: Bought a Cadillac - Sort of. :)

Rocket88
03-02-10, 11:48 PM
Went searching for a STS, and ended up coming home with a Bonneville GXP. So, while I did not end up with most of the Cadillac, I did end up with the engine and the transmission from one. :)

Well, I think I got the seats too. Sure look like STS seats, even if they are padded and covered differently.

So while I won't be able to contribute much to most of the forums, I hope you guys don't mind me hanging around the Northstar section and try to help and try to learn.

Thanks!
Erik

Jesda
03-03-10, 12:47 AM
Pics? Pics!

Aron9000
03-03-10, 12:58 AM
So you got all the expense and hassle of owning a Cadillac without actually owning a Cadillac:hmm:

Sorry to be a dick. The GXP does have the redeeming quality of actually looking pretty cool and it does have a much nicer exhaust note than the 3.8 S/C V6.

Stingroo
03-03-10, 01:05 AM
I definitely never knew that those got a Northstar. I thought those were 3.8 S/C cars.

Cool!

Aron9000
03-03-10, 01:16 AM
I definitely never knew that those got a Northstar. I thought those were 3.8 S/C cars.

Cool!

GXP=Northstar
SEEi= 3.8 S/C V6
SLE= N/A 3.8 V6
SE= N/A 3.8 V6

ga_etc
03-03-10, 01:35 AM
GXP=Northstar
SEEi= 3.8 S/C V6
SLE= N/A 3.8 V6
SE= N/A 3.8 V6

I think you meant SSEi. The GXP only got the 275 horse N* though. Not that I would turn one down, mind you.

Stingroo
03-03-10, 01:40 AM
I never knew there was a GXP. I knew about the SSEi though. Pretty sweet. :)

Rocket88
03-03-10, 01:54 AM
So you got all the expense and hassle of owning a Cadillac without actually owning a Cadillac:hmm:

Yup, that's about the size of it. A little less electronics, and no $1000+ struts either. But all the other Northstar fun is certainly there.

Sorry to be a dick. The GXP does have the redeeming quality of actually looking pretty cool and it does have a much nicer exhaust note than the 3.8 S/C V6.

Yup, it sounds gorgeous. I mean, I waste so much gas, because I have to hear it as I am pulling away from a stop.

It is a gorgeous car (pics to follow). Drives beautifully.

The main reason for buying was that I was having a heck of a time, after more almost 2 months of searching, to find a STS that was in good shape, reasonably priced, and didn't have any mechanical issues. I don't mind having to fix stuff. All a part of owning a car. But I don't want to start off paying top dollar for a car, and then not being able to drive it home without an issue already.

Sure, if I get a great deal, that is one thing. But didn't find anything that was really tempting.

Oh, and didn't see any "dick" in your comments. All true what you said.

Stingroo
03-03-10, 02:28 AM
So... as they say on the Internet (and hint at in my signature):

:postpics:

77CDV
03-03-10, 03:34 AM
Congrats on your purchase! I'm sure you'll enjoy it for many years to come.

itschrome
03-03-10, 04:41 AM
http://www.auto123.com/04photo/cadillac/seville4dr-sts.jpg

VS

http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/02images/02sema/bonneville_gxp.jpg

dunno, based on exteriors i just might take the gxp

conrats on the new car

ben.gators
03-03-10, 05:08 AM
May I ask about millage and price on tag to get some idea about market condition for GXP? :D

Aron9000
03-03-10, 05:59 AM
dunno, based on exteriors i just might take the gxp

conrats on the new car

Yeah, but then you have to look at this monstrosity when you actually drive the car:

http://www.motivemagazine.com/emAlbum/albums/Manufacturers/Pontiac/Bonneville/2000-2005/Interior/pontiac-bonneville-005.jpg

blue07cts
03-03-10, 12:08 PM
IDK i actually like the interior, i was very close to buying one of these as my first car, congrats on the purchase!

Stingroo
03-03-10, 12:39 PM
Interior looks good to me. I don't see what all the fuss is about with all of this sudden "OMG WTF ITS NOT TOTALLY WRAPPED IT LEATHER IT MUST SUCK!" mentality people have about car interiors.

If everything is supposed to look like a Cadillac, why don't they buy a Cadillac? >_>

V-Eight
03-03-10, 12:43 PM
That cluster is hideous, reminds me of the inside of a Chrysler product.....

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
03-03-10, 02:26 PM
So much for the "Built exclusively for Cadillac by General Motors" badge atop the Northstar...

Stingroo
03-03-10, 02:53 PM
They never got one, I don't think. Buick uses the Northstar too.

The 4.9 had one though.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
03-03-10, 03:10 PM
Are you sure it has a Northstar? Everything I'm finding on it says it came with the 5.3 V8 (which makes more sense because that's what the Impala SS came with as well), not the Northstar.

Stingroo
03-03-10, 03:16 PM
"The Bonneville regained a V8 option on the GXP trim for 2004, its first since 1986, as a result of the discontinuation of the Oldsmobile Aurora. This opened up a "hole" in the GM lineup between Pontiac and Buick, allowing Pontiac to expand upmarket somewhat. The engine is Cadillac's 4.6 L (~281 cu in) Northstar V8, producing 275 hp (205 kW), 300 lbft (407 Nm) and giving 0-60 mph in 6.5 seconds."

- Wikipedia.

ben.gators
03-03-10, 04:54 PM
Outside looks awesome, but inside.....I really dislike those round curvatures in interior design of Pontiac. They are everywhere, in dashboard, door panel, AC vents, AC and radio controls. It reminds me Old Grand AM, which has one of the ugliest interior looks that I ever have seen. Starting 2004, new generation of Pontiac Grand prix and AM, have upgraded interior design, much better than old "roundy" one, but I have no idea why they have used that roundly design again in a high end car like GXP 2004!!!

itschrome
03-03-10, 05:26 PM
Are you sure it has a Northstar? Everything I'm finding on it says it came with the 5.3 V8 (which makes more sense because that's what the Impala SS came with as well), not the Northstar.

no, that was the grand prix GXP. which in theory was an awesome car. how i drove both the grand prix and the monte SS with the 5.3 and it was a dog. the reason was the damn Displacement on Demand. driving it felt like turbo lag. it always wanted to start on as few cylinders as possible, so you'd step on it and wait, then wait then boom your off.. f'ing retarded. and dont get me started on the stupid paddle shift option........

Stingroo
03-03-10, 05:48 PM
Displacement on Demand is a great technology though. It's better now, from what I hear, but I do know the earlier cars with it sucked.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-03-10, 07:51 PM
Nice ride! That's the ONE and ONLY good looking 2000+ Bonneville ever made. They finally got rid of all those scoops & panels that made the other Bonnevilles so ugly. I remember when the GXP's came out in '04...that was the summer I had my Roadmaster and would go around to all the different dealers to get brochures and stuff. I got the '04 Bonneville brochure, and I think I still have it somewhere. The Bonneville GXP kinda picked up where the Aurora left off, but a lot sportier & more aggressive looking than an Aurora. I thought of them as the "poor man's Seville".

I wonder, are they faster than an SSEi? It's got more horsepower & torque, but it doesn't have the low end grunt of the L67. It sounds much better though, and looks it so who really cares?

Now, regarding the 5.3L GXP's and Impala SS's.....those were ****ing fast! I vaguely recall a bit of hesistation from a dead stop, but maybe it's the traction control fighting? Because if you turned it off (and I've done this first hand), it'll lay good rubber from a 40mph roll.
DAMHIK :D :D

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
03-03-10, 10:44 PM
Wow, my bad y'all. I completely missed the fact that its a Bonneville. I was thinking Grand Prix obviously.

itschrome
03-04-10, 02:35 AM
Wow, my bad y'all. I completely missed the fact that its a Bonneville. I was thinking Grand Prix obviously.

What, are you for real? come, dont you know what kind of ranting, raving, inflammatory hell a thread can descend into with such callous disregard of the subject matter.. jesus man think of the OP! think of the children...

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
03-04-10, 05:33 AM
:histeric:

Rocket88
03-04-10, 09:10 PM
No, I can't say I love the interior. I am much more a leather and wood kind of guy than a leather and fake carbon fiber. But it does work well enough, once you get used to the plethora of knobs and buttons that Pontiac sprinkled across the dash. Not a huge fan of red lighting either, but I am getting used to it.

The outside, tho, is just drop dead gorgeous. Been working on it and cleaning it up a lot. Waiting for the weather to warm up a bit so that I can get some good wax on it, with a good buffing and polishing. Will certainly take some beauty shots then. I can't walk away from the car without turning for one last look. Been a while since I had a car like that.

It certainly appears to be a keeper!

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
03-05-10, 12:12 AM
I can't walk away from the car without turning for one last look. Been a while since I had a car like that.

I know that feeling, its amazing. :)

ben.gators
03-05-10, 01:22 AM
^^^
Yeah, me too, Whenever I want to choose a car to buy, one of main factors for me to pay attention is: Is the car attractive enough to enforce me to turn back and watch again or not?
In my previous single store apartment, my parking spot was just in front of my bedroom window, and once in while during the day and night, e.g. at 4AM when I woke up to pee, I took a look to it and then returned back to bed! :D

Kick94sts
03-05-10, 02:16 AM
Wow!!!! I never knew those got northstars!!! What a great looking car! Congrats!