FAyVL1jKw

Like Austin's, this one was crimson as well.
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/ETCandAngie-1.jpg

Chad, whose Eldo was it that you increased engine RPM to 5500? I guess it can not be yours with that type of driving:rolleyes::D

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-20-10, 09:22 AM
I rather miss your old Deville.

So do I. I bought it with cash. Can't say that about the last two cars I've owned. :mad: :mad:

Chad, whose Eldo was it that you increased engine RPM to 5500? I guess it can not be yours with that type of driving:rolleyes::D

Nope, not mine, it was for sale. I always drive cars hard though on a test drive, to see if I like how they feel.

ben.gators
03-20-10, 04:06 PM
Nope, not mine, it was for sale. I always drive cars hard though on a test drive, to see if I like how they feel.

Wow, what a great job you had, some thing like the job that Jaime Rascone has::yup:
http://anyguey.guanabee.com/2009/08/jaime-rascone-prostitute-tester/