: What ECM?

6speeder
03-02-10, 05:30 PM
What is the GM designation for the 2010 CTS-V engine computer? My 2007 LS7 uses the E-38.

neuronbob
03-02-10, 06:09 PM
According to another poster here (CadV IIRC), I believe it is E67.

CadV
03-02-10, 09:24 PM
According to another poster here (CadV IIRC), I believe it is E67.

Yep...

6speeder
03-03-10, 09:57 AM
Thanks, but RATS! With the E38 you can tune, and if you squirt a factory tune back in there's no way for a dealer to tell.

GMX322V S/C
03-03-10, 12:59 PM
^^^
? Wait4Me claims the same with his handheld tuner with our E67s--restoring the stock tune will leave no fingerprints. This claim is not without some controversy though (search this forum). Caveat emptor.

CIWS
03-03-10, 03:53 PM
You can have wait4me flash a spare ECM and send it to you, then keep your stock one unflashed and swap as necessary.

RemoWilliams
03-03-10, 05:24 PM
I'm curious. Not to high-jack the thread but, do you think that GM can get data through OnStar about your ECU? I would bet they could upload the status of your ECU and tell if it was tuned or not.

CadV
03-04-10, 12:27 AM
^^^
? Wait4Me claims the same with his handheld tuner with our E67s--restoring the stock tune will leave no fingerprints. This claim is not without some controversy though (search this forum). Caveat emptor.

In my opinion he is completely full of shit.

dvandentop
03-04-10, 01:45 AM
no one will really know til they need to use it

Prof
03-04-10, 09:36 AM
It's very hard for me to believe that altering of the pcm does not leave tell-tale signs...it's even more difficult for me to believe that after paying what we pay for these wonderful vehicles, that someone would even consider trying to hide the evidence of performance upgrades.

Seems to me that when you seek additional performance you become accountable for the impact on the vehicle. Why would anyone ever try to lie about what they have done to their vehicle for the purpose of saving money?

It just does not compute in my mind...it costs to modify...part of the cost is repairs that are incurred in the process. Why would someone try to defraud GM, to save money? If that is the attitude you have toward the company, don't buy their product.

Sorry my teacher instincts boils up on this topic...rant off.

6speeder
03-04-10, 09:43 AM
I'm curious. Not to high-jack the thread but, do you think that GM can get data through OnStar about your ECU? I would bet they could upload the status of your ECU and tell if it was tuned or not.

You may be right. That's why I won't get it tuned until I turn off OnStar.

DiamondWhtV
03-04-10, 10:02 AM
It's very hard for me to believe that altering of the pcm does not leave tell-tale signs...it's even more difficult for me to believe that after paying what we pay for these wonderful vehicles, that someone would even consider trying to hide the evidence of performance upgrades.

Seems to me that when you seek additional performance you become accountable for the impact on the vehicle. Why would anyone ever try to lie about what they have done to their vehicle for the purpose of saving money?

It just does not compute in my mind...it costs to modify...part of the cost is repairs that are incurred in the process. Why would someone try to defraud GM, to save money? If that is the attitude you have toward the company, don't buy their product.

Sorry my teacher instincts boils up on this topic...rant off.

I'm with you on that...my thoughts exactly

Prof
03-04-10, 10:04 AM
Glad to know that there are two of us...I often find myself wondering if I am the only moral scold left alive!

mpouls1
03-05-10, 12:54 AM
Glad to know that there are two of us...I often find myself wondering if I am the only moral scold left alive!

Lol no. Gotta pay to play. I enjoy the balance you bring to this forum. Sometimes I wonder if it's worth it 20 years from now if somebody would want my car modded. I love the car but I plan on keeping it indefinitely.

Prof
03-05-10, 06:40 AM
Planning a trip to Lingenfelter this spring and that will be the end of my GM Warranty...on the power train. I would still expect them to cover an electric window failure or stereo malfunction...but the Lingenfelter visit will then transfer the accountability to Roy! But I have a lot of confidence in this engine...and if something does go wrong...its just an opportunity to consider forged pistons, rods, some head work and maybe a little more radical cam!

nradcad
03-06-10, 11:14 AM
I've thought a lot about this. I'd never hide anything. In fact I'm gonna do a Lingenfelter upgrade and talk to the dealer about possible install.

Prof
03-06-10, 11:46 AM
I have a great speed shop that I use for my SRT 10...(Westech in Silver Lake Wisconsin)...and they do outstanding work on all kinds of performance vehicles...but I told Norm Brandes the owner, that I just wanted to go to Lingenfelter so that I could get the benefit of their experience with the CTS V...I really want the before and after dyno and I have to think that in doing multiple installs of the parts they have designed...there has to be some advantage.

Norm reacted by saying..."let me call them for you and see if we can arrange for you to help in the install just for the experience..." Wow! Now that would be a rush...being there when they do the work!!!

I'll post an after action report...

Q8 6.2
03-06-10, 05:49 PM
iF you tune your car then it will show a different CAL number when they scan it but if you return it back to stock then that CAL number gose back to stock and they CANT tell if car has been tuned..