: engine question

barrymarovitz
03-03-10, 12:00 AM
Hello ,

Just wanted to know how much a northstar weighs in pounds.
im trying to see which engine stand to get. And if there is anything else i need to know about the stands feel free to tell me.

1997 eldorado etc if it helps

thank you

ponyboyt
03-03-10, 09:19 AM
400? 397? Number is stuck in my head. I believe thats with accesories.

cl1986
03-03-10, 10:05 AM
ya, i have some info, it doesnt fit on one unless the coolant crossover is removed......or heavily mod the stand bolt ears to fit, yet you still cant turn it upside down without the crossover and the tb and all that removed, it will hit the stand leg.

not to highjack but is it worth pulling the engine all apart to send the block and stuff in for recycling?? thinking about gutting the trans as well, not sure if the weight of the alluminum is worth all the trouble or not.

barrymarovitz
03-03-10, 11:29 AM
ok thanks i thought i read somwhere that the bolts that came with the stand dont fit the northstar, or that u have to get some crazy pitch thread on the bolt.

barrymarovitz
03-03-10, 11:35 AM
[QUOTE=cl1986;2167317]ya, i have some info, it doesnt fit on one unless the coolant crossover is removed......or heavily mod the stand bolt ears to fit, yet you still cant turn it upside down without the crossover and the tb and all that removed, it will hit the stand leg.

not to highjack but is it worth pulling the engine all apart to send the block and stuff in for recycling?? thinking about gutting the trans as well, not sure if the weight of the alluminum is worth all the trouble or not.[/

by my house they tell u how much a pound for the alluminum or u could sell the engine as a whole, whats wrong with it?

cl1986
03-03-10, 01:33 PM
it has headgaskets out and i parted the car out already, still have engine and trans in the garage now....

yes you need metric bolts to bolt up to the engine, you can use 3 of the 4 bolts that bolt into the trans, one of them is too short and you will have to run to the hardware store and get a longer one, just take a long one with you to the store.

i think alluminum is still $1 a pound or more, just not sure if its worth taking it all apart, copper is still like $1.80 i had just checked that the other day.