: Can 2007 Escalade use E85 or regular gas?

chesca
03-03-10, 12:16 AM
Dealer told I have to use premium gas, is it right?

sj1400
03-03-10, 12:26 AM
Yes for optimum performance. The use of regular unleaded will cause the computer to pull timing in order to prevent detonation or pinging. The end result is less performance. The 07's were not calibrated to run on E85 - the fuel system has to be upgraded to handle the corrosive characteristics of E85.

kars79
03-03-10, 12:29 AM
i think 09 and higher models can use e85.
its recommended to use premium,
you can use regular gas if you have to but i think it will cause problem with ur engine in a long run.
So its best to use premium gas.

evois
03-03-10, 11:44 AM
the 6.2 L engine requires premium while the 6.0 L engine(used in the hybrid) can use regular gas.

Rolex
03-03-10, 08:18 PM
E85 is not a premium fuel. You should check your owners manual before filling up with ethanol. If your Escalade isn't flex fuel capable and you run ethanol you can run lean and damage the motor.

TSS
03-04-10, 09:47 AM
E85 is not a premium fuel. You should check your owners manual before filling up with ethanol. If your Escalade isn't flex fuel capable and you run ethanol you can run lean and damage the motor.

Yes! And, the 6.2 does not require PREMIUM. It is recommended. However, that is a big difference if you find yourself near empty at a gas station with no Premium (yes, they do exist here in MI).

evois
03-04-10, 10:25 AM
Yes! And, the 6.2 does not require PREMIUM. It is recommended. However, that is a big difference if you find yourself near empty at a gas station with no Premium (yes, they do exist here in MI).

from the OM.

Gasoline Octane
If the vehicle has the 6.0L V8 engine (VIN Code 5),
use regular unleaded gasoline with a posted octane
rating of 87 or higher. If the octane rating is less than 87,
you might notice an audible knocking noise when you
drive, commonly referred to as spark knock. If this occurs,
use a gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher as soon as
possible. If you are using gasoline rated at 87 octane or
higher and you hear heavy knocking, the engine needs
service.
If the vehicle has the 6.2L V8 engine (VIN Code 2),
use premium unleaded gasoline with a posted octane
rating of 91 or higher. You can also use regular unleaded
gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher, but the vehicle’s
acceleration could be slightly reduced, and you might
notice a slight audible knocking noise, commonly referred
to as spark knock. If the octane is less than 87, you might
notice a heavy knocking noise when you drive. If this
occurs, use a gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher as
soon as possible. Otherwise, you could damage the
engine. If you are using gasoline rated at 87 octane or
higher and you hear heavy knocking, the engine needs
service.

6-5

http://www.cadillac.com/assets/pdf/owners/manuals/manuals_2009/2009_cadillac_escalade_hybrid_owners.pdf

CadX6
03-04-10, 01:50 PM
I've used primarily mid grade (89 octane) in my 2003, 2007, & 2009 6.2l AWD Escalades since they were new off the showroom. As far as I know, I haven't experienced any significant loss of power and my mileage seems comparable with others who run only 91 octane. The most mileage I've put on any of them was 40k on the 2003 so I don't know if there are any "long term" effects, but I really doubt it. I know that I've never experienced any knocking, and I stay with the name brands (definitely not Citgo).

I'd be interested to try a tank of E85 in my 2009 since it's set up for it, but it would take a full tank just to get to a station that carries it around here :mad:

TSS
03-04-10, 05:19 PM
Evois, I agree and am aware of the recommendations. People should use Premium, no question. But using less than Premium, if needed, will not void a warrantee or cause immediate damage of any kind. That is all I was really trying to say. Your answer was better at relaying that than mine. Thanks.

ewill3rd
03-04-10, 06:41 PM
If you have a yellow fuel cap and the vehicle is badged for E85 (flex fuel) then you can use E85, otherwise you should never try to use E85 in a car that is not designed for it.
There is no "retrofit" kit, at least not a legal one.

As far as octane, follow the owner's manual instructions noted above.

Texas_Lade
03-17-10, 11:39 PM
I never use premium gasoline on any of my "only premium gasoline" vehicles and never had an issue. My wife's Benz asks for premium too and she never runs it either. I've done this for about 6-7 years without a problem.

lousy_investor
03-29-10, 12:04 PM
I am about to pick up my 2008 Escalade from a GM dealership here in Canada and the sales manager was adamant about it not requiring premium. Told me he never used premium and very few engine on the market today actually need it. And he told me that after the deal was struck and he wasn't trying to downplay the cost of running this thing.

For whatever is worth.

BTW, thanks for all the great info on this board in general. I am a newbie to the brand (coming over from a history of BMW ownership experience) and hope to enjoy it for years to come! Starting off well - insurance company told me my rate will be $600 cheaper a year than my 545i due to frequency of collision claims and type of injuries sustained by occupants.

lousy_investor
03-29-10, 12:05 PM
I am about to pick up my 2008 Escalade from a GM dealership here in Canada and the sales manager was adamant about it not requiring premium. Told me he never used premium and very few engine on the market today actually need it. And he told me that after the deal was struck and he wasn't trying to downplay the cost of running this thing.

For whatever is worth.

BTW, thanks for all the great info on this board in general. I am a newbie to the brand (coming over from a history of BMW ownership experience) and hope to enjoy it for years to come! Starting off well - insurance company told me my rate will be $600 cheaper a year than my 545i due to frequency of collision claims and type of injuries sustained by occupants.

Tec80
03-30-10, 01:45 AM
Do not use E85 in a pre-2009 6.2L. The injectors are not sized for the higher flow rate needed for E85, which only has 70% of the BTU content of E10 gasoline. So, when you go WOT with E85 on a 2007-8 6.2L, the injectors go "static", meaning they never close. This washes the oil off the cylinder walls and causes erosion damage to the cylinder bores.

I don't know why anyone would use E85 anyway. With only 70% of the energy content of E10 gas, it needs to be 70% or less of the price to make financial sense. Example: When E10 is $3/gal., E85 has to be $2.10 or less just to break even.

A320
03-24-11, 01:05 PM
Reviving an older thread here but of interest to me. I have an 07 Escalade ESV with the 6.2L. In Canada, Mohawk/Husky is the only station that has 94 Octane but if I recall is also 10% ethanol. Someone previously mentioned that the ethanol is not good for these engines as it runs it too lean. Can anyone else confirm or add to this idea/information?

Thanks

fivepix
03-24-11, 03:10 PM
@A320 Petro-Canada has 94 Octane

as for the ethanol, not too many gas station carry gas without it see this post:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum-2007/225357-ethanol-percentage-07-escalade.html

2007XTSDub
03-24-11, 03:25 PM
I have not seen 94 at Petro Canada yet. I thought I saw 92 at one Petro but cant remember where it was.

A320
03-24-11, 03:35 PM
I don't see 94 at Petro's - Winnipeg

evois
03-24-11, 05:27 PM
most fuel nowadays have up to 10% ethanol. it is okay to use it. the E85 is 85% alcohol and will harm an engine not made to run it.

Punmax
03-24-11, 10:27 PM
Reviving an older thread here but of interest to me. I have an 07 Escalade ESV with the 6.2L. In Canada, Mohawk/Husky is the only station that has 94 Octane but if I recall is also 10% ethanol. Someone previously mentioned that the ethanol is not good for these engines as it runs it too lean. Can anyone else confirm or add to this idea/information?

Thanks

I don't think you can get gas without ethanol in it these days. It won't hurt your engine.

A320
03-24-11, 10:31 PM
According to Petro's site, 94 is only available in Montreal. From what I read in that thread linked just above, I guess 10% ethanol blends should be no problems with most conventional engines, except for mowers and other small engines. So I may have to head to Husky/Mohawk to get the 94 octane.

http://www.petro-canada.ca/en/wholesalefuel/314.aspx

Playdrv4me
03-24-11, 11:01 PM
Oopsie... I've been running 87 in the 'Lade, and I'm the one who usually preaches to others not to do just that. I seriously thought it was OK to use Regular in these and the curious thing is, it runs smoothly and gets better than average fuel economy. *shrug*

Tec80
03-24-11, 11:09 PM
You will get incrementally better fuel economy on pure gasoline vs. E10. So if you can find a station that has 100% gasoline vs. E5-15, and it is the same price and octane, it is a better deal.

Punmax
03-25-11, 12:46 AM
Oopsie... I've been running 87 in the 'Lade, and I'm the one who usually preaches to others not to do just that. I seriously thought it was OK to use Regular in these and the curious thing is, it runs smoothly and gets better than average fuel economy. *shrug*

Using 87 is perfectly fine. I've talked to several technicians, and they all said it was not a problem. It will only hurt your performance. Also 87 octane provides you with better mileage.